As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[POTBS] Pirates of the Burning Sea

KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
So in lieu of the "stress testing" going on with POTBS I thought we should have a thread for it. http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/potbs/index.aspx

http://www.burningsea.com/
Originally Posted by POTBS web site
The year is 1720 and the New World is on fire.
England, France, and Spain have unleashed their forces on the Caribbean. Naval officers captain massive warships through bloody engagements at sea . Freetraders charge through blockades and smuggle the war material needed to conquer the enemy’s ports. Privateers raid enemy shipping, looting ships of their treasure and rival nations of their glory.
Through it all sail the Pirates . Bloody, bold, and resolute, they serve no flag and heed no king. They live free, fight hard, and obey only fate.

Wiki for those that aren't in the know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Burning_Sea

I can't really do a fancy OP right now so this will have to do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
XBL
Kajusta on

• exisexis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    how could you possibly fuck up a pirate mmorpg

i'm sure we'll find out

exis on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well right now it looks to be fairly good, I haven't had a chance to play it though. I'll probably get on later today.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    exis wrote: »
    how could you possibly fuck up a pirate mmorpg

i'm sure we'll find out

I think there was a "pirates of the carribean" MMORPG. That's one way of doing it.

The folks over at Gamespy seemed impressed by this one, however. Kinda like Eve in that you sail around in a ship... except, wait for it... you can actually leave the ship and go afightin'.

dojango on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A friend of mine hates herself, so she tried the Pirates of the Carribean MMO.

Basically, it's "free" to play...

...as long as you are okay with never being able to fully complete quests (have to pay an individual fee for that), level up (another individual fee), get better equipment (ditto), and so forth.

I don't think she lasted more than an hour.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    edited November 2007
    Well, I can fully say as of right now it's fuckawesome.

At least the ship battles, anyways. Haven't gotten down the swashbuckling. Also, it turns out the game is still under NDA even though anyone with a Fileplanet account can log onto the servers.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm downloading the stress test right now

I don't want to derail the thread but I was wondering if any of you guys know of any good "swashbucking" games that are better than Pirates! (Pirates! being the only good sea game I've played)
    I'm a pretty big Master and Commander fan and I really want to find a good seaworthy/swashbuckling game. Thoughts?

QuestionMarkMan on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been in the Beta for a year now. I've seen it come a long way, and can gladly say that this game is VERY good.

I love the pvp, I love the ship battles, the economy's method of forcing you to be a part of the total market, and swashbuckling has come a LONG way since it was first implemented.

I've taken a month break, I should patch up and see what's new.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2007
    Well, the problem I'm having right now with PotBS is due entirely to the nature of the stress test. Massively long loading screens and utterly unplayable lag during sailing portions kind of make it hard to do anything.

Looks like I'll have to be one of those "pity invites" if I want to get any actual testing done in a beta.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    A friend of mine hates herself, so she tried the Pirates of the Carribean MMO.

Basically, it's "free" to play...

...as long as you are okay with never being able to fully complete quests (have to pay an individual fee for that), level up (another individual fee), get better equipment (ditto), and so forth.

I don't think she lasted more than an hour.

I saw a preview or some such of it a while back, and it was one of the worst looking MMOs I've ever seen. Total attempt to just cash in on the franchise name.

Scooter on
    edited November 2007
    Well I got the game installed but I've been stuck at the main menu trying to login to one of the servers and getting the message "Can't login"

Sigh

QuestionMarkMan on
    edited November 2007
    If it's the server colored blue, then log into the other.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited November 2007
    I got in but jesus christ the lag is unbearable and I even did the firewall stuff they listed in the forums

It took like 5 minutes for a NPC to talk to me after I clicked on him

Looks like I wont be able to get to level 5 and get in the beta
    I really wanted to play this

QuestionMarkMan on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I dont even know how to run the game anymore.

They msged us ages ago about this retarded sony station dowload page, then this stress test, I still can't log in even though I've been in beta for freakin ages.

Last I played swashbuckling the collision detection and controls were, well, rough, to put it in kind words.

So how I install? Usemy fileplanet accnt to redownload the damn thing :?:

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Apparently, outside of the tutorial sea battles, I could get around the lag by logging out and then back in.

Once I got around that, things went a lot smoother. The game is extremely fun, and I'm looking forward to trying the hopefully less-laggy beta now that I'm 5.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I got the email for the beta (or possibly the stress test) a couple of days ago. I had a horrendous ordeal just trying to log in to their website to download the thing and then, after about an hour when I finally got the .exe to start downloading it must've only partially downloaded because it's corrupt. I kind of gave up and went back to EVE after that because it didn't look as good as I'd originally hoped anyway. But if it is extremely fun then maybe I'll give that download another shot tonight.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited November 2007
    Well, if it was just an email for the stress test, you may be out of luck, since the stress test ended yesterday.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited November 2007
    If you used your beta key before yesterday you should be able to play in the beta.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why do people keep saying this is like EVE? It is not like EVE at all except for the fact that you use ships and there are pirates.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well, they say the economy is going to be eve-like, as well. Player will be able to control the production of resources, and then the distillation of those resources into something usable. Whether it be rum, or a fully-laden frigate.

dojango on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Which is not really new or ground breaking in any way, even before EVE.

Clarification: It is a good feature I think, but these days it is to be expected.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I missed the boat on beta, but what I did see at PAX seemed pretty interesting. Has there been any talk of a Penny Arcade society (guild) post release?

PeasantDave on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have heard from an anonymous source that this game is totally freaking awesome.

SpongeCake on
  • DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    See, now I want to play this game. So hard. And I just missed all the beta shtuffs.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My problem with Pirates of the Burning Sea: adventuring and trading/crafting are not seperate professions. You *have* to adventure to trade/craft.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
    edited December 2007
    Not really. Other than when your port is in contention, my merchant rarely has to partake in any fighting.

Now when one of my ports is under attack...yeah...running the gambit can be fun. Thankfully I can usually get some friends to provide support while I make a break in or out of a port.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You can't level up just through trading/crafting, and without leveling up, there's no way to get those nice abilities (+% speed in open sea, better crafting skills, etc.).

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So how's the pvp component? The war and all that?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    So the NDA is lifted, and the Open Beta is open to everyone on the 14th, if I'm reading things right.

So, tell me something good.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2007
    I couldn't play the stress test much because of the lag (naturally) and I got into the beta. I tried to play it over a couple of days but even with all of the settings turned all of the way down I couldn't improve the lag. The character customization was nice, and the battles were cool at first until my cannons stopped reloading (had to wait at least a half hour to finish one of the missions because my AI teammate had the only working boat with cannons on it), but the swashbuckling combat was terrible. I'd appear on the enemy ship, they would suddenly teleport in front of me and I'd try to do the moves to get them off balance and then strike them but it never worked and I'd die.

I've since uninstalled it but if it gets a lot better I'd be interested to pick it up again

QuestionMarkMan on
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ya, I tried to play during stress test too Question. It was unplayable at all, but since getting into beta, I am addicted. I have not had any of the things you are talking about. I am loving it as of now.

maraxus94 on
  • SrazekSrazek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Currently downloading.

I was excited for this, but the negative opinion here as well as in SA's MMO forum leave me with some serious doubts. The game as been called a complete plague to be avoided at all costs. I'll try it anyway.

Srazek on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I couldn't play the stress test much because of the lag (naturally) and I got into the beta. I tried to play it over a couple of days but even with all of the settings turned all of the way down I couldn't improve the lag. The character customization was nice, and the battles were cool at first until my cannons stopped reloading (had to wait at least a half hour to finish one of the missions because my AI teammate had the only working boat with cannons on it), but the swashbuckling combat was terrible. I'd appear on the enemy ship, they would suddenly teleport in front of me and I'd try to do the moves to get them off balance and then strike them but it never worked and I'd die.

I've since uninstalled it but if it gets a lot better I'd be interested to pick it up again

That was some excellent beta testing.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited December 2007
    So I've gotten to play a bit of the beta.

There are so many god damn loading screens. Seriously, what the hell were they thinking. Loading screen when porting into town. Loading screen when going from town, into a house in said town. Loading screen when going from one room of the house to the second room of the house. Load screen when you grapple an enemy ship and board it, IN THE MIDDLE OF FUCKING COMBAT. ARE YOU BEING SERIOUS?

What's worse is that whenever you leave a loading screen, the game stutters like something terrible as it fetches all the models to be loaded. And I'm not running some shoddy computer either.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    More or less than Oblivion?

Three loading screens just to get out of a house, woo.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited December 2007
    Atleast you're not stuck at infinite loading like back in the day.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well there are two things to consider here in regards to loading screens.
    1. Its still beta, this late stage is when everything gets polished, which means decrease in loading times, and possible integrating seamless ship boarding.
    2. Most of the things you mentioned are put in place to stop everything from overloading to infinity. If they made all the bars and auction houses seamless, they would have to not have doors, and would be that much more draining on systems. Try to look at them like instances in CoH. You go into a warehouse, loading screen, but they are loading the mission you are going into.

maraxus94 on
    edited December 2007
    The load times have never bothered me. They're pretty damn quick.

I love this game, and have been in the beta for over a year now. I'm a little annoyed with the current build though. I get a TON of lag when I first zone into a town, but it seems like once my video card gets time to load everything onto its ram, it runs fine.

I turned everything down, but it made no difference.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2007
    Heir wrote: »

I love this game, and have been in the beta for over a year now. I'm a little annoyed with the current build though. I get a TON of lag when I first zone into a town, but it seems like once my video card gets time to load everything onto its ram, it runs fine.

I turned everything down, but it made no difference.

the trick is to turn the avatar rendering all the way up. If you turn it down all the way, it will only render x amount of avatars so each time it's able to render a new avatar it'll do a hiccup.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited December 2007
    Heir wrote: »

Except when they were infinite, haha.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm downloading it as we speak. Got accepted yesterday.

Lightor216 on