As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's get ready to [Hearthstone]! Tournament Details in OP

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I really wouldn't hold Blizzard to any strict release schedules, since they've got a "when it's done" mentality and they're not shy about chucking things and starting over when they don't work.

They've never changed the release date for a Hearthstone thing after actually giving a specific date. Err, they might have delayed Naxx, I wasn't playing yet then. But everything else has come out exactly when they said it would.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I just drafted a pretty funny Hunter deck for Arena.
    y1zmejl772zf.jpg

If this doesn't go at least 7 wins I'm gonna be pretty upset :bigfrown:

How do you get that overlay?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    forty wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »
    Bee tee dubs, requoting myself here cause I WAS RIGHT
    So this video has been making the rounds again, because Ben Brode mistakenly said LoE would rotate out in 2018 rather than the intended 2017:

But it does kinda semi-confirm that there will be 2 Adventures this year, right?

Look at the way the "decks" are added in. The first one is added to 2016 and then there's a pause (Old Gods). Then the other two get added later. PRESUMABLY, Adventures.

My guess is that we're going to get an Adventure announcement Soon™, followed by another at Blizzcon. Old Gods was released April 26th, right? So... maybe we'll get the first Adventure sometime in July/August?

There is 100% going to be an Adventure announcement at Blizzcon. But I also can't imagine we'll go THAT far between releases.

Let's look back a bit. BRM was released April 2nd 2015, TGT was released August 24th 2015, and League of Explorers was released on November 12th 2015. So, that actually lines up with my theory. OG = April, 1st Adventure = August, 2nd Adventure = November.

So now we just need a 2nd Adventure announcement at Blizzcon and I'll be a fuckin' wizard
    Wait, did they already change their minds on the "1 adventure and 2 expansions per year" plan? I haven't really been paying much attention to HS news.

I wasn't aware that they were planning on doing that? I thought it was always 1 expac, 2 adventures per year.

Did they state otherwise at some point?

Edit: Also cause 2 expacs per year doesn't make sense. We'd have five different kinds of card packs at the end of 2017. That'd screw up the whole "Standard is more new player friendly" thing they've got going. There's no way they'd do 2 expacs per year.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I really wouldn't hold Blizzard to any strict release schedules, since they've got a "when it's done" mentality and they're not shy about chucking things and starting over when they don't work.

They've never changed the release date for a Hearthstone thing after actually giving a specific date. Err, they might have delayed Naxx, I wasn't playing yet then. But everything else has come out exactly when they said it would.

They never gave a fixed date for Naxx until they knew they were going to hit it. Problem was they announced in April and didn't launch it until June. The frustration that caused in the player base was one of the reasons they leave such a small gap between announcement and release now.

I think they've got the balance about perfect now. It kinda wears thin when other studios drip feed minuscule reveals for months before expansions. ~2 weeks for an adventure or ~4 weeks for a full on card set seems just right in order to build the hype train.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    So this video has been making the rounds again, because Ben Brode mistakenly said LoE would rotate out in 2018 rather than the intended 2017:

But it does kinda semi-confirm that there will be 2 Adventures this year, right?

Look at the way the "decks" are added in. The first one is added to 2016 and then there's a pause (Old Gods). Then the other two get added later. PRESUMABLY, Adventures.

My guess is that we're going to get an Adventure announcement Soon™, followed by another at Blizzcon. Old Gods was released April 26th, right? So... maybe we'll get the first Adventure sometime in July/August?

There is 100% going to be an Adventure announcement at Blizzcon. But I also can't imagine we'll go THAT far between releases.

Let's look back a bit. BRM was released April 2nd 2015, TGT was released August 24th 2015, and League of Explorers was released on November 12th 2015. So, that actually lines up with my theory. OG = April, 1st Adventure = August, 2nd Adventure = November.

So now we just need a 2nd Adventure announcement at Blizzcon and I'll be a fuckin' wizard
    Wait, did they already change their minds on the "1 adventure and 2 expansions per year" plan? I haven't really been paying much attention to HS news.

I wasn't aware that they were planning on doing that? I thought it was always 1 expac, 2 adventures per year.

Edit: Also cause 2 expacs per year doesn't make sense. We'd have five different kinds of card packs at the end of 2017. That'd screw up the whole "Standard is more new player friendly" thing they've got going. There's no way they'd do 2 expacs per year.
    Well, so far it has always just been alternating, Adventure->Expansion->Adventure->Expansion->etc. When they dropped the news about Standard, I had thought Brode said something about planning on having two Expansions for every Adventure. I'll see if I can find what made me think that.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Switching formats is always really funky. Normally you'd have 3/4 packs in the shop, 2 from last year and then 1-2 from this year. It's just funky now because we're in the transitional stage. Magic had the same thing when they shifted how they did standard last year.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    y1zmejl772zf.jpg

the right side is Innkeeper. It syncs with hearthpwn. Pretty nice.

don't know the left side though.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2016

Well, so far it has always just been alternating, Adventure->Expansion->Adventure->Expansion->etc. When they dropped the news about Standard, I had thought Brode said something about planning on having two Expansions for every Adventure. I'll see if I can find what made me think that.
    Found it. It was this story, where Blizzard invited a bunch of top HS community members to HQ to discuss their plans for the future. The quote in question:
    What interests Trump, however, are the suggested plans for 2016 and 2017. Rather than continuing a cadence of expansion-adventure-expansion-adventure, Blizzard lays out a timeline with two expansions per year — one at the start, one near the end — and a single adventure between them. If this new formula were to stay consistent, the much bigger expansions would greatly outnumber the smaller and more single-player-focused adventure sets.

"It's not what we've done so far, but maybe that's the right thing for the future," Donais says. "We haven't decided whether adventures should be as common as expansions or not. Maybe the rate of 1-to-1 is not right."

This shift would help Blizzard's plans for Standard format. Rotating a bunch of cards out almost requires a bigger expansion, with a huge influx of new cards to replace some of those being lost. It also may require much bigger sacrifices, though. Ones that the community is less likely to agree on.
    So yeah, this is definitely older information, and I don't know if it was ever more than an idea. I don't know if it was anything they ever came out and stated in a more official capacity at some point (it's possible, but this is around the time where I tuned out on HS news so I wouldn't know).

That said, they were definitely considering switching things up this way and had a rationale for it, so it could still happen (unless they've since come out and said they're going to stick to the alternating pattern).

forty on
  • KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular

Normally I would agree, but card games with rotating formats absolutely require a set release schedule or they simply don't function.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    edited July 2016

Found it. It was this story, where Blizzard invited a bunch of top HS community members to HQ to discuss their plans for the future. The quote in question:
    What interests Trump, however, are the suggested plans for 2016 and 2017. Rather than continuing a cadence of expansion-adventure-expansion-adventure, Blizzard lays out a timeline with two expansions per year — one at the start, one near the end — and a single adventure between them. If this new formula were to stay consistent, the much bigger expansions would greatly outnumber the smaller and more single-player-focused adventure sets.

"It's not what we've done so far, but maybe that's the right thing for the future," Donais says. "We haven't decided whether adventures should be as common as expansions or not. Maybe the rate of 1-to-1 is not right."

This shift would help Blizzard's plans for Standard format. Rotating a bunch of cards out almost requires a bigger expansion, with a huge influx of new cards to replace some of those being lost. It also may require much bigger sacrifices, though. Ones that the community is less likely to agree on.
    So yeah, this is definitely older information, and I don't know if it was ever more than an idea. I don't know if it was anything they ever came out and stated in a more official capacity at some point (it's possible, but this is around the time where I tuned out on HS news so I wouldn't know).

That said, they were definitely considering switching things up this way and had a rationale for it, so it could still happen (unless they've since come out and said they're going to stick to the alternating pattern).

Yeah, I dunno. I just don't really think 2 expacs per year is really uh, feasible? Expacs are HUGE, they take a lot of work and effort. Cranking out two per year, with two being back to back (butt end of the year and start of the next) just seems... weird. We'd have 4 expacs available at the end of 2017, if that were the case.

Going back to what I said about "new player friendly", like that's really important too. Right now, new players can get Classic packs, TGT packs, and OG packs. That's three, and that seems, yknow, fine. At the start of 2017, assuming a 1 expac/2 adventure timeline, TGT rotates out and we'd now have Classic/OG/Expac2, keeping with 3 packs available. Do they really want to have to ask new players to buy up to 5 different packs at any given time?

Again, I just don't see how it'd be feasible, both for the devs and the playerbase, to have two expacs per year. We did get 1 adventure/1 expac/1 adventure last year, with BRM/TGT/LoE. And granted BRM was still very much a part of GVG at that point. But all signs point to there being 2 adventures to every 1 expac per year. At least, logically speaking, anyway.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    edited July 2016

Yeah, I dunno. I just don't really think 2 expacs per year is really uh, feasible? Expacs are HUGE, they take a lot of work and effort. Cranking out two per year, with two being back to back (butt end of the year and start of the next) just seems... weird. We'd have 4 expacs available at the end of 2017, if that were the case.

Going back to what I said about "new player friendly", like that's really important too. Right now, new players can get Classic packs, TGT packs, and OG packs. That's three, and that seems, yknow, fine. At the start of 2017, assuming a 1 expac/2 adventure timeline, TGT rotates out and we'd now have Classic/OG/Expac2, keeping with 3 packs available. Do they really want to have to ask new players to buy up to 5 different packs at any given time?

Again, I just don't see how it'd be feasible, both for the devs and the playerbase, to have two expacs per year. We did get 1 adventure/1 expac/1 adventure last year, with BRM/TGT/LoE. And granted BRM was still very much a part of GVG at that point. But all signs point to there being 2 adventures to every 1 expac per year. At least, logically speaking, anyway.
    On the other hand, I wonder how much profit Blizzard makes on average for adventures vs. expansions. It seems like a safe bet to figure that expansions are significantly more profitable than adventures. Financially they're probably more motivated to create expansions, which might be part of why they were considering this change in the first place.

Edit: Actually it might be arguable that expansions aren't significantly larger than adventures in the work and effort department. All the theming, encounter design (including art, balance, audio design), adventure-only cards, etc. might push the man-hours of adventures a lot closer to expansions than people might think.

forty on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I would fully hazard a guess that there's at least one encounter designer who's basically always working on an adventure while the card designers are working on the expansion that comes before it

liEt3nH.png
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Wow, Kara is disco themed because
    It was a 70s raid!

badumtsh

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

It's safe to hold them to this one. They don't announce the release date for Hearthstone content until they are sure.

So, Barnes question: Barnes summons C'Thun. Does C'Thun get the buffs already applied to that point?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular

It's safe to hold them to this one. They don't announce the release date for Hearthstone content until they are sure.

So, Barnes question: Barnes summons C'Thun. Does C'Thun get the buffs already applied to that point?

Probably works just like shadow caster does now. It starts as 1/1 and gains buffs that are applied after

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/-IvQ23sFQmM

Good analysis, especially on Firelands Portal.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Coinage wrote: »

That's not a bad day. All of those were either 50/50 or heavily favored a non-optimal outcome.
    Everyone of those times his play should have been "play the grub".

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    https://youtu.be/-IvQ23sFQmM

Good analysis, especially on Firelands Portal.

I'd really like to hear confirmation that the timing on Firelands Portal works how he's hoping it does.

liEt3nH.png
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Have the Play a Friend quest again (80 gold for both of us), Smasher#1518 if anyone wants in.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    So will Karazhan knock BRS out of standard?

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

That's not a bad day. All of those were either 50/50 or heavily favored a non-optimal outcome.
    Everyone of those times his play should have been "play the grub".

The first toad trade against the golems was 66% in his favor. I don't think we watched the same video.

No, rotation only occurs with the release of Expansions, not Adventures.

liEt3nH.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

No, rotation only occurs with the release of Expansions, not Adventures.

Also only once a calendar year

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    y1zmejl772zf.jpg

the right side is Innkeeper. It syncs with hearthpwn. Pretty nice.

don't know the left side though.

It's HearthArena Companion, an Overwolf plugin.

MSL59.jpg
    edited July 2016
    JCjXqk8.jpg

I should arena more often. Two runs, two free packs, and now I've doubled my money.

Also now have enough dust to craft another couple of epics off my list.

Edit: Also also, I have the Friend game quest on EU if anyone is on this evening.

Muffinatron on
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Rumored new card:

1 mana 1/3 Warlock Demon
    'When you discard a card, draw a card.'

If that's real then that bingo sheet is off to a good start.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    edited July 2016
    Yilias wrote: »
    Rumored new card:

1 mana 1/3 Warlock Demon

It was revealed on Hearthstone Japan's official twitch, so consider it confirmed.
    Image:
    DaHcGNz.jpg

Edit: Also, new Mage Card
    BCN4oId.png

Muffinatron on
    Yilias wrote: »
    Rumored new card:

1 mana 1/3 Warlock Demon

It was revealed on Hearthstone Japan's official twitch, so consider it confirmed.
    Image:
    DaHcGNz.jpg

Edit: Also, new Mage Card
    BCN4oId.png

That's... wow, I really really like that Mage card. A lot.

I mean, Mage already had a solid 1 drop, but this is a 1 drop with value. It's a 1/1 which isn't much, but it may as well read "Battlecry: Draw a Card", more or less.

I like it.

DNiDlnb.png
    I like almost anything that gives card advantage, I see it as a control card with a body as extra. Works in tempo mage too, maybe not necessarily a x2, but could provide nice flexibility.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Control Mage will remain dead until it gets some healing.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    Yeah that mage card looks good. Would have been even better if it was discover though.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    You mean if it was a 1 mana ethereal conjurer? :snap:

djFindus wrote: »
    Yeah that mage card looks good. Would have been even better if it was discover though.

That would've been waay undercosted.

As it is a mage spell is pretty good whatever you get. You could even get a Cabalist's Tome from it.

What's great is it's 1 mana so it's going to be easy to chain this off with a Brann to double the fun.

• Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    I've officially found someone who RNG actively hates.

1. I play my bat. He plays Sorcerers apprentice and missiles. All 3 shots hit my face allowing me to trade.
    2. Frost bolts my Carrion Worm with Flamewalker on the board. Both shots hit face.
    3. I play my Highmane, he uses Forgotten Torch on it, Both Flamewalker shots hit face (Carrion Worm still alive).
    4. A turn or two latter he drops a fresh Flamewalker and missiles against My 6/2 Highmane (Carrion Worm is dead) All 5 hit face.

I legitimately think the RNG must have been bugged.

• djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Jutranjo wrote: »

EC is a 6/3. This is still a body that doesn't trade with really anything or warrants any kind of response. Making it discover would in no way make it comparable to a 1 mana EC. I agree though that it might need to be a 2 mana card if it was discover but it is a class card after all.

Decent card nonetheless as almost all mage spells are good even though some of the secrets are a bit situational.

djFindus on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Both of those cards are really really good. Dang, I can't wait for this adventure to get here.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't think the warlock card is that good. With it in play Darkshire Librarian is a roided loot hoarder, which is cool, but then you discard your dooomguard or tiny knight of evil, and without any discard cards in hand it doesn't do anything. At least it will make them slightly less likely to get stupid shit from peddler.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    You guys (and a friend) stopped me from dusting Malkorok or whatever the Warrior legend is. Now I am using him in a Warrior dragon deck and really want Gormash or whatever his name is. Ha. And I need 2 of that epic dragon that turns into a taunt.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    djFindus wrote: »
    Jutranjo wrote: »

EC is a 6/3. This is still a body that doesn't trade with really anything or warrants any kind of response. Making it discover would in no way make it comparable to a 1 mana EC. I agree though that it might need to be a 2 mana card if it was discover but it is a class card after all.

Decent card nonetheless as almost all mage spells are good even though some of the secrets are a bit situational.

They likely costed EC like that to deliberately prevent you from discovering blizzard or flamestrike and playing it on the same turn.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg