As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Discovering [Star Trek] on Netflix

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
About these dudes

pg2_kirk_spock_300.jpg

655850_001.jpg

star-trek-beyond-sequel-wont-recast-anton-yelchins-chekov-role-says-jj-abrams__930990_.jpg

John_Cho-Sulu-400x300.jpg

and these girls

zoesaldanapic.jpg

f118bd122dbb4f4b10f0b9dde2e1ad0c.jpg

f9da10f7f249b090e244b5ec52c5c08d.jpg

Fighting this guy

2acf68ea90be53d608dbfcb2c508d188bd1992ae.jpg

and this guy

5c59dcc8affaeab5b24b0b4d853102feb7da9337.jpg

and an alien who totally isn't Idris Elba

krall-480x271.jpg

Harry Dresden on

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    And these:

star-trek-v.jpg

also these:

patrick-stewart-dst3-tng-cast-reunion.jpg

and these:

ds9-season5.jpg

and yes, even these:

voyager-cast1.png

tumblr_inline_nrlgc2Oe1i1t0ijhl_540.jpg

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Poor, poor Enterprise crew.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

T'Pol's expression is priceless.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    About these dudes

Top-Image-Kirk-and-Spock.jpg

320x240.jpg

star-trek-Pavel_Chekov.jpg

320x240.jpg

and these girls

320x240.jpg

320x240.jpg

Alice_-_Carol_Marcus.jpg

Fighting this guy

320x240.jpg

and this guy

e6e434e7ad7dfa29669b9cf611dbc26e.jpg

and an alien who totally isn't Lurch from the Adams Family.

ruk__span.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    (yes I know he's an android but he's an alien android so it still counts ok)

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    About these dudes

Top-Image-Kirk-and-Spock.jpg

320x240.jpg

star-trek-Pavel_Chekov.jpg

320x240.jpg

and these girls

320x240.jpg

320x240.jpg

Alice_-_Carol_Marcus.jpg

Fighting this guy

320x240.jpg

and this guy

e6e434e7ad7dfa29669b9cf611dbc26e.jpg

and an alien who totally isn't Lurch from the Adams Family.

ruk__span.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Rm0x73oD4

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I just watched Birthright, and I'm amazed that after watching all of DS9 and most of TNG, there's still an episode that can make me hate Klingon culture even more. And surely there's an easier way to make WMDs in the Star Trek universe than Starship Mine?

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Coinage wrote: »
    I just watched Birthright, and I'm amazed that after watching all of DS9 and most of TNG, there's still an episode that can make me hate Klingon culture even more. And surely there's an easier way to make WMDs in the Star Trek universe than Starship Mine?

Oh, surely. Just like if you have access to weapons-grade pathogens, or several pounds of plutonium or enriched uranium, or other highly-refined substances that governments try to keep very close tabs on...
    If you don't have any of those, you're basically stuck with a truckload of fertilizer and gasoline siphoning the trilithium resin out of a warp engine.

(Though it still implies that most civilian vessels don't use antimatter to power their warp drives, as making a crude bomb out of an antideuterium container is trivial - just rig some way of cutting the power or making a small hole in it.)

Commander Zoom on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

T'Pol's expression is priceless.

I'm sure there was a price tag on those lips

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Somewhere out there, there's an alternate dimension where DS9 got the Bluray/HD treatment.

Number One Tricky
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Somewhere out there, there's an alternate dimension where DS9 got the Bluray/HD treatment.

Would that make it look particularly awesome? You're still dealing with standard-resolution source material.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Would that make it look particularly awesome? You're still dealing with standard-resolution source material.

From what I've seen of the TNG Bluray, it looks appreciably better.

Number One Tricky
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Yeah, wasn't TNG originally shot in wide screen then cut down to 4:3 later? Pretty sure I read something to that effect.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

From what I've seen of the TNG Bluray, it looks appreciably better.

Well they also re-did a lot of the starship/planet bits with new graphics, that goes a long way.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Speaking of TNG remaster. Can anyone confirm which version is on Netflix in the US currently? I've toyed with the idea of a rewatch or at least revisit some of my favorite episodes but I'd probably only bother if I had access to the remastered versions as I'd kind of like to check those out.

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    I'm left to wonder is if what's holding DS9 back from a HD remaster is that the effects in the second half of the series are CG rather than practical, and re-compositing them would be cost prohibitive.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    I'm left to wonder is if what's holding DS9 back from a HD remaster is that the effects in the second half of the series are CG rather than practical, and re-compositing them would be cost prohibitive.

The big thing is cost. TOS was done because there were "only" 78 episodes and they used it as a showcase. TNG got done because it is super popular and remains one of, if not the most successful first run syndicated show ever, and the fans constantly support it by continuing to buy it.

DS9 and Voyager will likely never see the remastered treatment because they didn't have the same following, and the likely sales on any remastered versions won't cover the costs to do it for the 150ish episodes of each.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I have always felt that Star Trek works better as a TV-Series than big movies. The themes of the setting deserve slow burns.

That aside, I loved Beyond. Got a little dust in my eyes at the end.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    Decius wrote: »

Yeah, they pretty much did everything with CG in DS9 while TNG was mostly models and they still had the green screen footage on original film.

edited August 2016
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I have always felt that Star Trek works better as a TV-Series than big movies. The themes of the setting deserve slow burns.

That aside, I loved Beyond. Got a little dust in my eyes at the end.

yea, Trek movies and Trek TV are two different Treks and really should be treated that way. Whenever they try to do a movie that feels like a longer episode of Trek it gets panned (Insurrection being the biggest notable here), and whenever they just do an action pew-pew-pew blockbuster type film, many people go "This isn't star trek!" hard to have it both ways.

And also, it's weird, my movie theatre was really dusty right by the end of the movie as well.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    edit - to be fair I don't know why in the year of our lord 2016, with new vanilla forum technology, we can't just let threads go on for infinity pages

I'm not a mod nor would I dream of speaking for one, but I *believe* the answer is that it's kind of a forum tradition with pragmatic benefits. The New Thread start over is easier to approach and a bit less daunting to reset every so often than having people try to wade into 200-500+ page monstrosities that some would build into over time. It can be an opportunity to have some contentious matters from previous editions fade a little, and also a fresh start for users who might have been given a time out in this incarnations (again; not a mod, but presumably someone who has been banned from X thread would be permitted in the X2 thread, as long as they behaved themselves).

So there are a couple of benefits, and I don't think there are many massive detriments. If we're really concerned we could keep links to the old threads in the OP, as some multi-thread conversations do.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • mcpmcp Registered User regular
    One of my friends is in Vegas for the convention and I'm jealous as fuck.

Have to wait until September for the Chicago one. I'm super stoked to meet Andy Robinson.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016

it was filmed on film, as was TNG, hence TNG now looks amazing as would DS9

edit - remaster business:
    TNG is INCREDIBLY popular and CBS thought the remasters would sell quite well
    they did not sell nearly as well as they had hoped, DS9 will most likely never be remastered based on current sales projections, let alone voyager. (maybe if they weren't price so ludicrously high.....)

TNG was never shot in widescreen, it was always shot and framed for 4:3. In the season one remaster they talk about it, because it was shot on film the actual negative has a ton of more data in it, it would be easy to reframe the image to be widescreen but because it wasn't framed for it tons of stuff is in the edges that would show up on screen (camera equipment, mics, etc), and there would be things cut off from the top and bottom, again because of how it was framed. Also all the Effects were done for 4:3 so if a ship was flying by they wouldn't have the sides of it for all the practical effects, etc.

but man, as long as you are fine with 4:3 the remastered TNG episodes are glorious, the colours are so vibrant, it's amazing.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    oh hey, here's that 23 minute featurette about it from the Season 1 set:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6xkXGZSdWE

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    I imagine also redoing the effects depends on how much of the source files were saved. I know B5 lost a lot of theirs so redoing effects (especially mixing actors and CGI) just didn't make sense when they did the DVD release.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    specifially for the 4:3 to 16:9 stuff, there are a couple examples of things that were originally framed for 4:3 and then released later on in 16:9. It goes badly.

the best example I can remember is Buffy, where if you watch Seasons 1 or 2 in a widescreen presentation in some shots you can see part of the sets, things like lighting and scaffolding and marks where things/people are supposed to go. It actually hurts it a lot to the point that watching in 4:3 is so much better.

Naphtali wrote: »
    I imagine also redoing the effects depends on how much of the source files were saved. I know B5 lost a lot of theirs so redoing effects (especially mixing actors and CGI) just didn't make sense when they did the DVD release.

the nice thing about not having a HD release of B5 means that hopefully nobody ever has to watch that garbage and can instead just rewatch DS9 forever.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    also, if you're curious about the difference the restoration actually made here's a great video showcasing it from All Good Things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8vS72uk8GM

This is the very last episode of TNG, the one in which it would have looked "best" on broadcast. The different is still staggering.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    The HD version is amazing, I recently rewatched all of TNG in HD.

The only negative thing I can say is that you really notice how some of the make up work was probably meant for SD :P

Data looks like a painted human rather than an android more often than in SD..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I was surprised recently, watching TNG on Amazon Prime, that the set design from seasons 5-7 actually looks a lot similar to the "too clean" look I associate with Voyager. Seasons 1 and 2 look a lot like the original series. The design of the show really seems to peak in seasons 3-5, and I assume budget stuff probably started to cut into what they wanted to do later on. Maybe it was being a kid or the blurry CRT, but I actually remember a lot of detail that never existed apparently. My mind just kind of filled in the blanks. Every once in awhile you hit a scene they obviously couldn't remaster, and its jarring how blurry it looks in comparison to the rest of show. Its a testament to the effects artists that almost all the makeup holds up in HD 20-30 years later.

I really liked some of the early "lost human colony" plots that I think I missed back in the day. Towards the end of the run, the show treats the galaxy as a lot smaller and pedestrian, some of that wonder from the early seasons gets lost. I forget what critic I was watching review Beyond, but he said something like "I get it. Its a starship flying around the galaxy, there's only so much you can do with that." And I immediately thought, "what the hell are you talking about? Do you know how big the galaxy is? You can do ANYTHING with that." I think the movies follow well worn "Star Trek" plots because you just can't get too weird or you lose people and end up with The Motion Picture. Like Star Wars, people know what they want from Star Trek, and if you deviate from the formula you have to be very careful about how you do it, or you lose accessibility.

Every once in awhile you hit a scene they obviously couldn't remaster, and its jarring how blurry it looks in comparison to the rest of show.
    I believe at this point they've found all film footage of some of the scenes they were only able to find VHS masters for. Sadly the blu-rays will never been rerelease since that would be insane but apparently the netflix versions will have these couple of episodes fixed.

(we're talking like less than 30 minutes of footage total through throughout the run of 7 seasons, anything else you are noticing is just the way it is and not to do with the remaster)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    specifially for the 4:3 to 16:9 stuff, there are a couple examples of things that were originally framed for 4:3 and then released later on in 16:9. It goes badly.

the best example I can remember is Buffy, where if you watch Seasons 1 or 2 in a widescreen presentation in some shots you can see part of the sets, things like lighting and scaffolding and marks where things/people are supposed to go. It actually hurts it a lot to the point that watching in 4:3 is so much better.
    I'm happy they kept the original aspect ratio for the TNG remaster. I bet there was an exec or two who was like 'you gotta get rid of these black bars!' that they had to fight.

TNG was never shot in widescreen, it was always shot and framed for 4:3. In the season one remaster they talk about it, because it was shot on film the actual negative has a ton of more data in it, it would be easy to reframe the image to be widescreen but because it wasn't framed for it tons of stuff is in the edges that would show up on screen (camera equipment, mics, etc), and there would be things cut off from the top and bottom, again because of how it was framed. Also all the Effects were done for 4:3 so if a ship was flying by they wouldn't have the sides of it for all the practical effects, etc.

but man, as long as you are fine with 4:3 the remastered TNG episodes are glorious, the colours are so vibrant, it's amazing.

A lot of TNG, especially effects shots and panning shots were shot in Cinemascope which is 2:1 and later pan and scanned to 4:3

widescreen_breakdown.jpg

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

I'm happy they kept the original aspect ratio for the TNG remaster. I bet there was an exec or two who was like 'you gotta get rid of these black bars!' that they had to fight.
    And I've seen some posts on /r/startrek from people starting it on Netflix and complaining about the aspect ratio, which I guess is why HBO fucked up The Wire Blu-rays.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

the nice thing about not having a HD release of B5 means that hopefully nobody ever has to watch that garbage and can instead just rewatch DS9 forever.

Both are fine shows. B5 is not garbage. I think it sticks its landing better than DS9 but both are immensely enjoyable shows with more good episodes than bad and large overarching plots that weren't previously done on television. B5 certainly did more with what small limited budget they had. I may be feeling overly defensive of B5 since I just found out Jerry Doyle passed away a few days ago.

B5 never had any of those terrible Ferengi episodes, and DS9 didn't have "Grey 17 Is Missing".

Both did great things with their very talented cast that even made some of the clunkier scenes still worth watching.

Yeah what the fuck.. I LOVE DS9, but Babylon 5 is an amazing show that does an overarching plot line in a time TV really didn't do that.

B5 deservey to be watched, it's one of the really good SF Series brought on TV. Kinda like farscape, people dismiss it nowadays because of the effects- Farscape because of the "puppets". B5 because of the "Cheap 3D graphics"

But both are amazing series that any SF fan really should watch

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I kinda really want a HD Farscape. Because that show was awesome. Perfect blend of Star Trek, Star Wars, and Doctor Who, unfortunately released upon a world that was not yet ready for it.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Yeah, I kinda really want a HD Farscape. Because that show was awesome. Perfect blend of Star Trek, Star Wars, and Doctor Who, unfortunately released upon a world that was not yet ready for it.

Well yeah, but at least was finished nicely with those 4 movies. I also was guilty of underappreciating the series when it was new.. I only watched it years later and boy was my face red

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    yes please.
    tumblr_mzhkh2xysh1ss74bio1_400.jpg

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    yes please.
    tumblr_mzhkh2xysh1ss74bio1_400.jpg

Ah, good ol' Harvey. I'd say its more Fifth Element than Star Wars personally. Parts of Season 1 are hella rough, but if you get through that, it is a ride.

This discussion has been closed.