As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yet ANOTHER girly painting in need of critique

AsbestoniaAsbestonia Registered User new member
edited November 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys, new to this forum and really impressed by your art and attitude toward giving thorough critiques. A really nice change from the stale cotton candy dished out by the majority of deviantart users.

Wondering if I can get some suggestions or critique for this half finished painting that had been annoying for a while now. No matter what I do to it, it still doesn't look right and can't pinpoint why. Any comments or suggestions about color choice, form or potential background would be really welcome. Thanks in advance.

chick2.jpg

Asbestonia on

• Options
    RusticCreatureRusticCreature Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The dress is fantastically rendered. And the knees are well done, too (was this ref'd?). Really the only things I see wrong with this are with the face and hands. The face seems flat and the hair is poorly rendered, which makes it stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of this piece, and her left hand is held at an odd angle.

I'd suggest finding a good ref for the hands, and I would just scrap the head completely and start over, focusing more on construction this time.

But, yeah. This has the potential to be a really great piece, and it would look ten times better if you'd fix those two, relatively simple problems.

Ah, I just noticed the feet are pointing down too far. It makes her look like she's floating.

RusticCreature on
  • Options
    lifeartistlifeartist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Unless I am mistaken, her knee caps are at different levels, which is quite bizzare looking. thats the one glaring thing I see.

lifeartist on
  • Options
    PottersGirl7PottersGirl7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd go with a black almost vine like background, maybe do it in white first so you'd have a little bit of a glow around it.

PottersGirl7 on
    atukkk.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The face seems too "shopped on"

It needs to be blended a bit better.

Her right arm (viewrs left) also seems a but chunky.

Beautifully done though.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    ph00lph00l Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The arms lack the shading that make the legs convincing, namely clear highlights and reflected light. Her left arm looks quite flat and her right looks quite monotone.

ph00l on
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Left hand fingers look a little symetrical, looks off. Does the left leg suppose to be stepping forward? If so, i think the leg should be shorter. I assume this because of the high knee cap.

Other then what's been said, that's about it. Looks good though. Just those little errors that sorta make it out of Porportion (sp?)

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Before I go to general nitpicking, Theres something you should first know, Knees, are never, ever that far away from each other unless you are literally doing a lift/stretch with the knee, generally they are ALWAYS equal level. When walking, standing, or tilting pressure on to another leg. The knee would end near the other one then the foot would be a bit higher up if shes resting more pressure on the right leg. Secondly I'll presume she is resting on the left leg, otherwise the picture is entirely off which means... Well.. Her right leg is a mutation exceptionally long.

If she isn't supporting the weight on her left leg then that will lead to a two additional paragraph rant of Hip angle + Body leaning to support the center of gravity.

Anyways as for the rest, her left arm is done very 2-demensionally, The reason why it ends there is because its aiming out more forward, which means that in general, the arm itself will not shrink as it draws closer even though the wrist is indeed smaller, so it looks as if she has a shrunken left arm.

Also, of course she looks like she is a blond... Who just escaped her special edd class because of that arm. The shoulder bones are offly angled.

One of the last things is her eyes are far to wide open, you should never be able to see her entire iris like that when casually looking, some people do have abormally big and open shiny eyeballs, (Like me) but in her current position and how shes looking, her eyes would be more closed. It would just look more natural.

Also, why is her right ear missing?

Edit: Oh right forgot, her right shoulder looks like she is trying to shake off a cramp. Far to high up makes it look stiff.

Oh.. forgot to mention, its not that her right arm is to big, its just that her left is a shrivelled up raisin

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is it just the way the face is done or is her hairline pretty high up?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SideBurnsSideBurns Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    I'd gray down the white in the dress since places that shift from really dark to really light tend to be distracting. I'd make it darker than the face because, I'm assuming that, that's were you want people to focus on. This could also be the reason that the face and arms look flat.
    Also try and mimic her pose, because the way she's positioned, like the way the hand on her left is bent, are really uncomforable.

SideBurns on