As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games You'd Love to Run/Play In

• Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DeVryGuy wrote:
    I really want to run a game in which all the adventures are different fairy tales/nursery rhymes.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/gr01.html

I have some writing in this book. I have run the original d20 version at cons and have a group of players that come every year specifically for me to run this game.

EDIT: Scooped! DMAC beat me to it!

gredavin on
  • Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    I'd love a game set in depression era American South, like a combination of O Brother, Where Art Thou? and Carnivale.

I ran an oMage game using the cast from Carnivale as NPC's. All the magical people, however, were not in the game because the PC's were the ones with powers. Of course, they didn't really understand that they bent reality to their will, they just thought they were freaks and so joined a travelling road show.

The basic plot was that Management was a Nephandic mage who brought Orphan mages to his show and hired them so he could slowly corrupt them. It was a great game, where I put the players in situations in each town where no one decision was right or wrong, it was all about consequences and the effects of the choices they made.

Best game I ever ran. I did an actual play at rpg.net.

Linkage:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=251129

gredavin on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    That sounds very cool gredavin.
    Something I'd like to see done, just for the amusement/cheese/awesomeness factor, would be a Turtles in Time campaign done with the Palladium TMNT game (and I suppose using the Transdimensional TNMT supplement).

TMNT & Other Strangeness was the first RPG I ever played. My friend's older brother used to run games for us on our lunch breaks back in junior high. The actual Palladium rules are pretty complex, but I really liked the random animal tables and then balancing your Bio-E to build the type of character you want.

I tend to prefer more "street level" stories when it comes to TMNT, but something like the Turtles in Time arcade game could be a blast if it was kept fast-paced and nobody thought too much about the time travel aspect.

DMAC on
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I've always wanted to get a Robotech game going. I bought the book for it almost a decade ago and never got a group to play it. It has, in my opinion, one of the best character creation systems. We actually use it for D&D in my group for making up random characters, or for getting good ideas for PCs. It includes all sorts of crazy things, like phobias, prejudices, addictions, mental problems, and very good systems for addiction rehab and various mental and physical disorders. Very good for making characters really rounded out and realistic. And it's a simple system of dice rolling and checking charts, making a few decisions one way or another, very streamlined.

My favorite character ended up being a hemophyliac, deathly afraid of glass bottles, and a horrendous alcoholic. At one point, part of withdrawals from trying to quit drinking and being around so many glass bottles, he snapped, broken a bottle and killed the bartender with it. Then almost bled to death because he has gotten glass shards all in his arm. He was a VERY interesting character to roleplay ;p

tehmarken on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Without a doubt...

ELotH:TeS

Maybe not necessarily the official pen and paper RPG, but definitely the setting.

I'd like to play a Durud.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    MM Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    ever since I read it existed I wanted to try the ghostbusters rpg

if you're talking theoretical games, a post 2nd "akira phenomenon" akira rpg would be sweet

M on
    Bellyachin' on an empty stomach
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Planescape. I would shit my pants if someone started a game here.m Only PnP experience I have had and it was GLORIOUS.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    M wrote:

I have a used copy I picked up at a game store. My brother once borrowed a die from my room to use in a drinking game and ended up grabbing the special die that comes with the game which has the Ghostbusters symbol instead of the 1. :)

DMAC on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    M wrote:

I have a used copy I picked up at a game store. My brother once borrowed a die from my room to use in a drinking game and ended up grabbing the special die that comes with the game which has the Ghostbusters symbol instead of the 1. :)

Despite having never heard of the system until now I would be so up for a game on of this.

How does it play?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    30s pulp Savage Worlds, complete with Zeppelins, Nazis, ancient civilizations, Amazonian Boar-People, and Mu.

Now all I need are players.

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    DMAC wrote:
    M wrote:

Despite having never heard of the system until now I would be so up for a game on of this.

How does it play?

Ghostbusters used an early version of the D6 system from West End Games. Wikipedia has more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(role-playing_game)

DMAC on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    SUPERSUGA wrote:
    DMAC wrote:
    M wrote:

How does it play?

Ghostbusters used an early version of the D6 system from West End Games. Wikipedia has more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(role-playing_game)

I have the Ghostbusters game, and can confirm that it's awesome. I got it on ebay for a few bucks. I'm tempted to pick up Ghostbusters II when I see it.

WEG wanted a basic system that they could adapt to multiple games. Previously each game they made was pretty much it's own thing from the ground up, which is a pain in the ass when you want to spit out four or five games a year (remember this was in their boxed game days- they weren't yet using heavy supplement releases to support an ongoing system). Ghostbusters was the first generation, and 1st ed. Star Wars (which seems to be WEG's first step into heavy supplementation) followed shortly after. Later on they tried to sell it as a generic system, but it didn't do as well as they expected. WEG's current generic system is very loosely based on it, from what I hear.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    WEG's current generic system is very loosely based on it, from what I hear.

Really? I'd assumed it was just a minor evolution of their existing D6 system. They also put out a generic D6 system book back in the late 90's while they still had the Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Men in Black licences.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    DMAC wrote:
    WEG's current generic system is very loosely based on it, from what I hear.

Really? I'd assumed it was just a minor evolution of their existing D6 system. They also put out a generic D6 system book back in the late 90's while they still had the Star Wars/Indiana Jones/Men in Black licences.

That's just what I'd heard. I haven't bought it for myself since I'm not generally too fond of generic systems. If I'm going to go through the work to make a generic system work with whatever I'm doing, I'd rather start from scratch.

According to their website the system I was thinking of is called 'Legends' and is a variation of D6, and they're still making D6 'classic' stuff. 'Classic' is probably the generic system that grew out of the multiple game system, though I'm guessing a little changed through the editions.

Wheter the new stuff is good or not, the 80s WEG stuff still kicked ass.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I've been looking through the Little Fears book and man I would love to play it, fucked up as I think it'd be.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It sounds interesting, but it'll be hard to get a hold of. The English edition has been out of print for two years, and the publisher doesn't have any more copies. That means either finding a retailer who happens to have one, or catching it on eBay.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd murder someone to be able to find people to learn and play Heavy Gear with.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd just like one of my fucking shadowrun players to not be unavailable for the next million fucking years

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    Naked_NinjaNaked_Ninja Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Games by John Tynes sound very interesting, Puppetland in particular. Here is a link to a dual review of Puppetland and Powerkill. I like the idea of running this game and watching the players' faces as they slowly realize the underlying message of the game.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay looks fun too. It sounds like the system is brutal, allowing for some tense battles.

I'm going to have a hell of a time getting my group to run these. Since our time is limited, they won't want to waste it learning a new game. Not really a problem though, I still like me my D&D.

Naked_Ninja on
    Implementor.png
  • Options
    RazielRaziel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Shadowrun players are notoriously unreliable.

I think it's because they're afraid of using their brains.

"What the hell do you mean I can't just kill everyone who crosses me? I spent all this money on a Panther XXL assault cannon, after all."

Raziel on
    Read the mad blog-rantings of a manic hack writer here.

Thank you, Rubacava!
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I want to play Iron Kingdoms, or Shadowrun, or the Savage World of Solomon Kane (which is not out yet). I have no one to play with and no money to buy books. :(

Or pulpy action one, maybe kind of steampunkish. I am much more interested in action that straight roleplay. I have not played many RPGs, and it was always with a DM who was all about not letting us fight enough stuff.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    RanCiel810RanCiel810 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Last time I was back home, my good friend ran a phenomenal oWoD Mage game where we were all teenagers who just discovered our potential and knowing us each very well, tailored our challenges, losses, and triumphs quite accordingly. I'd love to just continue that game.

I never got the change to play an oWoD Changeling game, but that would be ideal. Good storyteller, heavy on exploration of the Dreaming. Oh man...

RanCiel810 on
    OUlH7J8.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd really love to play a game of Star Wars D20.

Shorty on
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Games by John Tynes sound very interesting, Puppetland in particular. Here is a link to a dual review of Puppetland and Powerkill. I like the idea of running this game and watching the players' faces as they slowly realize the underlying message of the game.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay looks fun too. It sounds like the system is brutal, allowing for some tense battles.

I'm going to have a hell of a time getting my group to run these. Since our time is limited, they won't want to waste it learning a new game. Not really a problem though, I still like me my D&D.

Warhammer FRPG is fun to a certain extent, but the game needs to be constantly revised. Once your players get past their first job on their Career Path, they generally can outfight just about anything if you use the standard version in the book. So basically, by the time your PC's reach what I'd estimate to be second or third level in any other game, they've basically outclassed most of the monsters or enemies you would put them up against at that level. Goblins, Orcs, Hobgoblins and the like all have a 30% chance to hit. Most of your players will be there or higher at character creation. So you constantly have to revise everything, and you can't run it off the page. It just doesn't work, and your players just smear through everything eventually. Also, you'll get a lot of bitching from people who want to play Wizards or Clerics because they won't get any spells of any kind until usually their third or fourth job in their carreer path.

The criticals are fun, though. Especially when players are basically hacking something apart until it eventually dies or they hit an artery or something vital. There's a lot of "Well, there goes his foot. There goes his hand. There goes his other foot. There goes his ear."

Between you and me, though, MERPs does it better.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well now that I have the 1st Edition box set, I'd really like to run/play a game of Ghostbusters, possibly on Halloween.

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    After reading SA's World War C articles, I suddenly want to do something silly with D20 modern.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sorry to revive a thread, but I just have to say that I would love to play a pen-and-paper game based on the Breath of Fire games, with all the different races available.

aett on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd love love love to do a 30s pulp campaign, and I've always had one in mind, too. Kind of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but for the pulp era. The Shadow. The Green Hornet. The Phantom. The Spirit. Those kinds of heroes.

Also, an urban low leveled superhero campaign would be fantastic to run. Really anything in M&M would be great.

And finally, I wrote this huge multiverse campaign I like to call Crisis on Infinite Tabletops I've always wanted to run. But I included so many in-jokes and references, I'd have to run it with my old group from back home, and they wouldn't do the neccessary solo bits beforehand.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I haven't played it myself, but Spirit of the Century is supposed to be a pretty good pulp game. I have a different game from the same people and I'm very pleased with it.

Also, The Green Hornet wins, even if Batman has time to prepare.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

You fail so hard.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Reynolds wrote:

You fail so hard.

No YOU fail so hard.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    Milquetoast ThugMilquetoast Thug Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just want to play in a decent old-style mage chronicle, that's all. Really.

Milquetoast Thug on
  • Options
    RalakanRalakan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I really really want to play Heroes Unlimited ... i have all the books and nobody to play with :(

Ralakan on
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Reynolds wrote:

You fail so hard.
    With or without Kato?

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    I'd love love love to do a 30s pulp campaign, and I've always had one in mind, too. Kind of a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but for the pulp era.

Oh man, I tried to make a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen game with a friend a few years ago. The plan was to take a big world map and add in all of the fictional locations mentioned in the New Traveler's Almanac. It was too much work, of course.
    Ralakan wrote:
    I really really want to play Heroes Unlimited ... i have all the books and nobody to play with

I hear ya. As a teen, I collected Heroes Unlimited and all of the TMNT/After the Bomb books, but never had a chance to do an actual campaign or anything. :\

aett on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I wanna run a new World of Darkness hunter game involving the players as a special ops squad deep in the jungles of central America.

It would be kinda like predator, but with bloodsucking monsters and evil dark god worshipers.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Reynolds wrote:
    I'd love to play/run a crazy martial arts/fighting game RPG. I've been trying for forever to run one in the Thrash rules, and another in a DBZ world (with Thrash or a freeform style).

I know your original post is pretty old, but I did want to recommend Feng Shui if you can find a copy of it. It's an RPG based on the Shadowfist CCG, and encourages over-the-top action and such. You actually get penalties for using boring attacks.

Character creation takes essentially no time at all; you pick an archetype (for example, Old Master or Karate Cop), pick some special abilities ("schticks") and kick ass.

I only got play once in college. I played a Big Bruiser who was an ex-pro-wrestler. One of my weapons was a stop sign. And I got to defeat an evil Earth Oni with a Stone Cold Stunner. After my teammate, a horrible mutant, made the ground all slipper by puking on it. Good times.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Reynolds wrote:
    I'd love to play/run a crazy martial arts/fighting game RPG. I've been trying for forever to run one in the Thrash rules, and another in a DBZ world (with Thrash or a freeform style).

I know your original post is pretty old, but I did want to recommend Feng Shui if you can find a copy of it. It's an RPG based on the Shadowfist CCG, and encourages over-the-top action and such. You actually get penalties for using boring attacks.

Character creation takes essentially no time at all; you pick an archetype (for example, Old Master or Karate Cop), pick some special abilities ("schticks") and kick ass.

I only got play once in college. I played a Big Bruiser who was an ex-pro-wrestler. One of my weapons was a stop sign. And I got to defeat an evil Earth Oni with a Stone Cold Stunner. After my teammate, a horrible mutant, made the ground all slipper by puking on it. Good times.

I do know about Fen Shui, yes. My friend ran a campaign, but I was never invited to play. Also, it is not free, while Thrash is free.

FS does sound very amusing, and I always wanted to try it out. Just never had the chance. My Thrash campaign is a bit of a deeper obsession. My DBZ campaign is also always in the back of my mind...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I remember when I was about 16 or 17 me and 2 buddies went to his rents' cottage. we had a seperate room above the garage.. we played war gods for N64 and took lots of acid. we tried SOOO hard to play an inexperienced Cyberpunk game that night.

I want to play that game again! but less acid this time.

so yeah Cyberpunk, possible while high.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I cannot die happy until I run a full-fledged, all out Delta Green campaign, using all the published materials and scenarios, culminating with the End Times.

I love Delta Green a great deal.

Professor Phobos on