As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West Staff Pin Trading

Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
Schedule is up, this year it is on day one, Friday the 2nd, at 4pm.

I don't like it. During expo hours, on the first day. Gonna be a race to pick up enough pins to be able to trade for all the staff pins. Either that or drop the money on others to trade.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind that if you're going hard for pins early in the AM, and you are lucky with line times, you could always fodder out. The Blizzard pin, for example, could be traded for anywhere from 4-12 pins, depending on "value" (using Iron Horde vs Hearthstone Cards for reference).

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    I have some left over Polygons and a couple other older pins. Probably will try and convert them into multiple whatevers.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    And it's scheduled so that you have to miss Automata, Chris Perkins, Scott Kurtz, and Gearbox. I know eliminating all conflicts is impossible, but without shoving in Thornwatch I don't know that could have been much worse.

• Options
    youngeric86@gmail.comyoungeric86@gmail.com Registered User regular
    What should I expect from this and how can I make the most out of the event. Since PAX South I have spent some time and money trying to collect a bunch of pins. But this will be my first trading event.

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    And it's scheduled so that you have to miss Automata, Chris Perkins, Scott Kurtz, and Gearbox. I know eliminating all conflicts is impossible, but without shoving in Thornwatch I don't know that could have been much worse.
    Purely speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they schedule it "poorly" to lower the demand on the event. We saw what happened last year when Staff Trading was at a convenient time... You weren't an hour and a half early? Sorry, you wouldn't be getting a spot (although that was also partially due to a poorly set up area being shared with Markiplier).

In any case, the same type of situation happened at East and I actually preferred it that way. You could walk into the staff trading line at any time during the two hours and have a spot. It's a compromise but in my opinion the outcome is way better than the clusterfuck that was Prime 15 staff trading.

Lazorz on
  • Options
    misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Lazorz wrote: »
    Purely speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they schedule it "poorly" to lower the demand on the event. We saw what happened last year when Staff Trading was at a convenient time... You weren't an hour and a half early? Sorry, you wouldn't be getting a spot (although that was also partially due to a poorly set up area being shared with Markiplier).

In any case, the same type of situation happened at East and I actually preferred it that way. You could walk into the staff trading line at any time during the two hours and have a spot. It's a compromise but in my opinion the outcome is way better than the clusterfuck that was Prime 15 staff trading.
    It's pretty much guaranteed to be due to this exact reason. Spreading all of the high audience density stuff over the same hour(s) forces people to choose, so (in theory) nothing will be overloaded.

misskass on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    misskass wrote: »

It's pretty much guaranteed to be due to this exact reason. Spreading all of the high audience density stuff over the same hour(s) forces people to choose, so (in theory) nothing will be overloaded.

All day Friday it seems like they're trying to get people out of Expo: Twitch panel, Markiplier, Pewdiepie, pin trading, etc. Expo might not be terrible!

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    Make the choice that's best for you.
    At East I had to miss staff trading and some other panels I wanted to intend. It's the nature of pax.
    But don't let pin collecting stop you from going to something that you have top on your list.
    You do have 4 days of pax. Sometimes you might get lucky and see staff trading near Main merch in the convention center.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    misskass wrote: »

All day Friday it seems like they're trying to get people out of Expo: Twitch panel, Markiplier, Pewdiepie, pin trading, etc. Expo might not be terrible!

All day every day, their goal is to get people out of the Convention Center. That is the core problem of running PAX. Too many people? Shut down by Fire Marshall.

• Options
    thefawnnthefawnn Draws pictures and loves Gabe seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    What should I expect from this and how can I make the most out of the event. Since PAX South I have spent some time and money trying to collect a bunch of pins. But this will be my first trading event.

Staff trading is super fun! :) The staff sits with a collection of pins in front of them, typically a mixture of a large amount of their own staff pins, a medium amount of "fodder" (common pins you can trade up for), and a couple rarer pins -- though the rare pins do get snatched up very quickly, so keep a sharp eye! Trading here follows the rules of staff trading elsewhere; only two trades per staff member. You can trade with what's on their table in front of them AND what's on their lanyard. Some staff do little games or raffles, though at the busier PAXen we don't see it as much due to time constraints and crowd size.

It's a great way to get to chat with staff, get the staff pins you need, and try to find some non-staff pins you don't have yet. It's also an awesome place to get to know the members of the community (tons of trading in the line!). Arm yourself with a good amount of fodder and get ready to have fun! :)

thefawnn on
  • Options
    LetMeInLetMeIn Registered User regular
    I enjoy the event more for the fact that I get to meet most the team of Penny Arcade. The pins and games are only a bonus but I really just want to meet all the staff including the ones without the pins. I don't even know how many times I sent in email and got Nathan to help me out with an order or send out my Club PA pin. I also love getting everyone autograph