As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [presidential election] is done with conventions

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    That's always one thing about living in Oregon. We generally know who won the election before our polls even close, haha.

In my voting life I've lived in California and Montana. I've known where my state's electoral college votes were going the minute the candidate was picked. Fuck the electoral college.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Unlucky wrote: »
    As an Australian following this, how was the takeaway from the DNC for the folks in this thread? Getting a pretty good vibe from everything I've read\seen.

It started very rocky, but it came together masterfully. The analogy I used earlier was that Obama laid it up for Clinton last night, and Hillary dunked it tonight. It wasn't a 360 through the lags back board shattering dunk, but it was a solid posterizing.

Given how well she spoke tonight, and how much of a talking pumpkin Trump can be when you give him a microphone, it's likely she takes him apart in the debates.

I'm still not sure. He'll likely bluster and posture, show 15 minutes of research on some random thing, and have that be declared his victory for being surprisingly competent. People still get antsy about strong women, so she's going to have a tough line to toe where she's indignant about his bullshit, on point with policy, and still not get shouted over.

Presidential debates are not primary debates. If he starts doing the primary debate thing of just yelling over her, he'll get cut off by moderators who tend to be a little tougher for these. There is a lot more decorum to a presidential debate than a primary one. I don't think he has the temperament to even begin to compete in an actual presidential debate. It goes counter to all his "skills".

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Young tim kaine is so dreamy

"omg America ur dad s kinda hawt"
    "OMG WHAT GTFO"

Commander Zoom on
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    do you guys have good political reporters n such to follow on tweeter

I made myself a new account to curate a politics feed

Josh Marshall annnnnnnd you're done. Not really, Greg Sargent, Brian Beutler, Jamelle Bouie, Joan Walsh.

Jamelle Bouie at Slate is the best commentator of this election season.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    We are not just going to have Hillary Clinton campaigning.

President Obama, Michelle, and Joe Biden will be doing what time allows and Hillary has Bill and Chelsea as well.

I know she's unpopular and has the whole trust issue thing, but Trump just has himself, his unpleasant VP, and his even more unpleasant kids. After the embarrassment Melania suffered I doubt she is going to play much of a public role in this campaign. Trump has nothing to appeal to woman voters and Hillary has shown that she's going to fight him tooth and nail for white blue-collar men.

I feel much more optimistic now than ever before since this campaign started.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    CoglkkwUAAAEDt3.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I guess while we're telling stories, my dad used to be a republican mostly on economic issues, and I used to dread thanksgivings since my uncle (his brother) is very liberal. They would always get into huge fights around the presidential years over taxes. Then the GOP started to get weird to him and he felt like W did quite a poor job in his second term. McCain didn't really inspire him, and he didn't like Clinton at all but he liked Obama and voted for him in the general.

In 2012 he was embarrassed at how socially backwards the GOP was, and actually bought Obama 2012 stuff before I did. Now, in 2016, when I ordered my H car magnet, he was disappointed only because he didn't think I bought him one too (I did!) And just tonight when Hillary finished her speech and the endless tide of balloons was still raining down, he called me from outside the country just to talk about how much he loved the speech.

So great job GOP, you converted my father from a weak republican to a quite strong democrat in 8 to 12 years. And my mother who is generally mildly liberal but just doesn't care enough about politics to vote made sure her registration was updated when she saw what was happening on your side. Enjoy the votes for Clinton in PA.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Her being unpopular is overblown in this election precisely because Trump is equally as unpopular. Most don't really like or trust either of them, which in this bizarro world election is a huge boon for her. She just has to stay controversy free from here on out and stay sane and on message and she automatically looks more competent than Trump to everyone but his sycophants.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    southwick wrote: »
    Was a good convention. As a Texan I get to watch everything unfold knowing the vote I cast won't matter. I still have little hope. It's sad knowing my parents will vote Trump.

check your local races. take your energy and look into your local party apparatus if you can.

cast your vote toward a future hard purple Texas.

seriously this

If Texas flips blue or even just becomes a reliable swing state the GOP has a problem it might not ever recover from

I mean, ya know, if making Trump their nominee isn't one already

Eh, I mean, the GOP sits on a knife edge, but it could go either way. God forbid Trump wins and validates the extreme right ideology, we're in for a roller coaster ride. If Trump loses, but it's not a mandate, the moderates are still going to be playing tug of war for the soul of the party in 2020. If Trump gets trounced, like landslide trounced, it's an abject rejection of the far right and I think the GOP actually rebounds in 2020 with a strong moderate. It may not work in 2020, but it would lay the ground work for their swing back to center which surely must be the eventual outcome of a Trump loss big or small.

I'm all in favor of them recoiling from the far right and rebounding with a strong moderate

Mostly because I think that needs to happen before we can start really taking serious strides forward because congress is a thing but also I'd love to have a choice instead of "Yeah I mostly agree with this" vs "hahahahaha oh god fuck no just ew fuck this no"

HappylilElf on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Women in the suffrage movement, which fought for decades to secure a woman’s right to vote around the turn of the 20th century, were often encouraged to wear white during parades and demonstrations. Historians believe it likely represented purity and the movement’s elevated ideals. It was first used by British suffragettes, who chose white, green, and purple as the colors of their cause. The American movement then adopted them, later replacing the green frequently with gold.

During Clinton’s historic speech at the convention, some women recognized the link to history right away.

I am neither a woman, nor a person who recognized the link. I don't know if someone else posted this earlier. Picked up from JB.

http://qz.com/745349/hillary-clintons-all-white-pantsuit-at-the-dnc-recalls-centuries-of-american-feminist-history/

smCQ5WE.jpg
    southwick wrote: »
    Was a good convention. As a Texan I get to watch everything unfold knowing the vote I cast won't matter. I still have little hope. It's sad knowing my parents will vote Trump.

check your local races. take your energy and look into your local party apparatus if you can.

cast your vote toward a future hard purple Texas.

seriously this

If Texas flips blue or even just becomes a reliable swing state the GOP has a problem it might not ever recover from

I mean, ya know, if making Trump their nominee isn't one already

Eh, I mean, the GOP sits on a knife edge, but it could go either way. God forbid Trump wins and validates the extreme right ideology, we're in for a roller coaster ride. If Trump loses, but it's not a mandate, the moderates are still going to be playing tug of war for the soul of the party in 2020. If Trump gets trounced, like landslide trounced, it's an abject rejection of the far right and I think the GOP actually rebounds in 2020 with a strong moderate. It may not work in 2020, but it would lay the ground work for their swing back to center which surely must be the eventual outcome of a Trump loss big or small.

I'm all in favor of them recoiling from the far right and rebounding with a strong moderate

Mostly because I think that needs to happen before we can start really taking serious strides forward because congress is a thing but also I'd love to have a choice instead of "Yeah I mostly agree with this" vs "hahahahaha oh god fuck no just ew fuck this no"

Oh don't misunderstand me, I would love a resurgent moderate republican party. I'd love to see the party of Lincoln back. I may not agree with everything they say, but I agree with Obama when he says that we are stronger when we can have civil discourse on competing ideas. Right now civil discourse is impossible, a resurgent moderate republican party would likely allow it to occur again.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Her being unpopular is overblown in this election precisely because Trump is equally as unpopular. Most don't really like or trust either of them, which in this bizarro world election is a huge boon for her. She just has to stay controversy free from here on out and stay sane and on message and she automatically looks more competent than Trump to everyone but his sycophants.

She's a Clinton.

I expect the House to hold a hearing on waste at the DNC because they had balloons of varying sizes rather than one, standardized balloon. Also the fact that they paid people to inflate balloons rather than force schoolchildren to do it means they're wasteful tax and spend Democrats.

Taramoor wrote: »

She's a Clinton.

I expect the House to hold a hearing on waste at the DNC because they had balloons of varying sizes rather than one, standardized balloon. Also the fact that they paid people to inflate balloons rather than force schoolchildren to do it means they're wasteful tax and spend Democrats.

Which is fine, because the only thing less popular than Trump and Hilary is congress, so no one will pay attention or care what the house does.

• YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Elki wrote: »
    CoglkkwUAAAEDt3.jpg

On the one hand I try to deliberately avoid commenting on what she's wearing because I don't want to be sexist, I want to be all like "focus on her message."

But in pictures like this I think, "yeah, white really was a good choice."

Also, contest every state. 50 state strategy from the ground up. Trump has floated, for example, this ridiculous idea that he can win in New York. Let him waste money there! We can maybe pick up Ohio/Pennsylvania/Florida for a song.

Everyone chill the fuck out, she's got this.

Yougottawanna on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    But then Michelle spoke. Then Bill. Then trump asked Russia to hack Hillarys emails. Then Joe. Then Barack.

I became confident that we were going to win. And tonight Hillary only helpedl further that.

I can't wait till they start pounding the campaign trail. It's going to be like watching the Dream Team in Barcelona. The worst of them is exceptionally talented, and rest have GOAT resumes.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    CoglkkwUAAAEDt3.jpg

On the one hand I try to deliberately avoid commenting on what she's wearing because I don't want to be sexist, I want to be all like "focus on her message."

But in pictures like this I think, "yeah, white really was a good choice."

Also, contest every state. 50 state strategy from the ground up. Trump has floated, for example, this ridiculous idea that he can win in New York. Let him waste money there! We can maybe pick up Ohio/Pennsylvania/Florida for a song.

Everyone chill the fuck out, she's got this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1tyiWP9MSk

Holy shit that gif of Trump trying to touch Ivanka's butt is disturbing. Like, I get it, I'm sure it was just an awkward thing and a bad camera angle, but still.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So this is going to be completely tangential to everything, but well...I'm getting married to an immigrant in two months. Permanent resident, not citizen.

When we met, she was apolitical. She didn't really pay attention to things - we had similar values (we disagree on abortion, conceptually, but although she's pro-life her stance is "they're going to do it anyway, so better to keep it safe."), but she didn't really pay attention to American politics. I drew her in somewhat because I'm....well, into it quite a bit, watch The Daily Show, etc. As you can imagine, as an immigrant, she's not exactly pro-Trump, but she comes from a rather conservative place, and many of her friends from there are also conservative.

Tonight, while I was recording a podcast, she watched Clinton's speech of her own volition. First time watching her speak. And she posted about it on her Facebook about how she loved the portion of Clinton's speech where she talked about Trump's temperament and how he couldn't be trusted with nuclear weapons, and is talking down some of her conservative friends (no idea whether they're citizens at this point or not) over it, too.

I love this woman :)

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Bring on the debates!!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Saw there was like a 1000 new posts since I last checked the thread here and went "Oh god, they went through with that citizen's arrest."

Was pleasantly surprised to see that, no, they didn't.

Am very interested to see how the poll numbers turn out next week.

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Holy shit that gif of Trump trying to touch Ivanka's butt is disturbing. Like, I get it, I'm sure it was just an awkward thing and a bad camera angle, but still.

Repost of htm's must-follow rules for politicians on TV:

1. Bend your elbow when you wave to your supporters.
    2. Don't let your hand drift anywhere near your adult daughter's ass.

Hillary managed both tonight. I can vote for her in good conscience.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    My dog was absolutely mesmerized by the balloons.

zg82dnbxfltq.jpg

Also, holy shit. That intro from Chelsea, that Morgan Freeman narrated biopic, and then that impassioned+wonky speech?

Deal me the fuck in. Can I vote yet?

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    white purple and gold

she should have gone all the way. those are all the best colors!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwecRMPa2BM

They showcased so many of these little moments where Hillary is just a good human being in these videos. This is my favorite.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, we had two baby durrs that decided to also listen to Hillary's speech.

k7brqcxb07ny.jpg

Durrmocrats.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    well

oregon doesn't release results until the polls close; it's just that the counting is electronic, so we usually know pretty quickly afterward

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    We are not just going to have Hillary Clinton campaigning.

President Obama, Michelle, and Joe Biden will be doing what time allows and Hillary has Bill and Chelsea as well.

I know she's unpopular and has the whole trust issue thing, but Trump just has himself, his unpleasant VP, and his even more unpleasant kids. After the embarrassment Melania suffered I doubt she is going to play much of a public role in this campaign. Trump has nothing to appeal to woman voters and Hillary has shown that she's going to fight him tooth and nail for white blue-collar men.

I feel much more optimistic now than ever before since this campaign started.

I am thrilled Hillary isn't just ceding the white blue collar guy demographic

No you aren't going to get all of them, but who gives a fuck? You don't need all of them

Hillary is coming off as presidential, a leader of the whole country and not just the parts that agree with her.

At the same time she's taken bold strides to the left, I'm thrilled with our candidate right now

override367 on
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    well

oregon doesn't release results until the polls close; it's just that the counting is electronic, so we usually know pretty quickly afterward

We also vote exclusively by mail, so most of us are done long before election day anyway, aside from the weirdos who want to drop shit off in boxes the day of.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Disrupter wrote: »
    But then Michelle spoke. Then Bill. Then trump asked Russia to hack Hillarys emails. Then Joe. Then Barack.

I became confident that we were going to win. And tonight Hillary only helpedl further that.

I can't wait till they start pounding the campaign trail. It's going to be like watching the Dream Team in Barcelona. The worst of them is exceptionally talented, and rest have GOAT resumes.

What's going to be amazing is that a common theme in this convention was politicians working together with regular people. And Hillary has a vast rolodex at her disposal.

I'm hoping that this means that every single state will have non politician speakers who Hillary reached out to and worked with personally over the years. Putting actual, local faces on her resume.

Where as Donald couldn't even generate much in the way of personal testimony from his own family.

Schrodinger on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    white purple and gold

No purple and gold are terrible colors for terrible people

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I hope this gets made into an ad. Trump is a textbook Bully

The hard part it's that getting the rights approved for actual commercial use would be far more paperwork than it's worth.

You could include the parts that are just trump and just Hillary, though.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    I hope this gets made into an ad. Trump is a textbook Bully

The hard part it's that getting the rights approved for actual commercial use would be far more paperwork than it's worth.

You could include the parts that are just trump and just Hillary, though.

Wouldn't work. The whole point is that he is Every Movie Bully Ever.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    knitdan wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    white purple and gold

No purple and gold are terrible colors for terrible people

prince-there-will-never-be-another-like-him-944719.jpg

honovere on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Rewatching these speeches:

Out of everything, I think my favorite part of the convention was watching Bill's reactions to everything.

I just adored seeing him blown away by Michelle and Barrack's speeches :P.

edited July 2016
    Journalists openly taunting Trump, though Fallows tagged him.

Admittedly, TPM's preference is well known and transparent and Fallows was a Carter speechwriter so a partisan journalist, but he works for the bloody Atlantic.

enlightenedbum on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »

Durrmocrats.

Were they just fawning over her?

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »

Durrmocrats.

Were they just fawning over her?

Take your awesome and get out. I am ashamed of myself.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Unlucky wrote: »
    As an Australian following this, how was the takeaway from the DNC for the folks in this thread? Getting a pretty good vibe from everything I've read\seen.

It started very rocky, but it came together masterfully. The analogy I used earlier was that Obama laid it up for Clinton last night, and Hillary dunked it tonight. It wasn't a 360 through the lags back board shattering dunk, but it was a solid posterizing.

Given how well she spoke tonight, and how much of a talking pumpkin Trump can be when you give him a microphone, it's likely she takes him apart in the debates.

I'm still not sure. He'll likely bluster and posture, show 15 minutes of research on some random thing, and have that be declared his victory for being surprisingly competent. People still get antsy about strong women, so she's going to have a tough line to toe where she's indignant about his bullshit, on point with policy, and still not get shouted over.

Presidential debates are not primary debates. If he starts doing the primary debate thing of just yelling over her, he'll get cut off by moderators who tend to be a little tougher for these. There is a lot more decorum to a presidential debate than a primary one. I don't think he has the temperament to even begin to compete in an actual presidential debate. It goes counter to all his "skills".

I'm not so sure, the media love just giving him airtime to say whatever stupid shit he wants. Him talking is ratings. I don't think they would cut his mic, and a moderator isnt going to be able to talk over him. Heill just start arguing with the moderator and make a shitty pointed joke at the moderator.

If they have the balls to cut his mic, he wont show up to another debate, and/or heill walk off.

edit: He has nothing to gain by playing the game Hillary wants or america expects from candidates.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    DNC is a bigger draw than him. Which is killing him.

This discussion has been closed.