As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [presidential election] is done with conventions

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Consider that there's still a possibility of Gary Johnson entering the debate as well. Has trump attacked Johnson much?

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    i'm mostly delighted by all the conservative pundits eating their livers over what their party has become. Not just realizing it, but doing so publicly.

And it's not a small amount either, and not nobody names. Some of the names are known conservative bloggers and luminaries who are basically admitting their party has lost it's mind. On some level, I feel bad for them. As much as I disagree with their politics on a lot of issues, I think most of them are probably good folks who are watching something they believed in fall to utter shit under a demagogue.

It's been said before by me and others but: I don't feel the least tiniest bit sorry for them. They caused this mess with decades of stoking fear, rage and hatred in a cynical bid for their permanent Republican majority, and the result has been more than just reducing their party to a shambles. They've killed off journalism, ushered in gridlock, and brought toxic racism and misogyny roaring back into the mainstream.

There isn't a violin tiny enough for them.

madparrot on
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So I'm 45 pages and 2 days worth of convention behind, but thats okay because I'm going to hunker down in my hopium den, draw the curtains and mainline some hopium right into my fucking veins. Any suggestions on which speeches to watch?

My tentative schedule is as follows:
    Eleanor Holmes Norton - DC doesnt get much of a say in the workings of government the least I can do is listen to their rep at the DNC
    Anyone from California
    Bill de Blasio
    Jesse Jackson
    Karen Weaver
    GK Butterfield (dat name)
    Gavin Newsom
    Mike Duggan
    Martin O'Malley
    Sigourney Weaver - mostly because she's sitting between O'Malley and Jerry Brown
    Jerry Brown
    All of the victims of gun violence - gotta make sure I don't hopverdose so I'm gunna make see the inside rain again
    Military folks
    The Bidens
    Bloomberg - fuck it why not
    Tim Kaine
    The 44th President of the United States Barack Obama

Antonio Villaraigosa
    Maxine Waters - might skip since she's on the schedule for Wednesday
    Chad Griffin
    Sean Maloney
    Dolores Huerta
    Eric Garcetti
    Tammy Duckworth
    Nancy Pelosi
    Barbara Mikulski
    Democratic Women of the Senate
    Joaquin Castro
    Andrew Cuomo
    Jennifer Lim
    Fallen law enforcement
    Khizr Khan
    Ted Lieu
    Xavier Becerra
    The Clintons

Okay, looking at this list I think I'm going to be spending a little too much time in the hopium den...

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Absolutely add William Barber. And cut Pelosi. Granholm's funny and possibly drunk if you want to go for that.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    the General that spoke today was good imo, but I honestly can't say if I would personally find him worth looking for if I hadn't caught him live but I'm quite happy I did

more happy that that message was at the DNC than that it personally resonated.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Absolutely add William Barber. And cut Pelosi.

I'll definitely add Barber, but I gotta listen to the California reps so as much as I dont really care for her oratory style I'm going to be sitting through it.

• madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Consider that there's still a possibility of Gary Johnson entering the debate as well. Has trump attacked Johnson much?

I'm not digging through his tweets to find out, but I seem to recall Trump praising Johnson recently in a bid to siphon some BernieBros.

Oh and make sure to watch the introductory videos for the incumbent and candidate Presidents and VPs.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    How is Corey Booker not on that list?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    He said he's two days behind, Booker was Tuesday.

edited July 2016
    Oh and make sure to watch the introductory videos for the incumbent and candidate Presidents and VPs.

Oh definitely, I'm watching PBS's full convention stream so I'm just fast fowarding through the speeches I dont really care about.
    knitdan wrote: »
    How is Corey Booker not on that list?

He wasnt on Politico's list of speakers, did he speak on Monday? I kinda cherry picked Monday's speeches.

EDIT: Tuesday? I watched Tuesdays...how the hell did I miss Cory? Gunna fix that after NARAL lady's speech.

emp123 on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I posted the NYT earlier. Some more of the rest of America's top 10 newspapers. Chicago Tribune, Sun-Times, and Denver Post haven't posted theirs, yet.
    1bljUSzl.jpg

7H3COxJl.jpg

etwtleml.jpg

ft13JL8m.jpg

48rb0YUm.jpg

X7ql8Fal.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
    I guess it was Monday.

Monday was a real strong day.

Oh right it was Monday.

NYDN already endorsed Clinton. Washington Post anti-endorsed Trump last week so wouldn't be a surprise to see them follow suit. This is super early.

Not that it really matters, but it might be good news.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Watching these conventions it amazes me how some of these folks get so far in politics while being such awful public speakers.

Pelosi was downright awful. And I'm just like how can you be in politics and not be at least an above average speaker?

616610-1.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Booker was pretty good but he was trying way too hard to Barack every other line. It wound up more exhausting than anything else.

Disrupter wrote: »
    Watching these conventions it amazes me how some of these folks get so far in politics while being such awful public speakers.

Pelosi was downright awful. And I'm just like how can you be in politics and not be at least an above average speaker?

Forming relationships, raising money, kicking ass in Congress.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I, uh, kind of like the New York Post's front page there, even though I guess it's supposed to be a dig at Hillary? If it is, it's not really something that resonates as an attack with me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not their target audience anyway.

If I'm wrong about the New York Post being generally right-wing in its presentation, then somebody please correct me, because I can never keep these New York / Washington Post / Times things straight.

steam_sig.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I, uh, kind of like the New York Post's front page there, even though I guess it's supposed to be a dig at Hillary? If it is, it's not really something that resonates as an attack with me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not their target audience anyway.

If I'm wrong about the New York Post being generally right-wing in its presentation, then somebody please correct me, because I can never keep these New York / Washington Post / Times things straight.

Right wing, Murdoch owned.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    NY Post and Washington Times are bonkers conservative, Washington Post wants to bomb everyone and cut entitlements but is for minority rights so get called liberal somehow, New York Times is basically NPR liberal. Not willing to condemn the GOP but politely supports liberal stuff.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Unlucky wrote: »
    As an Australian following this, how was the takeaway from the DNC for the folks in this thread? Getting a pretty good vibe from everything I've read\seen.

It was incredible and made me feel proud of my party. We somehow managed to shift the party platform markedly to the left while reclaiming the moral center of the country that the Republicans have dominated for my entire lifetime.

I can't stress my joy over the italicized. 04 is the first election I followed, largely because 2000 was the first one I really understood, and I've never grasped why the dems couldn't make this argument.

She said EVERYTHING I've always wanted to hear, she made the point for the things I believe in a way that pays full respect to love of country.

This shit has been cemented in the public consciousness since at least the Vietnam War. In many ways, I'd call that whole era the origin of alot of these ideas of what "left" and "right" values are in America too. There's been alot of attempts to fight back on this conception too at various times, at various levels for various parts of it, but it's never really seemed to work. I'd blame part of it on the sheer laziness of the media and the public and such in just sticking to the standard playbook and ignoring what's going on.

I think in alot of ways this is the first time the Democrats really could hit back hard at this issue because Trump has presented a sort of unique opportunity based on his reputation and ideas. He ceded the terrain on a ton of these core ideas and the Democrats have, smartly, surged in and taken it. They positioned themselves to be the ones defending America from Trump and his Russian buddies. At least for the moment anyway. We'll see how it all plays out. But they saw the opening and they made probably the best play you could hope for it.

Jesus fuck Cory Booker is good at this, even Bill is digging it. Shame about his VC defense last election, but still.

This is from a while ago, but I just found it. From Jane Coaston, who is awesome but usually I read her write about football.
    OF COURSE I’M FUCKING CALCULATING. I’M RUNNING FOR GODDAMN PRESIDENT. THIS SHIT TAKES CALCULATION AND FORETHOUGHT AND TABULATION AND EXCEL SPREADSHEETS BECAUSE SOME STATES HAVE OPEN CAUCUSES AND SOME STATES HAVE CLOSED PRIMARIES AND OTHER STATES HAVE, I DON’T KNOW, A HIGH PRIEST SHEEP WHO DECIDES, AND I HAVE TO KNOW WHICH IS WHICH. FOR. FUCK’S. SAKE.

edited July 2016

Right wing media loves to bring up the $200,000 speaking fee thing because "oh look she's rich and out of touch".

The "transcripts" thing is based on an attack Bernie made repeatedly during the primaries about how she gave a speech to Goldman Sachs "and she won't release the transcript!" The right wing has picked it up and added it to the arsenal.

You'll notice the NY Post also used the most unflattering photo they could find for the story.

knitdan on
  • Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Did this get a mention yet? I found it fascinating.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Never give up, never surrender!

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

Right wing media loves to bring up the $200,000 speaking fee thing because "oh look she's rich and out of touch".

The "transcripts" thing is based on an attack Bernie made repeatedly during the primaries about how she gave a speech to Goldman Sachs "and she won't release the transcript!" The right wing has picked it up and added it to the arsenal.

You'll notice the NY Post also used the most unflattering photo they could find for the story.

Remember the trump ghostwriter who's entire existence was debatable because people wondered if she was a fictitious fall person?

Her speaking fee was listed at $35,000.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

Nah but he would if Johnson was going to be in the debate

I'd love for him to get in there because I think he'd at least peel off the remaining bernie bros that won't vote for hillary

• HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Ok stayed up way past my bedtime but- I will lend you my copy of the constitution - That is major MAJOR burn!

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
    I'm up through the Congressional Black Caucus and while Jesse Jackson was a little disappointing (I think the first half of his speech was really him just stating things he couldnt believe he would have to address), but I really like his "Its healing time, its hope time, its Hillary time".

Hakeem Jeffries kinda upstaged him though:
    1) its a choice between the most qualified vs the least qualified
    2) Secretary of State vs Secretary of Hate
    3) Donald Trump is a bounced check, Hillary Clinton is money in the bank soo good

I was hoping to get through Wednesday tonight, but its 2am and I have work in the morning. Gunna watch Harry Reid and Gavin Newsom and call it a night... Wednesday's convention has been good though.

Horus wrote: »
    Ok stayed up way past my bedtime but- I will lend you my copy of the constitution - That is major MAJOR burn!

That entire speech was incredible, but that line will stay with me for a very long time. I loved how the audience teared up as they were cheering.

Oh I see Harry Reid decided to swing his giant stones around. Awesome

• OptyOpty Registered User regular

If the cover was coming from a place I'd expect a joke it'd be a really funny one but I have a hunch it's actually meant to be serious and so it's not as funny in that context.

I read that President Obama decides what is included in Trump's security briefings.

My instant "OhThankGoodness!" response was quickly replaced by a surge of amusement that Obama could put anything in those briefings and Trump would believe it and repeat it at parties.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    http://www.theonion.com/article/hillary-clinton-young-girls-should-have-equal-oppo-53385

Hillary Clinton: ‘Young Girls Should Have An Equal Opportunity To One Day Feel Power Coursing Through Their Body’
    The Onion wrote:
    PHILADELPHIA—In a stirring, heartfelt address Thursday night at the Democratic National Convention in which she laid out her vision for the future of the United States, presidential nominee Hillary Clinton stated that every young girl in the country deserved “an equal opportunity to one day feel raw, unbridled power coursing through her body.” “I want to live in an America where every single girl has the chance to feel that the entire world is her puppet to command and to become intoxicated by the overwhelming euphoria that comes with knowing she can crush anyone, anywhere, at any time,” said Clinton, her voice growing louder and more emphatic as she suggested that Americans needed to do more to close the gender gap and ensure that female youths from all walks of life could pursue futures in which they’re continuously possessed by a rapturous bliss from wielding sweeping authority constrained by no legal or moral bounds. “My dream is that someday soon, it will not seem at all out of the ordinary for my granddaughter to literally quake with exhilaration from holding dominion over millions of people who have no choice but to comply with her every word. I will do everything I can to make sure that she, and every young girl like her, grows up in a nation that places no restrictions on her opportunities to feel total, limitless power pumping through her every vein.” Clinton concluded by listing several policy proposals that she hoped would help spark an unquenchable fire for control deep inside young girls’ very cores and set them on a path to eventually basking in the warm, all-consuming glow of possessing unchecked supremacy.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
This discussion has been closed.