As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I figured the cat was just sin physically manifesting, and it got into your board games.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    We went to a cafe yesterday to check out some games:

Tsuro - had fun with it! I kind of want to have it in our collection, but I'm currently just looking for longer games to add to mine, so I'm waiting for the other people to pick it up instead.
    The Bloody Inn - Also had fun with it! This makes for fun in- and post-game conversations that you wouldn't want nongamers to hear. A friend has called dibs on buying it.
    Five Tribes - This one, ah. If it weren't for the fact that same friend has also called dibs on it, I'd probably be set on getting it myself. Tickles the brain similarly to 7 Wonders, but player interaction is a lot less indirect. We played this one twice; the 2nd time we all had AP just... trying to maximize shit.

We also picked Zombie 15 and Mysterium for play on that session, but my buddies balked at the volume of components each game had so we put them off for later consumption.

Which brings me to a Mysterium question: I've watched the videos on How to Play it, so I'm reasonably sure I can teach it to everyone when we try it next time, but what's the best approaching to teaching it to them?

- As the ghost - Probably the best option, but I'd have to be very very careful not to influence their choices outside of what I, as a ghost can do.
    - As another psychic - Not feasible, because I'd have to coach the ghost on how to do things, which most likely means I have to peek behind the game screen. Possible only if the ghost already knows how to play.
    - Option C - purely as a teacher. Since we're at a cafe, hell no.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    You play the ghost. I'm not sure what you need to teach other than "make crazy guesses based on minor details in the cards I give you!"

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Picked up King of Tokyo today. Nice that it plays up to six, and I think my kids will dig it. They already like Zombie Dice so this should be a nice step up. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Vyolynce Oh, is that what they shipped out? I got some of the other stuff (case, expansions) so I thought they would just bulk ship if you didn't only order the foil heroes. Welp...mine is scheduled to arrive Monday!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I didn't get to play Captain Sonar today, but I did pull it out of the box and show my sister and father the components while I explained how the game works. About halfway through the second station, I saw the gears start turning in my father's eyes as he started realizing the strategic territory occupied by the game's various systems.

There were more than a few moments of, "So you could do X, to try and make Y happen... But then you're risking Z, right?" from both of them.

This game has something incredibly intuitive about it, and I think it results from how clearly the mechanics are separated from each other. The first mate does ONE THING. The engineer does ONE THING. The radio operator does ONE THING.

To have that clear demarcation and yet still make the systems so interdependent is a feat of game design, especially to do it in such a thematic package. I'm gathering a group of 8 tomorrow night to actually give this baby a run.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Finally had the heroes win in Catacombs last night. My wife was pissed, since it was her first time playing the monsters. That game is still real fun.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    @Vyolynce Oh, is that what they shipped out? I got some of the other stuff (case, expansions) so I thought they would just bulk ship if you didn't only order the foil heroes. Welp...mine is scheduled to arrive Monday!

I wouldn't be surprised of your expansions were part of the shipment, but yeah as far as I know it's just the foils.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yesterday was a full day.

Started with a netrunner "going away" tourney where we basically had our core players give a send off to our TO. 3 rounds due to time, and I lost all but 1 game (and even that one was somewhat lucky). New decks, no piloting before, not been playing regularly.. it happens.

Then I ran 2 games of Mansions of Madness as demos. First one was introductory, to brand new players.. the mansion set on fire and they were literally 1 action from being able to make it out, due to an investigator dying. They came SO close.. but they greatly enjoyed it.

Second was me and a couple buds doing the second scenario, which we'd never touched before. Innsmouth went up in flames, and one player got pissed because I kept questioning why he didn't take two actions in a row that would make sense... he was like "because I can't, don't question me" - and when I did, he showed me his insane card, which he wasn't supposed to do, but hey.

Seriously good day. The store sold all its copies of Eldrich Horror, Arkham Horror, Elder Signs, and Mansions of Madness.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I have a fun, very old, LotR CCG story to tell and this seems the best place for it. Because it's a long story, I'm gonna spoiler it into parts so you can read what you feel is necessary.

The Backstory:
    Back in mid 90s, Iron Crown games made a CCG out of the Lord of the Rings books. My friend was a huge Tolkien nerd and got us into the game. It was the first, and only, CCG I ever spent tons of money on buying booster packs. We played about once a week for several years, buying up all the expansions as they released. Eventually, they made it so players could be the heroes or play as the villains. A complex, but very thematic and mechanically sound game.

Quick LotR gameplay description:
    On a player's turn, they go from one site to another. The other players take turns playing Hazard cards (events, monsters, etc) to slow/kill them. Monsters had to be played based on the path traveled (Forests, Oceans, Dark Lands, etc), regions (Rohan, Rivendale, Moria, etc), or sites (The Shire, Mount Doom, etc). The number of hazards that could be played against you was equal to the size of your party, with a few exceptions. So generally, a party of 5 characters had 5 hazards playable against them.

Combat was resolved by taking a monsters strikes and prowess vs the defenders prowess plus a two 6-sided dice roll. Say an Ogre was played as a hazard and it was 2 strikes and a 10 prowess. The defender gets to choose who faces the strikes first. So let's say the player chooses Aragorn and Ori. Aragorn has a 6 prowess and a 9 body while Ori is a 2 prowess and 7 body. If Aragorn taps, he gets his full 6 prowess, meaning he'd need to roll a 4 or greater to defeat his strike. The player chooses not to tap Aragorn and suffers a -3 penalty, but has Ori tap to his full prowess.

Aragorn rolls an 8, adds his prowess of 6, then subtracts the 3 penalty. His total is an 11, which is greater than the strike so it is defeated. Next he rolls for Ori, getting a 3. He adds Ori's prowess of 2 to get a 5, which is less than the 10 attack of the Ogre. Ori is injured and must make a "body check". The player rolls and gets a 6. That's less than his body of 7 so he lives, but is now wounded (flipped upside down) and takes a -2 prowess/-1 body penalty until tapped or healed. Had the roll been greater than 7 he would have been killed and removed from the game.

The actual story:
    I'm playing with my friends Jim and Jason. Jason has decided to play an enemy deck consisting of orcs and ogres. Jim and I are both playing heroes with the usual mix of humans, elves, and dwarfs. My hazard strategy is built around orcs while Jim's was built around Dragons.

As the game gets going, Jason gets a great start and is able to bolster his party of 5 to 7 with a strong mix of weenie orcs to tank hits, some midrange orcs/ogres with items, and two big ogres to smash large threats. With his party size and the weapons he got a hold of, it was looking like he was going to run away with the game easy. The problem is that while my orcs can attack from just about anywhere, they require lots of successive attacks to be effective. Jason could stop them fairly easily with his large party. Jim's dragon deck required travel to the mountain areas or certain combo cards to be in play.

So the game progressed with Jim and I picking up a few items here and there while Jason ran free around the map uncontested. I spent a few turns putting event cards into play that would allow me to boost my orc hazards when they got played, but I still needed to find the right combination to make them work. But then it happened...

...it was forever known as "The Turn". Jason was extremely caught up in planning his next move and lost sight of his destination. He casually flipped over a dragon lair and declared he was traveling there. I looked up and Jim and saw he was already looking right at me. Our wordless stare spoke volumes. Jason done fucked up.

I started by Minions Stir which gaves Orcs +2 strikes & prowess this turn. Jim attacked with a Cave Drake (2s/10p). Jason dealt with it and had two tapped Orcs. I then played Two or Three Tribes Present which made Orcs not count against the hazard limit this turn. It was then that Jason realized he was in deep trouble.

That was 3 hazards played. What followed was an alternating barrage of orcs and dragons that shredded his incredibly powerful party into mush. My normal pitiful Orc Patrol went from a 3s/6p to a 5s/8p buzzsaw. The Orc-Warband went from 5/4 to 7/9. Then the Uruk-Lieutenant hit for 3/12. Finally the Orc-Lieutenant hit for 3/14. Jim played for extra dragons (various Drakes and Smaug himself), each at 2-3 strikes at 12-15 prowess.

After the carnage finished, we reviewed the damage. Jason's super party was reduced to just a pair of wounded Orcs, one mid-level Orc and a weenie. His powerful leaders were dead and all of his weapons and items lost. Over an hour of dominating play reduced to ash in one turn because he forgot where he was going and what our decks contained. Halfway through the turn he accepted his fate and we just laughed about what was coming next and poured it on.

It seems a bit unfair when I tell it this way, but it did require a lot of very specific card combos to be in play along with him traveling to specific regions to get targeted. Had he stuck to safer areas the game would have been his quite easily. But the he got too greedy in trying to play a powerful item to boost his score even higher and got punished accordingly.

Hope you enjoy the story and didn't get too overwhelmed by the technical details. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Local place had 5 or 6 copies of Captain Sonar on the shelves.

Damn my depleted gaming budget.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

We tried it 3v3 last night; it's pretty entertaining but really hard to do properly on the floor of a FLGS game night.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Tomorrow, Pandemic begins again! Can't wait!

Already have next Monday tentatively scheduled for another night to get us back on track.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Check if they have the promos (either the Europe-exclusive Foxtrot map or the N.A. exclusive Chicago and New York maps). If they do, see if they'll hold the promos (or even the game!) for you until you have the money. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We tried The Others yesterday and it was... okay.

It devolves to lots of dice rolling quickly and the Sin Turtle strategy is not very fun and really one of the only things the Sin player has to do. Plus I used Gluttony who just ends up swamped with cards and reaction tokens.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Eclipse arrived this morning. Hopefully should get a game of it in tomorrow night, woop! I guess there'll be a decent amount of setup time the first time around along with learning the rules.

In that vein, I understand that there might be some videos online which would explain the rules I can send in advance to folks. Does anyone know any particularly good content creators for that kind of stuff?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Watch It Played YouTube channel is usually very good. SUASD have started doing rules explanations as well.

I would try and set up as much of Eclipse as you can beforehand. Lots of fiddly cubes to place on the race sheets and tiles to pile up.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely do it at a place you can setup everyone beforehand, and have people just show up and sit down.

If it's the first time for a lot of people, you don't want to waste much time getting started.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Just received Vast: Crystal Caverns in the mail. The shipping was super quick. I can't wait to get the rules read and get a two player game in with the wife. Also set up a trade on BGG my copy of Champions of Midgard for Cyclades. I have been hunting for Cyclades since I got into the hobby and finally found someone willing to trade. I blind purchased Champions of Midgard earlier this year and it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Finally, I dove into my first BGG Math Trade over the weekend. I put up Alhambra, The King is Dead, Level 7: Omega Protocol and Hegemonic. Games that just have not seen the table since I bought them. It seemed super overwhelming at first but once you get into it it is a pretty straight forward affair. It closes tomorrow so we'll see if I get any favourable trades.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Also, if you find that you do like the game and see it hitting the table often I would recommend 2 things:

1) http://www.thebrokentoken.com/eclipse-resource-trays/ to keep those stupid little cubes from sliding all over the fucking place

2) http://www.gametrayz.com/eclipse-game-trayz.html to keep all the tech tiles organized

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Eclipse arrived this morning. Hopefully should get a game of it in tomorrow night, woop! I guess there'll be a decent amount of setup time the first time around along with learning the rules.

In that vein, I understand that there might be some videos online which would explain the rules I can send in advance to folks. Does anyone know any particularly good content creators for that kind of stuff?

Get some plano boxes for all the bits, and spend a little time sorting everything and storing them in specific points. Also, it can be helpful to get some bags to put the tokens you get for winning battles (I forget the name at the moment), and the discovery tiles that you have to pull randomly. It makes it easier to actually make it random. I appropriated some cheap "velvet" dice bags I had laying around, and whenever we have to pull random tiles, I let people grab them from the bag.

If you really like Eclipse, consider getting the broken token box insert. It makes set up / tear down significantly faster and easier. For me, I have a few plano boxes to store everything, like I mentioned above, but even still, I feel the draw of the bit box storage. If my girlfriend liked Eclipse a little more, I'd get it, so that it'd be easier to convince her to play. As it is, she prefers lighter games like Blood Rage, so I only get to break out Eclipse with certain groups.

With no form of additional organization, expect first time set up to take probably 30-60 minutes (or more), depending on your familiarity. With prior organization and study, you can drop that down to 5-10 minutes. Considering that there is also a large amount of explanation to do to teach first-timers, anything you can do to reduce the physical set up time is a big, big help.

Also of huge help are these trays:
    Resource Trays

There are a few of these out there, and I wouldn't get them necessarily for the first play through where you're not sure if it'll click. However, the person who taught me Eclipse had them, and it made the entire game much more enjoyable, and also eases set up / tear down in a big way.

Can you tell that I really, really enjoy Eclipse? If you want, I can also look up the specific plano boxes that I have - they fit stacked up in the original box, and leave enough room to get the map hexes, ships, and baggies with the reputation tiles (that's the name!) and discovery tiles, all in one box. I don't think they're significantly cheaper than just the Broken Token organizer, but when I got eclipse, the plano boxes were the best solution available at the time.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »

I agree with the set up early sentiments. It can take a while to get it all up and running. I also put all the tokens into there own clear tubs that can be easily passed around but then just stored in the same container afterwards. I think Rahdo does a video run though and mostly gets the rules correct. At the very least you'll get a good idea for how the game is played.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    Oh man, I hadn't heard of Game Trayz before.

Immediately forwarded that to my friend who owns Splendor.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of Eclipse, and concur that it's a game in need of a few good organisers. The gametrayz oneswere the best I found (many don't include space for the expansion tiles), but shipping to another hemisphere was prohibitive so I ended up just making my own, which on the whole wasn't too hard and significantly cheaper overall. Still, if I lived in the US, I'd have probably just got the gametrayz ones.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    For our Imperial Assault campaign, I have been going to this site and customizing intros for (nearly) every mission we've completed. Imperial Assault spoilers, obviously:
    Any time "Zaxxon" is mentioned, that's a character used in place of the usual Jedi figure. Zaxxon comes from the D&D campaign we'd just completed, and the player grabbed his old dragonborn mini instead of using the Twi'lek from the IA box.

It begins
    Door-bustin' action
    Thanks, Zaxxon
    The GM Gives Up (The Rebels rolled a statistically unlikely number of dodges in this game)
    First you get the drugs...
    Almost done

We're finishing up the campaign tomorrow. Here's hoping it goes well!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Our board game club suddenly decided to actually do something with the money we'd accumulated in dues. Some of us met and had a comically impromptu and underprepared discussion and vote on what games to get. Then we bought four games. This is right after several members have just impulse-expanded their personal collections as well. No major new games for like, a year, and now at least six in the span of two weeks, help.

Kemet, Ankh-Morpork, Dogs of War, Scythe, Eclipse, Blood Rage.

Guess after a billion Terra Mystica plays we needed some more thematic and less euro'y stuff.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Our board game club suddenly decided to actually do something with the money we'd accumulated in dues. Some of us met and had a comically impromptu and underprepared discussion and vote on what games to get. Then we bought four games. This is right after several members have just impulse-expanded their personal collections as well. No major new games for like, a year, and now at least six in the span of two weeks, help.

Guess after a billion Terra Mystica plays we needed some more thematic and less euro'y stuff.

you are going to be so overwhelmed

those are some great games and you can't play them as much as you want because you have to play the other ones

RIP

sig.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »

That really reads like you guys decided you needed more adversarial stuff. Most of them are pretty good games though!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Particularly Scythe and Blood Rage are brilliantly themed.

Edit: What does the thread say about Core Worlds? I've played it a million times and I still might buy it because the bloke what owns it doesn't come to games as often anymore.

Also I had bonus games yesterday and it was super. We played Scythe twice and then to wind down we played SPEED BLOOD RAGE in like an hour or something.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Dogs Of War would actually be my favourite on that list. Though I'm a fan of games about petty moves and posturing.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    You guys are going to writhe and suffer in a crucible of decision paralysis with those six new games

(play Kemet and Blood Rage

also sell the other ones and buy Cthulhu Wars)

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    HEY FELLOW HUMAN BOARDGAMERS I HEARD THAT THE COOLEST PLACE FOR US BOARDGAME ENTHUSIASTS TO HANG OUT IS T h e G i a n t P i l l a r O f S e x u a l l y A r o u s i n g H a t s LETS GO DO NOT BRING WEAPONS

...dogs of war was an excellent choice

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Pandemic Legacy!
    June part deux is in the books with a W!

So excited and set us up for hopefully more success. Next game night is already scheduled for next Monday, so here we come July!

Edited with some details:
    We would make Trump proud with the wall if roadblocks we built. So far with all of the end game upgrades we have all but two routes out of the faded region blocked off. We would have them all, but last game it spread out of Africa into black, taking it from one route to four. Even so, the two routes are easily placed in Chicago on the first turn, so we shouldn't have to worry about them fading non-yellow cities.

Last night started poorly, drawing two faded cities as some of the 3 cube starting infections, as well as a 2 cube. However, things quickly turned around as we kept them quarantined, completely blocked off Miami so it couldn't outbreak, and found a cure for black early. Yellow kept getting drawn, but only Khartoum reached 3 faded, and I quarantined it so it didn't outbreak when it could have.

Ended up with only one outbreak in the whole game, and it was due to epidemic placing three cubes then being drawn again. Fortunately we had cleared the three cube red cities down to 2 or less so it didn't chain or hit us and give us scars.

Black kept being drawn as well after it was eradicated, which was nice. We're up to three boosts on black, one on blue, and none for red. Hoping to get one on red or blue next game.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Punched out the frankly ridiculous number of pieces for Eclipse. Came with just the right number of bags for all the different pieces. So storage honestly doesn't seem too bad.

Think I've got a handle on the rules, at least enough to get the game started up anyway... We'll have to see what happens when missiles start flying.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Check up on bankruptcy. Sometimes it's a clever tactical move to overspend and then get shot of some useless dead space to balance the books.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Black kept being drawn as well after it was eradicated, which was nice.

The best feeling.

• Options
    TheSmackerTheSmacker Registered User regular
    Someone in the local boardgame group posted they're trying to get a game of TI3 going this weekend. I've always been interested but I'm pretty sure my wife will divorce me if I go spend all Saturday playing. :(

• Options
    TheSmacker wrote: »
    Someone in the local boardgame group posted they're trying to get a game of TI3 going this weekend. I've always been interested but I'm pretty sure my wife will divorce me if I go spend all Saturday playing. :(

I actually got to play TI3 in person about a month ago.

The wives won. My girlfriend, who is the best, was the only one not to express concern that we'd been pretending to be spacelords all day.

So I guess my girlfriend won?

• Options
    Does it... Get a bit much?