Is this [Love]?

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    @Angelina @Liiya my carefully planned campaign against the spare bedroom and lack of richness thereof has begun! Oh good the tiny bits of resin and metal...

LiiyaAngelina
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    @Angelina @Liiya my carefully planned campaign against the spare bedroom and lack of richness thereof has begun! Oh good the tiny bits of resin and metal...

Hooray!!

AngelinaSolar
  • godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Aaaaaaand silence.

Oh well.

:bro:

AngelinaHacksaw
  • AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular

Remind me that I need to pack my own pillow case!

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Hello love thread

I've gotten to the point in my struggle to get good sleep that if I even think about falling asleep I get anxious about falling asleep and thus my heart accelerates and my stress response activates and I cannot fall asleep

Help

I miss feeling rested

poo
    Veldrin
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Hello love thread

I've gotten to the point in my struggle to get good sleep that if I even think about falling asleep I get anxious about falling asleep and thus my heart accelerates and my stress response activates and I cannot fall asleep

Help

I miss feeling rested

A lot of factors can affect your sleep. If you have a bad mattress that could be causing you to sleep poorly, which in turn would feed your anxiousness about sleeping, which further compromises your sleep. Do you go to bed at a regular time? Have any routines you follow in the half-hour or so before going to bed? Eat or drink?

Without specifics I can make some general recommendations that may or may not apply.
    • Set a normal sleep schedule. Even if you're not strictly tired, go to bed at the same time every night (if possible) and also get up at the same time every morning. Eventually your body should notice the pattern and start working with you on it.
    • Don't do anything with a screen before bed. Put on some soothing music and read, or even just lay in bed listening to it. Something relaxing, preferably something that can take your mind off your sleep problems. The trick is to find something that works for you, to relax you and help ease your body out of active mode.
    • Maybe get a white noise machine of some sort. I find that if I'm feeling anxious, hearing all the ambient noise in my house does not help and really just kicks my brain into overdrive, so I keep a fan running next to my bed. The static noise gives me something to focus on that isn't so distracting and helps clear my head.

Oh and I'd be remiss in the tea thread to not also suggest looking into a relaxing herbal tea. There are several out there that are specifically targeted at aiding sleep. Even if there's no medical reason that sort of thing would work, I find the ritual of having a cup at night to be soothing.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

durandal4532AngelinaSorcebuilderr0rtynicGoatmonHacksawZonugal
  • SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Just laying it all out there, huh

Guys have to learn how to show some class.

Check it...

"Excuse me, miss. If you were a mythological creature you'd be a Medusa, because one look at you and I get hard as a rock."

See? References to Greek mythology make you seem knowledgable and interesting.

Education is classy.

AngelinaGoatmonlonelyahavaGoldenSeducerknitdanGatsbyZonugalTofystedeth
  • AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Just laying it all out there, huh

Guys have to learn how to show some class.

Check it...

"Excuse me, miss. If you were a mythological creature you'd be a Medusa, because one look at you and I get hard as a rock."

See? References to Greek mythology make you seem knowledgable and interesting.

Education is classy.

Now that I'd probably reply to!

Darth Waiterbuilderr0rchrishallett83NijaJoolanderSolarUsagilonelyahavaHacksawGoldenSeducerASimPersonZonugalTofystedeth
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    While talking about how Sausage Party didn't pay animators and how wage theft is never looked into even though it's often significantly more damaging than petty theft which we do consider a priority she said "yeah you know when you think about it no one really wants to see HOW THE SAUSAGE GETS MADE" and I made sure to let her know that that was amazing but also she needed to live on an island forever now

While talking about Pokemon I told her I had caught a Seviper and named it Ssssssssteven and she said "God you're amazing"

Take a moment to donate what you can to the International Rescue Committee, the National Immigration Law Center, the Southern Poverty Law Center, and the American Civil Liberties Union. There has never been a more urgent moment to do so.
    OmnipotentBagelBlake TVeldrinSnicketysnickbuilderr0rOpposingFarceStraightziInfidelchromdomProlegomenaSporkAndrewNeoTomasarukunSkeithUsagilonelyahavaHacksawGoldenSeducerASimPersonGatsbyZonugalTofystedethMadEddy
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    While talking about how Sausage Party didn't pay animators and how wage theft is never looked into even though it's often significantly more damaging than petty theft which we do consider a priority she said "yeah you know when you think about it no one really wants to see HOW THE SAUSAGE GETS MADE" and I made sure to let her know that that was amazing but also she needed to live on an island forever now

While talking about Pokemon I told her I had caught a Seviper and named it Ssssssssteven and she said "God you're amazing"

Marry this person.

Darth WaiterSorceXaquinSnicketysnickbuilderr0rStraightzichrishallett83LiiyaGoatmonSolarNeoTomasarukunwebguy20SkeithUsagiHacksawGoldenSeducerGatsbyZonugalAlanF5Tofystedeth
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm a little late, but in my opinion, if it's too early for banjo, it's too late for a relationship.

That's rule number one in dating.

sarukunHacksaw
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I'm a little late, but in my opinion, if it's too early for banjo, it's too late for a relationship.

If anything, it's too late for banjo. There hasn't been a good game in that series since, like 2000.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

XaquinGoatmon
    edited August 2016
    i know all the sleep hygiene things and generally do them
    white noise machine
    dark shades
    nice sheets
    cold room

my sleep schedule is very consistent, so consistent that i cannot sleep outside of the hours that i typically sleep

it's just that whenever i really try to sleep then my mind thinks about sleep and then i cannot sleep
    so how i sleep without thinking about sleep is the tricky bit

if i come home exhausted from something and immediately get in bed i will usually pass out

if i am thinking about it in any capacity it is no bueno - e.g. if i am like man i'm tired or i got an important thing tomorrow, i gotta get a good night of sleep tonight, then i won't

the irony of it

i should probably read or listen to something boring to distract myself

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Have you tried some light meditation before you sleep

5myiokloks5d.png
    VeldrinKakodaimonosLiiya
    i know all the sleep hygiene things and generally do them
    white noise machine
    dark shades
    nice sheets
    cold room

my sleep schedule is very consistent, so consistent that i cannot sleep outside of the hours that i typically sleep

it's just that whenever i really try to sleep then my mind thinks about sleep and then i cannot sleep
    so how i sleep without thinking about sleep is the tricky bit

if i come home exhausted from something and immediately get in bed i will usually pass out

if i am thinking about it in any capacity it is no bueno - e.g. if i am like man i'm tired or i got an important thing tomorrow, i gotta get a good night of sleep tonight, then i won't

the irony of it

i should probably read or listen to something boring to distract myself

Hmm, might need to talk to a professional who can help you work out what's actually at the root of that anxiety. Can probably also help you work on specific techniques for trying to deal with it, too. Outside of that, have you tried meditation, or, like, ASMR or something? Some way to try and clear your head?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I take non prescription sleeping pills.

I have a hard time getting to sleep too.

I have restless leg syndrome and am on prescription pills for that, and those pills are supposed to cause drowsiness, but they don't.

I'm on prescription pills for asthma, and those are supposed to cause drowsiness too, and they don't.

So I take two leg pills, an asthma pill, a sleeping pill, and wash it down with a nasty cheap beer.

Gets me about five hours of sleep out of sight hours in bed.

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I've been practising light meditation for the past few months and, while it hasn't really improved my actual bouts of insomnia, it has helped me get into a decent head-clearing nothing box routine.

So I reckon give it a go, Shaz.

yeah that's not a bad idea

i do daily meditation but in the morning, meditation is the best

should do it at night too

poo
    Dedpuppybuilderr0r
  • GoatmonGoatmon Property of Amara_P Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

If anything, it's too late for banjo. There hasn't been a good game in that series since, like 2000.

On that subject, the team working on Yooka Laylee released a fun demo for their backers a couple weeks ago.

It's pretty solid! I can't wait for the real game. <3

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• sarukunsarukun Mr. Bulldopps Get SchwiftyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    too soon for banjo too soon for banjo

Lead with banjo or go the fuck home.

Edit: Money where my mouth is.

sarukun on
    XaquinNitsua
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

It's the perfect toy to give a niece or nephew.

Holy.

Shit.

If I get this for my niece, my sister will have me eviscerated by ninja rhinos.

Shazkar Shadowstorm
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    yeah I turned that off pretty quickly. extremely unpleasant to listen to and not nearly as good as the melodica one

Jars on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular

This one is pretty great.

Magic Pinksarukun
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    those things legit crack me up

ArtereisXaquinsarukunVeldrinAlanF5Skunty
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Yeah, finding out they exist made my life just a little bit better. Apparently that Nelson kid is the only decent player on the internet, though.

• HowToBeSingleHowToBeSingle Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    HowToBeSingle on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    You probably want H/A

edit just because that is literally the environment for this type of advice seeking and also alternate accounts for anonymity

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
    OmnipotentBagelsarukuntynicJoolanderLaOsStraightziAngelinaMagic PinkSkeith
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If you want different things, your relationship will not work.

I play games on ps3 and ps4. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    She broke your trust by sleeping with a guy after you explicitly said you didn't want a committed relationship and "shot her down twice"?

Howtobesingle indeed.

StraightziAngelinaMagic PinkDrZiplockDecomposeyNeoTomaSkeithtynicSolarUsagiHacksawVeldrinchrishallett83ASimPersonZonugal
    For what it's worth, this person sounds like they are pretty convinced they can do whatever they want and you'll roll over for it. I'm all for giving chances, but nobody gets two chances.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

My previous relationship kinda made me paranoid, as I found out by checking my girlfriends phone that she was flirting with another guy who very much wanted to nail her and that she was going to meet him, none of which she told me.

Which is why I did exactly this, again. And I found out that she kept from me that she had unprotected sex with the guy I knew about. Trust broken Nr. 1.

It is NEVER ok to check someone else's phone. You broke the trust first, not her.

And she's not cheating on you if it was only "friendship plus"; you were very clear that you didn't want more than that and so she did what she wanted as well. You can't hold her actions against her when they happened before you even decided to start a relationship.

She seems to have a lot more to complain about than you do, to be frank.

XaquinStraightziDecomposeyLaOsSkeithtynicUsagilonelyahavaPsykomabuilderr0rHacksawVeldrinNijaSorcechrishallett83ASimPerson
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Well first of all stop spying on other peoples phones. That's all kinds of wrong.

Second of all, when people tell you they think you shouldn't talk for a while, respect that. You thinking about her all the time is not an excuse to disregard her boundaries.

Third of all STOP SPYING ON HER CHATS. That is the behavior of either an abusive partner or a stalker. Are you an abusive partner or a stalker? I hope the answer is no. So stop acting like one.

Fourth of all, she had sex with a guy when you were admittedly broken up. Unprotected or not, that is her right, and you don't get to say 'trust broken!' because your EX friend-with-benefits slept with a dude. She was your EX friend-with-benefits when that happened. She should be your EX friend-with-benefits still because:

Fifth of all, she doesn't want to be in a relationship with you. Realize this and move on.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    sarukunMagic PinkXaquinStraightziDouglasDangerAngelinaLaOsKwoaruSkeithtynicUsagilonelyahavaSolarPsykomaHacksawVeldrinNijaSorcechrishallett83ASimPersonMulletude
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Let me just check and make sure I have this timeline straight

- More than a few months ago, you get out of a serious relationship (during which your girlfriend may have intended to cheat on you, something that you discovered by breaking her trust, but I'm not going to get too much into that)
    - A few months ago, you meet a new person who you really like
    - You go on two dates with her, sleep with her, but decide that you just want to be friends, even though she is your "soulmate"
    - She proceeds to continue dating other people, with your knowledge
    - She sleeps with one of the other people that she is dating (this, she doesn't tell you about)
    - You violate her privacy, checking her phone and finding out that she slept with a person that she is dating
    - You confront her about this, and she is very upset, as she thought that you would stop being friends with her if you found out that she slept with someone who she was dating

I don't even want to go on

This seemed like a good idea at first, but good lord man

You are being horrifically manipulative of someone else, I do not know what to say

Get out now, for her sake, and reassess your dang life

XaquinMagic PinkDecomposeyAngelinaLaOsKwoaruSkeithlonelyahavaPsykomabuilderr0rHacksawSorcechrishallett83ZonugalMulletude
    This... doesn't feel like an entirely appropriate use of this thread. Like Kwoaru said, it's more of an H/A matter and also this situation is way more complex and serious than the usual level of friendly advice and encouragement we traffic in. I don't want to see this thread shut down.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

XaquinAngelinaGizzytyniclonelyahavagodmode
  • HowToBeSingleHowToBeSingle Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Well I guess I won't be replying here, due to not wanting to drag this out. If you want me to reply please do so in the H/A chat I'll open! Thanks for the replys anyways!

Edit: At least this I want to say, I'm really glad to have made this post because god damn, I have actually legitimately felt being in the right here... and... you're all right...

HowToBeSingle on
    Palette cleanser, my buddies I went out with over the weekend say they know a girl I could meet, so maybe a blind date in a week or two here, that should be fun.

This weekend is hang outs with an old dancing buddy, though. I wanted to meet her husband but he's in Germany, so her and a friend of hers and I are off to the "Taipei Beer and Music" festival. Should be fun.

Last weekend the ex and I confirmed that the "break" is in fact a break up and I am still super sad about it.

Miitomo asked what I would want a significant other to call me and it just bummed me right the fuck out.

durandal4532
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    and reassess your dang life

*Waves hand* You do not want to sell me Death Sticks...

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    Butler
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Today everything was super natural between the two of us despite (or maybe because of?) how emotionally intense last night was and I'm really glad. She had to shoot off to go meet up with an old uni friend but she specifically came and found me while I was making a round of drinks for a quiet hug and hand squeeze which was really cute. Gah this damn woman, when she says and does nice things I just go all funny!

SkeithLiiyachromdomDouglasDangerXaquinAngelinabuilderr0rGoldenSeducerSorceASimPersonRandy ButternubbsZonugal
    Today everything was super natural between the two of us despite (or maybe because of?) how emotionally intense last night was and I'm really glad. She had to shoot off to go meet up with an old uni friend but she specifically came and found me while I was making a round of drinks for a quiet hug and hand squeeze which was really cute. Gah this damn woman, when she says and does nice things I just go all funny!

So, like, office supplies levitating, reading each others' minds, ghosts, that sort of thing?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

SolarTofystedethPeas
  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Went to a wedding this past weekend with my girlfriend. Throughout the night, I had a bunch of my friends come up and tell me that they really like her (first big event where she spent a lot of time interacting with a lot of my friends) and that they hadn't seen me this happy in a while.

KwoaruchromdomDouglasDangerdurandal4532AngelinahonovereDedpuppybuilderr0rShenwebguy20lonelyahavaSkeithsarukun
This discussion has been closed.