As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New 110v A/C Units, 220v wall sockets, breaker trips when both are on now.

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
So my apartment recently FINALLY replaced some 25+ year-old wall AC units.

Great!

Unfortunately, these new units don't use the same voltage as the old ones, and are therefore plugged into the standard wall sockets at the moment instead of the 220v located near each. Because of this, they trip the breakers if they're both on at the same time, since the circuit setup was initially designed to have each A/C unit on a completely separate circut.

Not great!

Is there any way I can adapt these units to plug into the nearby 220v wall-sockets or otherwise take care of the breaker-tripping on my own, or is this a job for an electrician that I'm gonna need to contact my landlady about?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    This really sounds like the land ladies issue but maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Converter-220-240-110/dp/B001ES8YY6

I wouldn't be happy with that thing being a constant thing though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    This is something you definitely want to go through the landlady for. It sounds like you didn't purchase the AC units -- so even if there was an option, I wouldn't want to do anything that might damage the units in some way and be on the hook for them. One of the perks of renting is letting someone else sort out these kinds of problems!

• Options
    Blaaaah I was just hoping there was a convenient permanent adapter because WELL we got this shit installed in early August...

After asking about it in early May.

You know, to make sure the units were ready for the summer.

Blurgh oh well time to start to the long march.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Blaaaah I was just hoping there was a convenient permanent adapter because WELL we got this shit installed in early August...

After asking about it in early May.

You know, to make sure the units were ready for the summer.

Blurgh oh well time to start to the long march.

You've all winter! I'm sure they'll be thinking about maybe calling an electrician by next summer.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    This really sounds like the land ladies issue but maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Converter-220-240-110/dp/B001ES8YY6

I wouldn't be happy with that thing being a constant thing though.

The product linked is rated for the equivalent of a bright light bulb. I'm quite certain the AC unit would be a much higher load.

OP, get your landlady involved and she should either buy the right unit or get an electrician involved.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    You'd need to post make/model information on them.

Lots of equipment is made to run on dual voltages 110/220 or 220/480 but not all of it.

If the equipment is good for it, changing the plug is pretty trivial to do, but if you don't own them I wouldn't go cutting the plugs off.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Also, if you didn't know to look for the dual voltage rating you probably shouldn't be the one changing the plug anyways. (Not a knock on your knowledge/abilities, just a suggestion)

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Also, if you didn't know to look for the dual voltage rating you probably shouldn't be the one changing the plug anyways. (Not a knock on your knowledge/abilities, just a suggestion)

Oh yeah I was hoping for like "buy a ____ and it'll adapt" as in you know Euro/American plug adapters. Clearly it's a more involved situation.

Just... dangit I was so hoping not to deal with this for a solid 6 months straight.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So my apartment recently FINALLY replaced some 25+ year-old wall AC units.

Great!

Unfortunately, these new units don't use the same voltage as the old ones, and are therefore plugged into the standard wall sockets at the moment instead of the 220v located near each. Because of this, they trip the breakers if they're both on at the same time, since the circuit setup was initially designed to have each A/C unit on a completely separate circut.

Not great!

Is there any way I can adapt these units to plug into the nearby 220v wall-sockets or otherwise take care of the breaker-tripping on my own, or is this a job for an electrician that I'm gonna need to contact my landlady about?

This is an Amps issue not a voltage issue. The circuit your AC is shared and is likely only 15 amp. Considering a reasonably sized wall AC unit uses between 8 and 15 amps. Also keep in mind that converting 220volt circuit into 110 will require twice as many amps for the same amount of power, so a conversion item may not be appropriate.

An electrician is best for this job. It'll cost about 300-450 depending on the area. See if you can have it done and have the Land Lady reimburse you or have it credited against your rent.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Yeah what's happening is when both cycle on from "low" it cranks up over your amperage limit on your circuit (they are both on the same circuit).

So if both are let's say, 10 amps on full power, and both kick on at once to cool down, you're now using 20 amps of a 15 amp circuit, which will trip the circuit breaker so you don't start a fire.

While it's on low they both may use less than 8 amps together, but the compressor probably kicks it on like you're running a hairdryer.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me