As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Guide to Monsters: The Fey, and previous The Hydra

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Melding wrote: »
    For the most part, dire animals are just grouped into normal animals as by and large there isn't actually a huge difference. is a dire bear smarter than the average bear? sure, not so much so to elevate them out of "very dangerous bear" territory.

Also Tin vs enthrallment, the tin is most effective at the point of origin, and degrades fairly quickly, it's why Tin shields only really work against directed attacks, but won't do shit against an air fey's wind. Int his instance the spriggan is also helping to care for these creatures as well so there is a bond beyond just the charm but breaking it does reduce their willingness to die for for it. newer captures especially. the mistake people make is applying the tin to the animals and not the spriggan itself, though I imagine if you locked them intoa tin box it might break the spell temporarily, you're still the one that locked them in a box and animals don't like that.

I say this as someone with a bit more, hands on knowledge of fey magic than most.

Dire is a word that's applied pretty widely to a broad variety of different animals who are in no way related to each other, other than that the trigger is normally magical exposure over time.
    The only thing they share is increased aggression.

However, dire mammals tend to share several traits.

1. They're bigger.
    2. They're more intelligent.
    3. They tend to have oversized claws or teeth.
    4. Heavier and blunter heads, with increased neck musculature and a shaggy mane of coarser hair.
    5. Occasionally they grow horns or have extra teeth grow through the jaw and form a sort of spiked edge along the jaw.
    6. Dire mammals are also prone to certain fungi infections that form horn-like growths among the fur.

Note that intelligent bears (ursus sapiens) are a completely different species. Ursus Sapiens do have a weakness for simple sugars (such as those found in cheese, honey and fruits). As such picnic baskets are almost irresistable lures, although pure honey or honeyd porridge works just as well. Ants is apparently another weakness, purely because of the ticklish feeling of eating live ants.
    I used to have three of them, but they ran off with the hired assistant keeper. If I ever see that blonde girl again she's going to pay.

/Totally legit Archaeologist (not graverobber).

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    They also tend to have denser bones, but the reason we group them in with normal animals for the most part is that in the heat of the moment, there isn't a large difference between the two, anything that would generally kill a wolf, would also tend to kill a dire wolf, up until you get to dire elephant, but they've been wiped out due to the extra ivory they produced.

Not to say there isn't reason to know the difference between a dire wolf and say a timber wolf, but i would also argue that knowing the difference between a timber wolf and an arctic wolf would be just as useful.

Also cross breeding tends to remove most of the "dire" traits, suggesting they're a recessive gene, making a rare animal even rarer.

So, yes, dire animals are dangerous, but all wild animals can be dangerous, a brown bear can kill you just as dead as a dire bear, and a can full of nickles will save you from both.

It's quite strange though that humans display such a different reaction than most mammals to magical radiation.
    I mean, we do have sort of a dire form in the Troglodyte (which displays most dire traits except increased intelligence), most of the time the result is some form of Elf.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Are mammals the only family of animals susceptible to becoming dire animals?

Are there, for example, dire wasps? Dire squid?

Dire tarantula?

edited July 2016
    Are mammals the only family of animals susceptible to becoming dire animals?

Are there, for example, dire wasps? Dire squid?

Dire tarantula?

Dire animals exist in every category except insects.
    Dire squids (almost impossible to differentiate from Giant Squids except they're highly poisonous), Dire hummingbirds, Dire Eagles, Dire Scorpions, Dire Tarantula (indeed), Dire Snails, Dire Crabs etc

Since insects breathe through their exoskeleton and are very sensitive to size increases they do not exhibit dire traits. Giant insects (such as Giant Mantis or Mammoth Ants) have evolved special breathing organs and are as such not Dire animals.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Could a dire bear be the culprit in the case of my stolen picnic basket?

that sounds like a class two Yogi, do not approach.

I'm pretty sure green clothing is a weakness of theirs.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    well, elves are basically fey mutated humans, dire animals are for the most part considered a natural creation, as the fey equivalents tend to be vastly different.

We don't have much intel on fey animals, the few we have aren't necessarily smarter, but have a better connection to the elements, such as a storm dog is a much stronger swimmer than most any normal dog, also is much better at predicting storms.

Also, those strongly affected by demonic energies don't end up very elf like at all. Depending on the demon they can be real monstrous. The worst however are still the people who over do on troll's blood. they effecitvely just become a smaller troll, only known type to not need some kind of ritual to "seal the deal" as it were.

Was chasing down a guy, Sorcerer's apprentice, whose master was wanted for questioning and assumed us to be a hit squad. Was very clearly using troll's blood as a steroid, his skin was pallid, his arms looked longer than they should, and he was starting to walk with a bit of a lurch, all signs of possible troll blood abuse. So anyway, he high tails it, we're chasing on foot, he injects a vial, picks up speed, i watch him get hit by a car, clearly breaking his arm, he gets back, kinda snaps it back in place, starts running again favouring the arm for a few minutes and then is back to full sprint. Finally one of the other people i'm with gets fed up, opens fire on him to stop him from running. We all knew he was using troll's blood at this point so he assumed they'd survive either way. So, six or seven shots ring out, guy falls onto his knees, injects another vial, gets back up runs another hundred feet or so and collapses as we notice his skin is ripping and his hands are becoming claws. about half a minute later he's basically a river troll, we manage to subdue him by breaking his spine, and haul him off.

Apparently he was also traffic illegal magic goods that he also didn't want his boss to find out about, and figured being a troll was maaybe better off then what the sorcerer would do to him if he found out.

In short, troll's blood is a powerful steroid but super dangerous.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Ah yes, Sylph.
    Chi-pa-pa! Chi-pa-pa! Birds go cheep cheep!

There is only one proper response to that.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Monster Girl Eroge is for a very different Monster Guide thread

Was mostly checking to see who'd get it.

Had lamias come up first I'd have gone with the obvious.

I'm fairly sure that applies to anything supernatural. Don't do it.
    Fey, demonic, angelic (just as bad*). They all have nasty and irreversible sideeffects.

*Angelic Wish Feathers? The most common sideeffect is bleeding from the eyesockets.

They work well as combat steroids, though strangely dragon's blood is Probably the safest? even the eventual mutations aren't that bad if you're not actively in a dragon cult.

then you have the people who want to become more like whatever they're taking the blood of, but that being a rather black market the odds of actually getting the correct stuff is slim.

there was a rich guy, convinced he was dragon's blood, was using his resources to gather blood from the most elite and powerful dragons with the design to turn himself into a great dragon, then use his new found power to dominate north America. Had been planning this for decades before we even caught on.

Our teams bust in way too late to do anything the ritual was too far gone, even if we pulled the plug it would just make the transformation slower it was going to happen now. so we clear the area the best we can, start setting up a perimeter, expecting something between a greater fire dragon and a tyrant dragon.

he starts to emerge, dragon slaying teams in place, and it's a gross between a lesser fire dragon and a swamp dragon.

there wasn't a soul there that wasn't deeply disappointed.

Honestly though. With so many dragon's blood sorcerors and half-dragons around I'm thinking that humans react relatively well to dragonsblood (not recommended though) because we already have a fair amount of dragon in our ancestral history.

It's fairly well known that a large fraction of the shapeshifting intelligent dragons are a bunch of depraved libertines who will use their shapeshifting abilities as a means (and excuse) to bang anything.

i think it is largely the shape shifting nature of dragons. my liver is part dragon, and now i basically never get cold. It was a pretty good deal, tbh.

i think it is largely the shape shifting nature of dragons. my liver is part dragon, and now i basically never get cold. It was a pretty good deal, tbh.

You've done Chimeric surgery? Don't a lot of countries have bans on chimeric augmentation?

You've done Chimeric surgery? Don't a lot of countries have bans on chimeric augmentation?

In this instance, it was battle field surgery, and I still mostly owe that dragon a blood debt.

Still better than letting that ice giant win though.

Fuck that guy. AND i got to keep the javelin that turns into a lightning bolt when thrown, so i mean, the outside of doing odd jobs for a dragon there's no real downside.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    They work well as combat steroids, though strangely dragon's blood is Probably the safest? even the eventual mutations aren't that bad if you're not actively in a dragon cult.

then you have the people who want to become more like whatever they're taking the blood of, but that being a rather black market the odds of actually getting the correct stuff is slim.

there was a rich guy, convinced he was dragon's blood, was using his resources to gather blood from the most elite and powerful dragons with the design to turn himself into a great dragon, then use his new found power to dominate north America. Had been planning this for decades before we even caught on.

Our teams bust in way too late to do anything the ritual was too far gone, even if we pulled the plug it would just make the transformation slower it was going to happen now. so we clear the area the best we can, start setting up a perimeter, expecting something between a greater fire dragon and a tyrant dragon.

he starts to emerge, dragon slaying teams in place, and it's a gross between a lesser fire dragon and a swamp dragon.

Do human-dragon semi mutations typically have small hands?

Do human-dragon semi mutations typically have small hands?

No, also by the time their skin starts picking up strange hues scales are noticeable and typically manifest on the hands first. Without naming names, i think the person are referencing might be in league with gnomes or maybe imps, and their small stature is having some effect on his appearance. Or maybe a group of them are working together to wear a hastily made man suit.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I always assumed there was some demonic influence present

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    well, there's no proof it isn't demons, i'm merely saying if it is, it's not powerful demons

Pixie

The pixie is a small humanoid fey that is noted for it’s generally playful attitude and child-like sensibilities. This makes the pixie a strange mix of unintentionally cruel and joyfully helpful, often at the same time. The pixie’s size is not a fixed measurement able to exist between a few inches to nearly two feet tall, it is not known which is a more normal height, and it doesn’t seem to be linked to age, suggesting they have very fine control over their appearance. Pixies tend to inhabit areas with at least some thick woods and water, and stay hidden to all but those they think might be fun to play with, which is typically young children. If they take a liking to the child they aren’t above stealing them, which is the real threat the pixie poses.

The pixie is a water and earth fey, able to call on both magics, which gives the pixie some interesting abilities, though due to their nature none of them are very combative. They are however masters of polymorph magic, able to turn a human into a chicken in the blink of an eye. Aside from this they tend to focus on invisibility and flight.

So with this said, fighting a pixie? Isn’t really a thing that is going to happen, as you’re likely to end up an animal for a few days or will just never find them. Instead, the best way to get a pixie to leave is destroy its nest. A pixie’s nest is typically located in a place of a tree a child would likely think to be well hidden, and is noticeably different than most bird’s nests as it will include exclusively small worthless trinkets stolen from near by houses and places, that might catch the eye of someone, as well a distinct lack of grasses and mud. Nice ribbons, foil paper, cosmetic jewelry are all a common find in a pixie horde, simply knock it out of the tree, break a few things and most pixies will get upset and leave the area immediately. A few might retaliate, so having means to ward off magic is useful.

Making a bargain with a pixie is also possible, however actually enforcing the terms agreed on is difficult, and as one might suspect about a fickle creature with the added fickleness of a child, it becomes nearly impossible to actually hammer in a deal. If that is your goal however involving an arbitrator to enforce it is largely required, but not recommended, as most fall into the realm of Demonic, or a bigger deal than the pixie.

Simply getting them to leave if the more ideal solution.

If your child is stolen by a pixie retrieving them is very difficult, near impossible requiring anything from striking a better deal than your child made, to invoking ancient rituals to return stolen property. If you suspect your child has been stolen by a pixie please contact an expert, do not wander headlong into the woods to find the pixie and attempt to strike a deal to have your child returned.

• Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    What happens to children stolen by fae?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    We don't currently know, as you can imagine, they aren't likely to go around telling us what we're used for. And we don't really have the resources to lead many expeditions off world, so finding out isn't really going to happen any time soon.

Curretnly the theories are labour force, train them young to do complicated tasks for whatever designs they need and they'll do it like pros. another is future elf stock, pixies and elves do seem to get along fairly well. or lastly, they're used as food or a source of new pixies. we've no information on how pixies reproduce, they might use children to hatch their young.

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I've heard that pixie dust can be used to grant flight, any experience with poachers harvesting pixies for this magical reagent?

VRXwDW7.png
    pixies are actually currently listed under pest and therefore are offered no protection due to their plentiful numbers and knack for child abduction. So, we don't invest much effort in making sure people aren't hunting pixies for reagents, as they're actually capable of defending themselves, hard to find, and we actually want them gone.

That said, pixie dust itself doesn't cause flight, but it can cause weightlessness and a disconnect from gravity making it popular for stunt jumps and sky diving. Some use it in flight spells, figuring the extra lift will be useful, but just smearing yourself in pixie dust is not going to grant you flight.

I've heard whispers that it's true that Pixie dust is made from the laughter of children, and to make it pixies kidnap children, use spells to induce euphoria and then kill them when they're too old and their laughter isn't effective anymore...

...but that's just what I've heard.

yeah, that fits in as well.

Pixies: still dark as shit, but much less than what i was writing about beforehand.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Personally I'd prefer it if each monster had its own thread so I can go "awesome, new monster"

Tube wrote: »
    Personally I'd prefer it if each monster had its own thread so I can go "awesome, new monster"

One per monster seems a bit like clutter, though I do agree that re-purposing the thread gets messy.

Been wanting to do goblins or something, maybe I will just start a new thread instead of tying up fey.

Orkankopf (placeholder name)

A relatively rare type of fey creature, this one seems to live deep within storms, and while it does not create storms, its presence does strengthen them. The base form of the Orkankopf is currently unknown, and it has been known to take the form of a large bird, a lithe elf, and even a kirin-like creature. It is speculated that none of these are its true form, and instead a form based on how it should be best understood at the moment. Currently categorized as a storm fey they have command over both water and air magic, though neither seem to be too strong they are still certainly dangerous. As well, they seem to only reside in storms, often fleeing the realm after the storm tapers off, making any environment you fight them in exceptionally dangerous as well.

What Orkankopf want or desire is currently unknown, simply that they live inside of storms. If other creatures exist in storms we haven’t discovered that act as food or maybe making the storm strong acts as feeding are our current leading theories. Their interactions with humans are very rare, though the few times they have appeared to humans and spoke they claim to be the lord or guardian of the storm and offer rewards for fealty, usually survival but sometimes more, such as artifacts linked to storms. This overall leads to a great deal of confusion as to their goals. If you have any ideas, please, let us know, we’ll gladly take any reasonable theory.

Like a sylph fighting an Orkankopf is more about surviving the storm than actually fighting them. Strong winds and lightning strikes should be expected, however, unlike the Sylph, stooping their magic isn’t going to stop the storm, it will at most weaken it. Firearms are recommended for this one because we’re currently unsure what its true form is, and have yet to study a dead one to learn anything. If you have killed or captured an Orkankopf please contact us and let us know, we will gladly reimburse you for costs and damages. Are you an Orkankopf, please contact us, we would like to learn more about you, and can promise this is not actually a trap to ensnare you for deeper research, our honour demands the truth.

Just a rumor, but I heard that the Tunguska event was the result of a russian sorcerous cabal killing an "Orkankopf", with pretty bad results.

We tend to just call them "Åskfågel" (lit. Thunderbirds), but it's my belief that a number of different thundergods have their origin in observations of these creatures.

We tend to avoid the term thunderbird to avoid confusing them with the native american thunderbird, and the giant bird that shot lightning around and then disappeared which we think is the thunder bird.

Are these things related? we don't yet know, but maybe.

edited August 2016
    Sooo. Mimics. Advice? How do you recognize a mimic? Because when this happens it's usually too late.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Fuck that's a really good question, I'm always getting messed with by mimics.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    How has our understanding of fey creatures evolved in the modern age?

Are there any critters that were previously believed to be fey and have since been recategorized, or vice versa?

Sooo. Mimics. Advice? How do you recognize a mimic? Because when this happens it's usually too late.

Mimics are very difficult to discern, even harder to define. Mimics are another worldly creature with no known source, and do not show any real weakness to iron, this makes them fairly unique in out experiences. What is know is that they don't like direct sunlight, and that their ability to copy is not perfect. Couches that fade quickly in sun light can be a give away of a mimic, a dumpster never seen outside of a building's shadow despite none around to move it? mimic. They also don't seem to be able to perfectly copy hardness and softness of objects, and objects with multiple areas with different hardness can be a give away. a softer than usual door, the couch a bit stiffer than normal, mattress and box spring feel the same? all possible mimics. there however is no one easy way to discover a mimic as many will go to great lengths to stay hidden, the best way I've found is get a team of armed people ready and have someone try to take the thing apart. this often forces it into action, because it will be discovered and lose the advantage of surprise, but since you have armed goons right there it's not bound to go well.
    How has our understanding of fey creatures evolved in the modern age?

Are there any critters that were previously believed to be fey and have since been recategorized, or vice versa?

It is notably the other way around from personal experiences, things people thought were demons or angels turning out to be fey. Though trolls turning out not to be fey was kind of a big deal in the 40s, sure they ignored iron, but they ignored everything short of fire, so why would that matter. Finding out that trolls originate on earth blew people's minds.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Dear Monster Guide,

I recently had some rather large mushrooms show up in my backyard. I'm in a fairly wet climate, so this wasn't that surprising, but they've grown even more since then, and I swear that they've been moving around at night.

A quick glance though my tomes revealed that they're likely myconids, but not a whole lot else. I must have bought the abridged version. Anyways, these things have to be fey, right? I mean, connection to the natural world, weird as hell, they fit all the criteria. But what are they doing out there? I haven't been attacked or anything, and I'm not about to start swinging steel against a creature I don't know, but they are a bit unsettling, for sure.

Thanks,

Mushroomed in the Marshland

Straightzi on
    Dear Mushroomed,

plant creatures are most commonly fey, as magically animated plants have become much rarer in these days, so the assumption isn't a bad one. What they are exactly is a big harder to guess without being able to see them personally but for the most part they all kind within the same kind of boundaries. Chiefly, self propagation with the kinder ones just over taking an area driving out the wild life that can't survive on weird mutant mushrooms while the other will gladly over take the local wild life with parasitic spores. It should be noted that for this you are part of the local wild life, and having a well developed nervous system won't save you.

Fire and iron are your friends here, as well as a filtration mask a good one don't cheap out on this part because it might be the line between remaining in control of your own body.

Normally I would say to leave them alone but they're an invasive species even on the best of days so driving them out and burning all their spawn is the best course of action.

hope this helps,

D. Melding, terrible gardener.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Oh Jesus I had never thought of modern day mimics and that shit is harrowing

CYpGAPn.png
    if you find a fly by night furniture being run by a man with serpent like features, don't buy a god damn thing.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Forget that, watch out for those cheap VR rig sales! Put it on and it just starts sucking your eyeballs right outta your head! Then nomnomnom into your brain and on down.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    chromdom wrote: »
    Forget that, watch out for those cheap VR rig sales! Put it on and it just starts sucking your eyeballs right outta your head! Then nomnomnom into your brain and on down.

I actually have been working on a thing where demons and evil spirits/fey make the technological leap. The VR demon can affect you in real life while any outside observer will just see chunks being bitten off, there's a cell phone demon who deliberately lets the phone get stolen and then pulls the person through the screen to eat when they try using it, and a demon who can use a sort of voodoo to link a virtual character in a game to the person playing it. Also a streaming demon who invites horny people to private cam shows, then when they come into the show they see the video is of their own room and the demon is slowly walking closer. If the person turns around they won't see anything, but when they turn back to the screen the demon is right there and any outside observers just see the person vanish screaming.

Madican on