As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [presidential election] is done with conventions

19596979899101»

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    omg the now cast is almost down to single digits for trump

i mean i know it's just the now cast but

He's not very popular at the moment.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    One of the Hispanic only polling outfits has Trump at 13% in Florida. That's way below the Republican baseline.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Let's hold the election today pls

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well a lot of post convention polling came out. He'll bounce back up to 30% next week and everyone will FREAK OUT CLINTON IS DOOMED!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    glimmung wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Is there a nice interactive map out there with decent cross tabs? I really kinda want to see what drives the urban rural political divide. There is no way that a city/town that hits some median population just flips blue.

There must be plenty of poly-sci papers on the subject but I don't have journal access.

Google "The Great Sortition".

That brings up a stormfront link and a redit discussion.

yea I was actually curious about it and I think Hedgie is saying that it's a self selecting thing, that liberal people move into cities and conservatives move out of them, not that the city itself makes them liberal or rural environs make people conservative.

But I'd be interested in reading an article about it :p

There are probably also factors that drive city folk to prioritize differently than country folk.

Urban areas rely more on public transportation. They have bigger issues with crime. They have higher minority populations. They have larger, more encompassing governments.

Rural areas are more isolated. The governments are smaller. You have to rely more on your neighbors and less on government programs. Public transportation is often not even really an option.

I can see how living in a city would make you more sympathetic towards liberal appreciation of government and living in the country would make you more sympathetic towards conservative notions of personal freedom.

I would be really surprised if cities actually have per capita difference in crime.

They definitely do in California, based on violent crime stats between predominantly rural and urban counties.

Not sure about nonviolent crime rates; I don't deal with those so much.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I mean, I would expect cities to have a higher crime rate simply because increased population density presents more opportunity for crime, and crime is very strongly correlated with means.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    And in counterprogramming against stupid, Clinton's rally in Colorado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsWMGz7NQCk

My dad went and said it was packed and really good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Whether the per capita crime rate is higher or lower, the same per capita crime right in a city puts crimes a lot closer than it does in the country. You could live in a small country town where there's 10,000 people in a twenty-five mile radius, or you could live in a city where there's 10,000 people living within a five minute walk. The same per capita crime rate means that instead of the crime happening at the Johnson place across the seventh concession, it's happening just above the Starbucks you pass on the way to work every morning.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    So, I work in a predominantly republican field and they all kind of know me as one of the few resident leftists, which is fine because they naturally are pretty cool with it as I'm mostly one of the few who speaks up for time paid/labor rights/concerns within our group to higher management-anywho, during a meeting today I heard a fairly silly and slightly disturbing take on this whole Trump thing. So, I live in Texas, went to college in Texas and live in Texas-so, naturally, I was raised like most Texans are. Okay, so to the point-two or so people next to me (one a decent friend who I have drinks with on occasion, he's a moderate mostly) are talking about a local store going out of business and their .308 ammo is pretty much "steal as much as you can" and I tell them, "oh cool-I'll have to get in on that." As I said before, I was kind of raised around responsible gun ownership, hunting, etc. Anywho, the super-Trump supporter felt the need to throw in, "what? Liberals can't own guns." I say, "you'd be surprised at how many left leaning folk I know who are not only pro-gun ownership but also own several guns for protection and hunting." Get this, get this-his reply is "yeah, well when Trump gets elected that'll change for you libtards."

I was actually taken aback, and didn't know what to say so I just kind of threw it out there, "in the immortal words of one of your chosen institutions-I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands." I visibly shook the guy. It was the best.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Has Trump even hinted at gun control of any flavour?

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Right well a bunch of people in my social media circle just lost it because a Fox News poll has Clinton leading by 10 points.

The general consensus is it's the first time they've seen anything positive about any Clinton on Fox News ever.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular

He really hasn't, but he sure has emboldened the right to hate us even more for purely cosmetic reasons.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I'm wondering how close Trump will get to calling for Clinton to be assassinated before all this shit is over.

How close? I'd bet hard currency he explicitly says something along the lines of "someone should just kill her".

sig.gif
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

but we only just started this one!!

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

And let me ask, where was Hillary Clinton on 9-11? I don't know, but people -great people, I only work with the best- but they are saying that she couldn't be found. Maybe that means something, I don't know, but where was she?

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    I'm wondering how close Trump will get to calling for Clinton to be assassinated before all this shit is over.

How close? I'd bet hard currency he explicitly says something along the lines of "someone should just kill her".

I'm assuming it will be more along the lines of "Well she better be careful" and "If she's coming for your guns you fine people are going to have to show her what the second amendment is really for."

Ever since that first video with the guys chanting "Kill her!" I've thought about what Trump might do if his numbers start to slip.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

And let me ask, where was Hillary Clinton on 9-11? I don't know, but people -great people, I only work with the best- but they are saying that she couldn't be found. Maybe that means something, I don't know, but where was she?

oh god, please let him be dumb enough to try that line of attack.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

Ah hmmm. On the one hand, I'm not keen on buying books from politicians during or near their run for office, just feels a bit slimy. On the other hand, my birthday is right around the release date.

Campaign books aren't the most exciting reading material. Here's Obama's from 2008.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Holy Shit maybe he does have fucking brain problems

Like this goes beyond simply not knowing shit, this goes into "Maybe he should be in a hospital undergoing treatment?"

nah, that is absolutely not knowing shit.

and also not caring that he doesn't know shit.

I mean come on he already released a solid physician's note testifying to his fitness for office

trump-doctor-2_custom-f01450ffb64dcf48651dcac21f2e500521b5ced9-s900-c85.jpg

There's nothing about this unimpeachable assessment that is open to skepticism

I love how this 70 year old wet fart is somehow the healthiest man ever, but somehow was not healthy enough to serve in Vietnam when he was considerably younger. Is he Benjamin Button or just an asshole?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Tenek wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    You have to rely more on your neighbors and less on government programs.

I'm under the impression that a lot of rural areas would be absolutely fucked without government programs. Medicaid, food stamps, farm subsidies... the military, in the case of "it gets me the hell out of here". Am I wrong? I understand the story you're telling and I guess people might believe it but is it actually true?

Is it true? Not really, no. But there's that sense of "I need a ride into town and there's no bus so I'll ask my neighbor" and whatnot that makes it feel true.

And in politics, that sort of truthiness is all that matters.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.