As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] Come For Advice, Stay For the Coil Whine.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    You should just be able to plug the SATA data and power cables into the SSD and be good to go. 1 cable each. And done.
    That's what I did

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The drive will only show up properly in the windows disk management if it's been pre-partitioned by the manufacturer.

Samsung drives, in particular, do not. Some others don't as well.

First and foremost, check to see if your BIOS is set to AHCI and not IDE/Compatibility mode or RAID for your SATA disks.

You may have to enter the command line utilities to partition that drive, which is a whole can of crazy if you're not good with partition stuff and command line. There's software you can get to do this for you instead, I'd recommend that. Partition Master has taken this role from Partition Magic in particular for newbies (no idea how good it is though). If you're comfortable with linux, gparted is the go to for this.

Edit: It seems like your system might be in RAID mode? Or you might have 2 ports dedicated to RAID mode and the system put it in RAID0 by default.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I am the dumb.

I never actually plugged in the power cord.

Woooo

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I am the dumb.

Woooo

Happens a lot. :eek:

• Options
    Then you have almost a terabyte of unpartitioned space on your main hard drive, you should use that for storage too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I am the dumb.

Woooo

you'd be surprised how often "I forgot to plug something in" is the correct problem resolution in a build, even for people who have done many builds over the years.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I put my new computer together a couple of weeks ago. I'd only done it once before, but I'd also read/watched countless resources then and now on how to put one together. I felt pretty confident during the process, but when I first booted it up, it was a no-go. Some weird cryptic behavior that I didn't know how to interpret. Then I realized my mobo had debug lights. Then I realized that the "DRAM" light on the mobo was on.

I didn't push the RAM sticks all the way in.

You know, the simplest thing to do? The thing that comes with an audible and tactile click? The thing I told myself that surely I won't mess up? Yeah, that thing.

(In my defense, I was super-scared of pressing on the sticks too hard for fear to damaging the mother board.)

• Options
    edited August 2016
    yeah getting over the "OH MY GOD I MIGHT BREAK $200 IF I PUSH TOO HARD" is a difficult

bowen on
  • Options
    You get so many of those moments, too.

- Over-tightening the screws that hold the mobo in place.
    - Screwing up the CPU/thermal paste/cooler system.
    - Plugging anything into the mobo (RAM, PCI card).
    - Plugging in a cable at an awkward angle, so it feels like the connector will eventually get wrenched off of the mobo (I get this feeling with SATA cables all the time).

I feel like putting a computer together doesn't really have too many BIG difficulties, but it's just piles and piles of little difficulties heaped together.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You eventually get over it the more you do it. I'm more concerned about breaking the RAM trying to insert it rather than the MB.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It's just like legos though, amirite?

• Options

pretty much

easier to pull stuff out though, legos sometimes require teeth or fingernails that are herculean in strength to do the job

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

pretty much

easier to pull stuff out though, legos sometimes require teeth or fingernails that are herculean in strength to do the job

Just make sure you use a non-conductive glue or you're just asking for trouble.

• Options
    edited August 2016

pretty much

630?$main$

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    that shit was garbage

never worked on the 1x2x1 bricks that were always stuck together

that's fingernail territory

• Options
    1T38gcT.jpg

Good luck using the separator tool on those

• Options
    1T38gcT.jpg

That's where the opposite flat end of the separator tool comes in.

• Options
    Actually, it works really well on those, but you do need two - one one top, one on the bottom.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    My monitor, an Acer G257HU, has had a really bad problem with cutting out, and blacking out, coming on again, blacking out, coming on again, etc. Looking this problem up online, it seems that this may be due to the monitor shipping with an exceedingly poor quality DisplayPort cable. People have fixed this by ordering a new cable or by switching to the DVI cable and port. Surprisingly, male to male DP cables seem to be out of stock at Monoprice, although I can get one from Amazon. Is there any advantage to DP over DVI?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Basically. Except legos usually don't cost a few hundred bucks if they chip or break. PC components are usually 10 to 100 times more expensive.

Also, legos are tougher. The thing is, PC components are actually tougher than they look (mostly because they look like delicate, fragile flowers), but they're no where near as tough as legos.

Otherwise, similar.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    My monitor, an Acer G257HU, has had a really bad problem with cutting out, and blacking out, coming on again, blacking out, coming on again, etc. Looking this problem up online, it seems that this may be due to the monitor shipping with an exceedingly poor quality DisplayPort cable. People have fixed this by ordering a new cable or by switching to the DVI cable and port. Surprisingly, male to male DP cables seem to be out of stock at Monoprice, although I can get one from Amazon. Is there any advantage to DP over DVI?

Technically, yes. But if you're asking you probably don't need them. So either will work. That have to be one horrible cable, but suppose it could be if it's physically broken inside or something.

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Anyone want a Acer XB270HU bprz Black 27'' 144 Hz 1440p monitor? I'm eyeballing the 34"inchers from Acer and ASUS and want to get rid of the one i'm using currently before I pull the trigger.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Honestly, I don't think putting together a computer is like putting together Legos. You have a lot of free form creativity available with Legos, but with computer building pretty much everything only goes in one or two places.

Can't really think of a better analogy though... Lincoln Logs maybe?

• Options
    An entertainment center. It all goes together just so, but fairly straight forward and you could screw it up a little (possibly a lot where it kills your expensive purchase, but not overly likely).

• Options
    Where did these extra screws come from?!?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Where did these extra screws come from?!?

Phanteks includes a seemingly random number of extra screws with their cases, even for screws you could only ever use X number of, like motherboard screws. No one could possibly use more than 8 in this case, but they give you, like, 13. I assume it's their way of being thoughtful in case you lose one, but man, if you've lost 5 motherboard screws, you probably should find a different hobby.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    1T38gcT.jpg

this is where you burn down your entire collection and start again

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Just installed a bunch of case fans in the midi tower I put my old hardware into. 2x 120mm inbound front and one outbound in the back. What a difference it makes...

Regard the max values on CPU temps:

Before:
    j0f1l7d3rsn4.jpg

After:
    8coins3smnmx.jpg

Yes, I know that 93°C is still way too high for a CPU, but these measurements were taken after running the Intel Burn Test on "Very High" stress intensity for about 15 mins. In normal operation, even when rendering, it doesn't get anywhere near that.

I also installed some fans in my big case, so now its cooling consists of two inbound case fans, one 230mm in front and one 140mm in rear, and the 2x120mm fans of my H100i v2 watercooling outbound on top. Unfortunately I didn't take any measurements before the installation, but already the watercooling fans have a much easier time keeping the liquid cool now that there's actual inbound airflow.

As an aside: how much room should there be in front of inbound fans if they're mounted e.g. under the front cover? It seems to me like they're a bit snug right now, with not even 0.5cm room between the fan and the case. There are plenty of mesh-covered air holes on the sides of the front cover, but none on the actual front.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    As long as there are no blockages to the fans, the spacing doesn't matter. Otherwise, they should be placed to either draw in or exhaust from the nearest opening.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't think putting together a computer is like putting together Legos. You have a lot of free form creativity available with Legos, but with computer building pretty much everything only goes in one or two places.

Can't really think of a better analogy though... Lincoln Logs maybe?

wooden_shape_sorter_toy_cover.jpg

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Question, build thread:

A while back I bought a Dell with an i3-6100 and 8gb ram. Dropped a 750ti in it and been playing catch up on years of games.

The problem is the psu is only 240w. The 750ti only draws roughly 75w under load.

I'm looking at gtx 950 cards as a potential upgrade because reviewr state they are also low power cards, drawing about 90w under load.

Went to power supply calculator and it estimated my pc's current draw under load to be 185w.

Would it be bad to bump that up to 200w on a 240w psu or should I just wait a couple years til I can afford a new build? Wish I had researched dell and their proprietary psu/motherboard garbage before the buy but eh

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »
    Question, build thread:

A while back I bought a Dell with an i3-6100 and 8gb ram. Dropped a 750ti in it and been playing catch up on years of games.

The problem is the psu is only 240w. The 750ti only draws roughly 75w under load.

I'm looking at gtx 950 cards as a potential upgrade because reviewr state they are also low power cards, drawing about 90w under load.

Went to power supply calculator and it estimated my pc's current draw under load to be 185w.

Would it be bad to bump that up to 200w on a 240w psu or should I just wait a couple years til I can afford a new build? Wish I had researched dell and their proprietary psu/motherboard garbage before the buy but eh

I would just wait. A lot of Dells use generic ATX PSUs but a lot also don't. You would probably be happier saving your money and getting a 1060 with a brand new build.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    True. But the urge to make a fairly inexpensive jump is strong :)

Oh no, asus makes a 75w version

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    93 isn't necessarily high for a CPU

That appears to be a normal temperature for that CPU once stress tested. Most CPUs will shut off before damage happens to them, usually that's 110 deg C, IIRC. I'm fairly positive the iX series in particular will thermally throttle the CPU, so once it hits 90 degrees it'll start lowering voltage to keep it within safe temperatures.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    What up PC build thread

Got a question,

I'm speccing out a new PC and I'm torn on the processor

Should I go I5-6600 OR I7 6700?

I only ask because originally I was going to get a GTX 1080 but after some advice from the guys over in the SE++ steam thread, the 1070 gives me more bang for my buck.

I was wondering if the same logic applies to the processor?

• Options
    Is this for mainly gaming? I5. You do something you know works with hyperthreading? I7.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    It's mainly for gaming.

I had to google what hyperthreading is for.

I am the old man who yells at clouds now.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    It's mainly for gaming.

I had to google what hyperthreading is for.

I am the old man who yells at clouds now.

i5 all the way.

• Options
    A lot of games these days are taking advantage of the extra threads you get with HT. Total Warhammer comes to mind.

• Options
    Also if you are thinking of streaming or recording gameplay, an i7 would come in handy. Wish I had one and I will definitely on my next build.

This discussion has been closed.