As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Should I be concerned if I haven't received a shipping email yet?

xg81x9uysw01.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    If you haven't gotten your passes within 2 weeks of the show, start to worry. Until then, relax.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2016
    No. I would not worry about anything regarding badges until maybe 10 days before the convention. Once at that point, if you are expecting badges and didn't receive any, shoot pax_questions@paxsite.com an email.

zerzhul on
  • EmilieEmilie =^.^= Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I has a question!

You know those PAX "Welcome home" posters plastered around the convention center? They are awesome and make me so happy when I see them. I would love to somehow acquire one to hang up in my own home because feels. Can anyone help make this happen?

edited July 2016
    I am certain you are one of many people who would love that (including me!). I don't know of any way for anyone from the general attending public to get one. Make friends with a PA Staff member?

zerzhul on
  • EmilieEmilie =^.^= Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I've taken to twitter and emailed the appropriate department in the city government office. Will let you know what comes of it.

If anyone here has any "ins" or ideas, please let me know! =D

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I've seen multiple people ask Khoo directly about those to no avail, so good luck with that.

• SreslaSresla Registered User regular
    This is probably the wrong thread but I couldn't find another recent topic about it. I received the sign-up for Omegathon on Wednesday but was out of town. I went to click on the link this evening and it says the form is already closed. Is this typical? I could have sworn last year they gave about a week to fill it out, if you were interested. Three days seems like a very small window, especially during SDCC weekend.

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Sresla wrote: »
    This is probably the wrong thread but I couldn't find another recent topic about it. I received the sign-up for Omegathon on Wednesday but was out of town. I went to click on the link this evening and it says the form is already closed. Is this typical? I could have sworn last year they gave about a week to fill it out, if you were interested. Three days seems like a very small window, especially during SDCC weekend.

Yes, it was very fast this time. I'm not sure about the history 100%, but I thought it was always that small of a window.

I didn't get a spot--maybe next year 6th time's the charm!

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • SpicyMeatsSpicyMeats Victoria BCRegistered User regular
    Sresla wrote: »

i filled it out Wednesday when i got it and got the call Thursday at 1pm PST, i thought it was a prank from a friend because of the crazy fast turn around

qEGfoNG.png

• solomon123solomon123 Registered User regular
    Will swag bags be at the Westin again this year? Or is it too early to know?

xg81x9uysw01.png
    solomon123 wrote: »
    Will swag bags be at the Westin again this year? Or is it too early to know?
    There's no public information about that yet. It's either too early, or someone more in the know than me will comment.

• oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I'm a PAX newbie. I'm also a dad trying to surprise my 11 YO son w/ a gaming trip. We're both games, old school/new school, console/handheld, it's fun, we're in.

We can't get there till Friday early evening at the earliest. I'm trying to figure out if I go w/ the 3 day or 4 day passes. I know it's sold out, I'm venturing out on the 'open' market and will pay market value. I know that Sat is busy/crowded and prob Sunday. But, as newbies, can we get our fill on those 2 days? What advantage would we have on Monday? As much as we love games, 4 days in a row can get tiring.

I suppose we can venture into the city and surrounding area for our mental break if we go till Monday, that'll break up the crowded feeling for sure.

oldskoolboarder on
  • CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jsust so you know, each day to pax west is an individual pass. People purporting to sell four or three day passes may be trying to rip you off. If you choose to buy outside the convention center, ask an enforcer to verify the passes before you hand over money. They're cool dudes and dudettes in blue shirts that say enforcer :)

As for what days to go, if it is your first time I am sure no matter what you'll have an awesome time. There is a lot to do, and even for veterans the 4 days can be tiring, as well as the city having a lot of stuff. Pike Place is always worth it as is the sci fi museum at the space needle.

Monday is defs more low key, but i think its because everyone is sleepy. Sat is the busiest followed by sunday and friday at equal measure.

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Prepare to get pre-excited.
    The Guidebook page now exists. It has no content, but they purged Prime 2015 and everything says West 2016 and is ready for new content.

Jsust so you know, each day to pax west is an individual pass. People purporting to sell four or three day passes may be trying to rip you off. If you choose to buy outside the convention center, ask an enforcer to verify the passes before you hand over money. They're cool dudes and dudettes in blue shirts that say enforcer :)

As for what days to go, if it is your first time I am sure no matter what you'll have an awesome time. There is a lot to do, and even for veterans the 4 days can be tiring, as well as the city having a lot of stuff. Pike Place is always worth it as is the sci fi museum at the space needle.

Monday is defs more low key, but i think its because everyone is sleepy. Sat is the busiest followed by sunday and friday at equal measure.

Cool. Seems like we can't make it till Friday evening and the idea of a mellow Monday seems more appealing after having to deal w/ crowds. I don't mind breaking up the days w/ some adventures outside just to break up the gaming aspect.

Where's the best place to hear about the community/vendor events? I want to make sure to monitor those so we can get involved in stuff outside the exhibit halls.

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Just keep an eye on the party thread

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206295/pax-west-party-line-2016#latest

and if you're interested in specific vendor(s) events/parties, i.e. Harmonix, Bethesda, for example you should follow them on Twitter, and there are Facebook party groups as well.

Oh, and not all of the events are 21+. AND download the Guidebook too https://guidebook.com/guide/74805/ Its not completed yet though.

ClannMorgan on

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206295/pax-west-party-line-2016#latest

and if you're interested in specific vendor(s) events/parties, i.e. Harmonix, Bethesda, for example you should follow them on Twitter, and there are Facebook party groups as well.

Oh, and not all of the events are 21+. AND download the Guidebook too https://guidebook.com/guide/74805/ Its not completed yet though.

Thanks. Yeah, noted on 21+, saw at least one (so far) that's family friendly.

Already downloaded the guidebook so I could see what happened at PAX East to get a flavor.

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular

I cannot download this on my phone yet :(

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • springer070springer070 Registered User new member
    edited August 2016
    Edit: Disregard this! Didn't know the rules.

zerzhul on
    Badge sales/trades/whathaveyou are not allowed on the forums.

• springer070springer070 Registered User new member
    whypick1 wrote: »

Oh okay, I wasn't aware. Do you know where I can do trades? Reddit?

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »

Oh okay, I wasn't aware. Do you know where I can do trades? Reddit?

Reddit PAXPassExchange is the place to be i believe.

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • FakeGamerGuyFakeGamerGuy Registered User new member
    I'm considering bringing my PC to the BYOC this year. Before I buy my pass I was wondering what the logistics are for getting a PC, monitor, and peripherals into the LAN. Is there load/unload parking I can use while hauling the equipment upstairs?

I'm considering bringing my PC to the BYOC this year. Before I buy my pass I was wondering what the logistics are for getting a PC, monitor, and peripherals into the LAN. Is there load/unload parking I can use while hauling the equipment upstairs?

Paging @Dreggor

• BofurBofur WARegistered User regular
    I ordered my tickets via pick up for will call this year, and I won't be able to make it on Thursday to pick them up, so I'll have to be there early on Friday. Does anyone have any experience picking up badges from there recently? Is it absolutely bat shit crazy busy? I'm guessing not, but I just want to be prepped.

I attend anime conventions where will call is the ONLY available means for badge pick up and it takes a very long time to get through the lines. I know that it probably won't be nearly as busy, but still thought I'd ask!

BAzaEgY.png
    Bofur wrote: »
    I ordered my tickets via pick up for will call this year, and I won't be able to make it on Thursday to pick them up, so I'll have to be there early on Friday. Does anyone have any experience picking up badges from there recently? Is it absolutely bat shit crazy busy? I'm guessing not, but I just want to be prepped.

I attend anime conventions where will call is the ONLY available means for badge pick up and it takes a very long time to get through the lines. I know that it probably won't be nearly as busy, but still thought I'd ask!
    it *can* be busy friday morning, for sure. Best bet is to just show up as early as you can.

• tkywatkywa Registered User regular
    I did Will Call at East this year and they were open a couple of hours before the convention opened officially. They will probably do the same at West, you'll be able to check the hours beforehand. I was able to walk right up on Friday morning and get my badges without any trouble. I would recommend going as early as possible so you don't have to worry about the crowds.

• TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    As will call is not the major badge pick up, I would not worry too much, I have done it the past two years, and walked right up both times. Once on Thursday and once on Friday

• zenprimezenprime That Cat that ain't a Cat T-Town, WARegistered User regular
    I had to do will call Friday last year (tickets didn't ship for some reason), showed up about 30 mins before will call opened and while there was already a line, got through it pretty quickly once they opened.

PAXing till I Plotz
    xSBUZyE.png
    PAX Weast 2017 Status: Badges [X] Room [X] Fried Rice [X]
  • TheRogueTwinkieTheRogueTwinkie Registered User new member
    When it says that we cannot use a skateboard or anything of the sort does that mean we can't even bring it into the venue? I had planned on using my skateboard to get around the town since I'm flying there but if I'd have to ditch my skateboard once I arrived to the actual convention center I'd be better off leaving the board at home.

YoungFrey wrote: »
    The Guidebook page now exists. It has no content, but they purged Prime 2015 and everything says West 2016 and is ready for new content.

The guidebook page is now password protected instead of being a placeholder.

• DapperPumpkinDapperPumpkin Registered User regular

Seems pretty secure, the password isn't "west2016". I'm out of ideas.

Seems pretty secure, the password isn't "west2016". I'm out of ideas.

Also not the password: thanksrobert and goodbyekhoo

• celycely Registered User regular

There's a 3 minute loading zone right in front of the Conference Center (formerly known as The Annex) where BYOC is held. It'd be best if you have a friend that can watch your stuff on the sidewalk while you unload and park your car because there's no way you'll be able to unload and get through BYOC check-in within 3 minutes.

Here's a google street view of the loading zone:
    https://goo.gl/maps/LLZHye9JL8z

WotC will likely have a monster near it like they did last year:
    http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/magic-pax-west-2016-07-25

It's best to park in the Hertz Garage across the street (8th and Pike). Some people stuff their gear into a large suitcase or use a utility cart like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017TF09Y/ or this: https://www.amazon.com/Magna-Personal-Capacity-Aluminum-Folding/dp/B000HVVSDU/

Also be aware that on Friday Sept 2nd, the Hertz Garage will fill up fast with commuters and PAX people, so you need to get there pretty early in the morning (7am-7:30am) to get a spot.

rqUHgCM.png
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Is there any information about a "Watch The Skies" mega-game happening again this year? That was one of the highlites of last PAX and I am hoping they'll be back!

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
    Their site doesn't list PAX as an upcoming event, but you could ask @H.E. Ladypants, who made last year's thread.

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Pax Guidebook is now live!!!

It is it's own app now, rather than a book you add to the Guidebook app.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Just saw the schedule on guidebook no concerts this year?

• Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Like at East, does the Main Theatre clear between the Friday events? (Storytime, Q&A and Roosterteeth).

Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019