As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:HW] Patch 3.3 is live, Get to it!

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    It's not about cycling visible targets, it's about automatically selecting the next target after you defeat your current enemy.

Again, it'll only automatically highlight the next enemy if it's attacking me. If it's attacking anyone else in my party, my dude will just stand there until I click on the enemy myself. It's an extra couple of seconds that could mean the difference between life and death with my party.

• IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Tab will cycle through, but it doesn't do a stellar job of picking targets. It goes left -> right, and it will pick anything within targeting range... So that pack in the other room is included if they're in your view. There is a "target nearest enemy" that's keybindable, I use that and just maneuvering the camera to circumvent tabbing to something off in the distance.

Old old WoW had some kind of magic algorithm that managed to pretty much always tab to what I wanted, but the last time I played (like a month in MoP) it didn't really feel right anymore.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    I could swear FFXI had it so that you would always automatically target any enemy that was aggroing anyone in your party. It's baffling why that isn't in this game.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    This is the opposite of what you're looking for, but as DPS I made a Macro for targeting the target of my focus and always make the Tank my focus. That generally helps me not accidentally get aggro, but I'm still doing leveling dungeons so don't know how well it will work later.

I think you can make macros to target the target of whatever party member is in a specific slot (ie. Party Member 2, which is probably the Healer), though for that to do what you want it to do then they would need to be targeting the enemy that is hitting them. You'd have to make three separate macros though, for the Healer and 2 DPS slots.

I think I remember reading that there is a Macro command for targeting the nearest engaged enemy as well ("/bt" or something like that) which might work more like how you want it to.

• SnowglobeSnowglobe Registered User regular
    I was messing with character config the other day, and I'm pretty sure I saw something about managing which targets tab cycles through.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What's a scholar/summoner to do if they die in a fight and are raised while Aetherflow is deep on cooldown? Chug an ether and try to get the fairy/dots back up, respectively?

Enlong wrote: »
    What's a scholar/summoner to do if they die in a fight and are raised while Aetherflow is deep on cooldown? Chug an ether and try to get the fairy/dots back up, respectively?

That's generally my strategy. Fairy is #1 priority since her healing is "free" for me, then just triage through until mana is stable.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I could swear FFXI had it so that you would always automatically target any enemy that was aggroing anyone in your party. It's baffling why that isn't in this game.

You had to be facing the monster, but yes. Ffxi also targeted left to right starting from center, so it was quite easy to force the next target when tabbing.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hey guys just wondering, am I the only nutcase that uses toggle instead of hold for their cross bars?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Huh. I generally just 'tag' all enemies with an Unmend or Unleash, then tab between them. Usually to the next target when the current one is 10% or less.

Hey guys just wondering, am I the only nutcase that uses toggle instead of hold for their cross bars?

I use mixed, so I can get the L2 -> R2/R2 -> L2 extra bars working for SMN and all the pet crap. But, I generally use them as toggled bars, yes. Much easier that way.

I also made it so only bars with combat abilities are shown when my weapon is drawn, and only bars with travel and other non-combat things are shown when my weapon is sheathed.

edited July 2016
    Got my glowy claymore finally. The novelty of PotD wears thin pretty quickly. The first 20 floors are painfully easy and the last 30 are just tedious. Oh, yay, another room with a bunch of the same boring mobs to kill simply to take time off the clock.

I know that the devs have said that this is only the beginning, but they need to add more variety ASAP. I won't miss those five generic environments anytime soon.

That said, it's still an i235 weapon in about a week's time, so it's mostly worth it.

Nightslyr on
    I'm using it as a crash-course in MCH, to see how far I want to take the class. So I like that, at least.

I guess the early (level 35) opener for that class is Hot shot -> Lead Shot -> Rapid Fire -> Reload -> Split Shot -> Slug Shot -> Reassemble -> Clear Shot -> Split Shot -> Slug Shot -> Clear Shot -> Split shot until Slug Shot procs -> Quick Reload -> Slug Shot -> Clear Shot

Or something like that?

Looking ahead in the class, I guess once Wildfire is gained, Wildfire would be used right after Lead Shot.

I have MCH up to 40. Haven't played it in a while, but I think I did it along those lines.

MCH is really opener heavy/spikey due to cooldowns, correct? It always felt like I did better against single targets, and a ton of damage at the start.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I'm using it as a crash-course in MCH, to see how far I want to take the class. So I like that, at least.

I guess the early (level 35) opener for that class is Hot shot -> Lead Shot -> Rapid Fire -> Reload -> Split Shot -> Slug Shot -> Reassemble -> Clear Shot -> Split Shot -> Slug Shot -> Clear Shot -> Split shot until Slug Shot procs -> Quick Reload -> Slug Shot -> Clear Shot

Or something like that?

Looking ahead in the class, I guess once Wildfire is gained, Wildfire would be used right after Lead Shot.

MCH dps guide:

Is wildfire up?

If no, who gives a shit you hit like a wet noodle

If yes, literally jump off a bridge if you think it would increase your DPS.

I'm mostly just being snarky because I think MCH is what I'm gonna be leveling next.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    "Standard" MCH opener is:
    Prepull:
    Hypercharge, Hawk's Eye, B4B, Raging Strikes
    Hot Shot on pull
    Potion
    Lead Shot ->Reload + Wildfire
    Split Shot -> Rapid Fire + Quick Reload
    Slug Shot -> Reassemble
    Clean Shot -> Richochet
    Split Shot ->Gauss Round
    Slug Shot -> Head Graze/Blank
    Clean Shot -> Head Graze/Blank + Gauss Barrel OFF!
    Split Shot etc...

But wait, you may be thinking. Gauss Barrel off?!? But isn't Gauss Barrel supposed to be left on?
    Gauss Barrel off when you have no oGCDs and no Clean Shot is technically a DPS improvement. A minor one at that. However in the opener, getting an auto-shot at the tail end plus one more GCD with a second Split or a Slug Shot is worth it because of the front-loaded nature of having no gauss barrel.

The alternative opener: Note this does require zero hesitation and a reasonable amount of skill speed
    Prepull: Start with at least 1 ammo
    On pull: Gauss Round (Optional) SLUG SHOT -> Hypercharge + Hawk's Eye + B4B + Raging Strikes
    Hot Shot -> Potion
    Lead Shot -> Reload + Wildfire
    Clean Shot -> Rapid Fire + Quick Reload
    Split Shot -> Ricochet
    Slug Shot -> Gauss Round/Head Graze/Blank
    Split Shot -> Reassemble
    Clean Shot -> Gauss Round/Head Graze/Blank
    Clean Shot -> Barrel Off
    Split Shot etc....

The second opener gives significantly stronger Wildfires due to triple Clean shots

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Just need 50% of level 59 and then I'll actually have hit cap in an MMO.

Kinda not sure I wanna do Vault/Gubal like four times to do it though even if it's the fastest way.

Can't decide which I love more: the horizon gear, the old world defender kit , or the goobue suit.

With the exception of a couple, most of those look like sets that would have existed anyway, or just straight-up taken from Monster Hunter.

Come on, people, just add spikes. Lots and lots of spikes.

I'd love for them to add Ramza's outfit in the game.

Nah, add Luso's outfit instead.

Pizza sword and all.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I use mixed, so I can get the L2 -> R2/R2 -> L2 extra bars working for SMN and all the pet crap. But, I generally use them as toggled bars, yes. Much easier that way.

I also made it so only bars with combat abilities are shown when my weapon is drawn, and only bars with travel and other non-combat things are shown when my weapon is sheathed.

How in the hell..?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
    Takel wrote: »
    Prepull:
    Hot Shot on pull
    Potion
    Slug Shot -> Reassemble
    Clean Shot -> Richochet
    Split Shot ->Gauss Round
    Split Shot etc...

But wait, you may be thinking. Gauss Barrel off?!? But isn't Gauss Barrel supposed to be left on?
    Gauss Barrel off when you have no oGCDs and no Clean Shot is technically a DPS improvement. A minor one at that. However in the opener, getting an auto-shot at the tail end plus one more GCD with a second Split or a Slug Shot is worth it because of the front-loaded nature of having no gauss barrel.

The alternative opener: Note this does require zero hesitation and a reasonable amount of skill speed
    On pull: Gauss Round (Optional) SLUG SHOT -> Hypercharge + Hawk's Eye + B4B + Raging Strikes
    Hot Shot -> Potion
    Clean Shot -> Rapid Fire + Reload
    Split Shot -> Ricochet
    Split Shot -> Reassemble
    Clean Shot -> Quick Reload + Barrel Off
    Split Shot
    Slug Shot etc....

The second opener gives significantly stronger Wildfires due to triple Clean shots

Thanks for the info.

I'm now considering rearranging my MCH hotbar to more easily reach Head Graze, for weaving.

Speaking of hotbars, how many people here use a controller and crossbar, even on PC?

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

I like 11 or so of those outfits and want all of them.

488W936.png
    Some of those are really nice.

Mostly I just kinda want healer gear that branches out from the robes/priest look. Not that I don't like the look, just that it's 90% of gear we get.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Takel wrote: »
    Prepull:
    Hot Shot on pull
    Potion
    Slug Shot -> Reassemble
    Clean Shot -> Richochet
    Split Shot ->Gauss Round
    Split Shot etc...

Hot Shot -> Potion
    Clean Shot -> Rapid Fire + Reload
    Split Shot -> Ricochet
    Split Shot -> Reassemble
    Clean Shot -> Quick Reload + Barrel Off
    Split Shot
    Slug Shot etc....

Thanks for the info.

I'm now considering rearranging my MCH hotbar to more easily reach Head Graze, for weaving.

Speaking of hotbars, how many people here use a controller and crossbar, even on PC?

It's tempting with how many buttons I have for SCH.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Oh hey, 20, 36 and 37 are probably my favorite designs.

43 isn't too bad either. I wouldn't use the hat, though.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    20 is probably the strongest design in terms of detail and it feels like it belongs in the FF universe. You can see it usable in FFXI, XII, XIII and XIV...

The problem with it IMHO is that it treads on the discretion of the developers: Invoking the name Allagan is very very tricky as you need to find a way to fit it into the game that's believable and won't put them in trouble legally ie: Can't cash shop it, and I don't think you can use it as raid gear. Not that there's any scope for it at the moment.

36 I don't feel is particularly great. Aside from the top which has the overcoat; nothing else in that gear design is any different to what's already in the game.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    edited July 2016
    I like 14 and 31, but they don't feel all that tanky to me.

I need #2...

Ishtaar on
    Man, Allagan stuff comes out of the plumbing in this game. An easy handwave could even be to have it be a creation of the Ironworks, based on Allagan design.

edited July 2016
    You really can't throw a Lalafel too far before hitting some unearthed Allagan toaster or blender after the calamity.

Yukira on
    "This is the Alpha Weapon? It's just a toaster!"
    "You gotta start somewhere."

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I would say most of those armor designs could work well in the game, honestly, and given enough time they should think about just adding them while giving credit and rewards to their creators.

488W936.png
    I got momentarily excited thinking the turtle armor was a nod to the Quadav from FFXI.

I'll still take Adamantoise gear. Hope that gets included.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm gonna be pissed if that gobbue outfit and bucket helmet don't make it in now.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »

How in the hell..?

I'm not sure if it's available for KBAM, but it's in the settings somewhere. I fiddled with my setup a few months ago in order to do it based on a post I saw in Reddit. IIRC, it's under crossbar settings, but may be under a different category.

You can specify which bars you want R1 to cycle through when your weapon is drawn, and which bars to cycle through when it's sheathed. So, for me, bars 1 and 2 are my combat bars. Bar 3 is my pet bar accessed through the L2 -> R2/R2 -> L2 functionality I mentioned above. One of my other bars (I think 5 or 6) has all my travel stuff on it - teleport, return, sprint, company chocobo, mount and minion roulettes, and the aether compass. The other non-combat bar has the A/B/C waypoints and target markers.

It makes it a ton easier on controller to do it that way. Right now, I main DRK (although if Red Mage ever comes out and isn't a healer, that'll be my new main). I have my goto abilities and cooldowns (aggro combo, beginning of damage combo (which is continued in the same buttons on bar 2), Salted Earth, Unmend, Unleash, Scourge, Shadowskin, Blood Price, Dark Arts, etc.) on bar 1, and damage combo enders and other assorted things on bar 2.

It's really fluid. Only 'downside' is running around with my sword drawn most of the time in dungeons to keep my ability bars on screen. But, I'd rather look like a goober while kicking ass than the opposite.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    @Nightslyr I have that option too. Lemme link this:
    aywkvjpukwi8.png

snip.PNG 297.9K
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg

It was the best way to end the Primal Demeter's threat.

Yukira wrote: »

It was the best way to end the Primal Demeter's threat.

/clap

It seems kinda lame now that POTD allows for some measure of end game progress while leveling alts that you only get Eso's for roulletes if it's on your 60.

This discussion has been closed.