As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PlayStation Plus Subscription Price Increasing

Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud FatherHouse GardenerRegistered User regular
Starting on September 22, 2016, Prices for PlayStation Plus memberships will change to $59.99 USD/ $69.99 CAD for twelve months

and $24.99 USD/$29.99 CAD for three months.
The monthly plan will change to $11.99 CAD in Canada, and remain $9.99 USD in the U.S.

If you are a current member, the new prices will take effect if your membership renews on or after this date.

The new pricing reflects the current market conditions while enabling us to continue providing exceptional value to our members. As a member, you will continue to enjoy the benefits and features that enable shared experiences, such as online multiplayer, free games, and exclusive discounts. You will also continue to get exclusive benefits such as online game save storage and discounts across the PlayStation digital services.

If you do not wish to continue your subscription, please be sure to cancel it by turning off auto-renewal in your account settings before September 22, 2016.

Prior to the games provided by ps plus, I've had a strong appreciation of the free online multiplayer services on the ps3.
I became an early subscriber of playstation plus, fairly content paying for the excellent games on subscription.

It was a really great deal that provided a bunch of good games throughout the end of the ps3 lifecycle.
Though, I didn't support the newer restriction of multiplayer services into PS+ only.
I found the first year of ps plus on the PS4 to be an excellent deal for similar reasons.
I'm a bit at an impasse with the new price increase from $49.99 to $59.99, especially if they are not going to provide additional services.

Are you folk going to resub for another year?
I don't feel like I received, saved or played $50 bucks of value from the last year, so I'm hesitant to go forward.

VayBJ4e.png

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I absolutely got 50 bucks worth of content, no question

But then I play all the free games that interest me when I'm bored of games I bought, and I play online a heck of a lot.
    I don't like that online multi is for plus subs only but meh, I don't like that my phone and internet and gas costs money either but I need those things so I pay for them.

• Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I got a ton of of value from it, and honestly if you keep a keen eye on sales you will probably find a good price on a one year membership card.

BillyIdle on
    PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm wondering how going without ps+ would affect most singleplayer experiences.
    Would something like Dark Souls essentially be played offline?
    I haven't really had a stretch of time without ps+ since the multiplayer services were floated in.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an ***hole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase a Playstation Plus subscription, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and lower the price of Playstation Plus or you can kiss your business goodbye.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    God bless you -Tal

Sometimes, I wonder if you pull bad comments from other sites,
    or if you, as I hope,
    invent them whole cloth- tailored to mirror the goofballs of our time.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    God bless you -Tal

Sometimes, I wonder if you pull bad comments from other sites,
    or if you, as I hope,
    invent them whole cloth- tailored to mirror the goofballs of our time.

i'm a fraud

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11960243

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Aw, I still love ya!

Looking at this month's games

Rebel Galaxy, PS4
    Yakuza 5, PS3

these are both really good. But like most of the past year, they are games I've already purchased.
    It would probably be a better deal for me, if I was less of a playstation consumer.

Might be a good deal for folk planning to get a VR headset eventually, but holding off from buying those games?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll resubscribe. Just comparing how functional PSN is now compared to the wilderness years before, I'm happy to contribute to upkeep and maintenance. And $10 more a year won't break the bank for me.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I haven't paid full price for a year if subscription in ages. The cards are constantly on sale.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited August 2016
    Ten dollars is fine. I heard they were raising prices and was afraid itd hit $100 per year like Amazon prime cause that's about how much it'd have to be for me to think about not reupping every year

Whippy on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    ugh $20 more ain't nothing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Aw, I still love ya!

Rebel Galaxy, PS4
    Yakuza 5, PS3

these are both really good. But like most of the past year, they are games I've already purchased.
    It would probably be a better deal for me, if I was less of a playstation consumer.

Might be a good deal for folk planning to get a VR headset eventually, but holding off from buying those games?

Fuck
    I need to get the ps3 out of the box and get yakuza 5

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Canadians getting pretty screwed over here.

Our dollar isn't great, but it isn't nearly so low that 10 bucks US is 20 over here.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Aw, I still love ya!

Rebel Galaxy, PS4
    Yakuza 5, PS3

Fuck
    I need to get the ps3 out of the box and get yakuza 5

Just log onto the web store and purchase the free game.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Canadians getting pretty screwed over here.

Our dollar isn't great, but it isn't nearly so low that 10 bucks US is 20 over here.

59.99 US converted to 69.99 CAD is about right, though

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I never have bought a subscription a year at a time.

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i just ask for subscriptions as a birthday or xmas gift

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    That's actually not terrible on the CAD front

S6T5cut.png

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    If you directly compare the new prices it's move favorable.

But if you compare the price increase, it sucks.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    It's been worth it for me, even without the free games (which have been mostly bad, Gone Home and Rocket League aside)

The PS Plus discounts and the multiplayer justify it for me

• Options
    10$ is not equivalent to $20, regardless of the final price. I don't see why you shouldn't expect a canadian user to feel shortchanged.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    It would probably feel less shitty if the increase happened over time. Like new games are 80 here now, but they didn't just jump from 60 to 80. Over the last couple years, as the dollar dropped, prices gradually went up.

A sudden 20 dollar price hike is really dramatic and a big blow to the wallet.

• Options
    It would probably feel less shitty if the increase happened over time. Like new games are 80 here now, but they didn't just jump from 60 to 80. Over the last couple years, as the dollar dropped, prices gradually went up.

It's $ canadian 20 a year though.

• Options

It's $ canadian 20 a year though.

how much more do you think canadians are paid than americans to compensate for the dollar

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    A bit weird that there's no grandfathering period for current members, and yeah them ultimately deciding "we're charging you more money because it means we get to make more money" is kind of iffy, but it's pretty standard operating procedure considering console hardware is just going to become more and more a medium for their online marketplace.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    it would be cool though if they fixed the download speeds

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    I let my sub lapse a few months ago and won't be re-upping for a good while. I've only ever played a handful of the free games and the only game I've bought where multi was a big deal was The Taken King (Bloodborne disappointingly didn't have much in the way of multi).

I've given away my PS3, barely play my Vita and the next games I plan on getting for the PS4 are Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5. I think it's probably still decent value though.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    20 extra dollars a year is like 38 cents a week

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Even if I only play online occasionally and only download a few things a year I'd still pay for psplus. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I want to play online or stream or something and I'm unable.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    They already go on sale a lot so I'm not too worried - but to be honest I thought it already was $60.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I like playing Overwatch, so I think I'm pretty much on the hook no matter what.

But no complaints at this point.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I would guess that ps plus is quite price inelastic at this point

like they could jack the price up to $100 and it seems like a lot of PS users would pay it rather than switch all their multiplayer gaming to steam or xbox

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I think part of the issue that currently, the price point was the only thing that made PS+ competitive with Xbox Live Gold. XBLG has offered better free games as of late, as well as making it so that said games don't require keeping a subscription to play. With this increase and no compensating factor, it's no contest.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    I wasn't paying PS Plus before, and I'm not going to start now

But then again I AM a cheapskate

• Options
    Zython wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

I think part of the issue that currently, the price point was the only thing that made PS+ competitive with Xbox Live Gold. XBLG has offered better free games as of late, as well as making it so that said games don't require keeping a subscription to play. With this increase and no compensating factor, it's no contest.

Yeah, I think they've sold enough units that they don't feel the need to be as competitive.
    Especially with PS+ being relatively young, and this not being the first price increase.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    As someone that rarely plays online games, I basically think of it like one of those "Lootcrate" "Humble Monthly Bundle" style things. For $5/month I'm getting 2 free random games that I may or may not like/need. I know I don't get to keep them after I stop subscribing, but I'm ok with it, it's kind of a fun game to see what they give me.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I mean, back when they first announced they'd start charging for multiplayer on PS4, that was kind of the same reaction too

Like okay, that's fine if you put some of that money into making sure your servers are not continuously a dumpster fire?

Sadly that didn't really happen

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I was idly letting my subscription auto renew even though I haven't really used it in a long time. Getting the price increase notification gave me the motivation I needed to cancel that until there's something I actually want to use it for

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1