As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
  • Options
    DapperPumpkinDapperPumpkin Registered User regular
    Just saw the schedule on guidebook no concerts this year?
    According to twitter they're just waiting for some web assets before they announce the concerts:

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »
    Like at East, does the Main Theatre clear between the Friday events? (Storytime, Q&A and Roosterteeth).

They will not

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Sgt.Mays wrote: »
    Like at East, does the Main Theatre clear between the Friday events? (Storytime, Q&A and Roosterteeth).

They will not

That is what i thought, thanks!.

And correction, i ment to say like they do not do at east.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Just saw the schedule on guidebook no concerts this year?
    According to twitter they're just waiting for some web assets before they announce the concerts:
    At the very least we can assume no Protomen this year, they recently sent out their upcoming concerts and PAX (or anywhere near it for a nearby-but-unofficial-event) isn't on the list. Sad day.

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Given the lack of queue rooms in the maps, I guess is safe to assume we line up outside again this year?

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    DapperPumpkinDapperPumpkin Registered User regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    Given the lack of queue rooms in the maps, I guess is safe to assume we line up outside again this year?
    Yeah, they're not going to take away the extra space they gained from using the queue hall for booths.

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    I didn't mind lining up outside last year since the weather was really nice. It was cool that the enforcers and security moved folks inside when it began raining on one of the days too.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    SinoSamba wrote: »

Correct, morning queue will be very similar to last year. It talks about it in the letter that came with badges (which I know not everyone has), but the short version is entrances to the Expo will be on Pike into the Convention center and the Annex. Staff will guide you from there. As always, feel free to head to your chosen theater in the morning if you want to line up for a morning panel.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Did not see this but apologize if I just overlooked it, has it been determined which theater pax2 will be streaming from?

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Did not see this but apologize if I just overlooked it, has it been determined which theater pax2 will be streaming from?

According to the channel itself, Hydra.

pax1: Main
    pax2: Hydra
    pax3: Wyvern

Marino on
  • Options
    davobahdavobah Registered User regular
    Hi. The PAX West 2016 Guidebook World Map has the Roosevelt hotel two blocks away from where it actually is. It is next to Gameworks and across the street from the Hyatt. Hopefully this info can get to someone who can correct the map?

ewk6x7oeylli.png
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I've passed it along.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I'm having a temporary issue with my foot that might end up making me need a medical badge. What kind of documentation would I need to get from my doctor to show I need one?

• Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I'm having a temporary issue with my foot that might end up making me need a medical badge. What kind of documentation would I need to get from my doctor to show I need one?

You do not need any documentation.

'I'm disabled/ have a mobility impairment/ use a wheelchair, how easy will it be to get around PAX?
    No problem, apply for a medical pass, and you get special accommodation getting into panels and the like. You can apply for a pass for yourself and a +1 so you can have someone help you. To register, email pax_questions@paxsite.com'

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    I'm considering bringing my PC to the BYOC this year. Before I buy my pass I was wondering what the logistics are for getting a PC, monitor, and peripherals into the LAN. Is there load/unload parking I can use while hauling the equipment upstairs?

I did BYOC for years. The best way to manage this is to pack all of your gear onto a small foldable handtruck and secure it with bungee cords. Then you can easily move it all in one fell swoop no matter how far you have to go. I had a full-size Coolermaster case with a large widescreen monitor on the handtruck (wrapped in blankets and bungees), and used a messenger bag for peripherals and cables. The handtruck folds up and goes under the table at your seat, and the blankets/towels provide a cushier seat on the not-great provided chairs.

Typically BYOC has sold out very quickly, however - if you don't already have a pass, you may not be able to get one at this point.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    piriyuupiriyuu Registered User regular
    Any word on changes to the Live D&D: Acquisitions Inc. schedule this year? I see the Fathom Events page and Guidebook event listing it as Sunday night, but I've also heard that it's on Saturday this year. I understand scheduling is somewhat flexible until right before and occasionally the day-of the event, but I'm scheduling a guild meetup and want to make sure (as much as I can, anyway) that I don't double it up with Acquisitions, Inc. Does anyone have information leading them to believe it might be on Saturday?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Considering the Fathom partnership, which means broadcasting it to hundreds of theaters across the country, the odds of it changing dates at this point are damn near zero.

Curious as to where you heard it would be on Saturday.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    piriyuu wrote: »
    Any word on changes to the Live D&D: Acquisitions Inc. schedule this year? I see the Fathom Events page and Guidebook event listing it as Sunday night, but I've also heard that it's on Saturday this year. I understand scheduling is somewhat flexible until right before and occasionally the day-of the event, but I'm scheduling a guild meetup and want to make sure (as much as I can, anyway) that I don't double it up with Acquisitions, Inc. Does anyone have information leading them to believe it might be on Saturday?

I think you might have heard about the Acquisitions Cast Commentary panel going on on Saturday. That's just where the guys talk about past campaigns and answer questions.

The actual Live Acquisitions Inc game has been confirmed to be on Sunday at 6pm at the Main Theater. You mentioned it already on Guidebook and Chris Perkins confirmed on Twitter too -

Hope this helps!

• Options
    piriyuupiriyuu Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Considering the Fathom partnership, which means broadcasting it to hundreds of theaters across the country, the odds of it changing dates at this point are damn near zero.

I had that thought too. Switching around events at a con is one thing, refunding tickets for those who were going to watch it at a theater is another.
    piriyuu wrote: »

I think you might have heard about the Acquisitions Cast Commentary panel going on on Saturday. That's just where the guys talk about past campaigns and answer questions.

The actual Live Acquisitions Inc game has been confirmed to be on Sunday at 6pm at the Main Theater. You mentioned it already on Guidebook and Chris Perkins confirmed on Twitter too -

Hope this helps!

That must've been what I'd confused it for. The tweet is an extra boost of confidence too :) Thanks much!!

• Options
    LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    http://west.paxsite.com/music

Concert page is live

• Options
    I can't remember and need clarification as I plan out panel attendance, can you line up as early as 2 hours before or 1.5 hours? I remember there being a general window to hop in lines for stuff outside of main theaters and such.

Also, is the Storytime line as bad as Acquisitions can get? I really want to see Hennig but have never been to that particular panel before.

• Options
    The absolute earliest, unless an Enforcer working there says otherwise, that you can line up for a panel is after the preceding panel has been seated.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I can't remember and need clarification as I plan out panel attendance, can you line up as early as 2 hours before or 1.5 hours? I remember there being a general window to hop in lines for stuff outside of main theaters and such.

Also, is the Storytime line as bad as Acquisitions can get? I really want to see Hennig but have never been to that particular panel before.

For first of the day panels in the morning it depends on the theatre. Place like the convention center, as soon as they let you in you could go line up. For Benaroya, you could line up really early, but too early (like still dark out) and cops might shoo you along for loitering. Unless you are desperate for particular seating anything more then 2 hours seems very excessive. Being flexible and checking https://twitter.com/pax_lines are your best bets.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Sgt.MaysSgt.Mays Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    For things like the main theatre i have gone right when it opened at 8, and one year even got a front row seat a long wait but if you want a good seat it is worth it.

Sgt.Mays on
    Gaymer, Nerd and Fan of Freeman's Mind/Half-life/GTA/Red Vs Blue

Attended: East 14, 15 and West 16
    Attending West 2019
  • Options
    BunktaviousBunktavious Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

They're pretty good about giving the medical passes to those who request them for any reasonable reason. The "medical group" usually ends up getting to know each other pretty well over the weekend and anyone just trying to scam one to get past lineups would be spotted pretty quickly, and probably shamed. Been the +1 to my buddy and his walker a few times.

• Options
    WrentheFacelessWrentheFaceless Registered User new member
    Is there an area that lists the exhibitors or possibly contains a floor map?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    whypick1 on
  • Options
    WrentheFacelessWrentheFaceless Registered User new member
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    How are people getting the little PAX badge icons in their signature?

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    alegria wrote: »
    How are people getting the little PAX badge icons in their signature?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/205495/tiny-pax-badges-in-forum-signatures#latest

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    Any locals/PAX vets have suggestions on local transit apps? It'd be nice to use that to get around via bus rather than battle Uber surge pricing.

• Options
    ddt58ddt58 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    One bus away works for the transit buses.

• Options
    CKingCKing Registered User regular
    11 days until we leave for Seattle and still no badges. I'm getting nervous. Usually we have them by now.

• Options
    1st timer for my 10 YO son and I, we are psyched. So much so that we've planning our days today, making sure we hit the booths for pins and games and prioritizing the panels/shows we want.

Wanted to ask/confirm a few things:
    1) I found a few games I want to check out in the Megabooth. Is that the Indie Megabooth behind the Expo Hall on WSCC Level 4?
    2) My son is interested in the Pokemon OR/AS tourney but he doesn't have the cartridge anymore. Where are the HH tourneys held? If he doesn't have a cartridge, are there ones to borrow?
    3) Are the PC tourneys held in the CybertronPC Room?

Thanks.

• Options
    Perusing the maps and saw Swag Bag Pickup on Sheraton Level 3. What's that?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    1st timer for my 10 YO son and I, we are psyched. So much so that we've planning our days today, making sure we hit the booths for pins and games and prioritizing the panels/shows we want.

Wanted to ask/confirm a few things:
    1) I found a few games I want to check out in the Megabooth. Is that the Indie Megabooth behind the Expo Hall on WSCC Level 4?
    2) My son is interested in the Pokemon OR/AS tourney but he doesn't have the cartridge anymore. Where are the HH tourneys held? If he doesn't have a cartridge, are there ones to borrow?
    3) Are the PC tourneys held in the CybertronPC Room?

Thanks.

1. Most likely, yes
    2. There should be some cartridges available to lend
    3. Yes
    Perusing the maps and saw Swag Bag Pickup on Sheraton Level 3. What's that?

Swag bags are small plastic bags that come with ads/promo items.

whypick1 on
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Thanks whypick1.

Re: swag bags, I meant is that a specific PAX attendee swag bag? [In hindsight, I can see that my question may not have been very clear.] I wasn't aware there was a specific one for the show. We were just looking forward to going to the booths for swag. Now if there's a specific PAX 2016 one, heck yeah. We're up for as much as we can carry. ;)

oldskoolboarder on
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Thanks whypick1.

Re: swag bags, I meant is that a specific PAX attendee swag bag? [In hindsight, I can see that my question may not have been very clear.] I wasn't aware there was a specific one for the show. We were just looking forward to going to the booths for swag. Now if there's a specific PAX 2016 one, heck yeah. We're up for as much as we can carry. ;)

Yeah, various game companies pay to put some swag into free bags for every attendee - you generally get some Magic: The Gathering starter decks, codes for game downloads, little knickknacks, things to do in line, things like that. They used to hand the bags out in the lines, now they reserve a room to place them out for attendees to pick up themselves.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    Are foldable tripod stools allowed for waiting in line? Never used them before but I heard they were against the rules.

May PAX be upon you.