As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    It's unbelievably frustrating to see that little red circle pop up on the scanner with 1 species to find on a planet... you scan it and it's part of a species already found.

Could they not add another colour for that? You get all excited and then the crushing disappointment after you've been running around on this toxic wasteland for the better part of 2 hours.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Ship handling is odd for me since if you push the stick forward the ship pulls up. Still trying to get used to it.

I'm not understanding how that's weird. Forward=up, backward=down is what I'd expect.

For an aircraft, often pulling back on the flight stick pulls the nose up, pushing forward on the flight stick pushes the nose down

Imagine you stab a pole through the cockpit and use that to aim the ship

Wait. There are aircraft with sticks that do not behave in that fashion?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Ship handling is odd for me since if you push the stick forward the ship pulls up. Still trying to get used to it.

I thought you could adjust that? If not, that's pretty crazy

You can, it's under options. You can invert the controls if you like being right.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »

I'm not understanding how that's weird. Forward=up, backward=down is what I'd expect.

For an aircraft, often pulling back on the flight stick pulls the nose up, pushing forward on the flight stick pushes the nose down

You can invert your flight controls in the options.

oh yes, that was the first thing i did after getting my ship off the ground. if there are people that havent done this i can understand why they are having a hard time with flying

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    You can, it's under options. You can invert the controls if you like being right.

I'm left-handed. I'm used to being told I'm wrong. :biggrin:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Given how much people keep saying they want us to discover instead of telling us, changing the planets so that there are cycles instead of rotating planets and dark sides and stuff seems kind of at odds with the rest of that. Weird.

If they ship handled better I probably wouldn't have refunded it. Hoping they make that significanctly improved in the future.

Reddit is suggesting that this change was mentioned in the patch notes when they said they reduced planet rotation due to a disorienting affect it was having on their (imaginary I guess) play-testers.

I agree that it's misleading to say "reduced" as they actually seem to have meant "removed entirely", but it has nothing to do with the discovery/be told angle (unless you're referring to someone else's comments in the thread that I missed).

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Wait. There are aircraft with sticks that do not behave in that fashion?

I am not familiar with all aircraft, so I didn't want to assume incase there's one out there with some wacky control scheme

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So I've had a hard time getting Iridium, as it only seems to spawn in small quantities. (Images all linked for large)

So imagine my joy when I came across this massive deposit! (note the trees and Gold deposit nearby for scale)
    http://i.imgur.com/joP5Dm5.jpg

After a good 5 minutes or so chipping away at it with a pretty powerful mining tool, this is what remains that is for some reason unminable:
    http://i.imgur.com/Z9EX3k6.jpg

But wait....THERE'S MORE!
    http://i.imgur.com/f22Exoh.jpg

Final remnants after roughly 30 minutes of work and probably something like 6-8 mining tool recharges
    http://i.imgur.com/0nMTj37.jpg
    Another angle from the other side with my ship in the background
    http://i.imgur.com/OsGIiW7.jpg

Grand total of 2579 Iridium from this one deposit.
    http://i.imgur.com/TDDIn4k.jpg

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Yeah, I love how much you get from those huge deposits, especially once you've upgraded the mining laser.

Another trick for rare materials like Iridium is farming crashed ships. You have to be pretty careful with your saves, but if you take possession of the crashed ship, you can then salvage most of the additional components on it (not the core ones), transfer them to your inventory, and then take back your old ship. This is a great way to get Iridium, Chrysonite and even Omegon later on.

But be really careful, because once you've possessed the crashed ship, if you have to load the save back up, whichever one you don't own will despawn. So always make sure to repossess your old ship and get in and out to create a quick save once you're done.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Found this planet last night, and it makes me very happy. The hostile sentinels only make it more exciting of course:

ECA2678998BA244619AEEECB7AEB19A79C6106E6

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

You can change it in the options.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Found this planet last night, and it makes me very happy. The hostile sentinels only make it more exciting of course:

ECA2678998BA244619AEEECB7AEB19A79C6106E6

Holy cow that's gorgeous

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Found a dead planet filled with floating subcontinents.

Named it Zeal and moved on.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I finally found the last species on that toxic wasteland... it was a 3.5m high spider crab... how did I not see it before?

It's disgusting looking too:
    uFHSd6p.jpg

Then I moved onto the last planet in the system. Gorgeous tundra but devoid of fauna.
    WG9ug49.jpg
    EHZMyZv.jpg
    I love way the red accents in the underground soil and flora compliment the greens and whites above ground.

Muffinatron on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I finally found the last species on that toxic wasteland... it was a 3.5m high spider crab... how did I not see it before?

It's disgusting looking too:
    uFHSd6p.jpg

Then I moved onto the last planet in the system. Gorgeous tundra but devoid of fauna.
    WG9ug49.jpg
    EHZMyZv.jpg
    I love way the red accents in the underground soil and flora compliment the greens and whites above ground.

That planet really needs some utterly fucked up looking alien reindeer.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I wish turning off the hud removed the waypoint lines, as well. They mar this otherwise great shot I took:

3235121F60C075FCA7C6148B31F8A916DA74A7DC

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Well, I updated my nVidia drivers because they said they were optimized for No Man's Sky, and now I can't even go 30 minutes without the game stuttering. That's worse than before!

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Oomeggerg!!
    cYiJJQw.jpg

Oomeggerg Berdlernds!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    "how long in testing do people typically stay in one system/space? How about after intro?... Oh that is nothing we don't need that".

Pfft, they didn't do testing.

There are so many basic gameplay and interface decisions that wouldn't have made it into the final release if they had....

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    This review kind of sums up a lot of my issues with the game. Especially the first half where he talks about his first playthrough. Note that he does end up enjoying the game more the second time around.

http://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-the-kotaku-review-1785383774

Highlights:
    It all seemed so lonely and pointless. I didn’t feel like an explorer. I felt like an interloper. Every system I arrived in already had a space station. Every planet was already covered with exploration outposts and research facilities. What was I even doing here?

I saw my friends posting screenshots of the game to Twitter and Facebook. The animals and planets in their screenshots looked like my animals and planets. I discussed my alien encounters with colleagues who were also playing the game, only to learn we were all having the same experiences. That time I agreed to marry an alien? They did that, too. I gave up hope of finding something striking or unique.
    The planets had become a hazy blur of crusty monsters and samey sunsets. I was bored.

Spoiling this one since it mentions an ending.
    I hadn’t had the foresight (or the storage space) to hold onto the items I needed to trigger the game’s “ending,” so I watched it on YouTube. It confirmed my suspicions that the Atlas narrative is purposefully pointless. It exists to repudiate the notion of authored narrative in a game like this. There never was a story, ha ha. Should’ve taken that third option.
    Frustrated and burnt out, I stopped playing.

So, I'm not always good at putting my thoughts on this kind of thing into words. There is fun in this game to be had, and despite these problems I find myself still playing. But I think I've figured out the main things that make feel like I got scammed. (and that I should have waited for a sale)

1. The sameness. There are always limits to procedural content. I am aware of this. But the fact that many of the people I've talked to/heard from are seeing the exact same things as I am is highly frustrating. I was hoping for a BIT more variety than this. If we're all having roughly the same experience, why even bother having a universe this big? Also, everything is an outpost. Where are the civilizations? I'd rather have only a few interest points per planet instead of dozens of the same abandoned houses everywhere. It's gotten dull real quick.

2. I said before in this thread that the hiding of content behind warp drive upgrades (and not explaining it) was mean. But the more I think about Atlas, the more it offends me to a much greater degree.

Spoiling this, because Atlas. Also because it's a bit of a rant.
    They want to make a commentary on people wanting guidance in a sandbox game? Fine. Do that. Make a flash game about it or something. Personally, when faced with something like Minecraft that is essentially infinite, it's nice for me when there is something to help me put it into perspective, a framework to grasp onto. Achievements, tech trees, whatever. When faced with infinity I need a motivation, at least until I can learn enough about the game to find my own.

But they went out of their way to craft what a fake narrative. They think that this kind of thing is wrong for this type of game and then they went ahead and made it anyway. They made, by their own standards, a wrong way to play the game. Then they shoved it in front of the player almost immediately as something mysterious and strange to intrigue them. Of course players are going to follow it, because it's the damn logo for the game.

Worse, they made it take hours. Even a player rushing through the Atlas quest is going to, by necessity, have to play far past the 2 hour limit for returns. So they get there, finish, and nothing much happens. Just some text and the implication that a new star showed up somewhere. (I doubt greatly this is actually the case) Maybe I'm the only one who is bothered by this, but it seems like a gross disregard for the players time, and of the players themselves.

The more I think about this the crankier it makes me. I don't think I'm giving this game a second try. I'm not even sure I am going to keep going on the first. I might be done.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    You may find this article interesting @MuddBudd (and anyone else who knows about the ending, spoilers obviously).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Finishing the Atlas quest made me cackle wildly at the sheer audacity of it.

• Options
    It's unbelievably frustrating to see that little red circle pop up on the scanner with 1 species to find on a planet... you scan it and it's part of a species already found.

Could they not add another colour for that? You get all excited and then the crushing disappointment after you've been running around on this toxic wasteland for the better part of 2 hours.

This got to me so much, it's arguably the straw that broke the camels back for me in going from enjoying the game to not enjoying it at all. The one thing I was having fun doing was finding and cataloging a planets species, but even with multiple scanning upgrades on my multitool, it still took forever. There are multiple things where mechanics it gives you (like grey dot sscanning) don't work, such as underwater, adding to the frustration as well.

Also, I have to concede their procedural generation of animals is pretty bad. You encounter a lot of immensely similar creatures and some people have posted screens of creatures that look almost identical to some I've seen. That's pretty disappointing. The worst thing is that investing all that time finding every species doesn't even pay off that much. You can get far more money in the same amount of time - or significantly less - just finding a planet with high value minerals and mining them a lot.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I still can't believe I haven't found a multi-tool upgrade. Up to nearly 20 hours into the game, been through quite a few planets and stars. Nowhere has a multitool. The starting 5 slotter is starting to make collecting minerals very very long and tedious.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    You may find this article interesting @MuddBudd (and anyone else who knows about the ending, spoilers obviously).

Interesting, yes, but if that was what they were going for, then they execute it a bit too clunkily for my tastes.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    I still can't believe I haven't found a multi-tool upgrade. Up to nearly 20 hours into the game, been through quite a few planets and stars. Nowhere has a multitool. The starting 5 slotter is starting to make collecting minerals very very long and tedious.

For my last couple of upgrades to the 24 cap I was just buying the ones that they sell in the outposts on the planets that have the single landing spot next to them. Should be like a red box on the wall near the trading circle port thing, usually costs just over 100k units for a 2 slot upgrade (though some of them have a -1 slot multitool for sale for fuck knows what reason)

Muffinatron on
  • Options
    Yea, I haven't seen a red box ever. Either I don't know what I am looking for (I've looked at screenshots) or they just aren't there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Yea, I haven't seen a red box ever. Either I don't know what I am looking for (I've looked at screenshots) or they just aren't there.

I think the most straightforward way to get an upgraded multitool would be this:

1: Find a system controlled by the Vy'Keen, (Korvax might work too, but the Gek bases seem way less likely to have multitools in them)

2: Find one of the red beam scanners and keep spamming the "Scan for transmission" option until you've found the location of a bunch of beacons

3: Use the beacons and visit the base they mark out. That base is guaranteed to have an alien in it (choosing the right conversation option has a chance of giving you a better multitool), and should have a decent chance of containing a locker with a multitool in it.

Vic on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

This talk about multiple paths... if you finish the Atlas quest, does it prevent you from exploring the other paths?

• Options
    I've been in mostly Gek systems so that might explain it. Cheers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to No Man's Sky 2.
    (Still my GotY so far.)

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I've been in mostly Gek systems so that might explain it. Cheers.

This is probably it, my access to multitool upgrades completely dried up when I got into their space.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

This talk about multiple paths... if you finish the Atlas quest, does it prevent you from exploring the other paths?

No.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »

I think the most straightforward way to get an upgraded multitool would be this:

1: Find a system controlled by the Vy'Keen, (Korvax might work too, but the Gek bases seem way less likely to have multitools in them)

2: Find one of the red beam scanners and keep spamming the "Scan for transmission" option until you've found the location of a bunch of beacons

3: Use the beacons and visit the base they mark out. That base is guaranteed to have an alien in it (choosing the right conversation option has a chance of giving you a better multitool), and should have a decent chance of containing a locker with a multitool in it.

Yeah, I met a Vy'keen who seemed concerned about my multitool and then gave me a much better one.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    There is always one for sale at the Anomaly as well.

Look for systems with a p at the end of the class type. (so, F3p, etc...)

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Vic wrote: »

I've been in Korvax systems for 8 out of the last 10. I might be just getting lucky, but every single trading post has a red box with a multi-tool in it.

Vy'keen seem much more likely to give you one when interacting with the person there though (which is free), albeit a lot of the time it's because they're deserting and you'll lose Vy'keen reputation.

Muffinatron on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I finally stumbled into a system discovered by another player! What are the odds?

6gJ99N8.jpg

Oh...

• Options
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I finally stumbled into a system discovered by another player! What are the odds?

http://i.imgur.com/6gJ99N8.jpg

Oh...

Truly, this game needed multiplayer.

• Options
    I hate that gorilla so much.