As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Eve Online Special Edition] Expansions, Mac/Linux Clients, and newbie drive

• Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I played EVE for a couple of dayswhen I stayed at a friends house. I barely left port, I was so scared. I trained skills. :P Whenever I get a gaming PC, this sill be my MMO.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Eve is cool. Stop being uncool and play Eve.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    My computer can't run it. :(

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm mostly sticking to high security areas, luckily. I figured that, since I just started, it's best to stick to the highest security places possible if I use autopilot. On my way back to Ishisomo after finishing the beginner quest, got myself a Condor with the money. Now I'm on the lookout for NPC pirates to kill so's I can get enough money to have weapons that don't suck.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just drop by the pa channel ingame and say you're a newbie and usually you'll get a few mil tossed at you. We know how shitty it is for new guys to make real money so (at least in GF) we're generally generous, since we can make whatever we give you in like an hour, tops.

deadtear on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I just watched this: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/14270

I wish I could be a part of that. Gah.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Regicide, what on earth are your system specifications. The old graphics engine is nearly half a decade old now, I can't imagine that your machine isn't good enough to at least run the client.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Intel Celeron CPU, 1.2GHz
    512RAM
    32MB, 24bit Intel 8281 Graphics Controller

I don't have T&L, which is why I can't run most games.

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    Intel Celeron CPU, 1.2GHz
    512RAM
    32MB, 24bit Intel 8281 Graphics Controller

I don't have T&L, which is why I can't run most games.

Hrm.... run it a low enough resolution, turn the z buffer off... it could work.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No, EVE does require T&L, so the client would explode on contact.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sigh, gotta jump all the way to fucking Ishisomo again. Someone accept my app or something. Im tired of jumping back and forth to reapply.

Smashism on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Couple questions:

How do I know if my app has been accepted or rejected?

How do I get on the PA channel? I've got really no clue how to navigate the social networking stuff as I'm still working my way around the UI.

How in the hell do missiles and ammunition work? My civillian gatling railgun didn't seem to require any ammunition, but the standard missile launcher I purchased never seems to fire, even when I've got standard light missiles in my cargo. Help and tutorials aren't doing anything for me, either.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    This game is starting to become overwhelming again, some direction would be nice but I cant even apply for Merch I, lame.
    Guess, I'll run a couple more missions in boredom and log again. Thanks for the tutorials eve but I'm still waiting for the fun.

I want to go run some missions, but if I leave this stupid fucking station I'd probably have to come back just to apply YET AGAIN.

Smashism on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    No, EVE does require T&L, so the client would explode on contact.

Holy crap I've never seen that term before, hence I completely ignored it.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Couple questions:

How do I know if my app has been accepted or rejected?

How do I get on the PA channel? I've got really no clue how to navigate the social networking stuff as I'm still working my way around the UI.

How in the hell do missiles and ammunition work? My civillian gatling railgun didn't seem to require any ammunition, but the standard missile launcher I purchased never seems to fire, even when I've got standard light missiles in my cargo. Help and tutorials aren't doing anything for me, either.

You'll recieve an eve-mail from the person who accepts or rejects the app.

If you havn't been accepted within a day or two, it probably means your app makes you sound like either a spy:

"Hi, I just heard about EVE today from the PA thread. My name on PA is DayOldAccountWithNoPosts, and I created this character with the most popular, min maxed build to get into the new heavy interdictors as soon as possible. I also want to do manufacturing and pos maintenance, so please give me access to those"

or someone who sent apps to a dozen corps with no specific information whatsoever, and seems to have no idea our corp is PA based:

"Hey, I'm looking for a corp to do stuff with. I'm currently training for cormorant, and should be done in a few days. Can the corp build one for me?"

So, as a reminder: Please, please atleast mention PA in your app. Better to mention your PA forum login, especially if you didn't just create it today.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Got on, pretty much got yelled at by the corp. So yeah thanks for being so inviting, its nice to know that I have so much help.
    WARNING TO PEOPLE NEW TO GAME AND NEW TO CORP:
    Everyone is a dick, I dont know why, they call it hazing but it's actually just everyone being a fucking dick. I really wanted to try this game, but the community just isnt for me. I fuck around just as much as the next guy but that was just fucking unreasonable.
    So yeah, if you love to log on and have your questions answered with absolutely no help, and love to be cut down for saying hi, join up MerchI in eve, I guess they think its a blast?

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Smashism wrote: »
    Got on, pretty much got yelled at by the corp. So yeah thanks for being so inviting, its nice to know that I have so much help.
    Everyone is a dick, I dont know why, they call it hazing but it's actually just everyone being a fucking dick. I really wanted to try this game, but the community just isnt for me. I fuck around just as much as the next guy but that was just fucking unreasonable.
    So yeah, if you love to log on and have your questions answered with absolutely no help, and love to be cut down for saying hi, join up MerchI in eve, I guess they think its a blast?

Hash VonSmashism > Hello everybody!
    Vincent Athen > hi
    Vincent Athen > also, get out spy
    Arianna Melauex > hello
    Fooms > damn what with all the new people today, get out!
    Mishi Serrano > jesus, who opened the spy gates
    James Duar > launch for corp seems to do the trick.
    Arianna Melauex > where the hell do they come from
    Fooms > and each one has a worse name
    Valhawk > I'm only kinda new
    Hash VonSmashism > :(, damn PA threads inviting people to play
    Hrin > god dammit the Merch is being diluted
    James Duar > we're recruitin
    Vincent Athen > sup james 1y+ buddy
    Arianna Melauex > who is the oldest here?
    Mishi Serrano > I can't wait until the Merch rifter blob kills something big
    Fooms > hash vonsmashhim? you win the who has the worst name of the new people award of tardness
    Endarri al'Malik > hehe
    Vincent Athen > Hrin decloaked shrike is that close enough
    Fooms > please kill yourself and roll a new char
    Hash VonSmashism > Sorry fooms, shall I create a better name just for you
    Vincent Athen > man that was ages ago
    Crovus Horlan > don't let them see the inside of a rifter, they won't want to go into the veld mines then
    Hash VonSmashism > and by that i mean whatever fuck this game and fuck you guys bye
    Mishi Serrano > fuck veld
    Endarri al'Malik > and in the veld mines is where they need to be
    Hash VonSmashism > thanks for being so inviting
    Endarri al'Malik > :D
    Fooms > your welcome, get out faster
    Vincent Athen > stop posting
    Hash VonSmashism > whats your fucking deal?
    Arianna Melauex > dont take it personal, we are all dicks here
    Fooms > poast
    Arianna Melauex > cox too
    Endarri al'Malik > if you can last another 6 months of hazing you'll be just fine :P
    Mishi Serrano > you think we're serious? LOL
    Ohmnee > aww man, who...killed my anchor in 9-3?
    Hash VonSmashism > sounds like a blast, have fun in your little game

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Bremen wrote: »

Hash VonSmashism > Hello everybody!
    Vincent Athen > hi
    Vincent Athen > also, get out spy
    Arianna Melauex > hello
    Fooms > damn what with all the new people today, get out!
    Mishi Serrano > jesus, who opened the spy gates
    James Duar > launch for corp seems to do the trick.
    Arianna Melauex > where the hell do they come from
    Fooms > and each one has a worse name
    Valhawk > I'm only kinda new
    Hash VonSmashism > :(, damn PA threads inviting people to play
    Hrin > god dammit the Merch is being diluted
    James Duar > we're recruitin
    Vincent Athen > sup james 1y+ buddy
    Arianna Melauex > who is the oldest here?
    Mishi Serrano > I can't wait until the Merch rifter blob kills something big
    Fooms > hash vonsmashhim? you win the who has the worst name of the new people award of tardness
    Endarri al'Malik > hehe
    Vincent Athen > Hrin decloaked shrike is that close enough
    Fooms > please kill yourself and roll a new char
    Hash VonSmashism > Sorry fooms, shall I create a better name just for you
    Vincent Athen > man that was ages ago
    Crovus Horlan > don't let them see the inside of a rifter, they won't want to go into the veld mines then
    Hash VonSmashism > and by that i mean whatever fuck this game and fuck you guys bye
    Mishi Serrano > fuck veld
    Endarri al'Malik > and in the veld mines is where they need to be
    Hash VonSmashism > thanks for being so inviting
    Endarri al'Malik > :D
    Fooms > your welcome, get out faster
    Vincent Athen > stop posting
    Hash VonSmashism > whats your fucking deal?
    Arianna Melauex > dont take it personal, we are all dicks here
    Fooms > poast
    Arianna Melauex > cox too
    Endarri al'Malik > if you can last another 6 months of hazing you'll be just fine :P
    Mishi Serrano > you think we're serious? LOL
    Ohmnee > aww man, who...killed my anchor in 9-3?
    Hash VonSmashism > sounds like a blast, have fun in your little game
    Yeah, exactly. As you can see, its quite a warm and inviting crowd. You guys have fun with that, I didnt come in with a bad attitude, but I sure as hell am leaving with one. Most of the people I play with on PA aren't pure fucking assholes, but you guys are definitely setting a bar there, have fun with that.

Smashism on
  • Options
    deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You got called a spy, and now have a stick up your ass about what is completely non-serious bullshitting is what I see from that chatlog.

deadtear on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So wait. You quit because they called you a spy and said your name sucks?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sorry, I usually don't take shit for no reason and no justification. I'm just trying to play a fucking game here, not trying to get into some Fraternity or some shit.

Edit: Think about it guys, seriously. Eve is a confusing, overwhelming game. New player fresh out of a tutorial, joins the game out of recommendation on a forum. Invited to a guild and the first 15 seconds are just a string of stupid "hazings". Yeah, I'm sure I'd want to stick around for another 15.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sorry, I usually don't take shit for no reason and no justification. I'm just trying to play a fucking game here, not trying to get into some Fraternity or some shit.
    See this is what we call the Wiggin test. If you can't take shit online you wouldn't make it with goons anyway and we save you time/money. If you want to play grow some balls and insult people back.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sonelan wrote: »
    See this is what we call the Wiggin test. If you can't take shit online you wouldn't make it with goons anyway and we save you time/money. If you want to play grow some balls and insult people back.

Well good thing I took the "test" then. Remember people if you love typing shit instead of actually playing games, then EVE is for you!

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yar!

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Edit: Think about it guys, seriously. Eve is a confusing, overwhelming game. New player fresh out of a tutorial, joins the game out of recommendation on a forum. Invited to a guild and the first 15 seconds are just a string of stupid "hazings". Yeah, I'm sure I'd want to stick around for another 15.

That sounds fair enough. Dono if im trying to fuck with that.

Sueve on
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, so, that EVE game...

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is apparently the Sonelon page.

Also, all new people - you need to remember that calling people a spy and telling them to "get out" is pretty much a reflex.

You god damn spies. Get out.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, internet initiations are so cool. Thanks for giving me another reason not to play guys!
    Yeah theres a difference between hazing and WTF is going on? You guys fell into the WTF is going on realm.
    I wanted to give the game a shot, but as soon as I logged I just got torn apart. Dude I dont even have a fucking grasp on whats going on and your telling me I have to put up with some stupid 14 year old hazing shit?
    Whats next you guys are gonna make me TP the house of a girl I have a crush on?

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Look people, can we please let the troll die?

I'd like for our new applicants not to be confronted with a page of bickering just because someone was offended by an admitedly coarse greeting. I only posted the log so readers could make their own decision, not to spark a flamewar.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm done saying what needs to be said. New Eve players can formulate their own opinions based on my experience. It's nice being provoked then somehow being blamed for sparking a flamewar, thanks for the experience EVE and Merch.

Smashism on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    All this newbie bitchslapping makes me want to play again
    and by that I mean reactivate my account, train for some retarded skill while playing station simulator, waiting for amarr to be useful once again.

Sanders on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sanders wrote: »
    and by that I mean reactivate my account, train for some retarded skill while playing station simulator, waiting for amarr to be useful once again.
    No no - we have Sansha rats now! Also, 52% of ops involve shot POS. Or station services.

EDIT: Also it turns out Amarr are pretty alright in fleets and have some better T2 ships.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sanders wrote: »
    No no - we have Sansha rats now! Also, 52% of ops involve shot POS. Or station services.

EDIT: Also it turns out Amarr are pretty alright in fleets and have some better T2 ships.

Sansha eh? hmm. I may still be located in Houshin or whatever... shame I gave away all my isk before I quit before (all 10 mil of it) to some newbie in the PA corp.

Hey.. that guy I gave it to, you still have it? :P

Sanders on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If you ask nice CVA may pod you so you can get to where we live.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Its a good time in Merch history. Come down to our pretty station, make some isk and then we can all go out together and get killed by the russians who don't like us.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, internet initiations are so cool. Thanks for giving me another reason not to play guys!
    Yeah theres a difference between hazing and WTF is going on? You guys fell into the WTF is going on realm.
    I wanted to give the game a shot, but as soon as I logged I just got torn apart. Dude I dont even have a fucking grasp on whats going on and your telling me I have to put up with some stupid 14 year old hazing shit?

Please note that you asked 0 questions

If you had needed help, you would have received it. However, you're too retarded to realize how things run around here.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Lemming wrote: »

Please note that you asked 0 questions

If you had needed help, you would have received it. However, you're too retarded to realize how things run around here.
    Yeah this is kinda done with, but if you want this ball rolling again your on your own.
    I told another member in a PM saying something like:
    Most people rag on their friends similarly all the time as a joke. The thing is you guys have your hazing all mixed up. First you introduce yourself, then you start hazing, not the other way around. Instead you take brand new players, start being dicks, and justify it as a test.
    This is done though.
    Oh I didn't go out and directly do name calling, like flat out calling an individual a retard. Pretty fucking rude.

Smashism on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You basically need to loosen up and not take everything so seriously. Honestly, ask yourself: do you think I actually think you're developmentally retarded? PROBABLY not (I might, not telling). Even if I did, who cares?

Also, you're dumb.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    You basically need to loosen up and not take everything so seriously. Honestly, ask yourself: do you think I actually think you're developmentally retarded? PROBABLY not (I might, not telling). Even if I did, who cares?

Also, you're dumb.

I guess this is where you want me to follow up with more name calling so you can continue your amazing tirade. Thanks for that descriptive and informative post, where once again all you managed to do was name call.

I've also cleaned up my beef through PM's with others. Theres no need to continue. You are only provoking a once closed situation, so grow the fuck up.

Smashism on
  • Options
    BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Unfortunately I missed your failed attempt at joining the corp. Sorry it didn't work out, but you really shouldn't take shit so personally.

I'm fairly new to MerchI too, it's been just over a week now. Granted, I'm not totally new to the game, but I am brand fucking new to 0.0 and I'm not a person that likes to just jump headfirst into shit. Needless to say, when I pod-jumped out to Merch space I was about as far out of my comfort zone as possible. So what was I to do? Join a cockfagging straight away, might as well go all out! That's fancy Goonswarm talk for a roaming gang. After a few hours of flying through many, many systems and ganking a few solo battlecruisers, we met a recon gang of T2 ships flown by a very skilled mercenary corp. Needless to say, I blew up in spectacular fashion (FIRST BITCHES) while trying to tackle the primary target, which happened to be a Crow flying at 18km/s - bad call, FC. Then I jumped through 23 systems in my pod, to get back to our base. Did I mention that at this point I had almost no posessions at all and almost no money left? Yeah, I probably should have tried making money instead of blowing it up... welp, that's the way it goes. But I have to say, it was pretty damn fun.

Anyways, I read my automated corp mails and joined the appropriate chat channels, one of them being a dedicated help channel. I didn't ask a ton of questions, mostly because I was cowering in the station waiting for my forum access in the hope that there was some info on how to survive in a world that's 100% player-made and driven. It's scary shit, I won't lie, especially the part about making money. So eventually I asked a few questions here and there. AND THOSE FUCKING ASSHOLES WERE SUCH.. ASSHOLES TO ME! No, not at all actually. All of my questions were answered in both help chat and general corp chat, although in corp chat there was "spy" tacked onto the end of the sentence (you bastards). So I keep asking questions every so often and I keep getting answers. I'm making a little money, enough to get by. In a while I'll have enough to upgrade back to a real ship and blow up NPC's for cash, or mine some rocks.

It's a good place to be, I'm glad I took the plunge.

TL;DR - People joke around, don't take it personally. MerchI has a ton of helpful people and they'll get you acquainted to the "real world" in Eve, which is also where the real fun happens.

Becoming on
This discussion has been closed.