As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    WTF this game is coming out in October?!?!? And they're showing it to us now?!?!?

Fuck these guys.

DON'T SHOW IT TO ME UNLESS I CAN BUY IT NOW YOU ASSHOLES

As is tradition, once it releases it will be the worst Civ and a huge step back. Then it'll be a few xpacs and be okay. Then Civ 7 Will drop and Civ 6 Will be the best Civ.

I just want civ6 to come out today so civ5 can finally be the best Civ and I can truly appreciate it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Okay the end of that civics tree does not gel in terms of significance with the rest of it.

You all know which one I'm talking about here.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Nationalism -- boost by declaring war using a casus belli? Inspiration from Europa Universalis perhaps?

Merchant Republic on Exploration feels a little strange. Merchant Republics didn't do much of that and were on decline when the Age of Exploration began (or shortly after anyway).

I didn't even know this game had a separate civics research tree like this, so looks like I'm pretty behind on the news.
    theSquid wrote: »
    Okay the end of that civics tree does not gel in terms of significance with the rest of it.

Social Media?

I disagree. I think it's easy to brush it off due to how much of its content is useless noise in our lives, but it's a pretty important development that's already having significant enough of an effect that autocratic nations regularly ban or otherwise control it. We're still in its early stages, too.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I am incredibly excited for this game. The only way I could be more excited was if they said they were getting rid of that stupid "conquering a city cuts its population in half" mechanic.

I haven't watched all of that gameplay video to see if there are any wars within which cities change hands.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    One I've seen went from 3 population to 2. Filthy Robot said he did an Aztec conquering spree game, but he hasn't uploaded it yet.

What I do know is that there's no mandatory waiting period while the city is completely useless, instead the city has some growth/production penalties until peace is made and its status is solidified. Which indicates to me there will be more Paradox style peace deals?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    It's just a weird mechanic all around. I guess it's to give a penalty to losing a city and having to take it back, but you already have the penalty of having lost the city in the first place. It leads to the situation where if someone takes your city (killing half the population) and then you take it back the next turn you also kill half the remaining population. A population that still identifies as being part of your civilization, that's why they are rioting and so unhappy. It's dumb, and leads to every war in the entire game where a city changes hands being a genocide.

Paradox-style war mechanics would be pretty awesome. Maybe not as complex, but like a war goal and/or peace terms would be great. Course who knows if the AI will be good enough to handle that. Previously you couldn't even do a straight up luxury trade with someone you're friendly with without the terms being completely lopsided in their favor.

• Options
    Think it's just an artifact of the early days when they didn't have any system to keep the city from being immediately useful. Then it became tradition and no one has thought about taking it out. Hopefully this time they do.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Here's one where a city changes hands. About 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0BCnXYAI1o

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »

It doesn't seem out of place in series where one of the victory types involves conquering the world through fashion.
    The Sauce wrote: »
    I didn't even know this game had a separate civics research tree like this, so looks like I'm pretty behind on the news.

Yeah, one of the big initiatives of Civ 6 is to make science less overpowered compared to other yields. The civics tree is one way they're tackling that problem. The Eureka boosts are another.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I'm not really feeling the ui-style. I love art deco so I am biased to civV anyway. This ui looks a lot less clean.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    I'm not really feeling the ui-style. I love art deco so I am biased to civV anyway. This ui looks a lot less clean.

Hopefully the guy behind EUI is already working on this game so he's ready for release. Made the Civ5 UI soooo much better.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PfDkGcSNE0

New Civ! Scythia!

Summary:
    They get two units (!) every time they build a light cavalry or their horse archer unique unit. Which does not require horses to build. They also all have the charge promotion effectively and heal slightly after killing a unit. They have a unique tile improvement that provides faith and gold if built next to pastures which can't be built on hills or next to each other. Their agenda is that they get exceptionally angry with surprise declarations of war.

• Options

New Civ! Scythia!

Summary:
    They get two units (!) every time they build a light cavalry or their horse archer unique unit. Which does not require horses to build. They also all have the charge promotion effectively and heal slightly after killing a unit. They have a unique tile improvement that provides faith and gold if built next to pastures which can't be built on hills or next to each other. Their agenda is that they get exceptionally angry with surprise declarations of war.

Finally, the Klingons have come to Civ.

Qapla'!

• Options
    Saw another video with a city capture. Egypt's capital went from 9 pop to 6.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I'm just glad to see that cities don't need to be on the coast to make full use of the sea. That's always bugged me. Sometimes 1 tile inland would be nice, don't see why that means a lighthouse is impossible to build and suddenly fish are less edible.

• Options
    The fish icon has confused I think every single player I've seen so far. It looks like a whale!

• Options
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/289070/announcements/detail/881964098498423513

Diplomacy post. No civ preview today, hopefully on Thursday to go along with the live stream they're doing from whichever conference.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    The Casus Belli system sounds super interesting, I wonder what some of the conditions outside of reconquest are. I guess gone are the days of intentionally being a dick to a civ until they declare on you, to circumvent the warmonger penalty.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Also from various gameplay videos, natural wonders seem to improve adjacent tiles. Kilimanjaro is absurd.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    The Casus Belli system sounds super interesting, I wonder what some of the conditions outside of reconquest are. I guess gone are the days of intentionally being a dick to a civ until they declare on you, to circumvent the warmonger penalty.

I'm curious as well, though I'm sure making them declare on you might still work best in some cases if none of the six approved causes happens to fit. It might even be easier now with the different civilization leaders liking and disliking different things, like if some guys hates you hogging all the wonders so you can do that and get them to declare war on you.

• Options
    If you want to watch two dummies playing a preview build and making a lot of mistakes due to their super-familiarity with Civ 5 and playing with those ingrained strategies, look no further!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXtakVshUg8

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Yikes, that is a disaster.

EDIT: Upon a little more thought, they do do a pretty good job of getting the eurekas to improve their science rate, so that's something.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Guy on the right is the worst backseat gamer. Also, has no idea how to just enjoy a game.

Edit: Also, Jesus Christ shut the fuck up about playing optimally (in a 15-minute session?! ya you really gonna win this one buddy) and making declarative statements about what you should and shouldn't do. It's like this guy has never actually played more than one version of Civ in his life. The only constant between all the Civ games is that Gandhi is a dick. Everything else is up for grabs.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    New leader vid, this time it's Germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvfU-1ycUs

Looks like they are keeping the feel of Germany from Civ5 (heavily industrial, but weighted towards conquest). Like the idea of extra policies as a trait, it's a nice subtle bonus that can easily be moved over to other civs with different preferences.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    As someone who doesn't fight city-states, not particularly exciting. Though the other bonuses are nice, especially the bonus policy.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Those Ü-boats are pretty cool and in line with their tactics during the World Wars. I'm just not sure about their industrial district, whats the logic there?

Also a pet peeve: Germany's cultural and philosophical accomplishments go unnoticed again. I mean: Germany is the country of Heidelberg and Bauhaus just as much as it is the country of the Wirtschafswunder and the Hanze-cities.

• Options
    Germans get stereotyped in the States. Industrious warriors, which is basically what they've been in every Civ game. Frederick got to be philosophical in 4 and that's the best they get.

• Options
    There are some wonders that give extra policy slots as well. Alhambra gives a military one, the Forbidden Palace gives a diplomatic one, and the Potala Palace gives a wildcard one.

So if you really wanted to go crazy, you could play as Fred, build both Alhambra and the Potala Palace, choose Fascism as your government, and have nine military policies in effect at the same time.

• Options
    Messing around with the policies is the thing I'm most excited for, so that's a good reason to play Germany. And I should probably be more willing to experiment with beating up city-states. From what I saw they should all get allied pretty quick and it seems harder to dislodge enemies from them, so if you're fighting wars you might come up against them more frequently anyway.

• Options
    Guy on the right is the worst backseat gamer. Also, has no idea how to just enjoy a game.

Edit: Also, Jesus Christ shut the fuck up about playing optimally (in a 15-minute session?! ya you really gonna win this one buddy) and making declarative statements about what you should and shouldn't do. It's like this guy has never actually played more than one version of Civ in his life. The only constant between all the Civ games is that Gandhi is a dick. Everything else is up for grabs.

Yeah he knows Civ 5 incredibly well and wins the majority of their multiplayer games he's involved in, so is super narrow-minded about what strategies work and what don't. I only linked it because I already watch their videos and I really like them but it's not a great intro to their personalities. Hence why I said "two dummies".

I like seeing what's new in the game through the lens of them fucking up at it though. There's a bit in the second video involving the first civilization they meet that is just perfect it's so dumb.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Yeah he knows Civ 5 incredibly well and wins the majority of their multiplayer games he's involved in, so is super narrow-minded about what strategies work and what don't. I only linked it because I already watch their videos and I really like them but it's not a great intro to their personalities. Hence why I said "two dummies".

I like seeing what's new in the game through the lens of them fucking up at it though. There's a bit in the second video involving the first civilization they meet that is just perfect it's so dumb.

Haha, should've said "one asshole and one guy who tolerates the asshole". =P

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Firaxis is doing a Germany livestream at 2 PM Eastern today. Personally hoping to see some mid-game content.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Music streaming now. Gameplay in 12.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I'll make a post here with thoughts for those who do not want to watch.

New build! (A day or two old)
    With a bug that was checking every player's turn for when to spawn barbarians instead of when the turn timer clicked over. So super raging barbarians.
    Mt. Everest is a natural wonder that gives bonuses to missionaries and apostles. More movement in hills.
    If you surround a city with units or ZOC, the city won't heal. (!!!) This requires you to also cover coastal tiles, which is the first real impetus to build coastal cities I've seen. Though we'll see if the AI is competent enough to do that.
    I Just realized that Germany's bonus military policy is a big deal for Classical Republic which normally has none but seems really powerful otherwise.
    Long term planning of districts is going to be a big deal, sounds like.
    Units get more XP for kills.
    Tool tip indicated the Legion is the Roman unique unit (swordsman) as usual. Also one I didn't recognize, but it looked African?
    Hammers seem scarce. Could just be this map. He's not making enough builders could also be a factor.
    Based on this, AI Tomyris might be a nightmare in the early game. TONS of horse archers.
    Germany's agenda is he wants to monopolize city-states and gets mad at you if you're allying yourself with them. Makes sense given the HRE.
    There are promotion trees which are actually depicted.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    its a small thing, but i'm really loving what they're doing with the Fog of War in VI. switching to a hand-drawn map style instead of just making it darker is a nice visually distinct touch.

• Options
    Overall it's pretty slow and not super exciting. Need to start seeing some stuff beyond turn 80 or so.

• Options
    I didn't pay close enough attention but others did. They brought up the Civilopedia page for Barbarossa so there were links to the other leaders on the side...
    1. Catherine de Medici - France
    2. Cleopatra - Egypt
    3. Frederick Barbarossa - Germany
    4. Gandhi - India
    5. Gilgamesh - Sumer / Ur
    6. Gorgo - Greece / Sparta
    7. Harald Hardrada - Norway / Vikings
    8. Hojo Tokimune - Japan
    9. Montezuma - Aztecs
    10. Mvemba a Nzinga - Kongo
    11. Pedro II - Brazil
    12. Pericles - Greece / Athens
    13. Peter - Russia
    14. Philip II - Spain
    15. Qin Shi Huang - China
    16. Saladin - Arabia
    17. Teddy Roosevelt - America
    18. Tomyris - Scythia
    19. Trajan - Rome
    20. Victoria - England

Thought:
    Athens and Sparta? INTERESTING

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm excited about actually being able to put a city under a true siege.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYdEKM33XXw

Dummy #2 is in the driver's seat now, with a new Dummy #3 along for the ride, if Lewis being a backseat driver is what put anyone off from the first few episodes.

I dunno, I really like seeing how the game feels to people so familiar with Civ 5 because that's basically the perspective i'll be coming at it from.

• Options
    Mostly just frustrated by their inability to understand tool tips I think are intuitive.