As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sid Meier's: Civilization Beyond Earth

1686970717274»

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    ya I'm super all about Quick

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    The pacing on this game at default seems a lot slower than vanilla civ. Reminds me of the cbp pace where they stretched out the early eras in civ5. Not a really bad thing but it makes the early game especially a bit of a slog.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The pacing on this game at default seems a lot slower than vanilla civ. Reminds me of the cbp pace where they stretched out the early eras in civ5. Not a really bad thing but it makes the early game especially a bit of a slog.

Really? Standard speed feels way fast, to me, but I agree with most people here. Quick speed is definitely a lot of fun to play for BE.

It's kind of weird really. With Civ V it makes sense to play marathon because you're watching your civilization grow from banging rocks together to a contemporary civilization. With BE, quick speed seems more fitting because they're already in the future and technology develops so fast the farther you get that it wouldn't make sense to spend thousands of years developing nanotechnology.

*Sigh* I do enjoy this game.

masterthehero on
    hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Imo the early game of this is the most fun to me. I love exploring the new world you land on.

For regular civ, I love exploring but the mid to late game when I start rolling out factories and steamrolling the ai is my favorite part.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    After reading reviews, you guys and watching some LP's...
    I'll stay with the base game, sitting quietly in my Steam library, waiting for the next expansion/a huge deal on RT.

Oh, and playing SMAC/X meanwhile of course~!

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    (forgive me for being super-late, but until the Winter Sale, I hadn't been back to the store page in forever.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEl9kI2Aluw

"Three days off the boat, her Colonist unit was eaten by mindworms wolf beetles, the end."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So, I just upgraded to windows 10 and now BO doesn't work. Help?

I checked the files and it launched. Odd.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    So I've had a hankering for space Civ the last couple of days and booted it back up.

Have they still not got around to fixing the game not working in fullscreen mode?

• Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    So I just recently got around to this game, and I'm trying to play it on a 4K system... and, it's like, literally impossible to read anything without an actual magnifying glass.

I looked on google and got a bunch of results about modding files, which I'm not really comfortable with. I also tried adjusting the resolution in game, which went really, really, really poorly.

Is there any solution for this? Or should I just ask Steam for a refund? It seems really cool, and I'd like to play it, but if I can't read any of the text, it's kind of a waste.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Mods are stupid simple in the Firaxis Civ games. Really it'd be NBD to do that if you wanted.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular
    The stuff I saw on google wasn't "download this mod" it was "open these root files and change the code as follows", that's where my issue comes in. I haven't programmed since I wrote a few by the numbers games in the 1980s, because back then that was how you got your apple IIe to play games. Probably not going back into that stuff.

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    So I've had a hankering for space Civ the last couple of days and booted it back up.

Have they still not got around to fixing the game not working in fullscreen mode?

The entire game feels a bit abandoned. It's like they just want everyone to forget Beyond Earth happened.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    well i mean it did get a expansion pack at least

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    so did AC.

• Options

The entire game feels a bit abandoned. It's like they just want everyone to forget Beyond Earth happened.

It's a shame as I felt this game had the potential to be something great, but alas.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular

It's a shame as I felt this game had the potential to be something great, but alas.

I thought it was pretty underrated. I had great fun with it.

• Options
    mastertheheromasterthehero Professional Video Editor & Book Author Registered User regular
    I think they need to re-do Beyond Earth. Make it more like a true sequel to Alpha Centauri than a Civ 5 mod. I'd be more than happy to sink hours into it again.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The issue is they don't have the rights to AC.

Where AC really went looking for weird almost transhumanist fiction and explicitly made itself about a battle of various philosophies BE was about if you wanted to be a cool robot or an alien space monster or both.

Not really equally compelling there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

I thought it was pretty underrated. I had great fun with it.

Agreed - I actually thought it was pretty damn fun. The expansion helped a lot too

Although I think even more so than Civ5 it somehow suffered more from management decay. There was a certain point in the game I started to get really bored because every turn started to feel the same.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I'll say this in defense of BE, as a relative dilettante to the 4X genre: It's the only Civ game I've bought and played, because it was Sci-Fi; I couldn't give a crap about main-line Civ's historical theming.

BE gave me a Civ game with Sci-Fi trappings, and while there's (probably) better options out there, it scratches my every-so-often itch for a science fiction world colonizing/conquering game.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Honestly I was mostly waiting for more DLC for BE. It felt like most civ games to me: kinda ho-hum at launch, but amazing after the 2nd or 3rd expansion.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    I'll say this in defense of BE, as a relative dilettante to the 4X genre: It's the only Civ game I've bought and played, because it was Sci-Fi; I couldn't give a crap about main-line Civ's historical theming.

BE gave me a Civ game with Sci-Fi trappings, and while there's (probably) better options out there, it scratches my every-so-often itch for a science fiction world colonizing/conquering game.

@Nips

Go to Gog

Buy Alpha Centauri, it comes with the Alien Crossfire expansion.

Worship me as your beautiful and generous god.

• Options
    MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    I'm -still- jonezing for some SMAC/X multiplayer, if anybody would be interested...
    Can't be bothered with BE anymore, particularly now that Stellaris is out.

Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • Options
    I can't play AC, the graphics and interface are just way to dated for me.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The issue is they don't have the rights to AC.

Where AC really went looking for weird almost transhumanist fiction and explicitly made itself about a battle of various philosophies BE was about if you wanted to be a cool robot or an alien space monster or both.

Not really equally compelling there.

The Purity/Harmony/Supremacy divide really could've been compelling, I think. It's just that since every faction could pick every philosophy, there was basically no real exploration of or spokespeople for those ideas outside of a few blurbs when you leveled up your affinity rating.

Wasted potential seems to sum up a lot of Beyond Earth.

Still like it.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I think BE is pretty alright once you include rising tide; without that it's kind of simplistic/easy

mostly I just felt like there wasn't enough differentiation between the factions and to a lesser extent between the win conditions, and that kinda hurts replayability. Like in Civ5 there's a real feeling of 'oh man I'm next to genghis, fuck that guy' and so on, but in BE all the factions feel really same-y and sometimes I struggled to keep which was which straight even within the context of one playthrough. Likewise all the ideology win conditions were research/build the thing, then survive the apocalyptic war the AI inevitably declares until a predetermined amount of turns elapse.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Actually I was able to win several games based on pure diplomacy alone (and lost several games without a shot being fired.) The diplomacy system in the expansion makes it easy to have a peaceful co-existence with your Civs and I was happy to see I could win without ever going to war.

hk52krrtzsf6.gif
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I'm -still- jonezing for some SMAC/X multiplayer, if anybody would be interested...
    Can't be bothered with BE anymore, particularly now that Stellaris is out.

Is it possible to play by mail/hot-seat? Don't think I could do real time across time zones but asynchronous I would be down for.

It's been forever since I last played, though.