As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NSFW] Sublimus' Sketch Dumps

SublimusSublimus Artist.nowhereRegistered User regular
edited August 2018 in Artist's Corner
Been doing a lot more digital work recently. Figured I'll dump them here.

First here is the stuff I dumped in the Doodle thread.

365_001.png

365_002.png

365_003.png

365_004.png

365_005.png

365_006.png

365_007.png

365_008.png

365_009.png

365_010.png

365_011.png

365_013.png

365_014.png

365_015.png

ArtPosse_Thumbs.png

ArtPosse_Sketches.png

Sublimus on

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    And here is some stuff I drew this morning on the stream!

"Final" swords (3 tiers of the same sword was the idea), and another study!

ArtPosse_Sword_Color.png

365_016.png

Sublimus on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Very nice man, I saw your swords on Sam's stream, nice work! I'm really liking the challenges, hope you do more of them. The studies are looking good although I think you could work towards more confident strokes or maybe try to blend some forms out. Keep it up dude!

F87 on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, I agree on the blending. Getting some clean forms will really push you in terms of being confident. An example: http://c-bedford.tumblr.com/post/120133581097/ill-finish-this-later In alot of ways, the painting is still rough, but the contor is clean, aiding the definition of the figure overall.

I suggest getting some master studies into the mix, as you'll be able to study both the technique and work on basic anatomy/shapes in the process. I think these are looking really good though, just need to keep pushing forward.

• Options
    @F87 Thanks! I'm going to try and do the challenges as much as I can! Thanks for the tip, I'll try blend the forms a bit better! (Maybe I should switch up brushes after a bit)

@Iruka Thanks! That's a nice example! An yeah, I think I should mix in some master studies too. :)

I'll be back with some sooooooon!

• Options
    barcsbarcs ireland Registered User regular
    Great job on the sword designs! It's something i'm trying to work out myself so really inspiring stuff!

• Options
    @barcs Thanks! I'm glad you like them!

Not much to show, I was out of town for a bit. Time to get back to work, and stop slacking!

Here is a sketch jam from work. the prompt was "jet pack, laser gun, chainmail, tattoos"

Z_SketchJam_02.png

And then here are two things I'm noodling on.

ArtPosse2_Color2.png

BigDummy1.png

• Options
    BrainPaintBrainPaint Registered User regular
    Hey man! Haven't commented on your stuff yet so I figured why not :) So your lighting is getting nice, but I agree with Iruka that some of the forms are getting lost. If i blur my eyes everything looks great, but those nitty gritty details in terms of how the light transitions between different values is what sucks people in because those transitions define the form, texture, and material. I would try working with a brush that has its minimum opacity dynamics a little higher. Being able to work super light is nice when you're sketching, but the repeated strokes in a painting with low opacity tends to cause weird mixes. Corel painter mixes the colors differently, but photoshop gets that strange filter look in areas of low opacity that distorts values as they overlap. I'm not sure if Im explaining this right :/ But it looks like you've taken a big leap dude. You're getting there, heck you even have a little subsurface scattering on that horned ogre's ear which is a detail I often forget.

• Options
    @BrainPaint Thanks Zach! Sorry I didn't reply until now! Great crit though :D

Finally finished this guy! in 2016 I want to finish more work, and post more online. So here is a bit of both!

I also scanned in a little over 50 images from my sketchbooks, and will post those soon!

Cheers!!

Minotaur.png

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    The way that bicep is connecting to the forearm is super wacky. Forearm muscles are tricky because they wrap around the arm and twist in weird ways when the arm is pronated.

M5ZnEhw.jpg

There's a good page here (NSFW there are boobs) that illustrate how the bicep relates to the muscles in the forearm.
    i.imgur.com/qlQMo8D.png

• Options
    @ChicoBlue Thanks! I guess it's pretty obvious I have little clue how those muscles really work. I'll do some studies from the links you posted! Thanks man!!

• Options
    Hello everyone! I finally scanned in some stuff. I Finished this sketchbook and two others at the end of the year, so I still have some more scanning to do. And also, here is a orc dude that's in progress.

Akumorc01.png

SB_01.png

SB_02.png

SB_03.png

SB_04.png

SB_05.png

SB_06.png

SB_07.png

SB_08.png

SB_09.png

SB_10.png

SB_11.png

SB_12.png

SB_13.png

SB_14.png

SB_15.png

SB_16.png

SB_17.png

SB_18.png

SB_19.png

SB_20.png

SB_21.png

SB_22.png

SB_23.png

SB_24.png

SB_25.png

SB_26.png

• Options
    man, Love your sketchbook pages. I'm glad you are taking the time to scan them in, its always awesome to see.

• Options
    @Iruka Thanks! I think drawing in my sketchbook is probably my favorite art to make. :)

Also, I forgot to post these things. Got super lazy when I got down to the legs, because I decided they were terrible. The shape language for them is not consistent, or unique across the three. I'll have to do better ones!

03_meh_zoid.png

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Yeah, really like seeing your loose figure drawings (as well as the more polished stuff like above). Keep it up! Looking forward to seeing more. :)

• Options
    @NightDragon Thanks! :)

Sorry for the spam, but here's the last of the scans! Like I said, I wrapped up three sketchbooks in a frenzy at the end of last year, and here is the last bit.

All the gestures are 1 min.

Oh god, I have to hide these behind a spoiler tag. Just too much crap haha.
    SB_27.png

SB_28.png

SB_29.png

SB_30.png

SB_31.png

SB_32.png

SB_33.png

SB_34.png

SB_35.png

SB_36.png

SB_37.png

SB_38.png

SB_39.png

SB_40.png

SB_41.png

SB_42.png

SB_43.png

SB_44.png

SB_45.png

SB_46.png

SB_47.png

SB_48.png

SB_49.png

SB_50.png

SB_51.png

SB_52.png

SB_53.png

SB_54.png

SB_55.png

SB_56.png

SB_57.png

SB_58.png

SB_59.png

SB_60.png

SB_61.png

SB_62.png

SB_63.png

and here is a generic alien bust.

Sculpt_01.png

and here is some small progress on the orc

Akumorc02.png

and here is a little process gif of the minotaur. It jumps at the end because I wanted to have the character separate from the BG, so I had to work on one layer. :/

ArtPosse2_Color2_anim.gif

• Options
    Not much different, but calling this done. Lost steam on it.

Akumorc.png

Akumorc.gif

and a little still life I did.

SL_01.png

• Options
    Some studies in various stages of completion.

FS_01.png

FS_02.png

FS_03.png

FS_04.png

SL_02.png

• Options
    Challenge yourself to use bigger brushes. If you can learn to work big to small, your studies will look cleaner and more finished earlier, and you wont be fighting for a long time to refine them.

Like on that last one, there's not a whole lot of reasons that the front tube should have such messy edges considering there aren't any tonal transitions going on there. I think small object studies like that are great for learning to be confident with your strokes, just not as much going on as in figures. I Like these studies:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/153755774755891893/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/153755774755891891/
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/153755774755891888/

You can then extend that into people and refine the details as you go:
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/153755774755560147/

I've been learning to do this myself more and more. For me, I have to convince myself that my hand is capable of putting it down the first time, and just go for it. Weeding out trepidation is hard sometimes.

• Options
    @Iruka

Thanks! Yeah, those edges really suck haha. I'll try and use bigger brushes!

• Options
    More studies! And I finally drew something creative!

FS_05.png

FS_06.png

FS_07.png

FS_08.png

SL_03.png

SL_04.png

SL_05.png

doodle_01.png

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    The brush strokes are a looking a bit more confident, but keep working on it. The creative portrait is cool, but it's a little hard to tell what's going on in the mouth. It looks like the bottom lip has a big hole in it and you can see the bottom of the teeth through it and the points protrude out of the mouth along the top. If that's the case, the band of the bottom lip stretching across should show some stretching around the curve of the individual teeth since they are so big and round, and the bottom of teeth visible through the hole shouldn't look like a bunch of little teeth. SO I'm not sure if maybe instead it's not supposed to be a hole at all but just a goatee? It's just a bit hard to read.

• Options
    @lyrium Thanks! I'm definitely going to keep working on the still life studies!

As for the dude, it's supposed to be a hollow lip disk, and then the teeth shapes on his upper lip were supposed to be face paint. Definitely confusing! I should probably just have had a different face paint pattern. The lip disk is probably confusing enough on it's own! haha.

• Options
    WIckedkarmaWIckedkarma AustinRegistered User regular
    @Sublimus I noticed were int he same town =)
    Dragons Lair does a cosplay life drawing night every Sunday from like 7pm - 10pm. its kinda ghetto though as its just cosplayers posing with no real lighting or anything.
    If you dont mind going downtown http://www.avaaonline.org/avaas-life-drawing-program is way more professional with legit lighting and everything.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

@WIckedkarma Oh cool! Iruka lives in Austin too!

Sorry for being lazy! Here is some stuff since the last post. :D

StoneGolem_Thumbs.png

StoneGolem_Thumbs_Redux.png

G1_Castle_Window.png

doodle_05.png

doodle_03.png

doodle_04.png

doodle_16.png

doodle_19.png

doodle_21.png

doodle_27.png

doodle_28.png

doodle_29.png

doodle_30.png

doodle_32.png

And a master study
    MS_01.png

• Options
    beckerskullsbeckerskulls Registered User regular
    Those studies of the gravestone and tower have a really nice feel to them! To get a little nit-picky, I'd find some reference for that bird to get the head/neck shape and legs right.

• Options
    @beckerskulls Thanks! Yeah I could probably stand to do some bird studies hehe. D:

• Options
    LampLamp Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Great thread and really nice studies here! I wanted to point out something I've noticed about your work from imagination. The main thing that sticks out to me is that you often don't seem to be thinking enough about perspective when sketching out a character. Just about every character drawing/painting in here sticks to the same formula, which is a basic 3/4 view, with the camera seemingly at about the chest or shoulders line. Which is fine, but the issues is that your perspective tends to be flattened across the entire character, with for example each character's head or shoulders tilted at about the same angle as the skew of their feet. The result is characters who look flattened, instead of existing in 3D space. Definitely not always the case but it's something that I've noticed as a pattern. I also think you should generally consider varying your camera angle to help tell a story. For example, drawing the ogre from a low angle helps sell the story that he's tall and imposing.

d44dzlyih8lt.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    @Lamp Wow! Thanks for the feedback! Really good stuff. I agree! I think it's mostly a comfort zone thing. Time to break out!

• Options
    edited August 2016
    So I've been teaching myself Blender and I just learned something that seemed very relevant, I hope you don't mind :)

So today I was watching some tutorials about controlling the camera in Blender and it was going over focal length. The basic lesson is that the longer the lens of your camera is, the more it flattens out the perspective of your image, like so:

pstfaquzrylk.jpeg

Of course you may already know this stuff, but I know nothing about photography, so this was kind of a revelation to me. And after toying with it for a bit it hit me that it helps explain what I was talking about in that last post.

d95865bdkdnc.jpg

The way you drew the figure here seems to depict him with a very long lens, which flattens the perspective out over most of the figure (1) and gives you that "flyswatted" look. That has advantages and disadvantages depending on your subject matter, but for a dynamic character illustration you might want to aim for the more naturalistic short lens look, which gives you a more dynamic perspective (2). You can see it especially around the chest, shoulders and head area.

Lamp on
  • Options
    @Lamp Amazing!! Thank you so much for writing this, it's super interesting! Now to try and digest it, haha!

• Options
    Here is some garbage from the last few days. Haven't made anything since I got this last crit from @lamp. Woking on it now, and I hope to show improvement next dump!

doodle_33.png

doodle_34.png

doodle_35.png

doodle_36.png

doodle_37.png

doodle_38.png

Cheers!

• Options
    I feel like your eyes are a little lacking in structure, It works alright in your sketches because everything is suggested, but on your more painted portraits its more noticable. I'd suggest slowing down and getting into the particulars of how different eyes are shaped, and go deeper into defining how the lids are shaped.

• Options
    @iruka Thanks! Some eye studies will be done! :D:D

• Options
    Didn't do any eye studies. D: I will, I promise!

Here is the haul of junk from the last week. Doesn't feel like enough....

OW_Study_01_1.png

doodle_40.png

doodle_41.png

doodle_42.png

doodle_43.png

KH_Color1.png

• Options
    This weeks boop.

doodle_45.png

doodle_46.png

doodle_47.png

doodle_48.png

doodle_49.png

doodle_50.png

• Options
    My humble offerings from the last few days. Going camping for s few days, so I wanted to throw what I had up before I left!

doodle_51.png

MC_White_Angel3.png

MC_White_Angel2.png

• Options
    Went Camping over the long weekend, so no drawing. But here are some photos I took! :D

29521489585_c46e17c337_b.jpg

29521494135_2fb3eb5332_b.jpg

29412473592_aba1cb7e0f_b.jpg

29412471792_a796ff3f13_b.jpg

29521501855_c2036b015c_b.jpg

29521506105_7b2d722789_b.jpg

29521498115_81b2a97407_b.jpg

• Options
    You should do some quick painting studies from those. Also we should all go out there and try to paint! I've been wanting to do some super shitty plein air paintings.

The eye studies, they still seem to lack lids. Be patient while you look for the plane changes, and try include the details like, the crease above the eye, and such. The eyelashes in your ref may have been distorted by makeup, but the bottom lid usually has a bit of a line between the lases and the actual eye. Make sure your reference isn't too blown out lighting wise so you can really look into the anatomy. I think proko has a good break down on it:
    http://www.stanprokopenko.com/blog/2009/05/draw-eyes/

Also, I love that purple demon skull, but you could have probably guessed that.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    @Iruka I did a photobash, that's almost a study right? :P

PB_02.png

Behold! A man who has no clue what he is doing! (So much to learn.)

SP_02.png

And a little lunch sketch from today

SB_002.png

And! I hesitate to post these, and spam with more photos, but I'm very happy to be done with them! Big Bend Texas! From March this year.

29340866140_e3d55b64d7_b.jpg

29520665442_3f52ec97c3_b.jpg

29520661082_2980158f84_b.jpg

29520659402_73b9d58d89_b.jpg

29520655382_0106181278_b.jpg

29520651912_233b9140d8_b.jpg

29520648182_40a67b97cc_b.jpg

29520646102_53c25cbf9a_b.jpg

29520644872_3235f6df21_b.jpg

29340843760_8f58b60eeb_b.jpg

29340838690_c0b8fe92ca_b.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Wowee, those are some gorgoeous shots. I moved to Seattle last year and we've done a lot of hiking this summer, so I've finally gotten to see some cool views of mountains and such. But those sheer cliffs are something else altogether!