As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Idiots Guide to PC Building

124»

• imperial6imperial6 Registered User
    edited November 2007
    I would just get a case without a power supply because in theory it should be cheaper. With cases in general you can read reviews and decide what's best for you...I haven't heard a lot about Raidmax cases personally but it seems like it'd be fine.

And yeah, what Malkor said. If you're planning on upgrading to a 22" monitor, I would go for the 3870 right now, assuming you can find it close to its target $220.

imperial6 on
  • JacksNsomniaJacksNsomnia Registered User
    edited November 2007
    So even though the 3870 is 60 dollars less than the 8800GT it is a better choice? Could you explain why this is and will it work with an Intel chipset?

In terms of PSUs, my friend recommends this... Any opinions?

EDIT: What are some of the better cases out there?

JacksNsomnia on
    24584849if1gs7.jpg
    edited November 2007
    That PSU is way more expensive than what you need and hasn't had the extensive positive reviews the corsair models have. If you want a modular PSU go for the corsair 520 instead of the 450, otherwise the 450 will be fine.

The 3870 performs about 15% below the 8800gt for about 15-20% less cost. Either would be a good choice, but seeing as how the 8800gt isn't available anywhere that was kind of an easy call. If you want to wait a few weeks for both models to be fully available, that's fine, and you might save a few bucks...but it will be weeks not days before this is the case.

imperial6 on
  • JacksNsomniaJacksNsomnia Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Well I'm willing to wait on the 8800GT so I think I will still go with that as my video card. In terms of total setup, how does this look?

EDIT: What are the benefits of a "modular PSU?"

JacksNsomnia on
    24584849if1gs7.jpg
    edited November 2007
    I like it. Here's the same PSU 30 bucks cheaper with free shipping: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373100

imperial6 on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is my case

I really need help on picking a procecessor and motherboard because all the ones I read about keep popping up on newegg as open box and that is a waste of money for a rookie like me. I just need a pair under $100 each that fits with my case and has 248 ram pins. I am waiting for the 8800gt as well and will get a hard drive to fit the motherboard. I will also get a media card reader to install (the kind that reads cards and floppies).

RoyceSraphim on