As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Eve Online Special Edition] Expansions, Mac/Linux Clients, and newbie drive

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ^^^^^ BoB spy

Lemming on
  • deadteardeadtear Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Guys you're overlooking the most important part: dongs. I mean for real, dongs.

Also, newbies should be less worrying about making money their first couple weeks, and more spoonfed until they can make their own. We know making money sucks shit early on in regards to making money. (ps: merch fags how about you toss your newbies some money so the game is far far more enjoyable to them)

deadtear on
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    ^^^^^ BoB spy

Why do you think my forum and game names are different? No one will know who the spy is, so they'll be forced to accuse every new player over and over!!
    deadtear wrote: »
    Guys you're overlooking the most important part: dongs. I mean for real, dongs.

I watched Superbad earlier tonight. That was dong heaven!

Becoming on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Becoming wrote: »
    Lemming wrote: »
    ^^^^^ BoB spy

Why do you think my forum and game names are different? No one will know who the spy is, so they'll be forced to accuse every new player over and over!!

MerchI is the only corp in Eve comprised entirely of spies

Lemming on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    gallente covops (helios) blows donkey balls. Anyone who says otherwise is a moron

oh, and for those you don't already know, sonelon is our loveable asshole of berating people. Also most likely to cause a diplomatic incident sooner or later

ronzo on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so I'm installing this again

last few times I went mining and lost interest

this time I guess I'll be military

Raneados on
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Raneados wrote: »
    so I'm installing this again

last few times I went mining and lost interest

this time I guess I'll be military

Mining is very boring unless you are doing it in a group while drinking while talking to people on TS.
    Sadly the same can be said for alot of PVP ops.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So while I said I didn't like the general SA attitude, there were some really helpful people in the game. unfortunately, the only person I remembered from my first time playing was Endlos Null, and he outright said he didn't like me at one point, and that's when I lost interest. I kind of picked the wrong guy to bug.

With that said, yeah... that was a little more abrasive of an initiation than usual, but I have gotten that in every online game I've played. It goes with the territory, and you shouldn't let it bug you. The PA guys were alright. I just thought SA was rubbing off of them. Plus, WANG is a complete misnomer. :D

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    evead2.jpg

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited November 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    So while I said I didn't like the general SA attitude, there were some really helpful people in the game. unfortunately, the only person I remembered from my first time playing was Endlos Null, and he outright said he didn't like me at one point, and that's when I lost interest. I kind of picked the wrong guy to bug.

With that said, yeah... that was a little more abrasive of an initiation than usual, but I have gotten that in every online game I've played. It goes with the territory, and you shouldn't let it bug you. The PA guys were alright. I just thought SA was rubbing off of them. Plus, WANG is a complete misnomer. :D

I'm one of the most helpful people you'll find normally, and I'm also one of the biggest assholes, so I totally fail to see what is wrong with the SA stuff :x:x

deadtear on
    edited November 2007

I'm one of the most helpful people you'll find normally, and I'm also one of the biggest assholes, so I totally fail to see what is wrong with the SA stuff :x:x

So thats why people say I remind them of you!

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    Sonelan wrote: »

Except you're not helpful at all?

deadtear on
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I joined MRCHI but I was too much of an asshole, so I had to defect to GoonFleet.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    finished the beginning tutorial

wow every time I play these tutorials get shorter

currently doing a few little missions, let's see

Raneados on
    edited November 2007

Except you're not helpful at all?
    I actually help new people to merchi. Other then that I'm really not.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also, newbies should be less worrying about making money their first couple weeks, and more spoonfed until they can make their own. We know making money sucks shit early on in regards to making money. (ps: merch fags how about you toss your newbies some money so the game is far far more enjoyable to them)

I usually give newbies 5-10M each depending on how much I have at the time. For some reason, Merch newbies are really timid about asking for handouts, or actually for anything - there was one guy who asked whether he was allowed to use the stargates, and some of them take like half an hour to cajole into salvaging wrecks because they don't want to offend people :shobon:

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    so I made a filthy amarr soldier

what should I train first? I've never been a soldier before. Just rolling out with my startup crapship and WeakFuckingGun#38855907

also i promise not to ask what to train every 5 minutes

Raneados on
    edited November 2007

what should I train first? I've never been a soldier before. Just rolling out with my startup crapship and WeakFuckingGun#38855907

Do the tutorial. you get free stuff including skillbooks for doing it.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

basic skills and what they do

edit: second post in thread

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
    edited November 2007
    Janin wrote: »

I usually give newbies 5-10M each depending on how much I have at the time. For some reason, Merch newbies are really timid about asking for handouts, or actually for anything - there was one guy who asked whether he was allowed to use the stargates, and some of them take like half an hour to cajole into salvaging wrecks because they don't want to offend people :shobon:

I just threw a newbie 15m a couple days ago because he was asking where to get frigates and being all :shobon: as fuck, and I didn't feel like walking him step by step through the processes :v

deadtear on
    edited November 2007

I just threw a newbie 15m a couple days ago because he was asking where to get frigates and being all :shobon: as fuck, and I didn't feel like walking him step by step through the processes :v
    I buy their salv so they don't get ripped off by the buy orders on the market. It gets expensive sometimes when they get 150 alloyed trit bars and such.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2007
    alright

on my way to becoming a crazy badass

quick, someone sit still and let me throw metaphorical space rocks at you

Raneados on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I buy their salv so they don't get ripped off by the buy orders on the market. It gets expensive sometimes when they get 150 alloyed trit bars and such.

So that's who I keep selling salvage too.

Also, newbies should just take anything named [ARSED].

electricitylikesme on
    edited November 2007
    hey a new ship

it's like 5 million times better than the newbie ship

YEY

a few better guns and I'm done for the night zzzz

Raneados on
  • encloserencloser Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Long time PA reader, off-and-on forum lurker. The EVE threads have gotten me interested in giving the game another shot (did a 14-day trial about a year ago). I've setup another trial and am just through the tutorial. Last time I gave up on the game because I was very lost and the combat seemed pretty boring. The more I play other MMOs, the more I'm drawn back to the openness of EVE even if the combat I've personally seen wasn't that exciting.

I'm off to find a station to apply to MerchI. I am hoping you guys can help me get a better view of the game.

Thanks.

encloser on
    EVE: Zane Rayez; CoX: Encloser;
    TF2/ETQW: [e]Encloser;
    encloser.png
  • YathrinYathrin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well I'm going to give Eve a shot. Just rolled up a Minmatar named Yathrin D. I really like Earth and Beyond, not sure why I've never given Eve a shot.

Yathrin on
    Deirdan.png
    card.png
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Eve is ... so confusing

but very good.

Either way, im going to play more later, i have to do other shit now.

Sueve on
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The best way to start out in EVE is to not bother trying to understand what's going on and just zoom around for a while :P

StormyWaters on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My piece of shit computer has something called riser slots and it won't accept video cards? I don't know. I would've bought one too! :(

Regicid3 on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think we should make it a note in the OP that there really are spies out there looking to get into your corp and steal all your stuff. Merchi gets around this by not having anything of value, and being full of spies.

No really, we are full of spies.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay. I am downloading and will post my ingame name once I create my character.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think I will get back into EVE

Zhynn will be played again...THE BAD SPY RETURNS!

(well, damn. Seems my account ran out)

Wallhitter on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My computer hardware knowledge is limited but I have an AGP 1x slot... is there any way I could play EVE on this computer? What could I buy?

Regicid3 on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Any new ships coming out with this most recent expansion that will be both A) pretty and B) not suck moose balls?

If so post what you know or where I can go look it up. And if you say google I cut you, I tried it already. :(

Caveman Paws on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yes

Black ops Battleships and, uh, heavy interdictors was it?

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited November 2007
    so my dude's name is Jon Kir

just applied

Raneados on
    edited November 2007
    wish I could search equipment based on what I can actually use

Raneados on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Since it's the top of the page, I'm going to re-iterate something important.

First, join MerchI. Or the fleet proper if you're already a goon. Either way, we are the way to go. DO NOT stay in empire and train, just get yourself some basic skills. Ask for a couple million and buy/train EVERYTHING YOU CAN, don't even train it to level 1, just cram your character full of things like prop jamming, and survey/salvaging. Just plug in as many as you can. Get salvaging to 1, then pod yourself out to e-pr0s.

The biggest reason being that the experience is totally different than running missions in empire space. Why? Because you're going to be doing things that empire players will likely never see or do, and only hear about through totally mis-informed second hand stories. We take things like hiding in pos', using jumpbridges (our beloved, jewel encrusted jewper highway), getting jump bridged, opening cynos, and seeing a cornucopia of ships in fleets and gangs in sizes that most would consider a 'fleet', while to us 30+ pilots is a small gang. Then, Shrike appears in local, 0km from the gate.

Take last night. It was Daveydweebs' birthday, so we hop in some ships and head out on a suicide op. After flying 20+ jumps to catch up with them, I overshoot since hurr I forgot ts, and sit in a system waiting, get a tackle on a hostile interdictor. I end up blowing apart by the time reinforcements get in, but they kill the guy anyways. We're composed of some vets, and several newbies. I keep listening on TS, and a couple jumps later a cyno opens in system.
    Walwyn wrote: »
    shrikeuq5.th.png

TAKE THAT GUY I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT

P.S. I've been in goon squad for 7 days
    This right here. This is goonfleet. Shooting an Avatar in a T1 caracal.
    moar screens:
    20071117082517wp8.th.jpg
    20071117082657fh9.th.jpg

Even that alone is something most players will never see, let alone doing things like getting to see/be assigned fighters by carriers and go fighter bombing, or dread fleets taking down a pos or if you're lucky, cyno'ing in ontop of a mothership or titan, or being able to go on combat ops on a daily basis.

I was at a lan, and everyone had difficulty understanding that a couple day old player can be a useful asset in a fleet - no grinding to 20 or 70, no need for the best gear, you can be flying with the rest of us within days. And if you want to be another Hrin (the MerchI pilot that decloaked GoonFleet's first titan kill), you can fly interdictors relatively quickly.

Besides, who doesn't love the ability to bubble your own fleet?

But, yes, you are flying with goons. If you're the sensitive type, or can't take harsh (yet generally good natured) joking and trolling, don't bother flying out. You're going to be living in goon country, flying on goon ops, and relying on them for a lot of various things.

And several of us here are already goons, so we're already used to the master culture.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

lets just hope the first thing you learn is to not roll amarr :P

Syk0 > Lets see. First I got invaded by the goons. Then I became allied with the goons. Then betrayed the goons. Then fought the goons, then betrayed the people I was with against the goons to partner with a goon friendly, and now a goon.

Now, I need about two million to afford my clones and about 8 more million to fit a functional arbi. Anyone willing to loan some isk?

Sanders on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    Since it's the top of the page, I'm going to re-iterate something important.

First, join MerchI. Or the fleet proper if you're already a goon. Either way, we are the way to go. DO NOT stay in empire and train, just get yourself some basic skills. Ask for a couple million and buy/train EVERYTHING YOU CAN, don't even train it to level 1, just cram your character full of things like prop jamming, and survey/salvaging. Just plug in as many as you can. Get salvaging to 1, then pod yourself out to e-pr0s.

The biggest reason being that the experience is totally different than running missions in empire space. Why? Because you're going to be doing things that empire players will likely never see or do, and only hear about through totally mis-informed second hand stories. We take things like hiding in pos', using jumpbridges (our beloved, jewel encrusted jewper highway), getting jump bridged, opening cynos, and seeing a cornucopia of ships in fleets and gangs in sizes that most would consider a 'fleet', while to us 30+ pilots is a small gang. Then, Shrike appears in local, 0km from the gate.

Take last night. It was Daveydweebs' birthday, so we hop in some ships and head out on a suicide op. After flying 20+ jumps to catch up with them, I overshoot since hurr I forgot ts, and sit in a system waiting, get a tackle on a hostile interdictor. I end up blowing apart by the time reinforcements get in, but they kill the guy anyways. We're composed of some vets, and several newbies. I keep listening on TS, and a couple jumps later a cyno opens in system.
    Walwyn wrote: »
    shrikeuq5.th.png

TAKE THAT GUY I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT

P.S. I've been in goon squad for 7 days
    This right here. This is goonfleet. Shooting an Avatar in a T1 caracal.
    moar screens:
    20071117082517wp8.th.jpg
    20071117082657fh9.th.jpg

Even that alone is something most players will never see, let alone doing things like getting to see/be assigned fighters by carriers and go fighter bombing, or dread fleets taking down a pos or if you're lucky, cyno'ing in ontop of a mothership or titan, or being able to go on combat ops on a daily basis.

I was at a lan, and everyone had difficulty understanding that a couple day old player can be a useful asset in a fleet - no grinding to 20 or 70, no need for the best gear, you can be flying with the rest of us within days. And if you want to be another Hrin (the MerchI pilot that decloaked GoonFleet's first titan kill), you can fly interdictors relatively quickly.

Besides, who doesn't love the ability to bubble your own fleet?

But, yes, you are flying with goons. If you're the sensitive type, or can't take harsh (yet generally good natured) joking and trolling, don't bother flying out. You're going to be living in goon country, flying on goon ops, and relying on them for a lot of various things.

And several of us here are already goons, so we're already used to the master culture.

That sounds raw as shit.

Sueve on
This discussion has been closed.