As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eINr4EqAkSc

France just announced.
    • Historical Agenda - ???
    • Civilization Ability - The Grand Tour gives France bonuses when building mid-era wonders. Gain extra tourism on each wonder.
    • Leader Ability - Ladies in Waiting - gain more info about other civilizations you meet. Researching Castles grants x1 more spy.
    • Unique Unit - Garde Imperiale - Combat bonus when fighting in home continent. Defeating the enemy unit grants Great General points.
    • Unique Tile Improvement - Chateau must be build next to rivers, grants culture. Grants additional other bonuses if close to wonders.

France seems catered more for cultural victory, or players can go for a broader empire by annexing neighbors and springboard to conquest victory etc. Effectiveness of spies depends on how Civ 6 implements espionage.

It's fun how the Garde Imperiale is like the opposite of the English Redcoat.

Reboot on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Odd that they obviously needed a woman leader and didn't take Joan d'Arc.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

Yeah but you couldn't really do Joan of Arc without making France warmongering religious zealots and that kind of attitude would be a HUGE departure for them.

CesareB on
    edited July 2016

Joan d'Arc, while prominent, doesn't have the kind of historical impact that a Catherine had. Not to mention that Civ usually picks those in political leadership position, not just the famous generals. Nonetheless Catherine isn't a great choice either - it feels contrived, like putting Empress Wu as leader of China in Civ V. Sure, you want to put more prominent female leaders, but there should be more historicity in it - and if the French didn't have a historical female leader of great note, then so be it - we've given over so many good English Kings for Victoria and Elizabeth, after all. Many had stated that a better choice would be Louis XIV (famously called le Roi Soleil), for example.

Reboot on
    Louis, Napoleon, and Charlemagne would be the obvious choices.

edited July 2016
    Louis, Napoleon, and Charlemagne would be the obvious choices.

Napoleon is somewhat overused by this point - a nation as long lived as the French can surely give more candidates. :)

Charlemagne is a bit of a shared heritage between the French and the Germans, so I think Firaxis might not want to tag him as one or the other - though they had done this with Kublai Khan, who's seen as leader for both the Mongols (grandson and successor of Genghis as Great Khan) and the Chinese (Founder of the Yuan Dynasty).

Another name that came up quite often is De Gaulle, if Firaxis is looking for a more modern leader.

Reboot on
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular

According to the wiki, Joan of Arc was a Great Prophet in Civ 4, so she probably will be again.

They've announced that every Great Person is going to have their own unique ability in Civ 6, so their identities will matter more than they did in Civ 5.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Joan was in Civ 3? So far I think I've seen more new faces than returning ones, which is neat.

And I don't think it's contrived, because I feel women have been very impact throughout history, they just were never as in the spotlight or remembered.

Joan was in Civ 3? So far I think I've seen more new faces than returning ones, which is neat.

And I don't think it's contrived, because I feel women have been very impact throughout history, they just were never as in the spotlight or remembered.

All for more women leaders, just Catherine strikes me as an odd choice for France in a lot of ways. Kinda like Maria for Portugal did.

According to that leaked leader list that's been going around, there's only three leaders returning from Civ 5.
    Montezuma, Ghandi, and Pedro II.

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

According to that leaked leader list that's been going around, there's only three leaders returning from Civ 5.

Got a link?

ztrEPtD.gif
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Got a link?

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Got a link?

So we have
    Trajan for Rome, instead of Caesar
    Thank god. Really tired of him.

Fucking
    Ghandi

Also wooo:
    Poland returns! Kongo and Scythia!

I mean, they have the same
    shitty Aztec leader for the sixth straight game. He wasn't even a good leader.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    He had the best greeting screen in V.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

He's more of a Civ character than an actual historical person(even though he obv was) in my mind.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

He's more of a Civ character than an actual historical person(even though he obv was) in my mind.

Same with Gandhi who never actually ruled a country. Cant have a civ game without Gandhi nuking you.

Would love to see a different ruler for India. Theres some pretty epic dynasties to pick from...

Great Person mechanic gives me a bit of vibe from the old Colonization game tbh. Brazil as always is going to be strong in culture but still bounded to special terrain tiles. Dom Pedro is a good choice.

• A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Re: Montezuma leading the Aztecs

Civ V depicted Montezuma I who, according to Wikipedia, was the guy who actually vaulted the Aztecs above all their other rivals.

Montezuma II was the guy who was emperor when the Spanish came marching in.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRSbI8NANno

Hour and a half, in case anybody's bored and/or wants to give the rest of us the highlights.

ztrEPtD.gif
    edited August 2016
    Video is pretty slow, but it's interesting.

Showcases religion, government, and great people early on. I'll be posting updates as I find interesting things.

It looks like (spoiler is a civ that I think is not in the game at launch)
    Lisbon is a city state, so no Portugal.

Terrain looks like there's more resources, both in variety and abundance. Definitely see rice has made a return. Mercury is a luxury resource. Interesting. Fish can spawn in lakes.

"Continent" does not mean landmass for those special abilities. They say approximately two civs per continent, even if it's a Pangaea map. So the game they're playing has Victoria who wants to expand to every continent (her agenda) even though they're on the same landmass. Thus she's unfriendly with them. There's a tooltip and map type to highlight the continents though.

Repairing with a builder does not use a builder charge, but does end the turn. Pillaging a district will get you yield of that that type so pillage a campus = science. There are LOTS of barbarians threatening them. This is on Prince. Walls are required for cities to fire back.

After the capital, the cities are not named in a deterministic order. There's a list and the game chooses randomly from among the next 10 or so.

Government seems super cool, but also very complicated. Much more fluid than previous games. You can flip between governments as much as you want, but if you return to a previous government your people will view going to a previous government is "going backward" and leads to anarchy.

EVERY tech and social policy has a condition that cuts their research time in half. Some of them would be hard to game like "getting declared war on" though.

Promotions 50% heal and give the perks, but end the unit's turn.

Sean Bean is doing all the tech and civic quotes, as you probably suspected from the intro video. Which is a bold choice since he always dies.

Civilization unique districts (Brazil's carnival district, for example) cost half as much as other districts.

City-states all have unique bonuses for allying with them. Like trade ships being immune from pillaging. (!)

Each unit you buy increases the costs of future units of the same type. Looks like 10%. First missionary was 50 faith, second was 55.

Sounds like gold maintenance for units changes by era.

Stone can be harvested like wood chops for significant one time production bonuses, and then you can put districts on that hex.

Initial max city size is based on terrain. Near fresh water is best, then near coast, then not near those things.

enlightenedbum on
    They played like 22 turns or so. Looks a lot like they've merged the best of Civ 5 and Civ 4 and added some new stuff. I'm intrigued by the new government stuff in particular. Didn't get to see too much of the AI or diplomacy, which is obviously a concern. And who knows if their numbers work out. Because if they do it wrong, I think there are probably ways to exploit the eureka system and the governments to just annihilate the AI.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    City sprawl was punished in Civ IV by happiness and maintenance costs. Not sure how it was punished in Civ V, but what's the mechanic preventing tons of cities in IV?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Promotions full heal and give the perks, but end the unit's turn.

Oh, that's interesting. Would end the strategy of banking promotions until you needed them immediately for a specific combat and making the 100% right choice every time.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    City sprawl was punished in Civ IV by happiness and maintenance costs. Not sure how it was punished in Civ V, but what's the mechanic preventing tons of cities in IV?

It looks like limiting the housing (max population) based on terrain, but they were still in the early game so they were just getting to building their third city. Checking out a different video (it got unembargoed today) which might reveal that.

Whoa, movement returned to old school where you can't enter a tile that requires two movement if you don't actually have two movement.

There are LOTS of barbarians threatening them.

They are playing on quick, so that's one of the reasons why the barbs are spawning so frequently.
    Dhalphir wrote: »

If a city doesn't have enough housing, it's max population will be very low.
    If it doesn't have enough amenities, all the yields it collects, including food, will be severely penalized.
    Every city you make will slightly increase the cost of techs.
    Every settler you produce will increase the cost of future settlers.

Sean Bean is doing all the tech and civic quotes, as you probably suspected from the intro video. Which is a bold choice since he always dies.

I'm so hoping that they have a blurb for Tech: Flight and Sean Bean comes in with:
    "One does not simply walk to Mordor..." :)

They are playing on quick, so that's one of the reasons why the barbs are spawning so frequently.

Barbs are supposedly more numerous now. This is to make you defend your districts apparently. So this might not be due to the game speed exclusively.

Sounds like grabbing opponent settlers in early game is going to be a profitable tactic then.

Reboot wrote: »

Barbs are supposedly more numerous now. This is to make you defend your districts apparently. So this might not be due to the game speed exclusively.

Sounds like grabbing opponent settlers in early game is going to be a profitable tactic then.

It did look like if you don't let the barbarian scouts find your city and make it back to camp they weren't a big deal, but if you did, they became a fairly significant problem. Spawning a new unit maybe every 3-5 turns on quick?

Even though they weren't supposed to, some of the internet personalities who were invited to try out an unfinished build of the game have accidentally revealed the full tech tree and civics tree. I'm linking instead of imbedding because the images are huge. Keep in mind that many icons are placeholders.

Start planning your strats now!

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    WTF this game is coming out in October?!?!? And they're showing it to us now?!?!?

Fuck these guys.

DON'T SHOW IT TO ME UNLESS I CAN BUY IT NOW YOU ASSHOLES

edited August 2016
    Even though they weren't supposed to, some of the internet personalities who were invited to try out an unfinished build of the game have accidentally revealed the full tech tree and civics tree. I'm linking instead of imbedding because the images are huge. Keep in mind that many icons are placeholders.

Start planning your strats now!

Looks like they divided the tech trees from the past versions and fleshed them out a bit. I note that there's a Future Tech but no Future Civic. The thinness of the tech/civics towards the end feels surreal. For example there should be "Environmentalism" and "Public Health" civics, and "Theory of Evolution" and "Renewable Energy" techs, etc. Civ usually has an optimistic/progressive view of the future and the omission feels uncharacteristic.

Reboot on
    WTF this game is coming out in October?!?!? And they're showing it to us now?!?!?

Fuck these guys.

As is tradition, once it releases it will be the worst Civ and a huge step back. Then it'll be a few xpacs and be okay. Then Civ 7 Will drop and Civ 6 Will be the best Civ.

Fuck these guys.

As is tradition, once it releases it will be the worst Civ and a huge step back. Then it'll be a few xpacs and be okay. Then Civ 7 Will drop and Civ 6 Will be the best Civ.

I dunno, it already looks pretty damn good. Though the balance will be the thing.

I would bet it launches without several features we feel are essential, or at least not fleshed out enough.

Also, does the art style remind any one of Civilization Revolution?

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    It looks like it has all the features from Civ 5 + expansions right from the start which is good. I watched a play through from the press event over the weekend and it looks pretty good. Looking forward to it.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    It looks like it has all the features from Civ 5 + expansions right from the start which is good. I watched a play through from the press event over the weekend and it looks pretty good. Looking forward to it.

Plus bonus new stuff. I cannot wait to get into the government stuff. Though it might end up being a micro-y thing I don't take full advantage of, preventing me from taking the leap from Emperor to Immortal. But whatever.