As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First time Craigslist poster

mateo mmateo m Registered User new member
edited July 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
So one of the guidelines craiglist advertises is that one should not accept an offer that requires shipping and should meet in person for every sale. Last night I posted an ad about selling an old guitar for 300. Well within the day someone responded. Offered 40 dollars more and is willing to send the payment before receiving the product. However to me it seems to good tI be true. Should I be worried or am I being overly cautious

mateo m on

• Options
    Also I'm sorry for the pictures not being in order

• Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    I think you should remove the pictures with all that personal info and summarize what's going on in text.

• Options
    Noquar I took your advice thanks for the feedback

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    9 times out of 10 (maybe 99 out of 100) these are scams where you'll get a check, deposit it then send the guitar.
    Then the check bounces, or is otherwise fraudulent. Whatever it is, the check doesn't clear.
    You're out the money of the check, your guitar as well as any fees that may have accrued from you spending money that you thought you had.

Occasionally, the scammer will send a check for considerably more than the price of the merchandise, and ask you to return the excess in the form of a cashier's check or similar (often times accompanied by threats of law suits or calling the police, if this is the case invite them to do so).
    In this case, you're not only out the money you're owed and the merch, you're also on the hook for the additional money that you sent back.

If you do decide to sell to this person, make sure the check clears before you ship anything.
    But, yes, ideally you don't want to do shipping with Craigslist posts.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Do not ship it to them, especially if the payment they are offering is via a cheque or escrow service that they recommend.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tell them that you'll ship when the check clears. But yeah, probably a scam either way.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    Tell them that you'll ship when the check clears. But yeah, probably a scam either way.

Careful. The check in these scams will clear initially. It won't be until after a few weeks that it will trigger as fraudulent.

When you're selling stuff on CL, don't accept checks period.

Edit: Also, if you ever receive an offer for more than you're asking, especially if the offer includes something like refunding the difference for some weird reason, that's a 100% indicator of a scam.

Edit2: You can accept certified cashier's checks if necessary, but you should arrange to go together to the bank from where the check was drawn to cash it/transfer the money. This is common for large ticket items like cars.

For something like a guitar, get cash.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I did not know that a check could clear and then be declared fraudulent! Good to know.

Honestly, who pays for things with checks these days anyway?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, a check is never truly "cleared." Even after 30 days it can sometimes still retroactively bounce.

http://banking.about.com/od/checkingaccounts/a/clearchecks.htm

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I did not know that a check could clear and then be declared fraudulent! Good to know.

I have done some craigslist transactions using PayPal, but I had some heartburn about that even though the transactions went through OK. Craigslist is just so unregulated that it is just safer to do cash or maybe a trade.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    Depending on your location too, if you don't want to meet at your house, places like your Police Station / Mall Security area have designated "Craigslist areas". A safe, well lit, camera area that has regular patrols / in the same area as security.

If it was someone who was thinking of trying to rip you off, that kills the chances by like 95%.

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    To the experts out there, is there any risk with wires? I don't understand why Americans just aren't used to wiring money. If there's no risk involved, he should just wire the amount.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

As far as my Canadian experience goes, since this is a major part of my job, banks are required to make the funds available after 5 business days. However, when dealing with cheques from different banking institutions, or if the cheque has a fraudulent account number, it can take longer than that to confirm the trace, so the bank will bounce the cheque when they receive confirmation that the funds the cheque is trying to access do not exist. The longest time I've seen between a cheque cashed and bouncing was almost four weeks.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Basar wrote: »
    To the experts out there, is there any risk with wires? I don't understand why Americans just aren't used to wiring money. If there's no risk involved, he should just wire the amount.

The risk of a wire transfer is pretty much 100% on the sender. Once it's gone there's just about zero chance of ever getting it back, especially if it's international. This makes it extremely popular with scammers.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options

Wire transfers are extremely risky. You send the money, it's gone. If someone offers to pay you via wire transfer, be open to it, but it's very uncommon in anonymous transactions, at least in the US. Maybe hinge ardor fervent elsewhere.

As a seller, you want cash or cash equivalents like a money order or a trusted and verified certified check.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

The risk of a wire transfer is pretty much 100% on the sender. Once it's gone there's just about zero chance of ever getting it back, especially if it's international. This makes it extremely popular with scammers.

Not always, something like western union can be given like a check, which is still technically a wire transfer, then that can be withdrawn at a later point as fraudulent ("bounced" basically). If they wired/wrote-a-check for more than they owed and had you send the extra via your good checking account, you're fucked. Sure it's on the 'sender' but the extra is on you.

The absolute safest method is a money order right at their bank, then they sign it over immediately to the seller, and then have the cashier cash it (no counterfeit bills). Second safest is cash in a public place.

Never accept checks, unless it's your grandma or parents you trust 100% not to fuck you.

I think the UK/Europe uses a slightly different method than the US does. Ours take, on average, 3 days to deposit (some banks will give it instantly if you're in good standing) and up to 30 days to clear. I hear in Europe it's instantaneous clearing.

Bizarre US customary banking still in place I think.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Rent/utilities and very large purchases. My tuition was always paid by e-check and i bought my car with a check. Pay for car repairs by check usually too (although in the latter case i think the mechanic is trying to tax-dodge).

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I think the UK/Europe uses a slightly different method than the US does. Ours take, on average, 3 days to deposit (some banks will give it instantly if you're in good standing) and up to 30 days to clear. I hear in Europe it's instantaneous clearing.

Bizarre US customary banking still in place I think.

That's what I was going to say about it. At least here in the USA, wires are not (or not always) instant, so there's still the chance to have the money revoked after it looks like it hit your bank account.

If you're selling on craigslist, especially for small items (worth a few hundred USD at most), then just keep it local and cash in hand only.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Never accept checks, unless it's your grandma or parents you trust 100% not to fuck you.
    I feel like it is jaded that we have to quantify both your parents and you being 100% sure they aren't going to fuck you.

The worst is that I feel it is necessary.

Businesses use checks, individuals really shouldn't.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    zepherin wrote: »
    I feel like it is jaded that we have to quantify both your parents and you being 100% sure they aren't going to fuck you.

The worst is that I feel it is necessary.

Businesses use checks, individuals really shouldn't.

There's several PAers I've talked with in general that I wouldn't accept checks from them (edit: their parents) if I was their child.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I've done remote Craigslist stuff before. As a seller, I would only accept Paypal. As a buyer, I only offer Paypal, and then only as a business transaction. The seller eats a small fee but it means I can file a complaint if the deal goes sour.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    mateo m wrote: »
    So one of the guidelines craiglist advertises is that one should not accept an offer that requires shipping and should meet in person for every sale. Last night I posted an ad about selling an old guitar for 300. Well within the day someone responded. Offered 40 dollars more and is willing to send the payment before receiving the product. However to me it seems to good tI be true. Should I be worried or am I being overly cautious
    This is the thing with craigslist. If it seems too good to be true and is sending up red flags for you then it is probably a scam and I would avoid it.

Not everyone on there is a scammer and the website can be good but it is also super easy to take advantage of people.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Short answer, no. Don't risk it.

Long answer, no. Don't risk it. In cash, in person, and in public (Police Station preferred).

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    What have you ended up doing?

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Yeah, a check is never truly "cleared." Even after 30 days it can sometimes still retroactively bounce.

Uh...yeah but if a check bounces isnt it on the person who gave you the check to deal with the fallout? If its a personal check with all the info on it I have to think banks have a system to recognize if a check is real or not.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »

Uh...yeah but if a check bounces isnt it on the person who gave you the check to deal with the fallout? If its a personal check with all the info on it I have to think banks have a system to recognize if a check is real or not.

Your bank takes the money back and charges you a fee. You can certainly go after the person who gave you the check. Good luck if it was a scammer who already has your goods, though.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

Your bank takes the money back and charges you a fee. You can certainly go after the person who gave you the check. Good luck if it was a scammer who already has your goods, though.

Yeah, most the time the person who gave you the check isn't a real person.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    And if you passed a fraudulent check rather than just a bad one, thats on you.