As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

• Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lemming wrote:
    So, what you're essentially saying is "bad games don't get praise". Quite untrue, though Contact isn't a bad game. The game is extremely beautiful and has some decent ideas, but it doesn't at all live up to it's potential, the clash between simplistic and detailed visuals and the contact between seperate planes, the gameplay is boring and frustrating, and the game feels lacking in general. Not really deserving of a sequel, there isn't enough to build upon from the original game. The game isn't great, it isn't bad, it's more lacking than anything. Lacking in substance, lacking in fulfillment of it's concepts, lacking in everything.

You're apparently lacking in the ability to see that we have differing opinions. I thought the battle system was good, I liked the characters, and I'm really curious as to what's really going on in the whole thing. I didn't think the game was boring or frustrating, and it was a fun experience the whole way through.

That's fine, but I still stand by my own opinions regarding the game.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Lemming wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    Ok I just beat it

If this game doesn't get a sequel I will murder someone

Also I'm starting a new game now
    TO: Oh, and surprise number two – there will be a Contact 2 game for a Nintendo platform. Probably.

S51: Yeah, Akira Ueda, starting in January, will form his own company, called Audio Inc. He’ll continue working on Contact 2 under his own company brand. So hopefully everyone will support them too!

http://gamasutra.com/features/20060601/sheffield_01.shtml

I'm not a fan of turning everything into a sequel fest, especially if you're trying to continue something that didn't live up to its potential in the first place, just let it die.

Yes, but I think this game deserves one. Considering I did think it was really good.
    Seconded.

Good games like this would'nt get such fanfare if they were bad.

So, what you're essentially saying is "bad games don't get praise". Quite untrue, though Contact isn't a bad game. The game is extremely beautiful and has some decent ideas, but it doesn't at all live up to it's potential, the clash between simplistic and detailed visuals and the contact between seperate planes, the gameplay is boring and frustrating, and the game feels lacking in general. Not really deserving of a sequel, there isn't enough to build upon from the original game. The game isn't great, it isn't bad, it's more lacking than anything. Lacking in substance, lacking in fulfillment of it's concepts, lacking in everything.

K, well me and my three friends bought it all, and like it.

So yeah, there's our opinions. We like, you don't. Alrighty.

Dee Kae on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Honestly, for all the arguments you give about Contact, Muse, it actually seems like you'd be more in favor for a sequel to take the concepts and the groundwork that was laid out in the first one and flesh it out and make it work better, in your opinon, in a sequel.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Vyolynce wrote:
    For the same number of taps I can complete a song in Elite Beat Agents and have a much more enjoyable time.

Then go play Elite Beat Agents.
    If you think Contact is/was fun, that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. But for me, the game was long on promises, short on results.

You can easily beat the game without leveling up your fishing, cooking, or thieving abilities. They are there for those that are completists that want to get more out of the game if they chose to do so.

None of it is required.

On another note, Contact didnt promise you anything.
    I really enjoy a grindfest if there is a significant payoff at the end. I'm the guy that engaged in random battles ad infinitum in FE:SS and FF:TA just so I could max out my characters and breeze through the endgame. My major problem with Contact is that there is no real reason for you to do this since the game is so easy.

First time Ive heard it described as "easy". Most people complain about having to grind because it is too hard.
    But then again I never subscribed to the idea that handheld games can't be compared to their console brethren. Why should I lower my standards when I'm playing a handheld?

You shouldnt, and Im glad you brought that up.

Contact is an RPG. It is not Seiken Densetsu. It is not Final Fantasy. Nor is it Dragon Quest, Earthbound, or World of Warcraft. It is its own game, with its own design principles, flaws, and accomplishments.

It seems to me that the people who dont like the game want to justify it by saying "its a bad game" instead of "I dont like it". Why not the latter? I love Contact and practically everything about it, from the different graphics, the locales, to the way characters give a cute little "Dah? Bah?" sound bite before they talk.

Thats just me.

Its a game with some design choices that wont appeal to everyone. But then again, I suspected that the moment I laid my eyes on it. Be disappointed if you like, but stop giving off the vibe that it is some how a bad game.

Its not necessarily just this forum, but many of the others that I participate in, as well as simply lurk.
    I'm not a fan of turning everything into a sequel fest, especially if you're trying to continue something that didn't live up to its potential in the first place, just let it die.

I feel that it excelled well past its potential, and the open ended ending can make for a great sequel.

Sheep on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Anyone from Group 5 want to make Contact?

Projeck on
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just picked this up last week. Just got past

[spoiler:ab8392007e]the Fort[/spoiler:ab8392007e]

and I'm liking it so far. As soon as I get my wireless router set up so I can connect with my DS, I'll sign up to make contact.

The game is a bit simplistic, but very enjoyable, and keeps a smirk on my face most of the time. I think it's worth what I paid for it.

Karilmat on
  • Animal SpiritsAnimal Spirits Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Project37 wrote:
    Anyone from Group 5 want to make Contact?
    I'm free in a few hours.

Animal Spirits on
    wiisnake2jj0.jpg
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sleep wrote:
    Its a game with some design choices that wont appeal to everyone. But then again, I suspected that the moment I laid my eyes on it. Be disappointed if you like, but stop giving off the vibe that it is some how a bad game.
    Most definitely -- and not very surprisingly, being as how it's got developmental ties to the team that made Killer 7. It's not that the game isn't executed well, it's that the basic principles of the game are pretty divisive from the get-go. I did end up being rather disappointed, but I chalk it up to "it's not for me."
    Sleep wrote:
    On another note, Contact didnt promise you anything.
    Actually, I beg to differ. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    First, no one shoot me. I thought this thread would be the best place to ask.

Does anyone know how much trade in credit eb/gamestop gives for Contact?

projectmayhem on
    edited November 2006
    Lunker wrote:

ROFL

I dont even think Ive looked at the friggan box.

But of the things it did promise, monkey's and cosmic terrorists are definitely in there.

:-D

Sheep on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sleep wrote:
    Lunker wrote:

ROFL

I dont even think Ive looked at the friggan box.

But of the things it did promise, monkey's and cosmic terrorists are definitely in there.

:-D

I never disputed that. :)

But it also promised no dull moments, and I found more than a few. A few of those other promises are open to interpretation as well, but it did deliver on the majority (although I think there was only one monkey...).

I'm with Lunker: I never said it was a bad game. I just wasn't what I was looking for... and what I did find didn't click with me.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited November 2006
    Vyolynce wrote:
    I'm with Lunker: I never said it was a bad game. I just wasn't what I was looking for... and what I did find didn't click with me.

It was more of a wide internet thing, than just the folks here at PA.

I saw a thread over on Insert Credit where it was basically people reaffirming over and over that the game sucks, and anyone who likes it is an overindulging, elitist fucktard.

That part, I dont get.

Out of curiosity, I asked Atlus how well Contact is selling. They havnt gotten me a concrete number yet, but their rep replied told me it was selling very well.

Sheep on
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    now all group 5 ppl are on my list!!

use aim or ventrilo to get in contact with me..

or pm me. whatever

ps. check the wiki!! group 5 is full now

http://padsgames.pbwiki.com/Contact%20Friend%20Codes

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
    edited November 2006
    Can someone tell me how to find:

[spoiler:5d2dc3a676]How to find the Earth God/Fire God/etc and fight them? Or do I have to beat the game first?[/spoiler:5d2dc3a676]

and...

[spoiler:5d2dc3a676]How to get the UFO?[/spoiler:5d2dc3a676]

Sheep on
  • Captain AmazingCaptain Amazing Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

$14

Captain Amazing on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

$14

Cool, thanks.

You all have fun Contact'ing away.

projectmayhem on
  • BelenusBelenus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sleep wrote:
    But then again I never subscribed to the idea that handheld games can't be compared to their console brethren. Why should I lower my standards when I'm playing a handheld?

Contact is an RPG. It is not Seiken Densetsu. It is not Final Fantasy. Nor is it Dragon Quest, Earthbound, or World of Warcraft. It is its own game, with its own design principles, flaws, and accomplishments.

It seems to me that the people who dont like the game want to justify it by saying "its a bad game" instead of "I dont like it". Why not the latter? I love Contact and practically everything about it, from the different graphics, the locales, to the way characters give a cute little "Dah? Bah?" sound bite before they talk.

Thats just me.

By your description, no game could ever be a "bad game". Superman 64 isn't a bad game, it just had some design choices that won't appeal to everyone. See how that works?

Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but I'm not going to go the "nice" route and pretend that there's something wrong with me every time I dislike a game. I think it's perfectly reasonable to declare any game "bad" as long as the person has reasons to back up that claim, which I did.

Unlike ThoughtlessMuse, though, I would actually like to see a sequel that develops the ideas in the original, or at least has an honest ad campaign. :P

Belenus on
    Contact Friend Code: 4038.0854.4554
    edited November 2006
    Belenus wrote:
    By your description, no game could ever be a "bad game". Superman 64 isn't a bad game, it just had some design choices that won't appeal to everyone. See how that works?

Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but I'm not going to go the "nice" route and pretend that there's something wrong with me every time I dislike a game. I think it's perfectly reasonable to declare any game "bad" as long as the person has reasons to back up that claim, which I did.

Unlike ThoughtlessMuse, though, I would actually like to see a sequel that develops the ideas in the original, or at least has an honest ad campaign. :P

By my description, Superman 64 still wouldnt be a good game. Superman 64 was broken.

Im not saying you cant like a game. Im not saying you should feel bad for not liking it. Im not actually saying anything about you specifically, but commenting on the general attitude that Ive seen when it comes to discussing this game.

Some people tend to feel that because this game isnt exactly what they wanted, its a "bad" game.

Sheep on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    now all group 5 ppl are on my list!!

use aim or ventrilo to get in contact with me..

or pm me. whatever

ps. check the wiki!! group 5 is full now

http://padsgames.pbwiki.com/Contact%20Friend%20Codes
    Group 5 wasn't full, it is now though, I added myself and am in the process of adding everyone in it to my friends list. Anyone want to make contact later tonight? PM or post here i suppose :)

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
    edited November 2006
    Just started Group 6. Hopefully more folks will join in for Contacting!

Karilmat on
  • RenegadeDrizztRenegadeDrizzt Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Belenus wrote:
    Sleep wrote:

Thats just me.

I think you're missing his point. Contact's style is only going to appeal to a certain group of gamers (this is clearly a niche title)- that doesn't make it a bad game, it's just not your cup of tea. Superman 64, however, is just a broken game. Yes, this game has its flaws, but those flaws don't constitute the title of "bad" (unless it's the bad that equals totally awesome).

RenegadeDrizzt on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Woo! Just got the chef suit and so far charming fun all the way.

Do I find Wi-Fi island and then start contacting people or do I contact people in order to make Wi-Fi island appear?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Pink FrostyPink Frosty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Karilmat wrote:
    Just started Group 6. Hopefully more folks will join in for Contacting!

I just joined Group 6, but I'm not able to make contact at the moment. But later this afternoon, after work...

Pink Frosty on
    edited November 2006
    Ever the late optimist I have added my details to group 6 and am open on Wi -Fi until further notice. Contact me!

My code is 0301 - 4892 - 6652 for those who've lost faith in the group system at this late stage.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2006
    For those of you in Group 6, I'll be on tonight for Contact-ing at or around 10pm Central time. If anyone is on, see you then!

Karilmat on
    edited November 2006
    Ever the late optimist I have added my details to group 6 and am open on Wi -Fi until further notice. Contact me!

My code is 0301 - 4892 - 6652 for those who've lost faith in the group system at this late stage.

Bottom paged.

Karilmat, that's like 6am for me :( I think not.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2006

Crazy Brits and your non-US time zones.

We'll make it work, maybe over the weekend? Is there a good time Saturday or Sunday?

Karilmat on
    edited November 2006
    Karilmat wrote:

We'll make it work, maybe over the weekend? Is there a good time Saturday or Sunday?

Quite possibly. Will post if I'm connected.

Edit: Off Wi-Fi for tonight.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hey, Group 5 peoples,
    Lets make moar contact! email me at edmo . suassuna at gmail . com when youar onlien.

Disclaimer: The typos are a joke. ;)

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • VGZedVGZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    On the Group 6

Hope to contact with you guys soon

VGZed on
    edited November 2006
    I am about and looking for group 6. Or anyone else really.

Edit: I say! What timing. Adding you now.

Edit 2: Added and searching.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • VGZedVGZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Excellente!

VGZed on
    edited November 2006
    Funky, You seem to be either wearing a red cloak or a red Nun's habit... You gave me massive wind resistance as far as I can tell. I hope that lasts!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2006
    Bah, I can't connect for some reason. I can connect fine when testing the connection, but once I try to add a friend, it doesn't work. Weak.

Karilmat on
    edited November 2006
    I'm off for the night. One Contact made, many to go.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2006
    Funky, You seem to be either wearing a red cloak or a red Nun's habit... You gave me massive wind resistance as far as I can tell. I hope that lasts!

Those ridiculous ears. Tsk, tsk, tsk. Wind resistance, son. Just wind resistance.

Sheep on
  • ethicalseanethicalsean Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Karilmat wrote:

Quite possibly. Will post if I'm connected.

Edit: Off Wi-Fi for tonight.

I'll keep an eye open for ya.

ethicalsean on
    edited November 2006
    My eveningly hope for group 6 contact. Need I be watching my DS all the time or can I just leave it connected and contact occur without my input?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DetoxDetox Registered User new member
    edited November 2006
    I just added myself to Group 6, hoping to make some contact. My friend code is 0387-3729-1897.

Detox on
    MKDS Code: 506.865.603.906
    ACWW Code: 2148-0946-1421 (Brian in Sturynia)
  • Pink FrostyPink Frosty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I should be around for some contacting later tonight as well. Group 6.

Pink Frosty on