As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [presidential election] is done with conventions

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I was thinking Timothy Dalton, but it's more obvious with young Tim Kaine.
    57922e6aa34ec.image.jpg

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Young tim kaine is so dreamy

aeNqQM9.jpg
    So It Goes wrote: »
    hey

hey

you guys

60 days to debate #1

45% chance Trump doesn't show up.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    hey

hey

you guys

60 days to debate #1

45% chance Trump doesn't show up.

The nowcast shows 58%.

• UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    As an Australian following this, how was the takeaway from the DNC for the folks in this thread? Getting a pretty good vibe from everything I've read\seen.

Fantastic
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    hey

hey

you guys

60 days to debate #1

Hey. We do not celebrate murder on this forum.

wbBv3fj.png
    Unlucky wrote: »
    As an Australian following this, how was the takeaway from the DNC for the folks in this thread? Getting a pretty good vibe from everything I've read\seen.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

It was incredible and made me feel proud of my party. We somehow managed to shift the party platform markedly to the left while reclaiming the moral center of the country that the Republicans have dominated for my entire lifetime.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

FUCK YES AMERICA

WE'RE GONNA WIN

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

It started very rocky, but it came together masterfully. The analogy I used earlier was that Obama laid it up for Clinton last night, and Hillary dunked it tonight. It wasn't a 360 through the lags back board shattering dunk, but it was a solid posterizing.

Given how well she spoke tonight, and how much of a talking pumpkin Trump can be when you give him a microphone, it's likely she takes him apart in the debates.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

alt response: well run show full of stars and compelling speakers. great human stories. I cried about our country's problems and injustices. I cheered and felt joy when optimistic solutions were discussed. I laughed when trump got skewered with pinpoint precision again and again. we had a coherent message and it was uplifting and professionally conveyed. almost no bad speeches.

we made the RNC look like a clown show.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

We're all heaps stoked, mate

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    also it speaks volumes that any and all apprehension from the first day's disunity has been forgotten in my mind.

alt response: well run show full of stars and compelling speakers. great human stories. I cried about our country's problems and injustices. I cheered and felt joy when optimistic solutions were discussed. I laughed when trump got skewered with pinpoint precision again and again. we had a coherent message and it was uplifting and professionally conveyed. almost no bad speeches.

we made the RNC look like a clown show.

It was a clown show. It was angry white men yelling at other angry white men for four days about brown people.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I had forgotten it by about 10pm on Monday night really.

Michelle spiked her microphone into the earth's core and we were off to the races.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Was a good convention. As a Texan I get to watch everything unfold knowing the vote I cast won't matter. I still have little hope. It's sad knowing my parents will vote Trump.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    i'm mostly delighted by all the conservative pundits eating their livers over what their party has become. Not just realizing it, but doing so publicly.

• UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Our last election campaign lasted, what? 4 weeks, tops? We don't have anything even remotely close to resembling the DNC\RNC, so getting to watch some of it was a fascinating insight into the American political system.

Cheers for the summaries!

Fantastic
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    Was a good convention. As a Texan I get to watch everything unfold knowing the vote I cast won't matter. I still have little hope. It's sad knowing my parents will vote Trump.

Moving to the state that split its electoral votes for Obama fills me with a little hope I wont just be casting my vote into the void.

It was incredible and made me feel proud of my party. We somehow managed to shift the party platform markedly to the left while reclaiming the moral center of the country that the Republicans have dominated for my entire lifetime.

I think it was Ezra Klein who wrote yesterday that Obama needs Clinton to win to cement his coalition as the default majority in Presidential elections. If they just show up for him then he's an anomaly.

This convention spoke to every part of that coalition and then yesterday and today tried to bring back white, blue-collar Midwesterners. It was confident in a way that maybe even the Obama conventions were not quite to the same degree.

KalTorak wrote: »
    i'm mostly delighted by all the conservative pundits eating their livers over what their party has become. Not just realizing it, but doing so publicly.

hello darkness my old friend....

KalTorak wrote: »

And it's not a small amount either, and not nobody names. Some of the names are known conservative bloggers and luminaries who are basically admitting their party has lost it's mind. On some level, I feel bad for them. As much as I disagree with their politics on a lot of issues, I think most of them are probably good folks who are watching something they believed in fall to utter shit under a demagogue.

check your local races. take your energy and look into your local party apparatus if you can.

cast your vote toward a future hard purple Texas.

watching Kaine's speech now

I am really liking this guy. He's a poverty lawyer true believer. You gotta respect that.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular

I can't stress my joy over the italicized. 04 is the first election I followed, largely because 2000 was the first one I really understood, and I've never grasped why the dems couldn't make this argument.

She said EVERYTHING I've always wanted to hear, she made the point for the things I believe in a way that pays full respect to love of country.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

*waves from Oregon*
    We never matter, not on the national level. Not unless we come up with some crazy idea like making weed legal.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-democratic-convention-2016-live-pence-says-roe-v-wade-will-be-1469737388-htmlstory.html
    GOP vice presidential nominee Mike Pence on Thursday predicted Roe vs. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion, would be overturned if Donald Trump is elected president.

“I’m pro-life and I don’t apologize for it,” he said during a town hall meeting here. “We’ll see Roe vs. Wade consigned to the ash heap of history where it belongs.”
    Pence really fills out the ticket with his hardcore social conservatism.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So I've got a Bernie fan friend who was late to the Clinton train on Facebook. She's been liking/commenting on a lot of people who sounded more diehard than her who have posted things like "I never thought I'd say this, but... I'm with her. Not just as a vote against Trump. She said all the right things, and I'm happy to vote for her this November."

I think the party is unified.

My 74 year old dad just texted me. He said he's voting for Hilary. He's not happy about it, he still has some reservations, but he said after that speech there is no way he can vote for Trump. This is a man who has voted republican my entire life, as far as I know. He's very much one of those moderate conservatives you see having an identity crisis right now.

*waves from Oregon*
    We never matter, not on the national level. Not unless we come up with some crazy idea like making weed legal.

dude. dude. Trump is supposedly going to target Oregon.

Like, we're not really in play but, I'ma get out there anyway.

Also lots of local races to look at!

That's always one thing about living in Oregon. We generally know who won the election before our polls even close, haha.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Isn't it great? :/

Of course, we're all vote-by-mail now anyway, so...

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    What a shift in 4 days. Early Monday j was at my lowest. I mean legit, the lowest I may have felt in my adult life. I've been blessed in life so thinking about not being able to pass that blessing onto my daughters because of president trump had me pretty damned depressed.

The booing Monday along with some crazy polls had me convinced we were going to lose this thing.

But then Michelle spoke. Then Bill. Then trump asked Russia to hack Hillarys emails. Then Joe. Then Barack.

I became confident that we were going to win. And tonight Hillary only helpedl further that.

I'm still scared but it's less a sense of inpending doom and more "I found a weird orange bump and need to see a doctor but it's probably nothing."

Hopefully it just turns out to be a cheetoh.

616610-1.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

check your local races. take your energy and look into your local party apparatus if you can.

seriously this

If Texas flips blue or even just becomes a reliable swing state the GOP has a problem it might not ever recover from

I mean, ya know, if making Trump their nominee isn't one already

Isn't it great? :/

Of course, we're all vote-by-mail now anyway, so...

I volunteered one time at a voter hotline that was just like, explaining to people how to vote and where to turn it in etc. Some people arrange for folks to pick up their ballots because they are disabled or housebound. It gave me good feels to volunteer!

Our EC vote may be foregone but don't let it keep you from getting involved if you want to.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

*waves from Oregon*

dude. dude. Trump is supposedly going to target Oregon.

Like, we're not really in play but, I'ma get out there anyway.

Also lots of local races to look at!

There's also fundraising.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

It started very rocky, but it came together masterfully. The analogy I used earlier was that Obama laid it up for Clinton last night, and Hillary dunked it tonight. It wasn't a 360 through the lags back board shattering dunk, but it was a solid posterizing.

Given how well she spoke tonight, and how much of a talking pumpkin Trump can be when you give him a microphone, it's likely she takes him apart in the debates.

I'm still not sure. He'll likely bluster and posture, show 15 minutes of research on some random thing, and have that be declared his victory for being surprisingly competent. People still get antsy about strong women, so she's going to have a tough line to toe where she's indignant about his bullshit, on point with policy, and still not get shouted over.

ztrEPtD.gif
    6a00d834515b2069e2017c32757292970b-pi.jpg

I mean, not just him this time, but you get the idea.

seriously this

If Texas flips blue or even just becomes a reliable swing state the GOP has a problem it might not ever recover from

I mean, ya know, if making Trump their nominee isn't one already

Eh, I mean, the GOP sits on a knife edge, but it could go either way. God forbid Trump wins and validates the extreme right ideology, we're in for a roller coaster ride. If Trump loses, but it's not a mandate, the moderates are still going to be playing tug of war for the soul of the party in 2020. If Trump gets trounced, like landslide trounced, it's an abject rejection of the far right and I think the GOP actually rebounds in 2020 with a strong moderate. It may not work in 2020, but it would lay the ground work for their swing back to center which surely must be the eventual outcome of a Trump loss big or small.

This discussion has been closed.