As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    48 Slots Achieved.

Can't get past a 24 slot ship, though; I may need to venture deeper into the galaxy, it seems to be hard-capping crashed ships for me right now. I'm not that many jumps in, though.

Crashed ships will never be better than 1 slot over your current, thus the previous discussion about farming crashed ships to deliberately cap out on the cheap.

I know. I have a 24 slot ship. I got a string of crashed 23-24 slot ships, so I moved to a new system.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    So now that I'm looking for it, I can see that the texture lod scaling is sort of fucked. If I look straight down the textures are nice, but as I look a medium or long distance away at the ground I can see clear markers of degradation. It will be nice if they can fix that, as it seems like it drops off to blurry way too soon, and I can see the textures clearing up as I walk towards them.

My GeForce optimization apparently fixed this. "Improves the sharpness of textures, especially those viewed at a distance or low viewing angle". I can neither confirm nor deny if it's true. But it specifically makes the claim pointing at a screenshot of NMS.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    48 Slots Achieved.

Can't get past a 24 slot ship, though; I may need to venture deeper into the galaxy, it seems to be hard-capping crashed ships for me right now. I'm not that many jumps in, though.

Crashed ships will never be better than 1 slot over your current, thus the previous discussion about farming crashed ships to deliberately cap out on the cheap.

I know. I have a 24 slot ship. I got a string of crashed 23-24 slot ships, so I moved to a new system.

String of how many?

This is the first I've heard of it capping out, but then, the game is new.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    So now that I'm looking for it, I can see that the texture lod scaling is sort of fucked. If I look straight down the textures are nice, but as I look a medium or long distance away at the ground I can see clear markers of degradation. It will be nice if they can fix that, as it seems like it drops off to blurry way too soon, and I can see the textures clearing up as I walk towards them.

LOD is typically used when speaking of 3D models, swapping in lower quality ones with less polys and worse textures as it's further from the player. It sounds like what you're talking about is the texture filtering method.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

LOD is typically used when speaking of 3D models, swapping in lower quality ones with less polys and worse textures as it's further from the player. It sounds like what you're talking about is the texture filtering method.

I would say it's not that, as I have anisotropic filtering at 16x and this looks a lot different than not having anisotropic filtering on. I hit a certain point when walking when a texture will noticeably improve in front of me; not in a smooth way like anisotropic filtering going on and off.

It's old, but doom 3 appears to agree with me as it being a thing. It certainly appears to be one here.

I've already used the GeForce optimization tool on it as well. It looks like what Figgy is describing is also just anisotropic filtering, which I've definitely had on since the start. It's a pretty key setting to always have on 16x.

If anyone cares enough to look, hop on Steam and I can put up a stream to show you.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    So I warped to my first B class star... not a great set of planets really. So I took a black hole 1.3 million light years closer to the center and I'm going to try again.

For those searching for hyperdrive upgrades to go to higher class systems, from what I can tell the different class of systems aren't locked off by your hyperdrive capability (I hadn't got my Theta hyperdrive upgrade installed when I went to that system). It's more a dependence on what distance it is to that system and whether your current hyperdrive spec can take you there in one jump. If it can't then I believe you can set a waypoint and then do multiple jumps to get yourself there.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I haven't had the crashed ships cap out yet. I bought a 25-slot ship previously and now I'm up to 29 in a short period of time by just bouncing between transmission towers in this one system.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    It's good to know that crashed ships are only ever one slot better: I was holding out on upgrading forever because I didn't want to deal with transferring ships unless it was a big upgrade, but now that I know that I may as well go wild.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    There'll be a (slightly stuttery...) video later, but for now, just know that big creatures are in:
    wU1SJpq.jpg
    5EiuiXM.jpg

(I make no guarantees about the sand worm or the whale shark though)

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So I warped to my first B class star... not a great set of planets really. So I took a black hole 1.3 million light years closer to the center and I'm going to try again.

For those searching for hyperdrive upgrades to go to higher class systems, from what I can tell the different class of systems aren't locked off by your hyperdrive capability (I hadn't got my Theta hyperdrive upgrade installed when I went to that system). It's more a dependence on what distance it is to that system and whether your current hyperdrive spec can take you there in one jump. If it can't then I believe you can set a waypoint and then do multiple jumps to get yourself there.

They are, I'm right next to a green star I can't get to because I don't have a good hyper drive (it's 1 jump away).

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Stars are definitely limited by your hyperdrive, it's not a distance thing

• Options
    Then I really don't understand how I was able to warp to a B class system without the Theta drive.

All I had was the hyperdrive node, a gap then both the sigma and tau next to each other beneath it.

• Options
    I basically hunted crashed ships all the way from 23 slots up to 48. I'm confident it's cheaper and quicker unless you've found a real goldmine planet (Emeril/Chrysonite abundance is faster than Vortex Cubes). You can also work it into your normal exploration very easily, so you don't have to grind it all out at once.

Just stock up on Heridium and Iron; you'll need a fair whack of both for repairs, but luckily neither are hard to come by.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man the planet im on has giant spires of gold on the surface but patrols of pirates everywhere. But I was able to get a bigger ship and almost back up to 1mil from the profits.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Then I really don't understand how I was able to warp to a B class system without the Theta drive.

All I had was the hyperdrive node, a gap then both the sigma and tau next to each other beneath it.

I'm going to go with either "bug" or "it evaluated you some other way". Like, you are a player with full inventory slots and a shit-ton of money, so maybe the game just says "dis dood can enter".

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So I just found the tiniest creature ever. If you squint maybe you can see it. Interestingly enough, it flies but didn't require me killing it to scan.

WEmzu65.jpg

Also, that enormous emeril deposit I was carving out? I went back to a trade post with like 14 slots full of it, and when I came back, I saw that parts of it... had regenerated. It was whole again on the outside but then I drilled a hole into it and saw the huge chasm I had carved out from inside it. So yeah, that kind of made me shrug and give up on it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp2XQuo68Yg

The stuttering is because NMS eats all your CPU for the half-second while it loads in new details, which makes recording this on PC very difficult unless you're capturing to another device (which I am not) or you have a real beast of a machine (which I don't).

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So I just found the tiniest creature ever. If you squint maybe you can see it. Interestingly enough, it flies but didn't require me killing it to scan.

WEmzu65.jpg

Also, that enormous emeril deposit I was carving out? I went back to a trade post with like 14 slots full of it, and when I came back, I saw that parts of it... had regenerated. It was whole again on the outside but then I drilled a hole into it and saw the huge chasm I had carved out from inside it. So yeah, that kind of made me shrug and give up on it.

Resources look like they regenerate, but its just a display issue. I get the same thing with void cubes but they vanish when I aim at them.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

You can scan birds without killing them. It just requires you to perfectly track them with your scanner for a good 5 seconds straight for some reason. Which makes it take a lot longer (and probably impossible with a controller) because they are drunk and really tough to keep the reticle on them.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    It's bizarrely random; I use a 360 controller and I just have to keep the reticule sort of on them and eventually it triggers. Maybe it is X number of seconds, maybe that number goes up with distance, who knows.

Also I really wish I had more time to play this game. This planet is nice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkkVxezzbWc
    Lots of jetpack practice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeSolgRejac
    And whoever posted the beast with too many legs... you've not seen anything yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4ScI2taxI
    (keep in mind these are all on medium settings, because my poor pc is ol')

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I found a moon that has greatly changed the state of the economy.
    It's covered in vortex cubes, has no flora or fauna, plenty of plutonium, minimal sentinels, and a shelter with a galactic trading terminal.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I have a planet and its moon that has Gravitino Balls all over, and the space station in the system buys them at +103%, and I got it where they stack up to 100

I'm rich

Honestly it's pretty fun scooping them up while escaping the Sentinels, fuck the space police

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I found a nice snow planet with lots of moops and some gold and just sort of zoned out for a couple of hours. I think I discovered how the game is meant to be played, but now I don't really want to leave this planet.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I found a nice snow planet with lots of moops and some gold and just sort of zoned out for a couple of hours. I think I discovered how the game is meant to be played, but now I don't really want to leave this planet.

Oh it's fantastic like that. I just put on a podcast when I have to do something mundane like farm the same thing over and over for a set purpose and just zoned out. Admittedly, farming the same thing over and over again isn't all that mundane for me most of the time as I'm being chased by stuff :p

• Options
    I wish this felt like there was a point to it though. Let me be saving up for that damn hyperdrive!

The main reason I'm enjoying it now: I have plenty of inventory space and my mining laser doesn't constantly need to cool down. My life support lasts a really long time. I'm not constantly managing bars and can actually play the game

It's where the game should start, not end.

• Options
    I spent a chunk of tonight pulling Vortex Cubes out of a massive cave system right next to a trading post on a radioactive storm world.

After that, the next world was just a bit hot, but had drop pods. I finished off my exosuit inventory upgrades AND got lucky and got a 23 slot Multi-tool thanks to the system Anomaly. I also repaired a bunch of ships and went from 25-30 slots there.

Checking out the final world in the system, I found this.
    iubmoPg.jpg?1

This is literally the first planet in like the 16 or so since my starter world that has had grass. Also it's not toxic or nothing. I'll probably do more ship hunting here.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    It's taken me a while to formulate what I think about this game, but this is what I left for a steam review (Not recommended, sadly):

No Man's Sky (NMS) had a lot of promise, hype and speculation before its release, which sadly the game has ultimately not been able to live up to. For a game that promised 18 quintillion planets, it offered a seemingly endless amount of space to explore, experience, exploit and expand into. Unfortunately, what's on offer in the final product is a game that offers a dramatic sense of scale, coupled with an amazingly technical backbone, which ultimately doesn't put anything worth really experiencing inside of that product. As vast as the universe in No Man's Sky actually is, what you will actually get is a repetitive experience, copying mostly the same 3-4 actions across any world and with only a handful of alien races to interact with.

To begin with, what No Man's Sky actually succeeds in is a sense of scale that's unprecedented. You really can go almost anywhere and visit anything you can see. From barren moons, to frozen wastes and then to the depths of oceanic paradise worlds - if you can see something from a planet, you can get in your ship to go there. This is by far the most amazing element of NMS and for many, it's more than enough to carry them through the experience. Every new world offers an opportunity to find new resources to mine, upgrades for your suit, ship or other systems and see potentially dangerous or fascinating creatures to scan. Once you find a system, planet, creature or formation you can name it whatever you want to upload it - essentially claiming the discovery for yourself.

This is by far where NMS shines, but it's not long after the sheen of this aspect of the game wears thin that the flaws begin to show. For one thing, while there is a universe of endless planets out there, the actual things you do on them are very limited. Mostly, NMS repeats the same exact types of gameplay mechanics on any world you visit. The same prefab buildings exist on every world, with often the same one of three (possibly more) alien species manning a desk. Here is where one of the first artificial constraints on the interactions available in NMS begin: Outside of talking to an alien to do a three option guessing game, you really cannot do very much in these places as it disables your weapons. Sometimes you can trade or sell things, or offer to buy a visiting creatures ship if you hang around a facility with a landing pad, but otherwise that's generally the gist of things.

More notably, even after a handful of hours of gameplay I began to notice that many of these "choose an option" things are quite repetitive. It doesn't take long for alien factories, facilities and similar to start repeating similar kinds of puzzles or options. This is especially important to learn, as is figuring out what an aliens language or culture is like, because if you fail these options you can miss out on important things. Alien manufacturing facilities, for example, often have blueprints to new items you can construct. If you fail to get these little dialog puzzles/guessing games right, you miss out on getting the blueprint and will need to trek to another facility to have another shot.

Another thing the game encourages, but doesn't really mechanically support very well, is the bounty for scanning all the unique species on a planet. This frequently turns into a frustrating, luck based scavenger hunt and particularly if you're looking for predators (rare) or things that spawn underwater/underground (which seem especially low). Adding to the frustration, some of the mechanics designed to help you find these animals actually don't work in these underground/underwater biomes, making those rare aquatic/underground species even more difficult to locate than they otherwise should be. Simple mechanical changes to the interface and how scanning works would easily make this mechanic not feel so frustrating or time consuming.

In fact the PC interface in NMS is quite baffling in itself. The game requires you to click and hold down the mouse to interact with objects. Likewise, you constantly have to fiddle with your inventory to do simple things, like refuel a system that has run out of power, shuffle things about and similar. It's actually quite frustrating and slows the gameplay down - which is already glacially paced - quite often. Similarly, much of the interesting part of the gameplay in exploring new planets is slowed up or halted by constantly having to fiddle with refueling different things. A large part of NMS is focused on survival light mechanics, constantly needing to keep in mind having plutonium (life support, lifting off from the surface in your ship) and Theonine9 (ship engines) to get about the place. Sometimes you can be exploring but need to wander off to find some of these to move onwards. Similarly, you cannot call your ship any time you want and if you wander far away - like when scanning for new species - the best way to get your ship is to luck out finding an outpost with a hackable beacon.

This unfortunately leads to one of NMS bigger problems, which is the deeply unsatisfying combat. While your multitool can be upgraded and fitted for shooting, none of it ever feels satisfying or very fun. Enemies are sometimes quite infrequent, especially if your planet has no hostile predators, so you often never need to shoot much at all. Even when you do engage in combat, it's frequently non-life threatening and most sentinels are easily dealt with before they summon more - unless you get one bugged under the ground (where you can't shoot it to stop the alarm). Space pirates are by far the biggest initial threat, because if you run into them early before any major ship upgrades that can rapidly tear you to pieces. This is especially because of the clunky interface requiring you to manually add elements into your shield. Space combat is clunky and difficult, only marginally improved with ship upgrades, which at least make pirates non-life threatening whenever you run into them.

Overall actually, my main complaint with NMS is ironically a content one. There is just very little to actually do or see in this universe of practically infinite planets to explore. Once you have seen a few systems and explored several planets, you have seen much of what NMS has to offer. Unless you like doing the same, entirely repetitive tasks, there really isn't actually that much game in NMS. This is disappointing, because in many ways I expected a lot more from a game that was priced at $60. Sadly, NMS has the problem where it feels like a game that could be great after some more patches and development time (It's got freighters and bases coming soon). What is released feels, with its myriad of problems, bugs and other issues, a $30 early access title with the promise of actual gameplay to come. As it is, at $60, unless you really like exploring planets filled with the same 5-6 things repeatedly, I cannot recommend No Man's Sky.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It's taken me a while to formulate what I think about this game, but this is what I left for a steam review (Not recommended, sadly):

No Man's Sky (NMS) had a lot of promise, hype and speculation before its release, which sadly the game has ultimately not been able to live up to. For a game that promised 18 quintillion planets, it offered a seemingly endless amount of space to explore, experience, exploit and expand into. Unfortunately, what's on offer in the final product is a game that offers a dramatic sense of scale, coupled with an amazingly technical backbone, which ultimately doesn't put anything worth really experiencing inside of that product. As vast as the universe in No Man's Sky actually is, what you will actually get is a repetitive experience, copying mostly the same 3-4 actions across any world and with only a handful of alien races to interact with.

To begin with, what No Man's Sky actually succeeds in is a sense of scale that's unprecedented. You really can go almost anywhere and visit anything you can see. From barren moons, to frozen wastes and then to the depths of oceanic paradise worlds - if you can see something from a planet, you can get in your ship to go there. This is by far the most amazing element of NMS and for many, it's more than enough to carry them through the experience. Every new world offers an opportunity to find new resources to mine, upgrades for your suit, ship or other systems and see potentially dangerous or fascinating creatures to scan. Once you find a system, planet, creature or formation you can name it whatever you want to upload it - essentially claiming the discovery for yourself.

This is by far where NMS shines, but it's not long after the sheen of this aspect of the game wears thin that the flaws begin to show. For one thing, while there is a universe of endless planets out there, the actual things you do on them are very limited. Mostly, NMS repeats the same exact types of gameplay mechanics on any world you visit. The same prefab buildings exist on every world, with often the same one of three (possibly more) alien species manning a desk. Here is where one of the first artificial constraints on the interactions available in NMS begin: Outside of talking to an alien to do a three option guessing game, you really cannot do very much in these places as it disables your weapons. Sometimes you can trade or sell things, or offer to buy a visiting creatures ship if you hang around a facility with a landing pad, but otherwise that's generally the gist of things.

More notably, even after a handful of hours of gameplay I began to notice that many of these "choose an option" things are quite repetitive. It doesn't take long for alien factories, facilities and similar to start repeating similar kinds of puzzles or options. This is especially important to learn, as is figuring out what an aliens language or culture is like, because if you fail these options you can miss out on important things. Alien manufacturing facilities, for example, often have blueprints to new items you can construct. If you fail to get these little dialog puzzles/guessing games right, you miss out on getting the blueprint and will need to trek to another facility to have another shot.

Another thing the game encourages, but doesn't really mechanically support very well, is the bounty for scanning all the unique species on a planet. This frequently turns into a frustrating, luck based scavenger hunt and particularly if you're looking for predators (rare) or things that spawn underwater/underground (which seem especially low). Adding to the frustration, some of the mechanics designed to help you find these animals actually don't work in these underground/underwater biomes, making those rare aquatic/underground species even more difficult to locate than they otherwise should be. Simple mechanical changes to the interface and how scanning works would easily make this mechanic not feel so frustrating or time consuming.

In fact the PC interface in NMS is quite baffling in itself. The game requires you to click and hold down the mouse to interact with objects. Likewise, you constantly have to fiddle with your inventory to do simple things, like refuel a system that has run out of power, shuffle things about and similar. It's actually quite frustrating and slows the gameplay down - which is already glacially paced - quite often. Similarly, much of the interesting part of the gameplay in exploring new planets is slowed up or halted by constantly having to fiddle with refueling different things. A large part of NMS is focused on survival light mechanics, constantly needing to keep in mind having plutonium (life support, lifting off from the surface in your ship) and Theonine9 (ship engines) to get about the place. Sometimes you can be exploring but need to wander off to find some of these to move onwards. Similarly, you cannot call your ship any time you want and if you wander far away - like when scanning for new species - the best way to get your ship is to luck out finding an outpost with a hackable beacon.

This unfortunately leads to one of NMS bigger problems, which is the deeply unsatisfying combat. While your multitool can be upgraded and fitted for shooting, none of it ever feels satisfying or very fun. Enemies are sometimes quite infrequent, especially if your planet has no hostile predators, so you often never need to shoot much at all. Even when you do engage in combat, it's frequently non-life threatening and most sentinels are easily dealt with before they summon more - unless you get one bugged under the ground (where you can't shoot it to stop the alarm). Space pirates are by far the biggest initial threat, because if you run into them early before any major ship upgrades that can rapidly tear you to pieces. This is especially because of the clunky interface requiring you to manually add elements into your shield. Space combat is clunky and difficult, only marginally improved with ship upgrades, which at least make pirates non-life threatening whenever you run into them.

Overall actually, my main complaint with NMS is ironically a content one. There is just very little to actually do or see in this universe of practically infinite planets to explore. Once you have seen a few systems and explored several planets, you have seen much of what NMS has to offer. Unless you like doing the same, entirely repetitive tasks, there really isn't actually that much game in NMS. This is disappointing, because in many ways I expected a lot more from a game that was priced at $60. Sadly, NMS has the problem where it feels like a game that could be great after some more patches and development time (It's got freighters and bases coming soon). What is released feels, with its myriad of problems, bugs and other issues, a $30 early access title with the promise of actual gameplay to come. As it is, at $60, unless you really like exploring planets filled with the same 5-6 things repeatedly, I cannot recommend No Man's Sky.

How Long did you play before it started getting repetitive? And does space flight still feel clunky after fully upgrading your ship? I am only 8 hours in and haven't done that much. Still just in my second system.
    I hope basebuilding is added soon so we can leave some mark on planets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I hope basebuilding is added soon so we can leave some mark on planets.

I get the impression that changes you make to planets are only saved locally for you and don't propagate out where others can see them, and I'm not even sure how far you can go before returning to see the same changes you already made. There's inconsistent info on this, some people say if you leave the system and come back then it's already forgotten anything you did previously.

Of course that could be changed if basebuilding is added in, but I hope they have a good system in place for just saving the delta between the base planet and what you've done to it. Saves could get big pretty quickly if you just build a small hut on every planet.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Played for about an hour last night. I am glad I avoided all the media coverage/hype about this game because my expectations were not overly lofty. I was not expecting a crazy FPS or space combat game or sandworms. The experience I was hoping for was simply a story of a person a long, long ways from home (wherever that is) and the journey to return. It's invoking the same feelings I had when I watched Interstellar, which is basically the, "Oh shit, now what kind of planet are we going to discover?" feeling. And funny enough, NMS is similar to the types of games my friends and I played outside growing up, minus the animal killing and mining components. I like that there isn't a significant story (yet) and that I can tell my own story of who this person is, why they're where they are and why they want to return.

I did have an interesting experience last night that I wanted to ask the thread. On my first two planets I looked up at the sky and saw little ships like mine flying in the atmosphere. Are those NPCs or are they the fabled other players?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Today's strip is about the game, FYI.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Let me be saving up for that damn hyperdrive!

Well you're going to need a shit tonne of resources for each upgrade. Here's a spoiler with what you'll need to install each tier of upgrade, I'll leave it up to you if you want to be pre-prepared for when you obtain the blueprints or not:
    Sigma:
    1 Dynamic Resonator
    200 Iridium
    400 Copper

Tau:
    2 Dynamic Resonators
    600 Nickel
    800 Aluminium

Theta:
    3 Dynamic Resonators
    1000 Gold
    1000 Emeril

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

You can scan birds without killing them. It just requires you to perfectly track them with your scanner for a good 5 seconds straight for some reason. Which makes it take a lot longer (and probably impossible with a controller) because they are drunk and really tough to keep the reticle on them.

It's not impossible on a controller as long as you're far enough from the birds, but still in range for the scanner, and you catch the bird from the side... This is why I'm certain birds are bugged and need fixing. No other animal reacts to your scanner reticle like they do. They actively turn away from it every time and it's super annoying!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I am not blind to how much of what was actually promised (There's multiple videos of the devs saying the game will have this and that) was not delivered at all. I really hope they intend to add all that stuff in the future, but as it is currently, the game is very barebones and dull, in gameplay mechanics.

Good thing I actually enjoy the current game a lot, but I can see how some people just don't like that sort of gameplay, and based their purchase decision on videos that aren't even 4 months old that have a lot of stuff that was cut from the final game.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    678BFD9DC36F6C6025EFB1DB663FE78AB64DA314
    This moon is littered with platinum caches. I am making so many units just hopping from cache to cache and then going back to the tradepost to sell it all.

In a slightly worse off scenario I parked my ship on top of a plateau, after I jumped off I learned that it is too high and steep and I cannot get back to my ship. One of these sites will have a beacon though.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Ran across this on reddit; it's way too big to copy/paste, so just go read it. Someone compiled a list of every shown or talked about feature compared to the end product: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/ *edit* now with not-mobile-version link...

Most damning for me is that recent trailers are still showing a more feature-rich version of the game than was released. It's clear that things were heavily cut for some reason, and I don't be surprised of there's another class action, a la Colonial Marines or Sim City.

That post has now been deleted, and the OP account deleted also. There are mirrors of it around reddit, most people are speculating that the OP received too many death threats or got doxed.

• Options
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I did have an interesting experience last night that I wanted to ask the thread. On my first two planets I looked up at the sky and saw little ships like mine flying in the atmosphere. Are those NPCs or are they the fabled other players?

NPCs. You will never see another player (unless they patch in multiplayer, which is doubtful given what that would mean).

You will see that other players have been where you go. Last night I hit up two systems where lots of stuff was already discovered by a couple different players. Thought that was neat. I guess it's not so rare after all.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Or someone from Sony could have made a bullshit C&D letter and OP just didn't want to deal with it.

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the game a lot, but I am not blind to how much of what was actually promised (There's multiple videos of the devs saying the game will have this and that) was not delivered at all. I really hope they intend to add all that stuff in the future, but as it is currently, the game is very barebones and dull, in gameplay mechanics.

Good thing I actually enjoy the current game a lot, but I can see how some people just don't like that sort of gameplay, and based their purchase decision on videos that aren't even 4 months old that have a lot of stuff that was cut from the final game.

Or still exist on the Steam store page. :(

Seriously, just take down that stupid video.

• Options
    Ran across this on reddit; it's way too big to copy/paste, so just go read it. Someone compiled a list of every shown or talked about feature compared to the end product: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4y046e/wheres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list/ *edit* now with not-mobile-version link...

Most damning for me is that recent trailers are still showing a more feature-rich version of the game than was released. It's clear that things were heavily cut for some reason, and I don't be surprised of there's another class action, a la Colonial Marines or Sim City.

That post has now been deleted, and the OP account deleted also. There are mirrors of it around reddit, most people are speculating that the OP received too many death threats or got doxed.

People are gross on the Internet.