As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:HW] Patch 3.3 is live, Get to it!

19495969798100»

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hm?

But I've received poetics, esos, and lore for various roulettes on my level 60 characters.

Unless I mis-parsed that.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    No, I'm saying it's weird that you have to queue as level 60 to get them as opposed to being able to level another class while working on end game.

Considering the main reason those rewards are on roulettes is to put bodies on the queues it doesn't matter much at all what level the character doing it is.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    You have to queue as a level 60 to get lore tomestones in roulettes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yes, that is what I am complaining about. Thank you for establishing that.

• Options
    ElucidaElucida Registered User regular
    Yes, that is what I am complaining about. Thank you for establishing that.

I think the idea is your rewards are either XP or tomes, but not ever both (for current content). Also new thread when?

FFXIV: Sylvinae Mori
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    No, I'm saying it's weird that you have to queue as level 60 to get them as opposed to being able to level another class while working on end game.

Considering the main reason those rewards are on roulettes is to put bodies on the queues it doesn't matter much at all what level the character doing it is.

I agree, which is why I think this distinction is intended as a subtle time sink by the developers because they want players, in the interest of them playing the game longer and queuing more at all levels, to have to choose a priority; leveling a job or leveling an endgame gear level. Seeing as leveling all the jobs on one character is a big fun feature of the game and takes a while to achieve, having it be tied to endgame progression more directly through the roulette would probably result in people leveling all the jobs faster and leveling more of them because why not at that point, thus eating up content in those jobs faster. It might affect other things however, like the balance of classes and jobs you see in the roulette. Roulettes would also be stuffed with people, while perhaps the open world would be left more barren for newer players and players disinterested in group leveling because everyone is leveling in the roulettes.

Continuing from that, having more things to potentially gear up at the cap level to the point where a player, at 60 with all their desired jobs, or all the combat jobs, will look at the endgame grind ahead of them to gear those jobs and then be psychologically torn by the overwhelming number of choices available. If they can't get the resources to gear up jobs as they go about leveling them specifically, or after the fact in a relatively shorter amount of time then it takes now over a period of weeks, they may ultimately feel discouraged from continuing with the game, at least insofar as leveling combat jobs or grinding gear at endgame is concerned.

The thought process of the devs is probably to have them feel a compulsion to want to play longer by having them be forced to invest time on one or a smaller number of jobs after the leveling grind, by placing them neatly in the gear grind required to get their newly minted 60 whatever geared for endgame content, which is ostensibly the purpose of getting the job leveled to cap in the first place. They don't necessarily want to encourage anyone to get all the jobs geared, but without overtly discouraging them from investing in the time sink that is leveling all the jobs for fun.

Whether or not that actually works as intended or drives people away from the gear grind or even the game due to how many things you need to grind just to gear even one job over a period of weeks is hard to say. I certainly know that having gotten everything to 60, I feel no special compulsion to play beyond new patch content that drops story stuff as Heavensward raiding really hasn't felt as accessible or enjoyable as ARR endgame raids were, and so I am left not feeling really all that eager to chase gear drops in Alex Midas at the mercy of RNG during my increasingly precious free time. Others might be making the same calculation this far into the expansion, those who don't have a set static or set goals beyond combat stuff like crafting.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Oh, I absolutely get that the answer is to create a grind and slog because lolendgame.

It's just rather frustrating when one of the biggest features for the game to me is being able to play and level multiple classes at once. Knowing I'm throwing Eso away if I do roulettes on other classes is just aggravating. Having end game be so closed to being able to participate in it and also level up alternative classes isn't really fun for me. I was hoping to get started on MCH or BRD once I hit 60 on AST because filling bars is always a simple joy but I probably wont now? For ages because any time I touch those classes I'm not progressing at all. Which was fine when it was just a choice of who gets XP but now I'm staring at far more of a slog to gear up in order to participate and it's full of fiddly inventory management and crafting that turns me off playing.

I would legitimately pay more a month to be able to:

1) Run a roulette on each class, rather than once per day.

2) Be able to have a portion of my XP (assuming they put in level 60 XP for this) go to another class while I play my AST. Both to level up stuff and to avoid having to play classes I find dull for cross class skills.

EDIT: Weirdly if I level anything it should be my WHM because from what I can see Rowena's best stuff is sharable by things with the same role (splitting DPS by their usual stat requirements obvs). Which... yeah, I really like WHM but it'd be nice to have a DPS or tank without staring at a massive wall during which time my AST does next to nothing progress wise.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Oh, I absolutely get that the answer is to create a grind and slog because lolendgame.

It's just rather frustrating when one of the biggest features for the game to me is being able to play and level multiple classes at once. Knowing I'm throwing Eso away if I do roulettes on other classes is just aggravating. Having end game be so closed to being able to participate in it and also level up alternative classes isn't really fun for me. I was hoping to get started on MCH or BRD once I hit 60 on AST because filling bars is always a simple joy but I probably wont now? For ages because any time I touch those classes I'm not progressing at all. Which was fine when it was just a choice of who gets XP but now I'm staring at far more of a slog to gear up in order to participate and it's full of fiddly inventory management and crafting that turns me off playing.

I would legitimately pay more a month to be able to:

1) Run a roulette on each class, rather than once per day.

2) Be able to have a portion of my XP (assuming they put in level 60 XP for this) go to another class while I play my AST. Both to level up stuff and to avoid having to play classes I find dull for cross class skills.

EDIT: Weirdly if I level anything it should be my WHM because from what I can see Rowena's best stuff is sharable by things with the same role (splitting DPS by their usual stat requirements obvs). Which... yeah, I really like WHM but it'd be nice to have a DPS or tank without staring at a massive wall during which time my AST does next to nothing progress wise.

How much time do you have to play? Because you can nearly cap eso (1750/week without roulette bonus) for ~1-1.5 hours of grind a night.

• Options
    Varies but two hours a day isn't that hard for me to put in.

Might feel better about this once I've actually got some variety in places to grind. Seeing as I just have the research facility and thordan.

Honestly 90% of my salt came from hitting 60 and learning I don't get my artefact gear for free like in the base game. Certainly a bad introduction to everything.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    The three Heavensward jobs have their artifact gear tied to esoterics currently, yes. Thankfully those have gotten easier and easier to farm over time. So once you get more dungeons and raids unlocked you can get a ton of those flowing to net you all the pieces of the sets.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Speaking of where do I go to get Alexander unlocked? I'm assuming it's not story based.

• Options
    Varies but two hours a day isn't that hard for me to put in.

Might feel better about this once I've actually got some variety in places to grind. Seeing as I just have the research facility and thordan.

Honestly 90% of my salt came from hitting 60 and learning I don't get my artefact gear for free like in the base game. Certainly a bad introduction to everything.

Yeah, the problem is that you're not actually at endgame. You still have 8 level 60 dungeons to unlock. Once they're unlocked, you'll be rolling in eso. Just running the Research Facility (150) and one of Antitower/Amdapor hard (100) a night gives 1750 a week.

I feel your pain, though. I took time off between 3.2 and 3.3, and suddenly my i195 gear wasn't good enough to advance through the story (end of 3.3 is i205). I only had Sohr Kai unlocked at first through the story, had to grind lore with the crappier dungeons to get gear to actually run it, then had to unlock Hullbreaker Isle hard, which opened up the roulette. PotD is actually great, if really grindy, for all three types of tomestones. At level 60, you get:

Floors
    1-10 - 10 poetics, 20 eso, 10 lore
    11-20 - 20 poetics, 40 eso, 20 lore
    21-30 - 30 poetics, 60 eso, 30 lore
    31-40 - 30 poetics, 60 eso, 30 lore
    41-50 - 50 poetics, 100 eso, 50 lore

Full run totals: 140 poetics, 280 eso, 140 lore

A full run takes about 2 hours, I'd say. Maybe more. Plus, you also get points to an i235 weapon. I got the weapon in, I think, 9 days of full runs, 1 run/day. But, it's really, really grindy. I doubt I'll go back without some major mechanical improvements to the experience.

• Options
    Speaking of where do I go to get Alexander unlocked? I'm assuming it's not story based.

Idyllshire and Dravanian Hinterlands. You'll know it when you see it.

488W936.png
  • Options
    I'm trying really hard not to think about how ill likely be heading into potd for the weapon.

• Options
    I'm trying really hard not to think about how ill likely be heading into potd for the weapon.

I had fun the first few times. Not so much after that.

Thinking about it, it really feels like a tutorial dungeon for higher level content. The bulk (90%) of it is dealing with trash. A few of the monsters have gimmicks (hornets, owls, minotaurs, wraiths, a few others) you have to watch out for, but they're mostly straightforward. The bosses have familiar mechanics, with only the last one being slightly tricky (one attack you need to literally turn away from). They should've called it Hall of Moderate Difficulty.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So, I got the print of my wedding band today:
    20160729_172920_zps8ovtmizo.jpg

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yukira wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    "This is the Alpha Weapon? It's just a toaster!"
    "You gotta start somewhere."

It was the best way to end the Primal Demeter's threat.

/clap

I'm glad someone appreciated this.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Just posted this to the Steam thread but putting it here because of the Final Fantasy connection:

So, those of you paying attention to my signature below (and Steam activity) may have noticed that I've been playing FFXIV a lot over the last month or two. Now the game is really good on its own and I'm enjoying it again because of the game's own strengths. However, it should come as no big surprise that FF 14 pulls tons of references and homages to previous Final Fantasy games. Well, since the only FF game I had previously played was half of FF3, and my FF knowledge is best described as "functionally non-existent", all such references are entirely lost on me.

Well, two friends of mine decided that it was 'criminal' that I was missing all the references and homages to previous Final Fantasy games and so have taken matters into their own hands to "fix" it. So that's why I and they are now playing through a select list of Final Fantasy games. I was informed that FF4 was the starting point and we've made it a good way through the game.*

FF4 Spoilers:
    Directed to go to the Tower of Babel by the Dwarves in the underworld and beat the Doctor in the Tower. No idea how far into the game that is, I'm guessing somewhere in the 40-60% range. :smile:

Next directive is to stop the Gigantic Cannons in the Tower.

And as the idea just followed pretty naturally, we're going to start streaming us playing these games because why not. Our first broadcast was last night and is up on my twitch channel for the moment (link in signature.) A longer session is planned for tonight, start time will be in the 7-8pm cst range. General schedule is going to be shorter streams on Wednesday evenings and longer runs on Friday evening/night.

The currently planned list is 4, 6, 7, tactics, 9, 10, kingdom hearts in that order. More may be added at the end, if we do actually get that far and want to continue.

So update to the Final Fantasy stream, tonights and future streams are going to be from instead of my own twitch account.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I had fun the first few times. Not so much after that.

Thinking about it, it really feels like a tutorial dungeon for higher level content. The bulk (90%) of it is dealing with trash. A few of the monsters have gimmicks (hornets, owls, minotaurs, wraiths, a few others) you have to watch out for, but they're mostly straightforward. The bosses have familiar mechanics, with only the last one being slightly tricky (one attack you need to literally turn away from). They should've called it Hall of Moderate Difficulty.

Which is fantastic and a great treat for casual scrubs like myself. It is the only content I have played in the past week (totals on 3 hours) and I havent gotten past floor 31 yet. And I can amp up the difficulty any time if I go in solo or with a class I am not familiar with.

Aldo on
  • Options
    So from what I can tell it'd be cheaper eso wise for me to buy materials for a crafter to make 220 stuff with than it would be for me to buy the i200 artefact gear.

1) Is this correct?

2) Do we have any crafters available for me to mooch off?

3) If the answer to the above is yes: What things do I actually need?

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what specific items you want, but you can use this to find exactly what you need:

http://www.ffxivcrafting.com/equipment

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2016
    Well, since you didn't say what job you are equipping, I will just provide info on one healing piece.

The Antiquated Orison Robe of Healing for White Mage is 410 tomestones of esoterics. It is ilvl 200 and may be upgraded to an ilvl 210 piece by trading it and an Illuminati Gobtwite to an NPC in Idleshire.

The Eikon Cloth Acton of Healing is an ilvl 220 piece and requires a Level 60 Master Weaver IV to make and the following materials:

3 Lightning Clusters
    2 Wind Clusters
    2 Eikon Cloth
    1 Eikon Leather
    1 Eikon Iron Ingot
    1 Crawler Silk
    3 Grade 1 Mind desolvants

Eikon Cloth requires Master Weaver IV and the following materials:

3 Lightning Cluster
    2 Wind Cluster
    2 Eikon Fiber (Only available by spending 20 eso each)
    3 Frost Cotton Boll (60 Botanist with regional Folklore book for the Coerthas region and only available at 1Pm to 2PM Eorzia time)
    2 Rainbow Cotton Boll (51 Botanist)

Eikon Leather requires Master Leatherworker IV and the following materials:

3 Earth Cluster
    2 Wind Cluster
    2 Eikon Hide (Only available by spending 20 eso each)
    3 Camphor (See below)
    2 Wattle Bark (60 Botanist with the regional folklore book for the Abalathia's Spine region and only available at 7PM to 8PM Eorzia time)

Camphor requires requires Master Alchemist IV and the following materials:

2 Water Cluster
    2 Lightning Cluster
    5 Camphorwood Branch (2245 gil each from moogle vendor or level 60 Botanist to aquire)

Eikon Iron Ingot requires Master Goldsmith IV and the following materials:

3 Wind Cluster
    2 Fire Cluster
    2 Eikon Metal (Only available by spending 20 eso each)
    3 Smithsonite Ore (60 Miner with regional Folklore book for the Abalathia's Spine region and only available at 1AM to 2AM Eorzia time)
    3 Iron Ore (18 gil each from many vendors or level 14 miner

Crawler Silk requires requires Level 57 Weaver and the following materials:

5 Lightning Crystal
    3 Crawler Cocoon
    2 Silkworm Cocoon (50 Botanist and only available at 1AM to 2AM Eorzia time)
    1 Effervescent Water (Level 24 Miner)

Grade 1 Mind Desolvant requires requires Level 54 Alchemist and the following materials:

4 Water Crystal
    4 Deepeye Tears (Level 50 monster drop)
    2 Blue Cloud Coral (Level 60 Fisher)
    1 Volcanic Rock Salt (50 Miner and only available at 5PM to 6PM Eorzia time)

Most of these materials, and even the finished product can be purchased for gil on the Market board, I will not price this stuff out for you. Also, repeat this list or variations on it for all the other Eikon pieces you want to obtain rather than spending tomestones of Esoterics for the 220 blue gear sets. Please note that for the Eikon Chest you are spending 160 Esoterics regardless if you are gathering materials to have it made.

The Hailstorm Coat of Healing for White Mage is 825 tomestones of lore. It is ilvl 230 and may be upgraded to an ilvl 240 piece by trading it and an Illuminati taut Gobtwite to an NPC in Idleshire.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    Just posted this to the Steam thread but putting it here because of the Final Fantasy connection:

So, those of you paying attention to my signature below (and Steam activity) may have noticed that I've been playing FFXIV a lot over the last month or two. Now the game is really good on its own and I'm enjoying it again because of the game's own strengths. However, it should come as no big surprise that FF 14 pulls tons of references and homages to previous Final Fantasy games. Well, since the only FF game I had previously played was half of FF3, and my FF knowledge is best described as "functionally non-existent", all such references are entirely lost on me.

Well, two friends of mine decided that it was 'criminal' that I was missing all the references and homages to previous Final Fantasy games and so have taken matters into their own hands to "fix" it. So that's why I and they are now playing through a select list of Final Fantasy games. I was informed that FF4 was the starting point and we've made it a good way through the game.*

FF4 Spoilers:
    Directed to go to the Tower of Babel by the Dwarves in the underworld and beat the Doctor in the Tower. No idea how far into the game that is, I'm guessing somewhere in the 40-60% range. :smile:

Next directive is to stop the Gigantic Cannons in the Tower.

And as the idea just followed pretty naturally, we're going to start streaming us playing these games because why not. Our first broadcast was last night and is up on my twitch channel for the moment (link in signature.) A longer session is planned for tonight, start time will be in the 7-8pm cst range. General schedule is going to be shorter streams on Wednesday evenings and longer runs on Friday evening/night.

The currently planned list is 4, 6, 7, tactics, 9, 10, kingdom hearts in that order. More may be added at the end, if we do actually get that far and want to continue.

So update to the Final Fantasy stream, tonights and future streams are going to be from instead of my own twitch account.

just quoting this to say we are live. come talk about FF4

• Options
    TakelTakel Registered User regular
    It's ~1500 esoterics to get all the esoteric materials required to make the entire set plus a generous amount of additional materials to compensate for the time crafting etc...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Options
    Okay, so doesn't seem all that practical for me and my tiny Gil stock. Guess I'm going for the AF gear.

• Options
    That's assuming the use of eso materials as payment though.

The actual total cost in eso materials is closer to 1300 which is just over the cost of getting the eso i200 body, legs and one accessory

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Woot! Just killed Odin for the first time!

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The FATE or the Trial?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    The FATE or the Trial?

The FATE. Was just about to put up my regular "Anybody want to grind HW FATEs for crystals" on the party finder, when I saw a couple groups looking for Odin. :biggrin:

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Lots of laughs while running around with old (and some new) friends this weekend resulted in:
    e0vFTz3.jpg

715 total fates for a 31% drop rate btw.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to jump in for the free five days next week. Think I can nab at least two of the Yo-kai weapons by then?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The first 2 weapons cost 7+9 tokens, so roughly 45-60 fates. 2-3 hours total in the fast spawning zones, more in the awful ones. (Why all the downtime CThan, why? /cry) Which ones would you be going for and what level are you?

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna go SMN for my DPS class. Less spikey than MCH (at least, early on), cool pets, emergency heals in a pinch, etc.

• Options
    FYI: Physick on a SMN or BLM is worthless once you get job specific gear. ie: Once you get gear that only has Int and not Int/Mind
    Don't go into a SMN thinking you have emergency heals. You don't.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Takel wrote: »
    FYI: Physick on a SMN or BLM is worthless once you get job specific gear. ie: Once you get gear that only has Int and not Int/Mind
    Don't go into a SMN thinking you have emergency heals. You don't.

Well, you can keep your summons up fine, because Sustain does %HP ticks, but that's about it. Energy Drain can top you off, but it's not going to go much further than keeping you going soloing (and you should have Titan taking care of things then anyways).

One nice thing about both SMN and SCH is how good their AoE output is once they get Bane though.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Other nice things about SMN:

You'll be the only non-healer class who can res.
    With your tank pet you can solo notorious monster FATEs.
    Space laser at 60.

This discussion has been closed.