As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Quiet Year] Autumn descends, the year half done.

124»

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Without law, we flounder in chaos of individual will. The perpetrators must be found.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Though Martil and her offshoot band of wayward worshipers are worrying in their own right, I agree that no crime should go uninvestigated. Now is not the time for the community to fracture into factions.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Martil implores her followers to forgive and rebuild.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    A witch-hunt would damage our community while we still face external threats. We should ignore the act of vandalism.

End of Week 23
    Abundance: Religious texts, hide, lumber, weapons, "mushrooms"
    Scarce: Energy, Livestock
    Projects: Training a militia (complete), rebuilding the cairns (1 week), investigating the pyramid (2 weeks)
    Names: Akiba the tattooed arrival, Jal the brewer, Martil the child-prophet, Van the shepherd

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Week 24, Summer - 10♦
    You discover a cache of supplies or resources. Add a new Abundance.
    or...
    A Scarcity has gone unaddressed for too long! Start a project that will alleviate that Scarcity.

@BeNarwhal, it's your turn.

• Options
    SUMMER - Week 24

Projects: Rebuilding the cairns (complete!), investigating the pyramid (1 week)
    Names: Akiba the tattooed arrival, Jal the brewer, Martil the child-prophet, Van the shepherd

While we have made improvements to the security and treatment of our herd animals, it is critical to both our faith and our survival that we grow the herd ever larger. To that end, the shepherds begin a breeding program to vastly grow our herd. This project should take 5 weeks.

Meanwhile, the shepherds and other faithful of the foothills finish rebuilding the stone cairns according to precise instructions in our religious texts.

RQbFR2H.png

For my turn, I start a project. The growing packs of the Ebonwolves cannot be ignored, and so many of our newly-trained fighters have banded together to hunt down the vile creatures. The hunt should take 3 weeks.

END of Week 24

Projects: Investigating the pyramid (1 week), livestock breeding program (5 weeks), hunting Ebonwolves (3 weeks)

• Options
    edited August 2016
    T4AlFmf.png
    Week 25, Autumn - J♣
    A project finishes early. Which one? Why?

If there are no projects underway, restlessness creates animosity, and animosity leads to violence. Who get hurt?

The community takes its internal frustrations out on the ebonwolves, and the hunt is swift, merciless. Shot with arrow, driven to their dens with fire, their young dashed against rocks. If there are any ebonwolves left, they have fled the valley. We shall no longer be stalked by the shadows-that-move.

8R244Li.png

Mid-week
    Projects: Investigating the pyramid (complete), livestock breeding program (4 weeks)

@kedinik, what have we learned from the pyramid?

simonwolf on
  • Options
    Our scouts find evidence that the pyramid was used as a border fort by an old empire, and that it remains in surprisingly good condition.

They also report that the green marsh lights caused them no trouble while they were exploring the pyramid.

• Options
    I discover something new. Huge, clawed footprints, deeply pressed into the soil, are found in region the quadrupeds fled.

H9cKSag.png

• Options
    Week 26, Autumn - 7♣
    A project just isn't working out as expected. Radically change the nature of this project (don't modify the project time). When it resolves, you'll be responsible for telling the community how it went.
    or...
    Something goes foul and supplies are ruined. Add a new Scarcity.

@kedinik, it's your turn.

• Options
    A brood of saltworms breach the walls of the food-storage cave, and devour most of our rocksalt crystals before we can drive them off. Terrible luck.

We now suffer a rocksalt scarcity.

GFw5w0u.jpg

I begin a project: Several of Martil's followers vow to prove Martil is no murderer; they begin exploring deep in the cave network for evidence of the five missing followers' fates. The investigation will take 4 weeks.

Week 26
    Scarce: Energy, livestock, rocksalt
    Projects: Investigating the pyramid (complete), livestock breeding program (3 weeks), investigating the missing followers (4 weeks)

• Options
    Week 27, Autumn - A♣
    The community becomes obsessed with a single project. Which one? Why? Choose one:
    - They decide to take more time to ensure that it is perfect. Add three weeks to the project time.
    - They drop everything else to work on it. All other projects fail.

@credeiki, it's your turn.

• Options
    The community becomes obsessed with the missing followers. Some worry that Martil will try to cover up their murders, and go along with the search parties to provide accountability. Others have been spurred on by the image of missing lambs in need of rescue and feel guilt that they did not search sooner. Still others believe the answer is not in the cave, but in the swamps. All other projects fail as the entire community mobilizes.

w2esmfm4ztay.jpg

Week 27
    Projects: livestock breeding program (canceled), investigating the missing followers (3 weeks)

• Options
    The days are getting shorter, and we need to prepare for winter. I start a project: we will work on crafting our hides, from the grazers and from the ebonwolves, into warm jackets and blankets for the entire community (4 weeks).

lberjjivwh2j.jpg

End of week 27
    Projects: investigating the missing followers (3 weeks), hide coats and blankets (4 weeks)

• Options
    Week 28, Autumn - 8♣
    Someone sabotages a project, and the project fails as a result. Who did this? Why?
    or...
    Someone is caught trying to sabotage the efforts of the community. How does the community respond?

• Options
    Autumn, Week 28

Projects: investigating the missing followers (failed!), hide coats and blankets (3 weeks)
    Names: Akiba the tattooed arrival, Jal the brewer, Martil the child-prophet, Van the shepherd, Rodrick the shepherd

As several of Martil's faithful investigate the deepest parts of the caverns, the tunnel suddenly collapses behind them, burying them under tonnes of rock and sealing their fate. While the community reels from the shock of the tragedy, one of the wizened shepherds clambers up onto a nearby outcropping of rock and claims responsibility for the collapse. His name is Rodrick and he explains that, as a shepherd, he is duty-bound to protect the old ways of our people ... by whatever means necessary. He fears the community has strayed too far from its faith, and he claims his hand was forced when the fervor of the investigation ruined the efforts of the shepherds and their livestock breeding program.

I start a discussion. It would appear the divide in our community grows ever deeper. What, if anything, can be done to heal this schism?

lberjjivwh2j.jpg

• Options
    If the community cannot learn to live together, it must learn to live apart. Perhaps another exodus is necessary.

• Options
    Our traditions have kept us together up until this point; we are only falling apart because we fail to follow them.

• Options
    Martil preaches that Rodrick must be forgiven, but also jailed in order to keep the community safe.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Our faith must guide us in these trying times. The answers to all of our challenges must surely lie within our sacred texts.

End of Week 28

Projects: hide coats and blankets (3 weeks)
    Names: Akiba the tattooed arrival, Jal the brewer, Martil the child-prophet, Van the shepherd, Rodrick the shepherd

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    Week 29, Autumn - K♣
    A natural disaster strikes the area. Choose one:
    - You focus on getting everyone to safety. Remove an Abundance and a project fails.
    - You focus on protecting your hard work and supplies at any cost. Several people die as a result.

The earth rumbled, rock fell, the world turned upside down. It may have only lasted a short time, but it was long enough. The shepherds and fire-watchers unified, however briefly, to safely herd everyone to the hillground and paddock, and no life was lost. But returning to the mountains, a wing of the cave system was found collapsed; the one where the stockpile of hides were kept, the coats and blankets buried or ruined under earth and stone.

I start a project. Too long we have been at each other like knives in the dark, floundering in anarchy. We shall gather among the cairns to create a system of laws that all can abide by. To consult the holy books, the new prophets, the shepherds, and reach amity among the community on these laws will take a long time: six weeks.

013lcyu.png

End of Week 29
    Abundance: Religious texts, lumber, weapons, "mushrooms"
    Projects: creating rule of law (6 weeks)

• Options
    Week 30, Autumn - 2♣
    Someone returns to the community. Who? Where were they?
    or...
    You find a body. Do people recognise who it is? What happened?

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Sherasa, a long-ranger, returns from an expedition to explore the lands outside of the valley. She began the dangerous journey before we even began our war with the Jackals.

Most importantly, she found a large cache of energy stones during her travels, and she is ready to lead an expedition to recover it.

I discover something new.

Our trackers find fresh tracks from the mysterious quadruped-stalking beast, but these tracks are much further into the valley—near the relocated quadruped herd, and so also somewhat near to our own pastures.

Our trackers have still yet to catch sight of the beast.

vgjyK65.png

End of Week 30
    Projects: creating rule of law (5 weeks)
    Names: Akiba the tattooed arrival, Jal the brewer, Martil the child-prophet, Van the shepherd, Rodrick the shepherd, Sherasa the long-ranger

kedinik on
  • Options
    Week 31, Autumn - Q♣
    Disease spreads through the community. Choose one:
    - You spend the week quarantining and treating the disease. Do not reduce project time this week.
    - Nobody knows what to do about it. Add 'Health and Fertility' as a Scarcity.

• Options
    A wasting cough spreads through the community, but our healer gives instructions as to the collection and preparation of herbal tonics, and prevents the afflicted from infecting the healthy. (Do not reduce project time this week)

With our hides and winter preparation destroyed, it becomes more urgent to retrieve energy stones which could power a heat generator through the winter. I start a project: a small expedition, led by Sherasa, will go to retrieve the stones she found (5 weeks).
    qhw7gpwtkmpk.png

End of Week 31
    Projects: creating rule of law (5 weeks), energy stone expedition (5 week)
    Names: Akiba the tattooed arrival, Jal the brewer, Martil the child-prophet, Van the shepherd, Rodrick the shepherd, Sherasa the long-ranger

• Options
    Week 32, Autumn - 6♣
    Introduce a dark mystery among the members of the community.
    or...
    Conflict flares up among community members, and as a result, a project fails.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Week 32

Projects: creating rule of law (failed!), energy stone expedition (4 weeks)

Despite the combined efforts of the community, no resolution could be found between the shepherds faction of traditionalist worshippers, and Martil's light-worshipping followers. The measured debates soon become heated arguments which soon devolve to threats of violence. For the interest of community safety the factions go their separate ways, abandoning any efforts to codify a set of laws.

Instead, some of the more obstinate traditonalists opt to construct a separate settlement, away from the community and closer to their sacred flocks and cairns in the foothills. I start a project. The construction of a sturdy longhouse will take the group 5 weeks, and they must hurry as Winter approaches.

qhw7gpwtkmpk.png

End of Week 32

Projects: creating rule of law (failed!), energy stone expedition (4 weeks), longhouse construction (5 weeks)

BeNarwhal on
  • Options
    Week 33, Autumn - 5♣
    The Parish arrives. Who are they? Why have they chosen your community, and for what?
    or...
    A small band of marauders is making its way through local terrain. How many are there? What weapons do they carry?

They came on their barge-flots from down river, sail and oar propelling them. Two dozen or so, but armed with steel, shield, their clothing thick and durable. They make landfall. Smoke rises across the river. Screams carry across the valley well into the night.

zwrD2Oq.png

I hold a discussion. If the community remains divided, we will fall - who must suffer for the greater good?

• Options
    Is is time for Martil to give up on her visions; they've only divided the community and lead to death and destruction. She should remember who she is--a child subject to the will of her elders--and resume her modest, subservient role in the community.

• Options
    I have held firm to the belief that the old ways - our pastoral traditions, our ancient texts, our blessed cairns - will see us safely through any storm. Martil and her followers are not only misled, but potentially ruinous. They must be brought back in line.

• Options
    Martil's followers have committed no acts of violence against the rest of the community, whereas Rodrick is a detestable outlaw under both the old and the new religious texts.

Our community will be whole again when Rodrick is punished.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Old and new are unable to find peace. One must be cast out utterly, and its people with it.

End of Week 33
    Projects: energy stone expedition (3 weeks), longhouse construction (4 weeks)

simonwolf on
  • Options
    Week 34, Autumn - 3♣
    Someone leaves the community after issuing a dire warning. Who? What is the warning?
    or...
    Someone issues a dire warning, and the community leaps into action to avoid disaster. What is the warning? Start a contentious project that relates to it.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Martil foretells that the community will be totally shattered, and all of us doomed, unless we build a new shrine dedicated to the reconciliation of old and new religious paths.

Many adherents to the old ways are moved by her words, and most of the community joins in on the project.

The reconciliation shrine will complete, if all goes according to plan, in 5 weeks.

I begin a project: Van the shepherd leads most of our warriors to disperse the marauders. The cocky young shepherd promises total victory within 2 weeks.

zwrD2Oq.png

End of Week 34
    Projects: Energy stone expedition (2 weeks), dispersing the marauders (2 weeks), longhouse construction (3 weeks), building the reconciliation shrine (5 weeks)

kedinik on
  • Options
    Week 35, Autumn - 10♣
    Harvest is here and plentiful. Add an Abundance.
    or...
    Cold autumn winds drive out your enemies. Remove a threatening force from the map and the area.

(this will be the last card before I get to America, so turns might be delayed some while I journey across the Pacific)

• Options
    Although many of our strongest community members are off on expeditions, those remaining at home still patrol for threats. We have not seen any new beast tracks this week, and suspect the cold autumn winds might have driven it--whatever it was--into hibernation.

n9lfnf5osk8t.png

I start a project: the cold has driven us into the caves more often lately; let us make good use of our time and begin to harvest rocksalt so we will be able to rely on our meat supply through the winter. The scarcity should be alleviated in 3 weeks of concerted effort.

End of week 35

Projects: Energy stone expedition (2 weeks), dispersing the marauders (2 weeks), longhouse construction (3 weeks), rocksalt harvest, building the reconciliation shrine (5 weeks)