As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think that means you won.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Check up on bankruptcy. Sometimes it's a clever tactical move to overspend and then get shot of some useless dead space to balance the books.

Is it bad that I initially read this post as advice for the thread for acquiring more boardgames, and not strategic advice for a specific boardgame?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Our board game club suddenly decided to actually do something with the money we'd accumulated in dues. Some of us met and had a comically impromptu and underprepared discussion and vote on what games to get. Then we bought four games. This is right after several members have just impulse-expanded their personal collections as well. No major new games for like, a year, and now at least six in the span of two weeks, help.

Kemet, Ankh-Morpork, Dogs of War, Scythe, Eclipse, Blood Rage.

Guess after a billion Terra Mystica plays we needed some more thematic and less euro'y stuff.

That really reads like you guys decided you needed more adversarial stuff. Most of them are pretty good games though!

That was definitely one of my goals when I went to the inner circle's secret decision meeting.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Is it ok to buy Captain Sonar knowing I would probably never play it?

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      CantidoCantido Registered User regular
      So Dark Souls and Bloodborne are each getting board/card games, and supposedly they are both excellent.
      http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/8/12404378/dark-souls-board-game-preview-gencon-2016

I'll probably only get the Bloodborne one.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    • Options
      ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      Is it ok to buy Captain Sonar knowing I would probably never play it?

If it wasn't ok to buy games you'd never play, my collection would only be like 5 games.

• Options
      admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      I am going to end up heavily invested in the Dark Souls game. But I just love that aesthetic and those miniatures are gorgeous.

• Options
      jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
      Oh wow, I forgot that Dead of Winter: The Long Night was coming out. It's a stand-alone game, but also is modular so I guess you can add parts of it to the original game? I know it has new locations like a bandit camp and a zombie testing lab. I don't quite understand how the games work together, but it sounds pretty neat.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
      jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      My BoardGameGeek profile
      Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    • Options
      AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
      jergarmar wrote: »
      Oh wow, I forgot that Dead of Winter: The Long Night was coming out. It's a stand-alone game, but also is modular so I guess you can add parts of it to the original game? I know it has new locations like a bandit camp and a zombie testing lab. I don't quite understand how the games work together, but it sounds pretty neat.

It's a standalone that you can interleave with the base game if you want to, according to my buddy who came back from Gencon with it.

We haven't tried it yet; there was an incident the last time we played DoW and it may be a bit before that's on the table again.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
      BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
      Cantido wrote: »
      So Dark Souls and Bloodborne are each getting board/card games, and supposedly they are both excellent.
      http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/8/12404378/dark-souls-board-game-preview-gencon-2016

I'll probably only get the Bloodborne one.

The Bloodborne game is pretty slick, provided that everyone understands that you really aren't trying to work together. Essentially, you're allowing the other players to tag along with you as you try to steal the most blood out of enemies before they do. Watch out for anyone who gravitates towards the flamethrowers; they're going to make you hurt.

GNU Terry Pratchett
      PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
      Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
      egc6gp2emz1v.png
    • Options
      WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
      Auralynx wrote: »
      jergarmar wrote: »

It's a standalone that you can interleave with the base game if you want to, according to my buddy who came back from Gencon with it.

We haven't tried it yet; there was an incident the last time we played DoW and it may be a bit before that's on the table again.

Go on....

• Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      edited August 2016
      The Kickstarter for Herbaceous went live today and man that game just looks perfect for my wife and I. If you like card games or beautiful (!!!!) art and unique themes definitely check this one out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh45TUasaTw

Look at these cards! So pretty!
      pic2948992.jpg

Ah_Pook on
    • Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      Got our first game of Vast in tonight: Knight vs. Goblins vs. Cave. Mistakes were made (Knight was moving though Dark tiles without encountering them because the rules didn't specify) and rules questions aplenty (does the collapse begin on the Cave's next turn — like the rules say — or on the next turn — like the "Cave" reminder card says? Important if the Goblins cause a Cave-In in the interim...) but the Knight succeeded in smashing five crystals and escaping, although she did so with only one HP left (I had only collapsed one crystal tile).

Definitely going to give this another go soon, probably Thursday night!

• Options
      AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
      Got to try Burgle Bros.

I thought the box was much bigger from what you guys and other board game discussing types have posted. It's tiny!

Very good game, though. We eked out a narrow victory in a 2-man heist with an assist from a really timely invisibility suit.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
      DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      I really like Star Realms.
      Does anyone Have an opinion on hero realms?
      I am thinking of late pledging but maybe the privé is to steep.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
      I really like Star Realms.
      Does anyone Have an opinion on hero realms?
      I am thinking of late pledging but maybe the privé is to steep.

To steep, or not to steep? That is tea question.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    • Options
      VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      Ah_Pook wrote: »
      The Kickstarter for Herbaceous went live today and man that game just looks perfect for my wife and I. If you like card games or beautiful (!!!!) art and unique themes definitely check this one out!

The designer getting his mom to do the KS pitch is inspired.

• Options
      El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
      My first Math trade results came in last night. I got 3 trades all told, I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'll be mailing out my copies of Hegemonic, Level 7 [Omega Protocol] and The King is Dead. I will be receiving Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise, Twilight Struggle and Horus Heresy.

I'm pretty excited about Hare and Tortoise and Twilight Struggle and okay with Horus Heresy. Now to send out the trade proposals and get my games shipped.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
      Origin: theRealElMucho
    • Options
      BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
      Listening to the SUASD podcast about the Arham Horror LCG. They're not especially keen, saying it feels far more mechanical than thematic. Disappointing, but I shall have a look at other reviews nearer the release. My ardour has been cooled somewhat.

• Options
      Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
      Bogart wrote: »
      Listening to the SUASD podcast about the Arham Horror LCG. They're not especially keen, saying it feels far more mechanical than thematic. Disappointing, but I shall have a look at other reviews nearer the release. My ardour has been cooled somewhat.

But remember, they think Arabian Nights is one of the best games ever.

If YOU think the game seems fun, give it a chance.

• Options
      BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
      I think the idea of a solo LCG based on Cthulhu sounds nifty, and have gained a half-idea of the game itself from a single demo video from Team Covenant. I have no idea if it's fun or not.

• Options
      I think the idea of a solo LCG based on Cthulhu sounds nifty, and have gained a half-idea of the game itself from a single demo video from Team Covenant. I have no idea if it's fun or not.

Have you tired the LOTR game? It's really going to be very similar to that with the same depth of theme (i.e. very little). There was a pretty great playthrough of the game I watched on Youtube. It certainly told me whether I wanted it or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjkMVLgouts

• Options
      Magic Pink wrote: »

Arabian Nights IS one of the greatest games ever, though.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    • Options
      Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
      The Dark Souls boardgame seems like it's going to be mechanically similar to a game design I've been mulling for a while in the "group of characters fight a big boss monster" genre.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    • Options
      antheremantherem Registered User regular

Their reaction from the "after dark" live podcast (backed up by a friend who demoed the AH LCG at GenCon) seemed like "If you like Arkham Horror you'll like this, if you were disappointed by the theming in Arkham Horror, you probably won't like this either."

• Options
      Astaereth wrote: »

There is literally zero "game" to Arabian Nights at all.

• Options
      JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
      These are both correct statements.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    • Options
      JonBob wrote: »

Yeah, I don't hold it against anyone for loving the experience of the thing.

Bu as far as gameplay decisions and strategy and what not they're just aren't any. It's a group choose your own adventure with a needlessly complex way of choosing what entry to read (even tho I liked that part).

Plus the few bullshit offensive rules didn't help it.

• Options
      QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
      Ah_Pook wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh45TUasaTw

Look at these cards! So pretty!
      pic2948992.jpg

Hmmm, it does look very pretty but I already own fungi, and this seems...very similar. But I'm also a sucker for pretty games about food.

• Options
      BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Bu as far as gameplay decisions and strategy and what not they're just aren't any. It's a group choose your own adventure with a needlessly complex way of choosing what entry to read (even tho I liked that part).

So its a wargame? Wargames are choose your own adventures with a complex way of choosing which path to take, and very little provided story.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    • Options
      PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      edited August 2016
      Brody wrote: »

So its a wargame? Wargames are choose your own adventures with a complex way of choosing which path to take, and very little provided story.

It's the degree to which there is a meaningful contest in which skill or effort influences results that differentiates, I think.

Powerpuppies on
      sig.gif
    • Options
      BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
      We wrapped up our Imperial Assault campaign!
      Final Boss Darth Vader is some straight-up OP bantha poodoo.

The Imperial player was generating enough threat to summon a new 12-HP Elite Guard every round, which made everything very difficult. After clearing out an initial infestation of Stormtroopers and a surprisingly accurate E-Web, the Guards were just awful, dedicating their lives to standing in front of doors and just stepping on our toes. We finally powered through the final door by blowing it open from a distance, which caused Darth Vader to a) stand in a corner and ignore us, forcing us to go on the offensive before time ran out and then b) run into the middle of the room and just start destroying everyone.
      The other Imperial characters just ran interference, blocking lines of sight for the General to prevent him from easily commanding other rebels from doing stuff. Finally, we were all out of stamina and got flattened within 2 rounds of Vader's appearance.

It was ultimately a very disappointing "final boss" from the Rebel's side, because it was just a sheer steamroll that Vader could cross the room and start massacring us in no time at all. The Imperial player did enjoy it, though, as the campaign had been building up for so long and he finally was able to start wailing on us the way we'd been cutting down his characters.

GNU Terry Pratchett
      PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
      Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
      egc6gp2emz1v.png
    • Options
      I think Project: ELITE is finally on the way.

...I literally do not even know what to expect at this point.

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Bursar wrote: »

The Imperial player was generating enough threat to summon a new 12-HP Elite Guard every round, which made everything very difficult. After clearing out an initial infestation of Stormtroopers and a surprisingly accurate E-Web, the Guards were just awful, dedicating their lives to standing in front of doors and just stepping on our toes. We finally powered through the final door by blowing it open from a distance, which caused Darth Vader to a) stand in a corner and ignore us, forcing us to go on the offensive before time ran out and then b) run into the middle of the room and just start destroying everyone.
      The other Imperial characters just ran interference, blocking lines of sight for the General to prevent him from easily commanding other rebels from doing stuff. Finally, we were all out of stamina and got flattened within 2 rounds of Vader's appearance.

It was ultimately a very disappointing "final boss" from the Rebel's side, because it was just a sheer steamroll that Vader could cross the room and start massacring us in no time at all. The Imperial player did enjoy it, though, as the campaign had been building up for so long and he finally was able to start wailing on us the way we'd been cutting down his characters.

Have you read Vader Down? It's a comic book collection and shows Vader absolutely demolishing troops. Makes the movies seem like he was holding back. I think power creep has just been growing though to make him super powered.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      FryFry Registered User regular
      Bursar wrote: »

That's the "hard" finale, although the other one is not a cakewalk, either. Still, it is quite winnable. Your big hitters should be throwing 3+ dice per attack, which can cause 6+ damage in a single action. Hopefully some of your characters picked up access to Pierce or defense dice removal over the course of the campaign - I don't think it's too spoilery to say that no matter what path your campaign takes, at some point you're going to run into opponents that have multiple defense dice and/or lots of bonus blocks. If you had managed to remove both Elite Royal Guards in the same round, the IP would have to save up threat for two rounds in order to redeploy, which buys you a lot of time to make progress on the doors and moving towards the objective. You mentioned that you had Gideon on your team, who should have Masterstroke by then, allowing him to give your biggest hitter an additional two attacks per round for another huge pile of damage. Due to the mission rules, Vader is going to lightsaber somebody to death very quickly, but hopefully you're burning him down almost as quickly, and hopefully you didn't bunch up so much that Vader could use Brutality to murderize two of the rebels at the same time.

• Options
      EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
      edited August 2016
      I just played the first game of the Lord of the Rings LCG that I really enjoyed. I've got the first couple of cycles and it never really grabbed me. I mean, it was ok, I guess, but it's no Netrunner. I kept meaning to get more stuck into it at some point because so many people think so highly of it, and because I read a few people saying it's the LCG for people who like building crazy engines in their decks, which is me. But I hadn't found that myself.

I think I get it now. This deck showed me the way.

I'm sure it's nothing new to the veteran players, but it's the first time I've had that feeling of an engine. Hama recycles the card that lets you attack stuff before it attacks you, big whoop. But you need to set that up with a couple of attachments first. So you have dudes who filter your draw deck for attachments. Which also find you the duplicates of those same attachments to pitch to Hama's ability to get the cool attack card back. And then the Eagles! You've got the cheap Eagles that have high attack for their cost, because you have to discard them after you use them. But you don't care, because you have an attachment on Hama that lets you leech their attack so they never get discarded! Until you get the other Eagle that lets you put discarded Eagles on him as attachments to increase his attack, which you then leech with Hama! So you've got this whole other Eagle engine that's steadily building Hama's attack until he's one-shotting everything before it gets near you! And all those filtering effects are thinning your deck towards getting you the rest of the engine pieces you need!

*breathes*

I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it a lot.

Epimer on
    • Options
      Brody wrote: »

IT'S A VIDEO GAME BECAUSE YOU LOOK AT STUFF

• Options
      DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
      I adore Arabian Nights but I definitely get it's not for everyone, nor is it a very traditional game.

• Options
      DarkPrimus wrote: »
      I adore Arabian Nights but I definitely get it's not for everyone, nor is it a very traditional game.

it can pull some fun stories and sometimes you just get a mishmah of BS that makes no sense and then you win which is sometimes even better

my group loves the thing

• Options
      Arabian Nights would be way more frustrating if it were an actual competitive game, because then I'd be annoyed rather than charmed whenever I try to seduce a djinn and get turned into a sex-changed goat for my trouble.

ACsTqqK.jpg