As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What's making me sick?

Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED!Registered User regular
Before anyone points it out, I will be seeing a doctor soon. I'm just in the bathroom at work so I figured this would be a good time to make this thread.

Basically this is what is happening for the last few days: I get a very pronounced bloating feeling in my stomach and a very uncomfortable lump in my throat. The only thing that makes the feelings go away is burping but sometimes it takes awhile before I can and the feelings return shortly thereafter. I'm taken tums, Prevacid and gas meds to no avail. Last time this happened I threw up and felt 100% better. No such luck this time.

So, any ideas? I appreciate it!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Are you tired? Weight change? Anything else going on besides those?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Under an unusual amount of stress?

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I haven't slept and I suppose my job is stressful in it's own way. I'm gonna see if eating helps.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Near 30? Time for some adult onset food allergies?

Maybe reviewing what you ate before these episodes would be interesting.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    it seems like its pretty connected to whats in your stomach. is there a similar time interval between eating and the onset of symptoms? do you typically eat the same things? did you eat the same thing the last time this happened and you threw up? A journal will be very helpful to your doctor at your appointment as well.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Sounds like acid reflux to me, speaking as someone who has acid reflux. One thing I've found that helps a lot is instead of just regular prevacid, using chewable prevacid complete (mint flavor) does wonders. You might also try pepto bismol, tums, and/or a different antacid than prevacid.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    This also sounds like how my milder attacks went before I had my gallbladder removed.
    After a bit it went from things like this to feeling like someone had just impaled me for a couple days straight.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    This is definitely GI (Gastro-intestinal) workup territory. It could be anything from an infection to acid reflux to motility issues to neurological issues to scarier things. The differential diagnosis for what you described is above 100, maybe even 1000 things that it could be.

It's less of what we (as laypeople) can do to help you identify it and more of how you can prepare for your doctor's visit to give them all the information that they need to get the right diagnosis.

Have you ever had this before? Was it in the past year? Was it a long time ago?

Are you having any pain? If so, where and how does it affect your day-to-day life?

What is the timing of your discomfort with regards to food or liquids? Does it occur immediately after or an hour later or not related?

Does it occur when you are sleeping?

Do you have any known allergies (to drugs or food or otherwise)?

What surgical history do you have (including dental work, a lot of people forget this)?

Do you have any other medical conditions? Are you taking any medication (over the counter, vitamin supplements, nutritional supplements, etc.)?

What is your family history of disease, including chronic illness, cancer, or heart problems?

They will ask you all of these on a full workup, and it's best to come in prepared. Don't answer these questions on this forum!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Also, unless you are having chest pain, don't go to an ER or urgent care and expect them to fix this. They will try to find what will kill you immediately, and not the underlying cause. Be sure to go to YOUR primary care physician. If you don't have one, you need to get one.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    I think I might get this. At least, the feeling sickish, then better after either puking or burping.

I've never managed to get diagnosed with anything. But I have figured some stuff out over time.

Triggers:
    • Anything that "sloshes" my stomach (so like, being driven by a shaky driver, being on a boat, jumping up and down...)
    • Getting air in my stomach (either by not swallowing correctly, drinking soda, eating something like rice or fluffy bread, eating too fast...)
    • When mucus runs down the back of my throat

Things that help:
    • Nose blowing, drinking tea, things that help with colds
    • Avoiding motion-sickness inducing modes of transportation
    • Avoiding soda
    • Eating slowly, especially something like crackers
    • Forcing my stomach to settle. This is hard to explain, but I've basically figured out that if I clench certain muscles, I can kind of force stuff to even out. It feels like all the solid stuff is forced down and the gas pulled up. Initially, doing this makes a really awful gurgling noise, but you can figure out how to do it quietly with some practice.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Are your bathroom habits normal? The fact you felt better after throwing up makes me wonder if you have an intestinal blockage but your symptoms are kinda all over the map.
    Do you have any kind of wierd pain or pressure in your back?
    Have you tried taking sinus meds?

The Combination of factors makes me wonder if you have a flu or virus but it would depend on how long you have had it. The motion sickness, mucus and nose blowing seems related to a sinus or ear infection, while the stomach and puking makes it sound like more of a general flu.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    This sounds like GERD to me. It can manifest itself in this fashion and the lump you are feeling can be mucus building up on the lining of your throat from where the stomach acid burns you.

<- Not a doctor. Go to a doctor.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Are your bathroom habits normal? The fact you felt better after throwing up makes me wonder if you have an intestinal blockage but your symptoms are kinda all over the map.

The Combination of factors makes me wonder if you have a flu or virus but it would depend on how long you have had it. The motion sickness, mucus and nose blowing seems related to a sinus or ear infection, while the stomach and puking makes it sound like more of a general flu.

That was Creagan, not Magus'.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    This is definitely GI (Gastro-intestinal) workup territory. It could be anything from an infection to acid reflux to motility issues to neurological issues to scarier things. The differential diagnosis for what you described is above 100, maybe even 1000 things that it could be.

It's less of what we (as laypeople) can do to help you identify it and more of how you can prepare for your doctor's visit to give them all the information that they need to get the right diagnosis.

Have you ever had this before? Was it in the past year? Was it a long time ago?

Are you having any pain? If so, where and how does it affect your day-to-day life?

What is the timing of your discomfort with regards to food or liquids? Does it occur immediately after or an hour later or not related?

Does it occur when you are sleeping?

Do you have any known allergies (to drugs or food or otherwise)?

What surgical history do you have (including dental work, a lot of people forget this)?

Do you have any other medical conditions? Are you taking any medication (over the counter, vitamin supplements, nutritional supplements, etc.)?

What is your family history of disease, including chronic illness, cancer, or heart problems?

They will ask you all of these on a full workup, and it's best to come in prepared. Don't answer these questions on this forum!

In addition to the timing relative to foods, any new foods you've added to your diet or something (or somewhere) you've been eating frequently or before more than one attack. GI symptoms aren't necessarily food, but they can be, and organizing as much information as you can is always helpful for the doctor.

• CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

That was Creagan, not Magus'.

It's worth noting that I do have chronically inflamed sinuses that are so swollen I can't smell anything.

But I threw those things in there anyway, because hey, maybe Magus is having mild allergy issues and didn't think to mention it. Anyway when you're constantly queasy it's good to know having a runny nose will make you puke. Figuring out that crying can make me puke (because it makes my nose run down my throat) was actually pretty helpful for me a few weeks ago.