As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW Theorycraft] Theorycrafting, Simming, and dummy testing, oh my!

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    I don't have experience with the mechanic but Mythic+ dungeons do have an affix that "greatly reduces the amount of threat the tank generates". If that actually does mean something and you have a strong AoE DPS who is using some cooldowns then I could see a use for Blessing of Salvation. Very niche, but that is... or at least was... what that tier was for.

Hah, wait, so Salvation was deleted and Retribution Aura stayed? Sheesh.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't have experience with the mechanic but Mythic+ dungeons do have an affix that "greatly reduces the amount of threat the tank generates". If that actually does mean something and you have a strong AoE DPS who is using some cooldowns then I could see a use for Blessing of Salvation. Very niche, but that is... or at least was... what that tier was for.

Hah, wait, so Salvation was deleted and Retribution Aura stayed? Sheesh.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that situation. I'd still rather use BoP in that scenario, I think.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    By the way, Ask Mr Robot's Legion simulator is continually being revised and updated leading up to Legion. If your spec is on it, it's much more user-friendly than Simcraft.

http://blog.askmrrobot.com/2016/06/new-legion-simulator/

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    There's also a new-sh website in beta right now that basically runs Simcraft and lists the result publicly for people, so you don't need to download it.

I haven't used it personally, but I've seen a lot of people in the priest discord mention it.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I wish ret aura would make a comeback in a form of thorns threat

that'd be great

do it blizzard

give me BC paladin tanking (apart from the seals juggling)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Ew, no thanks. The only nice thing about paladin tanking in TBC was that you could do something others could not, ie, AOE tank. Without that uniqueness, it's just a dull rotation with basically no buttons.

I'm not a fan of the Legion rotation but it's a damn sight better than TBC.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    yeah I just want ret aura back so I can aoe tank a lot better :(

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

What struggles are you having with it though?

• Options
    What two talents are other new demon hunter mains selecting in the prepatch next week when you make your DH?

I'm going for Agonizing Flames and Fallout on my Vengeance spec, but I have no idea what to do for Havoc.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    What two talents are other new demon hunter mains selecting in the prepatch next week when you make your DH?

I'm going for Agonizing Flames and Fallout on my Vengeance spec, but I have no idea what to do for Havoc.

I keep waffling between Razor Spikes and Agonizing Flames. It's tough to say without knowing what will be immune to the snare.

As for Havoc, definitely Fel Rush/Prepared.

• Options
    keep in mind that not all of our damage is physical, and benefiting from Demon Spikes. Fracture, Soul Cleave, and Shear only, I believe.

• Options
    KeemossiKeemossi Registered User regular
    Depending on how the dps ends up looking at those item levels. If it's decent, Agonizing Flames/Feast of Souls, otherwise Abyssal Strike/Feast of Souls. I really liked Agonizing Flames with vengeance doing rather nice dps in dungeons, but if it's going to be low I'll just take more and longer jumps for utility and fun.

Havoc, Fel Mastery and Prepared for me as well. I'm fairly sure Demon Blades won't be the best for dps at that point (has it been nerfed already?), and there's no Fel Barrage to go with it anyway. I don't know if I'll have any reason to play Havoc, though.

• Options
    Do you find the extra Heal over time on soul cleave from feast of souls to be worth it over the extra soul fragments from Fallout?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Yeah, at least without the later talents and artifact weapon. Feast of Souls's healing is pretty good, and especially against single target I think it's just better than Fallout.

On a MMOC threat I read Fallout's proc chance could be around ~60%, which feels about right.

Keemossi on
  • Options
    Huh, I should try it again. You're right though, actually, without artifact traits or soul barrier, there isn't anything to benefit from the extra souls except soul cleave and at that point it becomes a question of which is straight up more healing, which I bet makes feast of souls the winner.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

What struggles are you having with it though?

not being able to afk and watch netflix on my other monitor with autowalk turned on

• Options
    Apparently Demon Hunters got a new build with some talent tweaks for Vengeance, but I can't find them written up anywhere.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Fel Eruption was removed, replaced by something that increases range of runes.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote: »
    Fel Eruption was removed, replaced by something that increases range of runes.

Not removed, just moved. It replaced Gluttony in the 102 tier.

Also, that rune modifying talent was always there. In Fel Eruption's place they put Sigil of Chains, taking it away as a baseline ability.

• Options
    Although fel eruption may as well have been removed, because nobody is going to pick it when it's competing with felblade.

• Options
    Yeah it's super shitty having to choose between the two, and also wasn't even a contest.

• Options
    Well, Fel Eruption was the default choice in its own tier originally, there was no reason to take either of the rune modifying talents, so that does mean a difference.

But now it basically may as well have been removed, because nobody is picking it. Felbalde is too good.

• Options
    Imo the correct answer is to make felblade baseline for both specs.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

Yep, not going to happen though. They addressed it in the second Q&A. They don't see a problem with players who want more rotational complexity being forced into a single talent.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Yep, not going to happen though. They addressed it in the second Q&A. They don't see a problem with players who want more rotational complexity being forced into a single talent.

ಠ_ಠ

• Options
    And yet the best talent for Havoc is the one that literally removes your resource gainer.

• Options
    And yet the best talent for Havoc is the one that literally removes your resource gainer.

You talking about Demon Blades? Because that one should actually be the worst

• Options

You talking about Demon Blades? Because that one should actually be the worst

It is not. Unless something has drastically changed between last night and now, it is the best choice for the DPS spec. More resource generation, extra damage in terms of shadow damage etc.

• Options
    Blizzard addressed demon Blades specifically in the first Q&A, said they would always tune demon blades to be the worst in the tier, so if it isn't, I'm sure they will hot fix it to be.

Are you sure it is the best, though? Has it simmed that way already?

• Options
    I'm going off of the information from my GM, who had every intention of maining a Havoc DH. But he's heavily reconsidering it if Demon Blades is the best choice, and he seems the type that would look closely at that kind of testing.

• Options
    Well Blizzard not only said they were keeping an eye on balance, but mentioned that talent specifically by name. It seems like a very easy talent to balance and nerf if required.

• Options
    They should probably just remove it entirely. Not sure why they thought something like that was a good idea.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Because not everyone enjoys GCD locked playstyle.

Though personally I'd just done what they do with Shaman and given DHs a Boulderfist equivalent.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    They should probably just remove it entirely. Not sure why they thought something like that was a good idea.

It's a choice there to be made for those who don't want their rotation to have a GCD filler ability. If I could remove the need to spam Shear from Vengeance then I would.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    Though personally I'd just done what they do with Shaman and given DHs a Boulderfist equivalent.
    Please no. I really dislike boulderfist. It feels so pointless and is just busywork.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    It feels annoying that the choice for Havoc has to be between not pressing any buttons and spamming a placeholder button. Why not an interesting rotation with procs, baseline? Though I'm missing Tiger Palm spam even with brewmaster being gcd capped even now.. :P

I actually rather liked Quickened Sigils for dungeons even with Fel Eruption on the tier. It's a weak talent, yeah, but QoL. The silence sigil is sort of reliable interrupt with 1s delay which is neat.

Did the Sigil of Chains have it's radius increased when it got turned to talent?

Keemossi on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    reVerse wrote:
    Please no. I really dislike boulderfist. It feels so pointless and is just busywork.

The entire point of the talents now is to allow choice for this reason.

It is kind of silly to ask them to not have an option for others just because you don't like it.

The best part of Enh shaman is they mostly nailed this, and they actually ARE choices.

• Options
    Carpy wrote: »
    reVerse wrote:

So don't talent it.

It's not pointless. It's designed to turn Enhancement from a GCD locked spec into one that is not. It does that perfectly.

• Options
    I'd be fine with the vengeance changes if it didn't feel so much like an indirect nerf. Fel eruption is good, but still not a reason to talent out of felblade. So now it's effectively gone, and the spot where it was is now way worse.

• Options
    I'd be fine with the vengeance changes if it didn't feel so much like an indirect nerf. Fel eruption is good, but still not a reason to talent out of felblade. So now it's effectively gone, and the spot where it was is now way worse.

I hope they tune our single target up a bit to compensate.

This discussion has been closed.