As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Legion: Kingdoms are being burnt

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Random question here. I understand that if I quest on my warrior to unlock the transmog items I only unlock the plate appearances, but what about the weapons? If I'm protection and the quest rewards had me select from a bow, a one-handed axe, a two-handed mace, and a staff, do I get all four because I can equip all four, or just the one-handed axe?

Weapons are much more general. If you can equip it at all, you get the appearance. So Warriors are definitely good transmog collectors, since they can equip everything!

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    are there any good standalone addons for handling the minimap? Lots of addon packages seem to have custom maps, but the only standalone addon I could find of any popularity was sexymap and it doesn't seem to have many options.

I use Chinchilla, but it's been slow to update, and as of last week, you had to get the latest version from WoWAce and not Curse.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I remember where it lasted for days
    Where it was dishonorable to attack those who got bored and were fishing

I remember fighting in AV, logging off to sleep, and getting up the next day to log back in to the same AV.

I remember starting on I think Wednesday? going to work and sleeping but being in the same AV game all week
    People were upset only maintenance was going to end it.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Anyone else planning to main Vengeance DH in Legion?

I am.

How are you feeling about us in general?

I am.

We'll probably suck pretty bad in the weeks leading up to te expansion, but at 110 I'm pretty happy. Vengeance self healing seems to be HUGE but needs ramp up time to make enough soul fragments, so learning fights might be rough before you figure out where exactly the damage spikes are.

I'm actually betting our magic damage mitigation will end up getting nerfed before too long

edited July 2016
    Also last I checked haste is one of our best secondary stats and I don't like it. Didn't like it when port pallies geared for haste either. Secondary stats seem to be haste/mastery/crit in that order, which is the exact opposite of Havoc at the moment. Makes gearing a pain.

Javen on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really think I will make a demon hunter long after everyone else like I did with my death knight
    It was nice to avoid the bad death knights after the healing horror that I dealt with in the rush to 80 back in wrath

• KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Also going for Vengeance. It's either that or guardian, and I don't think I want to watch the bear's ass the whole expansion, not with the reduced zoom ranges.

I played rogue a bit so I could try outlaw. The spec itself feels pretty fun to play, but the RNG aspect is really stupid. It would've been better if all of the dice results actually altered rotation but were otherwise equally good, rather than this fishing for good rolls thing. But it feels like rogues didn't really lose as many buttons as the other classes did, and their class hall is pretty awesome. If I could play dps I'd seriously consider rogue. Outlaw for fun spam, assassination for raids.

I'm kind of warming towards Havoc, too. The ~ one button rotation is silly, but constant dashing is pretty fun.

Keemossi on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016

I am.

We'll probably suck pretty bad in the weeks leading up to te expansion, but at 110 I'm pretty happy. Vengeance self healing seems to be HUGE but needs ramp up time to make enough soul fragments, so learning fights might be rough before you figure out where exactly the damage spikes are.

I'm actually betting our magic damage mitigation will end up getting nerfed before too long

Yeah that's my concern too.

I'm also not sure whether soul barrier is meant to replace soul cleave or not. It kind of seems like we have a lot of different ways to spend soul fragments but not really very many ways to generate them without Fracture.

I'm kind of thinking there's two playstyles.

One that uses Feast of Souls/Feed the Demon/Last Resort, and relies on Soul Cleave as your pain spender/fragment consumer. With this style most of your orbs come from Shear, with a few from your artifact, and Soul Cleave being the majority of your healing, so you want to buff it up. More squishy, less mitigation, but more self healing

And then another playstyle which is more proactive, which goes for Fallout/Fracture/Soul Barrier. With this build you would generally rarely use Soul Cleave, instead using Barrier, and with the spare pain (since Soul Barrier only uses 30 pain while Soul Cleave uses 30-60) you use Fracture to generate more orbs, which you then turn into absorbs with Soul Barrier.

I just don't see Soul Barrier and Soul Cleave coexisting. If you take Fracture there's not enough pain for all three abilities, and if you don't, there's not enough orbs to share between Barrier & Cleave.

Dhalphir on
    edited July 2016
    Soul Barrier feels kind of niche ability, nice flat reduction against lots of add (as the absorb never drops below certain amount), but otherwise unimpressive. Soul Barrier gains as much absorb from souls as you would've healed from one, so besides preparing for a damage spike it's not that interesting mechanic. Also it shares tier with Last Resort and Nether Bond, both of which are really good.

I'm a bit confused about Fracture. The heal from the soul fragments is much less than what you'd gain by just using Soul Cleave. It's a dps increase, and the fragments can proc Fueled by Pain, but it's a bit underwhelming? I guess you can prepare against a damage spike by using Fracture until your health drops, then slurping all the orbs with Soul Cleave.

The fragments just feel a bit weak to me. Soul Cleave by itself is a rather big, reliable heal. Feast of Souls is also reliable and pretty good heal on top of that. Fallout's decent, but it needs a few targets to be worth it and isn't that reliable. The fragments just feel like a random bonus to heals, rather than something you usually need to focus on/care about.

Good for Spirit Bombs, though :P

e: Oh yeah, Painbringer's a thing also. Max 15% damage reduction for 3s from fragments is decent.

Keemossi on
    edited July 2016
    Absorbing damage is much better than healing it, as you always get full value. And the base absorb value of Soul Barrier is pretty high - at ilvl 845 with 2.7m HP @ 110, it's 390k base absorb plus 65k per soul. That's big.

Not to mention that a Fracture/Soul Barrier playstyle straight up generates way more souls than a Feed the Demon playstyle, because most of your pain gets spent on Fracture. If you don't take Soul Barrier, then you're using Soul Cleave a lot more, which means less pain for Fracture.

And fragments do a LOT. They give a chance to proc metamorphosis, they give damage reduction.

Dhalphir on
    edited July 2016
    From a healer's point of view, too, you'd rather your tank absorb damage than spike low and self heal, because when they spike low, you immediately react by starting a big heal on them, and if they're self healing a lot, chances are that big heal is often wasted.

And I mean, it's not like Soul Barrier ACTUALLY replaces Soul Cleave, you can still use it. I envision a scenario where you're banked on 5 fragments, you have nearly full pain, and you're anticipating a big hit so you pop a 5-soul Barrier to take a chunk off it, then Soul Cleave with your remaining 60 pain to have a big heal at the same time.

EDIT: I also think that a Soul Barrier/Fracture playstyle would benefit from taking Blade Turning over Fel Devastation, since you generate more pain overall with that talent too.

EDIT2: The rest of the thread is just going to have to put up with demon hunter theorycrafting. I miss the class threads.

Dhalphir on
    edited July 2016
    With the new healing/damage model tanks shouldn't be near/at full health as often, so self heals are a bit better. Worse than absorbs, but better.

No idea how it's going to turn out in practice, I've only tanked dungeons on Vengeance so far. I ran with Soul Barrier for a while, but I also had Fel Devastation then and it felt like I just didn't ever have enough pain for it all. I dropped Soul Barrier, and Last Resort has saved me from hunter pulls (it's *still* the hunters) so many times since. It's so much better than Purgatory: cheat death AND metamorphosis. Which gets even more awesome with Soul Rending for that sweet 50% leech.

Just looked at the heal numbers, fragments are actually a bit better than I recalled. My Soul Cleave is at ~245k heal at 60 pain, fragments are ~68k. So Fracture's worth 136k heals from fragments for 40 pain, which is actually pretty decent. Practically you always have to gather fragments with Soul Cleave, so when you do selfheal you'll heal a lot at once. Or heal/absorb, with Barrier.

Barrier/Fracture does feel like it would be good against raid bosses with fairly predictable and frequent spike damage.

Keemossi on
    edited July 2016
    Keemossi wrote: »
    With the new healing/damage model tanks shouldn't be near/at full health as often

yeah that has not been my experience at all. maybe in heroic 5mans, but not mythics, and certainly not keystone mythics or raids.

EDIT: oh yeah, and worth noting that with Soul Barrier, the fragments you consume do still heal you. You get the absorb in addition to the heal.

Dhalphir on
    Oooh, I thought it replaced heals. Well that makes it a lot better!

Yeah, I've only done heroics. Pugging mythics is something I'd rather avoid. In the current raids on brewmaster it feels like I'm topped constantly unless it's going horribly and everybody's dead anyway, it's a bit annoying. I was hoping it would be different with Legion raids/mythic dungeons, as it's supposed to be :P

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Soul Barrier is flat out better than Last Stand if you can use Soul Barrier well. Last Stand might have some nieche use with absorbing something specific, but the kind of absorption SB gives you every 20 seconds is way better than the 30% health LS gives you. I've never been a fan of the 'avoid death once' safety net mechanics; you're always better off being better and just not needing them (and I think SB can give you that).

Nether Bond is strange and I think will mostly be a pvp talent (although I can see a pve use for it in fights where the off tank doesn't have anything to do, or if there is a long period of very heavy dot damage and if splitting it over two targets makes it easier for your tank healer).

edited July 2016
    LD50 wrote: »
    Soul Barrier is flat out better than Last Stand if you can use Soul Barrier well. Last Stand might have some nieche use with absorbing something specific, but the kind of absorption SB gives you every 20 seconds is way better than the 30% health LS gives you. I've never been a fan of the 'avoid death once' safety net mechanics; you're always better off being better and just not needing them (and I think SB can give you that).

Nether Bond is strange and I think will mostly be a pvp talent (although I can see a pve use for it in fights where the off tank doesn't have anything to do, or if there is a long period of very heavy dot damage and if splitting it over two targets makes it easier for your tank healer).

the argument for Soul Barrier vs Last Resort isn't really a direct comparison. Soul Barrier is clearly better, you're right.

The thing is more that if you use Soul Barrier, you kind of have to have Fracture too or you don't have enough souls to make Soul Barrier worthwhile, and you don't really have the pain generation for Fracture, Soul Barrier, AND Soul Cleave, so you kind of have to drop Cleave. Which is a tradeoff. More absorbs and healing total in exchange for less raw healing.

So if you want to be using self healing and being able to Soul Cleave when necessary, you kind of have to take Last Resort because you don't have the pain for Barrier and Cleave.

Dhalphir on
  • EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So apparently demon hunters wont get their talents like everyone else, they'll get them from 100-110...because they didn't feel like they earned stuff...or something equally stupid? Isn't that the same problem everyone will have...don't we have artifacts for that?

I'm getting tired of the one step forward one-two step's back design blizzard has these days.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Did dragonsoul on 25 heroic, still won't let me do spine on heroic. I put in a bug report last week, do they respond to those or?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Did dragonsoul on 25 heroic, still won't let me do spine on heroic. I put in a bug report last week, do they respond to those or?

You should be able to do Normal Spine then flip back to Heroic for Madness. Unless you want to carry the lockout until it gets fixed.

htm wrote: »
    are there any good standalone addons for handling the minimap? Lots of addon packages seem to have custom maps, but the only standalone addon I could find of any popularity was sexymap and it doesn't seem to have many options.

I use Chinchilla, but it's been slow to update, and as of last week, you had to get the latest version from WoWAce and not Curse.

I use Sexymap so I guess it depends what options you want. I also use Mapster but I don't recall if it has any minimap options.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

You should be able to do Normal Spine then flip back to Heroic for Madness. Unless you want to carry the lockout until it gets fixed.

Oh I didn't realize it was just spine.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I don't think this works with post-Lich King raids. I remember trying to do something like this with Firelands and when I entered the instance after switching difficulties, the place was completely depopulated.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I can browse a ton of transmogs in my collection window, but when I go to use the transmog npc, there are only handful of items.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The transmog NPC only shows what you have available, the collection window shows everything.

edited July 2016
    So I'm looking through the appearances of items in the first set of legion raids and the raid finder gear appears to be back to being recolored looking gear from normal/heroic...am I seeing that right?

Because that's awesome if so bit of a pain the mythic versions are noticeably fancier but I'll take a few steps in the right direction. Different colors did a fine job of differentiating people if indeed we absolutely need to differentiate people...we didn't need completely different assets to rub the point in.

Raid finder even appears to be getting trinkets that actually do things again...like spontaneous appendage which has a chance on attack of growing another limb that attacks nearby enemies which I must collect on all applicable characters.

EnclaveofGnomes on
    edited July 2016
    So apparently demon hunters wont get their talents like everyone else, they'll get them from 100-110...because they didn't feel like they earned stuff...or something equally stupid? Isn't that the same problem everyone will have...don't we have artifacts for that?

I'm getting tired of the one step forward one-two step's back design blizzard has these days.

It makes sense. You don't want to dump seven tiers of talents on people all at once, particularly for demon hunters because their talents all fundamentally change the play style.

The only other solution is to start them at a lower level and feed the talents slowly, say, from 90-100, however, then you have the same problem death Knights did in Wrath.

"the Legion is here! Demon Hunter allies, aid us in the battle! But first, go build a garrison and fight the iron horde for a bit."

Sending death knights off to outland is the weirdest thing ever.

The way they've done it is not ideal, but it's the best of the possible solutions.

Dhalphir on
    edited July 2016

It makes sense. You don't want to dump seven tiers of talents on people all at once, particularly for demon hunters because their talents all fundamentally change the play style.

The only solution is to start them at a lower level. Then, however, you have the same problem death Knights did in Wrath.

'the Legion is here! Demon Hunter allies, aid us in the battle! But first, go build a garrison and fight the iron horde for a bit.'

It's not ideal, but it's the best of the possible solutions.

You already have to have a level 100 to roll one. You've seen the talent tree before so your head shouldn't explode. Not you personally, you the players out there.

EnclaveofGnomes on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    You know what I like? Standing in town with an entire buff bar that's filled with Inspiring Presence. I'm so god damn inspired now.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun

The only solution is to start them at a lower level. Then, however, you have the same problem death Knights did in Wrath.

'the Legion is here! Demon Hunter allies, aid us in the battle! But first, go build a garrison and fight the iron horde for a bit.'

You already have to have a level 100 to roll one. You've seen the talent tree before so your head shouldn't explode. Not you personally, you the players out there.

A level 70. And i don't know about you, but even as someone who is well read with WoW, experienced, and generally capable, I still don't use level boosts because i like to learn my classes at a measured pace, adding abilities to rotation one at a time.

A level 70. And i don't know about you, but even as someone who is well read with WoW, experienced, and generally capable, I still don't use level boosts because i like to learn my classes at a measured pace, adding abilities to rotation one at a time.

That actually manages to make even less sense, you're used to the talent tree you've seen when you'll have access to what and now suddenly it's all different.

That was the best of the possible solutions? Not activating talent tiers as you did the intro quests?

I don't understand the thinking behind it.

edited July 2016
    The intro quests are way, way too short to activate talent tiers that way. Seriously, it's not even two hours. You already get abilities at a frantic pace, and if you switch to Vengeance when the opportunity arises, it's even crazier, because you instantly get 3-4 new abilities and have to work out what they all do.

I think you're underestimating the complexity of working out a rotation when the whole thing is dumped in front of you wholesale

Dhalphir on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I had entirely new talent trees and abilities dumped on me just logging in after the prepatch. Demonology, unholy, outlaw, shadow, disc, etc. Quite a few classes/specs have completely different abilities and talents. At this point getting everything on a DH would just mean i could mostly finalize my keybinds instead of changing the way i play every level.

SteevL wrote: »

I don't think this works with post-Lich King raids. I remember trying to do something like this with Firelands and when I entered the instance after switching difficulties, the place was completely depopulated.

They started difficulty swaps per-boss in DS. I do it every week in DS so I know it works. (Normal 25 through Hagara, then do Ultrax on Heroic)

I think there's a 1 or 2 minute cooldown after a boss kill before you can switch difficulties.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

They started difficulty swaps per-boss in DS. I do it every week in DS so I know it works. (Normal 25 through Hagara, then do Ultrax on Heroic)

I think there's a 1 or 2 minute cooldown after a boss kill before you can switch difficulties.

However, Heroic Deathwing can only be done if you did the entire instance in Heroic.

At least, that's the intention. But there's a macro floating around that can force it into Heroic as the encounter is starting.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    In these discussions you always have to remember the average player. The average player is scary; he (or she) picks talents seemingly at random, forgets to use their cooldowns, or pops them all at once often inefficiently. Their rotation is often hitting whatever ability is mapped to 1, or alternatively whatever buttons are lit without regard to their own positioning. They die in LFR and don't understand how or whose to blame. These people need all the help they can get.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。

That actually manages to make even less sense, you're used to the talent tree you've seen when you'll have access to what and now suddenly it's all different.

That was the best of the possible solutions? Not activating talent tiers as you did the intro quests?

I don't understand the thinking behind it.

They basically do that with skills in the DH intro. Every third quest or so gives you a new ability, and at about the halfway point you get to pick a spec.

I'll admit it does kind of suck, but Demon Hunters are definitely beefier in the stat department to try and make up for the lack of talents

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    In these discussions you always have to remember the average player. The average player is scary; he (or she) picks talents seemingly at random, forgets to use their cooldowns, or pops them all at once often inefficiently. Their rotation is often hitting whatever ability is mapped to 1, or alternatively whatever buttons are lit without regard to their own positioning. They die in LFR and don't understand how or whose to blame. These people need all the help they can get.

No, those are the people who will either never accept help because in their eyes they aren't doing anything wrong, or they are going to find any way to play bad no matter how many ways to screw up you take away.

• InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Man, the 2k resources and 5k gold for a level 3 garrison is a lot steeper to a fresh 100 on a new faction than it was on my wealthy main + pampered alts

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Help me I'm stuck in the Transmog Zone. Everyone must be dressed up! EVERYONE.

Except my Druid, she can look like a clown because she's in Cat form anyway.

Madican on
This discussion has been closed.