As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Eve Online Special Edition] Expansions, Mac/Linux Clients, and newbie drive

• leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Learning skills whenever you can stand to train them to IV (as high as you'll ever need, advanced or basic), then electronic/mechanic. Anything that increases your cap or powergrid size is always good regardless of ship. Gunnery skills are always useful, as long as it doesn't have a racial/size name infront of it, it'll apply to any gun type.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am hoping that it's okay to ask questions in this thread? I am diligently reading the Goonswarm wiki entry on character creation and it appears that a Minmatar is the best option for someone who wants to deal with small ship combat?

The kind of character I wanted to create is a small ship fighter pilot type. I don't have much interest in piloting larger ships, would Minmatar match that correctly?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Minmatar is all around goodness, I hear.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited November 2007
    Stilettos and wolfs (interceptor and wolf, resepectively), are awsome ships. Ontop of that, matari ceptors are the cheapest in the game with gallente close behind, which is a huge plus when dealing with being a tackler in fleet warfare.

Gallente come in second, either race is still a solid choice for pvp orientation.

In the legion we had a guy flying a stiletto as scout/tackler, probably one of the best I've flown with. Just make sure your cap skills can deal with perma-running a mwd/scram. I'm refocusing onto smaller ships ever since the upcoming nerf of carriers, and the gallente recons/command ship, and drone bandwidth.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited November 2007
    leaf wrote: »
    Stilettos and wolfs (interceptor and wolf, resepectively), are awsome ships. Ontop of that, matari ceptors are the cheapest in the game with gallente close behind, which is a huge plus when dealing with being a tackler in fleet warfare.

Gallente come in second, either race is still a solid choice for pvp orientation.

In the legion we had a guy flying a stiletto as scout/tackler, probably one of the best I've flown with. Just make sure your cap skills can deal with perma-running a mwd/scram. I'm refocusing onto smaller ships ever since the upcoming nerf of carriers, and the gallente recons/command ship, and drone bandwidth.

Allright. Uh. First, I understood maybe 20% of your post. I think you said that Minmatar and Gallente are both good choices for a focus on smaller ships?

MegaMan001 on
  • king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I tried the EVE trial a while back (maybe last year sometime) with a friend of mine when we were looking for a good MMO fix. I remember we tried it because the video/images we saw of the game made us drool.

At the time I just couldn't get into it because it was almost to much thrown on to me at once and I had no idea what to do or how to get into the game. The interface was all like "FUCK YOU MAN, ENJOY THESE 1000 BUTTONS", and then we broke up and it kept my favorite hoody :(

But after reading this post I'm pretty interested again. A player run government and an ongoing war? Hells yes.

I assume that if I tried again but got in with you guys I would thoroughly enjoy myself within seconds?

(This is the part where you reply and say "Nay! Milliseconds sir!" to further cement this idea in my head.)

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
    edited November 2007
    I've been in the tutorial for like 20 mins and I gotta agree, there are a ton of buttons and I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. Kind of feel like the first day of grade school. Anyway, in game name is Vodka Gimlet. Will apply to the Merch Industrial as soon as I figure out how to get there.

EDIT: Ok I docked at a station and was simply overwhelmed with the like 100 windows of tiny text to read and sift through. I'll give this another shot tomorrow.

MegaMan001 on
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Allright. Uh. First, I understood maybe 20% of your post. I think you said that Minmatar and Gallente are both good choices for a focus on smaller ships?
    They're generally considered to be the more pvp-focused races. Gallente are the kings of solo pvp, although they also have an excellent large-fleet battleship. Minmatar are aimed more at mid sized fights. They also have by far the best frigate, so it's nice for newbies.

runaway_pancake on
    edited November 2007
    Stilettos and wolfs (interceptor and assault frigate, respectively), are awesome ships. Ontop of that, matari interceptors are the cheapest in the game with gallente close behind, which is a huge plus when dealing with being a tackler in fleet warfare. (fleet lag plus the sheer number of people shooting at you, you're going to be going through them quite often)

In Sanguine Legion (pirate corp I left merchi for a few months to fly with) we had a guy flying a stiletto as scout/tackler, probably one of the best I've flown with. Just make sure your capacitor skills (like your ships battery power) can deal with permanently running a mwd (makes you go fast) / scram (keeps other guy from warping away from you). I'm refocusing onto smaller ships as well ever since the upcoming 'nerf' of carriers, and the gallente recons/command ship, and drone bandwidth.

Jesus christ I hate laptop keyboards sometimes. Also, I apparently can't type. The one time I don't double read my post, it becomes entirely incomprehensible. Re-read it, hopefully my fixes this time around make it a bit more understandable.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, I just got the trial and played through the first 2 missions and am currently heading to one of your offices. Expect an application soonish!

Character name: Lawinator

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Every single race is good at something, it's simply too hard to say what the 'best' is. However, on character creation, I really recommend going Caldari Achura and having horrible charisma. Your race determines nothing but stats-I'm Achura and fly Amarr/Minmatar the vast majority of the time. But being Caldari Achura means I train fast as heck.

Oh, and for further proof that having low skillpoints is fine: the CEO of Goonfleet (guy in charge of Goonswarm, all 5500 people) just broke 20m SP. A lot of "pvp" corps won't even accept people with less than that many SP.

StormyWaters on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i'm debating renewing my subscription..i played before for a couple of months and was bored to death..but i never actually managed to join a corp in that time so it was mostly just me..all alone..in the vast emptiness of space...
    crying softly to myself

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i'm debating renewing my subscription..i played before for a couple of months and was bored to death..but i never actually managed to join a corp in that time so it was mostly just me..all alone..in the vast emptiness of space...
    crying softly to myself

D:
    Emos... in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE.

devoir on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sanders wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    so I made a filthy amarr soldier

what should I train first? I've never been a soldier before. Just rolling out with my startup crapship and WeakFuckingGun#38855907

also i promise not to ask what to train every 5 minutes
    lets just hope the first thing you learn is to not roll amarr :P

Syk0 > Lets see. First I got invaded by the goons. Then I became allied with the goons. Then betrayed the goons. Then fought the goons, then betrayed the people I was with against the goons to partner with a goon friendly, and now a goon.

Now, I need about two million to afford my clones and about 8 more million to fit a functional arbi. Anyone willing to loan some isk?

Send me an evemail in game.

ed: only go Amarr if you are in for the Long Haul. The first decent ship you can fly in any capacity is a battlecruiser, and its still worse in pretty much every way to the Minmitar version. The Battleships are Good with tech 2 guns and high skills, and the Command Ships are O.K. Great Capitals though. But really, the long haul.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The community seems to have completely changed from when I played around a year ago now.

I was wondering when Trinity is due for a release, or if it has a confirmed release date yet? The OPs don't seem to mention.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Trinity is due for release soon™

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited November 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Sanders wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    so I made a filthy amarr soldier

what should I train first? I've never been a soldier before. Just rolling out with my startup crapship and WeakFuckingGun#38855907

also i promise not to ask what to train every 5 minutes
    lets just hope the first thing you learn is to not roll amarr :P

Syk0 > Lets see. First I got invaded by the goons. Then I became allied with the goons. Then betrayed the goons. Then fought the goons, then betrayed the people I was with against the goons to partner with a goon friendly, and now a goon.

Now, I need about two million to afford my clones and about 8 more million to fit a functional arbi. Anyone willing to loan some isk?

Send me an evemail in game.

ed: only go Amarr if you are in for the Long Haul. The first decent ship you can fly in any capacity is a battlecruiser, and its still worse in pretty much every way to the Minmitar version. The Battleships are Good with tech 2 guns and high skills, and the Command Ships are O.K. Great Capitals though. But really, the long haul.

The harbinger isn't worse than the hurricane :/

StormyWaters on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I had great fun last night. I've been playing for about 2 days and was hauling my tackler frigate (taht's a frigate that can basically stop other ships from running, for those unaware) when, around a jumpgate, I got totally swarmed by 5 enemy ships and blown the hell up. So good.

Getting killed by NPC ships, however... Not so good. Not so good at all.

LibrarianThorne on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

The harbinger isn't worse than the hurricane :/

Pretty much slightly in every way. Look at the DPS it does after HP/Resistances are taken into account.

In the short range/small gang, the armor tanks make the DPS against EHP much better even after falloff on the Hurricane.

In the long range/large gang, the alpha strike, and increased damage on carbonized lead makes the Hurricane more efficient against the majority of targets.

The Harbinger isnt that bad, and its not much worse than a Hurricane, but it is worse.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Salvaging training will be done in 20 minutes! Finally!

Sueve on
    edited November 2007
    Ok. Destination Mateber set. Warping there via Autopilot. Will apply when I arrive at the MerchI offices.

Character Name = Vodka Gimlet

MegaMan001 on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So i'm getting back in on this I guess. Last time I played, I contacted the PA guys, and they seemed pretty anti-social. Been over a year, so I figure i'll give it another shot. Have there been any big changes towards drones, lately? I always wanted to try to pilot a ship that used them as it's main form of combat.

Archonex on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Archonex wrote: »
    So i'm getting back in on this I guess. Last time I played, I contacted the PA guys, and they seemed pretty anti-social. Been over a year, so I figure i'll give it another shot. Have there been any big changes towards drones, lately? I always wanted to try to pilot a ship that used them as it's main form of combat.
    Vexor, Dominix should be your first two stops (cruiser and battleship respectively).

If you roll a Special Forces Gallente you start with Drones 5 right out the door, and you're basically on top of getting a Vexor. From there I would say (1) beg for money and (2) train Hull Upgrades 4 so you can fit armor hardeners. A properly fitted cruiser just chews through Sansha battleship spawns and you'll be gushing cash in no time.

Also, come to E-Pr0 right away (after you join Merch Industrial) since there's quite a good selection of Sansha space nearby (you'll want to start with low true-sec ratings to give you easier rats initially).

electricitylikesme on
    edited November 2007
    Ok. Destination Mateber set. Warping there via Autopilot. Will apply when I arrive at the MerchI offices.

Character Name = Vodka Gimlet
    Don't use autopilot.

CCP introduced Warp to Zero - which means when you manually warp to an object you arrive at worst 2500m from it (meaning you can jump immediately at a stargate). However, autopilot does not do this - it warps to 15km and then makes your ship fly there manually. It is an extremely slow way to travel, and if you pass through low-sec or 0.0 it means you will get ganked.

electricitylikesme on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    God damnit, when will CCP stop telling noobs that autopilot is a good way to travel in the tutorial? Do they even play their game ever? The tutorial might as well say 'Lol! Now undock, steal something from a can and start shooting the nearest station! Lawlz!'

Szechuanosaurus on
  • eatblueshelleatblueshell Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God damnit, when will CCP stop telling noobs that autopilot is a good way to travel in the tutorial? Do they even play their game ever? The tutorial might as well say 'Lol! Now undock, steal something from a can and start shooting the nearest station! Lawlz!'

No, No, No, you've got it all wrong. Having people use autopilot is BRILLIANT. it gets you very familiar with losing your ship, which every capsuleer should get used to immediately.

It's a good way to say, "This is not fucking WoW. You WILL lose things, and you won't get it back for free."

Perhaps we should put it in the OP or the thread name to not use auto-pilot, so merchi newbies know not to use it.

eatblueshell on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    but then we wouldnt have the newbies who autopilot the 40+ and show how live

Seriously, if you dont particularly care about dying, try it. 2/3 times i live through doing it in a shuttle

ronzo on
  • eatblueshelleatblueshell Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ronzo wrote: »
    but then we wouldnt have the newbies who autopilot the 40+ and show how live

Seriously, if you dont particularly care about dying, try it. 2/3 times i live through doing it in a shuttle

I am so going to throw expensive skill books into my shuttle and AFK autopilot back to empire. And then blame you for saying i had a 66.7% chance of making it.

Though it's true, I made an empire chicken run from Stain to Molden Heath 3 times and survived everytime, granted I wasn't autopiloting, but only once did I run into a gate camp. And promptly got blown up, but I made it out of the bubble and didn't get podded, so I can't complain too much.

eatblueshell on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    My computer hardware knowledge is limited but I have an AGP 1x slot... is there any way I could play EVE on this computer? What could I buy?

A new fucking computer. Or maybe a 6600GT like I have. I don't know if it works in a 1x slot though.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited November 2007
    I can play eve w/ 2.6 ghz p4, 512 megs of ram, geforce 5700, and I play it with wine in linux. So really anything should be able to play it as long as the computer was built this century.

StormyWaters on
    edited November 2007
    he's what used to play eve on before i got my macbook. i played on this comp for 10 months:
    Pentium III 1.2 Ghz
    512 mbs of RAM
    Radeon 9200 PCI card
    15inch CRT
    So I dont want to hear any bitching about "my system is only 3 years old and it doesnt run eve at 100 FPS"
    I used to get 20 fps on a good day

ronzo on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What's the Vent channel we use? We're ganging up to smash some SE and dabig wants people in Vent only he won't tell people, like myself, what the goddamned channel is.

LibrarianThorne on
    edited November 2007
    What's the Vent channel we use? We're ganging up to smash some SE and dabig wants people in Vent only he won't tell people, like myself, what the goddamned channel is.

we use the goon's ts, and I know someone just said yesterday we could use their vent server. For goon's ts, you need to have a forum account to move yourself to the various channels like the op's or merchi. If not, we have to find a SA who can drag you. This is all explained on the merchi forums and i believe in corpmails. If its not I'll clear it up later today.

Also, you're a newbie, and as such there will be things we wont tell you unless we know you better. This is for everyone benefit so that spies jobs are much harder and will stop trying to get in.

Even though like 2/3 of the people in MerchI are spies.

EDIT: Just to be clear, we will try to help you, and we only do certain things for opsec. It's not you personally, just being careful

ronzo on
  • runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Corpmail has everything you need to know about voice servers or ingame channels.

runaway_pancake on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just made a Caldari Achura as per the instructions on wiki.goonfleet for a PvP focused character. Doing the tutorial now. Name is Mallady, I'll be applying once I finish the tutorial.

edit: Application in.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • boselecta1980boselecta1980 Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    I'll be applying soon... still to decide on my race, role and name - but then I'm good to go!

boselecta1980 on
    It is only one who is thoroughly acquainted with the evils of war that can thoroughly understand the profitable way of carrying it on.

-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

www.igs.com
    edited November 2007
    Whatever you do DO NOT try to put a modern video card in an AGP 1x slot. They changed the voltages each generation, so AGP 1x is 3.3V or something and will fry any modern 4x/8x card.

electricitylikesme on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Right, so I got bored with the idea of a drone whore, and decided to make a miner, that uses drones as supplements. I'll probably kit him out for combat once I get situated, though, as a miner. Heading out to join up right now as Maedanis Ulrith.

Archonex on
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is it possible to make the mac client run in a window?

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
    edited November 2007
    Archonex wrote: »
    Right, so I got bored with the idea of a drone whore, and decided to make a miner, that uses drones as supplements. I'll probably kit him out for combat once I get situated, though, as a miner. Heading out to join up right now as Maedanis Ulrith.
    Being a miner isn't really an awesome option. You should go drone whore, train salvaging and then nuke Sansha spawns - you'll make more money, more easily.

electricitylikesme on
This discussion has been closed.