As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [presidential election] is done with conventions

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Criminally.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Donald Trump is easily going to be remembered in history as the most prolific, petulant, entitled asshole in existence.

Generations from now, regardless of the election, he will be remembered as a national embarrassment.
    Here is an interesting question.

If he loses (and we hope he does), does he run again in 2020?

I doubt his ego would be able to handle being trounced in the primaries. Which is what will happen.

If he doesn't win this time, the GOP is going to fight hard to reclaim the message that they just ceded to the Democratic Party last night.

This is what people said in 2008 and 2012 as well. So far they've only been moving further and further right every time.

What's to the right of a Putin-loving isolationist fascist?

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

hey donnie

what did she make up

give us a list, eh?

She made up how she criminally concealed the records of her criminally ordering the Benghazi attack causing the criminal deaths of Americans inside the 33,000 emails she criminally deleted from her criminally set up email account.

but he said lies about Trump

she didn't even talk about Trump all that much, really

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    One of the best speeches that wasn't in prime time or from a big name, and it wasn't due to delivery.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z7lN7nQjG0

I missed this because of the Twitch shenanigans last night. Just watched it now and was choking back tears (and then laughed when he pulled out the Constitution). What a fucking rollercoaster. Bless these people.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

hey donnie

what did she make up

give us a list, eh?

She made up how she criminally concealed the records of her criminally ordering the Benghazi attack causing the criminal deaths of Americans inside the 33,000 emails she criminally deleted from her criminally set up email account.

Crimin(all)y, Oceanic!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

hey donnie

what did she make up

give us a list, eh?

but he said lies about Trump

she didn't even talk about Trump all that much, really

And that's the most criminal thing of all.

edited July 2016
    Well at least his old pal Joe Scarborough will have plenty of company under that stalled bus

Atomika on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Enc wrote: »
    Donald Trump is easily going to be remembered in history as the most prolific, petulant, entitled asshole in existence.

Generations from now, regardless of the election, he will be remembered as a national embarrassment.
    Here is an interesting question.

If he loses (and we hope he does), does he run again in 2020?

Oh hell no

The day after, he'll be blowing it off as something he was only doing for funsies and how if he was taking it seriously he'd have won in a landslide

And then he'll climb to the top of his tower and resume getting sued

Is Trump this universe's incarnation of the Crimson King?

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    WTF is an "average scream"?

She's shrill

but like, so-so

so basically a normal talking voice then?

Ok, so the conventions are over, and I'm going to revisit something Nate Silver said in 2009

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republican-death-spiral/
    Thus the Republicans, arguably, are in something of a death spiral. The more conservative, partisan, and strident their message becomes, the more they alienate non-base Republicans. But the more they alienate non-base Republicans, the fewer of them are left to worry about appeasing. Thus, their message becomes continually more appealing to the base — but more conservative, partisan, and strident to the rest of us. And the process loops back upon itself.

thus spaketh the oracle of election seasons

Mike Bloomberg, the two-term republican mayor that managed to win dem-heavy NYC, wouldn't do well in an election?

that's just a weird things to say

kaid wrote: »
    WTF is an "average scream"?

She's shrill

but like, so-so

so basically a normal talking voice then?

But it's unpleasant because ladies with their gossip and their shrieking

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Surely we'll start seeing balloon drop montages today.

For some perspective, here's the clownshoes version from 2004. If you watch long enough, you get to hear a DNC official drop the F bomb on national television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FTtIbkTWTY

I can't find a good short clip of the Carter balloon fiasco, but it was a mess.

Last night, on the other hand, was amazing. Elder party statespeople acting like grade schoolers joyously drowning in a ball pit.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Well at least his old pal Joe Scarborough will have plenty of company under that stalled bus
    yeah i was going to say, i thought he was a fan of morning joe
    but then i remembered that assuming continuity of thought for trump is a bit out there

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ok, so the conventions are over, and I'm going to revisit something Nate Silver said in 2009

Thus the Republicans, arguably, are in something of a death spiral. The more conservative, partisan, and strident their message becomes, the more they alienate non-base Republicans. But the more they alienate non-base Republicans, the fewer of them are left to worry about appeasing. Thus, their message becomes continually more appealing to the base — but more conservative, partisan, and strident to the rest of us. And the process loops back upon itself.

basically the electoral version of how 4chan or Stormfront forms

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Mike Bloomberg, the two-term republican mayor that managed to win dem-heavy NYC, wouldn't do well in an election?

Yeah seriously

"Bloomberg would lose so bad!" So...they would elect a democratic governor, then? What's your point, here, donny?

• P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    also reverend william barber's speech was great

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    One of the best speeches that wasn't in prime time or from a big name, and it wasn't due to delivery.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z7lN7nQjG0

That speech was biting.

Oh, you want to ban all Muslims from the U.S.? I'm a Muslim and I've laid my son upon the altar of freedom. What have you ever sacrificed Trump?

• HounHoun Registered User regular

hey donnie

what did she make up

give us a list, eh?

She criminally made up how she criminally concealed the criminal records of her criminally ordering the criminal Benghazi a-criminal-ttack causing the criminal deaths of Americriminals inside the 33,000 criminal emails she criminally deleted from her criminally set up criminalmail acriminalcount.

Criminal.

Isn't this the same thing as the Evaporation Effect?

You keep purity testing yourself into oblivion, you're gonna get smaller and smaller

The weird thing is due to how the factions within the GOP often are at odds with each other (pro-israel bloc vs. anti-semites, libertarians vs. social conservatives, puritans vs. log cabins), the party is constantly fighting over what purity even looks like, so it's always going to keep fighting amongst itself to capture the Purest Scotsman version of what a Republican looks like.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Tim Kaine, on CNN, moments ago.

"Before I go, I just want to tell the American public, if you want to learn to play an instrument, try the harmonica. It's ok to suck. In fact, thats how you make half the notes."

Technically that's incorrect. Drawing air through the harmonica by sucking and regulating the air pressure, one can bend those notes, usually a semitone but sometimes by a whole step. This means that when you're sucking, it is possible to make far more than simply half the notes; one can also overblow each of the 10 holes, but it still does not add up to half the notes that way, and overblowing is far more difficult than bending.

tumblr_lo5jd43OCf1qdnwiro1_500.gif

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Tim Kaine is doing morning interviews.

I wonder if he'll bring orange slices.

No fucking way he brings Orange slices.

Tim Kane shows up with that Dunkin' Donuts "Box O Joe" and a bag of creamer and cups.

...and that's BEFORE he goes out to the car to get the bagels and TWO different types of cream cheese.

You'll offer him $5, sure. But he doesn't want it. You'll get him back next time.

And while one of those creams cheese is a fancy flavor the other one is straight-up plain. Sure it's boring but he knows that's what a lot of people want for a quick breakfast and he isn't trying to show off.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Looks like someone finally gave Donnie a briefing of what was said about him. He's been on a disjointed rant this morning, tweeting about how small people are and what failures everyone who called him out were.

ztrEPtD.gif
    Javen wrote: »

Yeah seriously

"Bloomberg would lose so bad!" So...they would elect a democratic governor, then? What's your point, here, donny?

I just can't wrap my head around what he's even trying to say.

Bloomberg was fairly popular among 'pubs, is super rich, and supported some fairly draconian policing policies -- all which the GOP usually goes gaga for.

Bloomberg just happens to think, like many other moderate Republicans, that Donald Trump is a sad little grifting carrot-man

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    (It was a good joke, Kaine)

(Keep rockin' on with your goofy uncle personality)

Isn't this the same thing as the Evaporation Effect?

You keep purity testing yourself into oblivion, you're gonna get smaller and smaller

The weird thing is due to how the factions within the GOP often are at odds with each other (pro-israel bloc vs. anti-semites, libertarians vs. social conservatives, puritans vs. log cabins), the party is constantly fighting over what purity even looks like, so it's always going to keep fighting amongst itself to capture the Purest Scotsman version of what a Republican looks like.

Yes but every faction in the GOP considered themselves the base. The core of the Republican party is pure pro-business economic principles. The core of the Republican party is deeply faithful Christian values and moral authority. The core of the Republican party is military force projection abroad.

But as it turns out,
    In reality, the gravitational center of the Republican Party is white nationalism.

"Before I go, I just want to tell the American public, if you want to learn to play an instrument, try the harmonica. It's ok to suck. In fact, thats how you make half the notes."

Technically that's incorrect. Drawing air through the harmonica by sucking and regulating the air pressure, one can bend those notes, usually a semitone but sometimes by a whole step. This means that when you're sucking, it is possible to make far more than simply half the notes; one can also overblow each of the 10 holes, but it still does not add up to half the notes that way, and overblowing is far more difficult than bending.

OKAY DR BUZZKILL

Yeah seriously

Bloomberg was fairly popular among 'pubs, is super rich, and supported some fairly draconian policing policies -- all which the GOP usually goes gaga for.

Bloomberg just happens to think, like many other moderate Republicans, that Donald Trump is a sad little grifting carrot-man

He's trying to say:

"STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TALKING SMACK ABOUT ME

THEY ARE BAD PEOPLE

PAY ATTENTION TO ME INSTEAD

I AM GOOD

ME ME ME ME ME ME"

OKAY DR BUZZKILL

Look, as the forum Politifact of Harmonicas, I get so very few opportunities to do my job. Let me have this.

We rate Tim Kaine's claim as Half True.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    That speech was biting.

Oh, you want to ban all Muslims from the U.S.? I'm a Muslim and I've laid my son upon the altar of freedom. What have you ever sacrificed Trump?

No see, he's given money to veterans charities.
    That is, his business has given money to veterans charities. Millions. Maybe millions, anyway. Lots of money, you wouldn't believe how much.
    Which charities? Oh, we don't want to publicise that, you wouldn't know them anyway, they're in Canada. Wait, hold on...

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

OKAY DR BUZZKILL

Look, as the forum Politifact of Harmonicas, I get so very few opportunities to do my job. Let me have this.

Didn't mention Benghazi.

Rating: Pants on Fire

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I...yes, actually, that's true. I would likely not believe it if Donald Trump were to say how much he gave to veteran charities.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

OKAY DR BUZZKILL

I read his joke not as "you must suck in to play half of the tones available on the instrument", and more "when playing the notes in a song, you spend half the time breathing in as breathing out."

Houn on

Yeah seriously

He's trying to say:

"STOP PAYING ATTENTION TO THE PEOPLE WHO ARE TALKING SMACK ABOUT ME

THEY ARE BAD PEOPLE

PAY ATTENTION TO ME INSTEAD

I AM GOOD

ME ME ME ME ME ME"

What about all of this evidence that says you are not, in fact, at all good. What about this thing you said that suggests that you are, actually, quite bad?

I NEVER SAID I WAS GOOD

SHUT UP

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Huma Abedin seems legit and great and it is a shame about all that Carlos Danger baggage

poo
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Stop feeling good about things! Everything is terrible! EMAILS! BROWN PEOPLE! ONLY I CAN SOLVE!"

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    6a00d834515b2069e2017c32757292970b-pi.jpg

I mean, not just him this time, but you get the idea.

We need one with Hillary in it (and Kaine in the background holding some smores)

Huma Abedin seems legit and great and it is a shame about all that Carlos Danger baggage

https://youtu.be/7_GvoUgLm9E?t=37

This discussion has been closed.