As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How to get entry level biomedical instrumentation jobs?

aparnarajeshaparnarajesh Registered User regular
Hi I completed Biomedical Instrumentation Engineering in India. Currently i live in USA. I'm looking for entry level/trainee/intern biomedical jobs. Any suggestions?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    The USA is a big place, can you tell us where you actually live? State wise? City?

• aparnarajeshaparnarajesh Registered User regular
    Hi i live in Connecticut

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I don't know what your education references. Is it sterile processing? Is it clinical engineering/technical? Is it research and development?

Do you have any certification?

dispatch.o on
    Biomedical instrumentation is about Biomedical equipments used in hospitals. I don't have certification. Its More of technical and R&D

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    All of the companies that do this work that I know of are in Texas, New Jersey and North Carolina. It's a fairly limited pool. You should do some initial research on what companies do the type of work you feel you're qualified for, then reach out to their recruiting departments and see if you can find out how they do most of their recruiting.

What is this I don't even.
    edited August 2016
    Do you have a degree?

There are lots of companies, that do lots of things. As well as biomedical/clinical technology departments in every hospital.

I'll list a few companies who deal in hospital equipment research and manufacturing.

Stryker, Medtronic, Depuy, Synthes, Biomet, Cardinal Health, Datex Ohmeda, GE, Mindray, Intuitive, Olympus, Ambu, Phillips, Sonosite, Semens, Intubrite, Draeger.

So you can check those company websites. The R&D stuff isn't really entry level. It depends on what your education actually is. You said no certification, is it a bachelor's?

Edit: even if it were a masters, you will still have to get certified in things to do the work or be employed. Usually they give you a window of a number of months post hire to get them.

dispatch.o on

Thanks! I'm working on it!

I have completed Bachelors degree in Biomedical Instrumentation Engineering. Thanks a lot for your input! I really appreciate it! So can i go for some certification courses? Can i do it online?

edited August 2016
    If you have a degree they will provide training or information on what you need. A good deal of medical equipment is used in the USA but most of the companies do research elsewhere. Germany is really popular.

Edit: There are also Quality engineering and management jobs out there for the manufacturing centers for products. Like where they make the battery module or balloon pumps that go into catheters they use for angiography and cardiac stent placement.

Edit2: If you need a job like now, look for a clinical engineer or technology job at any hospital associated with a university. Biomedical techs do maintenance on and test all equipment used on a patient. So Anesthesia machines, perfusion pumps, surgical robots, etc. It pays well and you will make good contacts at the individual companies for an ear to jobs in industries closer matching your interests.

Literally every hospital keeps a biomedical engineering department. You could work anywhere there's a large hospital. They're also nearly always union jobs, even in non-union friendly states.

dispatch.o on
    edited August 2016
    Thanks a lot for your time! Now i know how to search for jobs. I really appreciate your help

aparnarajesh on