As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elder Scrolls: Legends] Open beta, go download!

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited August 2016 in Games and Technology
So Bethesda is working on a Hearthstone-style online CCG. I wasn't expecting anything other than an Elder Scrolls-themed cash grab, but this actually looks pretty good!

Here's a video to get you started while I work on a proper OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21QoZd_dfss

Attributes and Classes

There are five attributes in ES:L.
  • Strength: Strength seeks victory through might. You want to attack the enemy head-on, cutting them down before they can use their fancy tricks. Strength actions are ideal for smashing enemies and clearing the way for bruisers.
  • Intelligence: When you use Intelligence, you rely on trickery and magic to defeat your foes. The physical strength of Intelligence creatures is almost beside the point – you can always cast a spell, equip a weapon, or conjure an Atronach to even the odds. Intelligence actions are ideal for raining destruction on the battlefield and sculpting long-term plans.
  • Willpower: When you use Willpower, you rely on unity and force of spirit to overcome your foes. Willpower is adept at amassing large armies, erecting strong defenses, and bolstering its forces with magic. Its actions are the best at destroying enemy creatures or bending them to your will.
  • Agility: Agility creatures prefer to avoid fair fights, using poison and precision to take down larger foes or cover and movement abilities to sneak past them entirely.
  • Endurance: Endurance will overwhelm your enemy with sheer indomitability. It boasts the biggest creatures in Tamriel with everything from relentless hordes of undead to massive giants and trolls. And with strong guards, potent healing actions, and the ability to increase its Magicka, Endurance has the tools to ensure its monsters come out to play.

You combine two attributes, which form your Class for a deck, limiting you to cards for that attribute, plus neutral cards.
  • Archer (strength/agility)
  • Assassin (agility/intelligence)
  • Battlemage (strength/intelligence)
  • Crusader (willpower/strength)
  • Mage (intelligence/willpower)
  • Monk (agility/willpower)
  • Scout (endurance/agility)
  • Sorcerer (endurance/intelligence)
  • Spellsword (endurance/willpower)
  • Warrior (strength/endurance)

Lanes

ES:L has two lanes, each with its own special effect, of which there are several. Typically the left lane does nothing special, while the right lane gets Cover, meaning creatures played there are hidden for the first turn.

Once a creature is played in a lane, it's stuck there unless you have some cards or other effects that move it. There's also a keyword, Pilfer, that makes a creature switch lane if it deals damage to the opponent.

Some other lane types I've seen in videos:
  • Barracks: draw a card if you play a 4+ power creature
  • Arena: the first creature that attacks that turn gets to attack twice

Keywords

Of course, there's a bunch of keywords for cards.
  • Lethal - a lethal creature instantly kills what it attacks
  • Shackle - a shackled creature can't attack for one turn
  • Ward - a ward absorbs one attack (like Divine Shield in Hearthstone)
  • Prophecy - free to cast if you draw them when a rune breaks
  • Guard - a creature with Guard must be attacked first, blocking the path in that lane.
  • Pilfer - triggers its effect when you deal damage to the opponent

Prophecy

Prophecy is a bit special. You and your opponent each have five runes. For every five damage you take, a rune breaks. When a rune breaks, you get to draw a card. If that card is a Prophecy card, you get to play it for free.

Echo on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Yes, there's an Arrow to the Knee card.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    wkzaxsxdfoiv.jpg

Welp, that took like three days. Sign up here.

Echo on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Got into the beta, finished the great campaign in one day and had fun. But now that I log on it looks like there's no way to sustain playing without doing pvp - practice match don't award gold and do not count for the quests. I guess that's that for a carebear like me.

• Options
    Turns out it's open beta now, so just go download!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Really enjoying it. Its also nice to see them explore abit of the great war era from between Oblivion and Skyrim with the campaign.

Seems abit weird though that the armor design for the Aldmeri Dominion seems to be directly taken from ESO's 2000 year old era rather than the newer ones in Skyrim.

Not a big deal, just kind of went "eh?" abit at that.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I stayed up way too late last night playing through the campaign. I really hope Nick and Griffin play through it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I'm going to wait a few months and see if competitive play is balanced and what their attitude on balance is. Because Hearthstone is Marvel vs Capcom the Card Game and Blizzard gives no fucks.

EDIT - I installed it almost in immediate responce to the latest Blizzard reveals.

Aethetically, its definitely louder than HS. I'm amused by trades in which two cards crash into each other and shatter, but I'm concerned about mobile play and whether or not it happens. I stopped as soon as I unlocked deck-building. Wow, 50 to 70 card decks: which means 50 cards.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GrebnuGrebnu Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Got into the beta, finished the great campaign in one day and had fun. But now that I log on it looks like there's no way to sustain playing without doing pvp - practice match don't award gold and do not count for the quests. I guess that's that for a carebear like me.

Isn't there some kind of solo arena stuff too? I think I read that somewhere (MMORPG.com most likely).

ESL has gathered some good mentions, people seem to like that it is more complex than Hearthstone (but this is with everything Blizzard does, game dev equivalent of summer blockbuster movie makers).

I think that I might even pick this up, tried Hearthstone but disliked it. Don't like the Warcraft universe at all. ES lore on the other hand... And frankly the gameplay looks more fun in this one.

• Options
    Grebnu wrote: »

Isn't there some kind of solo arena stuff too? I think I read that somewhere (MMORPG.com most likely).

ESL has gathered some good mentions, people seem to like that it is more complex than Hearthstone (but this is with everything Blizzard does, game dev equivalent of summer blockbuster movie makers).

I think that I might even pick this up, tried Hearthstone but disliked it. Don't like the Warcraft universe at all. ES lore on the other hand... And frankly the gameplay looks more fun in this one.

This is in Beta, I'm in no hurry.

Mobile play will make or break my interest though. I primarily play HS on my phone, but its balance is hot garbage.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    @Echo Dire Wolf Digital is the company actually making the game. I've been playing it for a few monthes and enjoying it a lot.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm going to wait a few months and see if competitive play is balanced and what their attitude on balance is. Because Hearthstone is Marvel vs Capcom the Card Game and Blizzard gives no fucks.

EDIT - I installed it almost in immediate responce to the latest Blizzard reveals.

Aethetically, its definitely louder than HS. I'm amused by trades in which two cards crash into each other and shatter, but I'm concerned about mobile play and whether or not it happens. I stopped as soon as I unlocked deck-building. Wow, 50 to 70 card decks: which means 50 cards.

...That you never go over the minimum deck size has been known for decades at this point (with rare exceptions like Battle of Wits).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Grebnu wrote: »

Yes and the solo arena is fun but it costs 150g to enter and there's no way to get that 150g except RL money or pvp. I enjoyed the campaign and the one free solo arena you get but that's it since I don't enjoy pvp even in card games. I do recommend trying this out though, had fun with it for the few hours I spent with it.

• Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    You can get over 150 gold by completing the story the first time.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    Is there netdecking yet?

I need to netdeck the shit out of the last boss.

• Options
    Is there netdecking yet?

Last boss of the campaign? I lost once, then won easily with one of the crappy pre-made decks you get.

And yeah, you get over 150g for finishing the story but I wasted 100g of that on a booster so that's that. Even if I hadn't there's not much difference in having one or two arena tickets in the long run, it's still not sustainable by pve. Which makes me a bit sad since I liked the mechanics but it is a lot easier to just make people play against each other than spend a lot of development time to craft more pve content so that's what card games tend to do.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Is there netdecking yet?

I lost a few times before I won with the aggressive Imperial Soldiers deck -- if you get a good curve and keep his meaner tricks a little bit in mind, you can stomp him down before things get too silly.

Really digging this game, personally! Feels like a satisfying midpoint between Hearthstone and Magic DotP.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Is there netdecking yet?

I lost a few times before I won with the aggressive Imperial Soldiers deck -- if you get a good curve and keep his meaner tricks a little bit in mind, you can stomp him down before things get too silly.

Really digging this game, personally! Feels like a satisfying midpoint between Hearthstone and Magic DotP.

I got him!

What basic unlocks am I missing? I never got that Spider deck or Elf Waifu Assassin deck from the campaign. Those were pretty cool.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Heyyy, I did some very heavy QA on the pre-alpha, I'm glad to see it's going somewhere!

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    These comments have me worried:
    http://www.idigitaltimes.com/elder-scrolls-legends-android-release-date-card-game-brings-addicting-gameplay-pc-and-450369

I believe a smartphone edition is doable, they just have to tone the effects down.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I'm really enjoying this game, but I am running into a consistent problem in that around the 6th or 7th turn of almost every game, my hand is empty and I'm playing the one card that is dealt to me. I do great up to that point, but when all strategic options are removed, it just comes down to pure luck - do I get the one or two cards that can help me, or do I play a card that is perfect setup for the cards I don't have in my hand...

I had a game I just finished where I had the opponent down to 4 hitpoints at the end of turn 6 and then lost three turns later. Because I literally had no cards left to play. (My deck still had plenty! It's just the "draw one" rule is killing me.)

26904.png
  • Options
    MummBrahMummBrah Registered User regular
    this game is a total blast to play, especially as a (seemingly) more strategic alternative to hearthstone

i just lost to a monogreen deck that kept flipping dudes between lanes, i ain't even mad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this game, but I am running into a consistent problem in that around the 6th or 7th turn of almost every game, my hand is empty and I'm playing the one card that is dealt to me. I do great up to that point, but when all strategic options are removed, it just comes down to pure luck - do I get the one or two cards that can help me, or do I play a card that is perfect setup for the cards I don't have in my hand...

I had a game I just finished where I had the opponent down to 4 hitpoints at the end of turn 6 and then lost three turns later. Because I literally had no cards left to play. (My deck still had plenty! It's just the "draw one" rule is killing me.)
    I only just started playing this game tonight, but this means you need to add more high cost minions in your deck or more card draw. Card draw seems pretty expensive in this game, so the former is probably a better idea.
    MummBrah wrote: »
    this game is a total blast to play, especially as a (seemingly) more strategic alternative to hearthstone

i just lost to a monogreen deck that kept flipping dudes between lanes, i ain't even mad
    As a Hearthstone player I also had fun playing some story missions and losing a few PvP games because of course my deck was terrible, but the prophecy mechanic seems really dumb to me. That's as swingy as the swingiest Hearthstone RNG, and it's in every game.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    this game may or may not be a hearthstone ripoff mechanically, but holy heck the UI looks like what you'd come up with if you tried to copy Hearthstone's UI from somebody else's secondhand description of it

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    this game may or may not be a hearthstone ripoff mechanically, but holy heck the UI looks like what you'd come up with if you tried to copy Hearthstone's UI from somebody else's secondhand description of it

This leans harder towards MtG than Hearthstone. There are larger decks and the Attributes are pretty much the MtG color wheel.

• Options
    I am so glad to see that like... I don't think it was my advice alone, I think a LOT of other people who QA'd / played the pre-alpha said this, but like... okay

The pre-alpha was basically just a re-skinned Hearthstone clone, and my very, very, VERY lengthy comments on it basically amounted to, "Make it more Elder Scrolls, do something interesting with the colors beyond 'idk kinda magic-y?'"

And it really really looks like they listened there. The game still owes a lot mechanically to Hearthstone, but things like Runes and Prophecy add a lot more strategy. The way that colors are "attributes" and you basically build "classes" with them is cool and feels, well, like The Elder Scrolls.

Not related to that, but I'm finding that I... actually LIKE the story mode? Usually when I'm playing story mode in games like this I'm just like "ugh okay hurry up so I can get my loot & cash so I can get to ranked play" but instead I'm finding that I actually care about these characters and what happens next in the story. I've actually taken some cards that I'm like "well this card is better for my deck BUT NO MY FLUFFY KHAJIIT WOULDN'T LET HER FRIEND DIE!!!"

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Fuck that lethal dagger! You get a really strong guy set up with Imperial Armor and a Battle Axe, and then some Nord Scrub charges at you with a dagger and you're donezo!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    I am so glad to see that like... I don't think it was my advice alone, I think a LOT of other people who QA'd / played the pre-alpha said this, but like... okay

The pre-alpha was basically just a re-skinned Hearthstone clone, and my very, very, VERY lengthy comments on it basically amounted to, "Make it more Elder Scrolls, do something interesting with the colors beyond 'idk kinda magic-y?'"

And it really really looks like they listened there. The game still owes a lot mechanically to Hearthstone, but things like Runes and Prophecy add a lot more strategy. The way that colors are "attributes" and you basically build "classes" with them is cool and feels, well, like The Elder Scrolls.

Not related to that, but I'm finding that I... actually LIKE the story mode? Usually when I'm playing story mode in games like this I'm just like "ugh okay hurry up so I can get my loot & cash so I can get to ranked play" but instead I'm finding that I actually care about these characters and what happens next in the story. I've actually taken some cards that I'm like "well this card is better for my deck BUT NO MY FLUFFY KHAJIIT WOULDN'T LET HER FRIEND DIE!!!"

Well I hope it's everything they dreamed of because Bethesda is only announcing tablet versions of the game because you can't squeeze all that grimdark flare on a phone!

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Well, I really disliked the early gameplay loop of Hearthstone. I wanted to like ti, but when people say "you really need to play all the classes up to level 10 to get all the unlocks before you decide what class you want to play." My response is an easy "No." I don't want to have to -work- at a game. I don't want a game that requires me to sink dozens of hours 'getting ready to play'.

I played the story mode here in about 4 hours and actually found it kind of fun. And once it was done, I jumped right in to Versus mode and cruised up to rank 9 where I'm currently stuck. (Mostly due to me being a lousy player.)

I REALLY like the Elder Scrolls "feel" of the game. (I never played WoW, so the 'theme' of Hearthstone was mostly annoying to me.)

26904.png
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    If you like Hearthstone, or you were turned off by HS' non-serious vibe, you should download and play through the story mode at least.

This is the only digital CCG that has presentation matching Hearthstone's, and the gameplay is really very similar but with some cool tweaks. I.E. its the only potential competition market-wise so far. Grind rewards are a bit more generous than HS but nothing earth shattering.

You can get a good amount of money/cards early on with a few solo arena runs if you can figure out how to draft.

HS also did not release on phone, they spent nearly a year creating a UI that actually worked on the format. The same needs to be done here if its ever getting to phones, shrinking down the current UI is not going to be readable even on phablets.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Well, AI could use some work. It sacrified a 9/8 to kill my 1/1 with Lethal when it had a 3/2 with Guard next to it, and then went for my face with the 3/2 instead.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    So, as someone who never played Hearthstone, I am at a loss of how to build a deck or draft. Also, I want more Khajiit.

*edit* Meaning, how to build a good deck, not "where's the deck editor," I know where THAT is. I'm talking about figuring out what card synergies are good, how to balance card cost, that sort of deal.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So, as someone who never played Hearthstone, I am at a loss of how to build a deck or draft. Also, I want more Khajiit.

*edit* Meaning, how to build a good deck, not "where's the deck editor," I know where THAT is. I'm talking about figuring out what card synergies are good, how to balance card cost, that sort of deal.

First off, don't ever have more than than the minimum deck size, because while running out of cards is a condition for losing, your deck needs tight focus or you won't live long enough to reach that point. This rule is as old as MtG itself.

This game's five Attributes are equivalent to the MtG Color Wheel. One deck can have up to two, and there is nothing stopping you from only using one color as a beginner. Don't be afraid to netdeck (copy decks on the internets.) Only assholes say its the devil, because it helps people play better and make better decks. This is the first netdecking site for this game I've seen. You can filter out decks based on attributes.

Bethesda themselves have spelled out the most classic card game archetypes that you can (and should) imitate. Random shit in a deck doesn't win games. You can't think "how do I win?" Instead you have to think "how do I want to win? What method of winning is most fun for me?"

If you just want to pound your opponent's life to zero in a short amount of time, you want to make an Aggro deck (HS players also call this a Face deck). If you want to speed up your Magicka growth rate so you can plant down apocalyptic fat creatures, that's a Ramp deck. If you want to exhaust your opponent by freezing, killing, and stealing their cards, that's a Control deck. A Midrange deck is balanced, wearing down your opponent in a tug-of-war of having more stuff on the board. If the game is designed right, there should be no right answer, because in Hearthstone, Face is the Place. Most beginners like Aggro and Midrange decks.

I wouldn't worry about Tribes as a beginner. Tribes are cards that have a theme. Dragon cards, elf cards, Kajits, Nords, whatever. But consider using only those cards in a test deck. Don't they work well together? If so, you could consider making a deck themed around them. The Campaign does this a lot, pitting themed decks against you. You could use it for inspiration.

EDIT - Oh yeah, and as you play, you will find people playing stuff that makes you angry. Perhaps you don't like playing against Aggro, Control, etc. Use caution against putting too many countermeasures against it, because then you're not shaping your deck to win: you're shaping your deck to not lose.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    So tbh, a lot like M:tG, which I play a LOT (via Duels).

In M:tG, my current jam is a Thopter Tribes deck, that's mostly Aggro but with a wee bit of very obnoxious control, so I guess I'll go for something like that.

*e* Thus far in Story Mode, I've been enjoying the trick of putting Lethal on Guard creatures via creature abilities or weapons. It is very fun to watch the AI kill themselves against those. Probably not a viable strat against actual humans tho.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Ugh. I can't believe that in 2016 I still have to race to get my username because apparently no one besides Blizzard has figured out that you can just hide some extra numbers on the end to prevent duplicates, while still giving everyone the name they want.

(I lost the race.)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    is there any place that has detailed mechanics for this game yet? i can't find anything on max hand size and whether or not the game has insta-kill fatigue (i assuming it does)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Max hand size is 10, don't know about fatigue.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    I don't think fatigue exists.

If anybody wants 2 fite me / be friends, my username here is TealDeer.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    ok i guess i should try to experiment with the AI to see what happens

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    P10 wrote: »
    is there any place that has detailed mechanics for this game yet? i can't find anything on max hand size and whether or not the game has insta-kill fatigue (i assuming it does)

50-70 card decks

Magicka (mana) automatically increases by 1 each turn, stopping at 12. There are no mana cards but the Endurance Attribute cards (purple) promote growth.

5 Attribtues equivalent to the MtG Color Wheel. A deck can have up to two attributes plus neutral cards.

Changing battlefields. Sometimes a battlefield may be split in two hemispheres, called lanes. Sometimes a lane will give creatures one turn of stealth when played upon it, sometimes they'll have "wind" in which they bounce between lanes.

Max 10 hand size

30 HP. When your health hits 25, 20, 15, 10, and 5 thresholds ones, you draw a card, symbolized by permanently losing a rune. If you draw a card with the Prophecy status during any of these times, you have the option to play it immediately for free. This is swinging as hell. But if your hand is fat, taking a pounding could mill you a bit.

Cantido on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    So, I've played through a good chunk of the story battles (I think i'm on 15 or 16?). I like that it (at least seems to) be a nice blend of being more flexible than Hearthstone (choose any 2 combinations+neutral, and not just a class+neutral, more cards in a deck), but still adds its own wrinkles like the lanes.

I guess it just slows down games too much to have Magic's block declaration type mechanics, but I guess I have Hex for when I want to scratch that itch.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett