As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Wars [Galaxy of Heroes]. Why Yes, Kylo, You Can Be on Vader's Team.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Well, it's official: I will not be participating in the Emperor's event. I only have 2/5 required characters and I'm not going to spend a ton of time and credits/crystals just so I can participate.

One of our guildies shared this link with us, which details the rewards of the event, in case anyone is interested: https://swgoh.gg/db/events/emperors-demise/

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Considering how small the pool of potential characters is, I was hoping this would be a 3 character event, not a 5.

I managed to do 3 tiers, and might pull off a 4th before it goes away, but five 7* Rebels is going to be quite a bit of work (along with, y'know, all the other squad compositions we need to work on for various events).

But credit where credit is due, I'm glad they at least staggered this one out to a variety of tiers like the Yoda one. The last couple of big 8 wave "you must be THIS TALL to ride" events suuuucked, especially with the whole 'omg you can make millions of credits in it!' (if you can do it, repeatedly, and if you get stuck before the end you get nothing, lawl).

So not ideal, and I'm sure a bunch of people will be frustrated, but in some ways it's not as bad as I expected.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, five 7* rebel characters is pretty ridiculous, especially considering many of them are not great or competitively viable in other game modes. There's a reason nobody uses Wedge or Biggs on their Arena Teams and why they never show up in the Galactic War. (Or Hoth Scout).

Leia is good. Ackbar is situationally good. ST Han is only okay. There are better tanks.

And anyway, it's kind of shitty of them to ask us to build a team of C Tier and B Tier heroes that are literally only useful for this one event and then never again. And who nobody has on hand because they suck and there has not been a reason to level/gear them until now.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I was able to do the first tier because I'm working on my leia (lost too many galactic wars to her and the damn emperors guard wrecking my face). But everything else is like nope. Oh well, I'm sure palpatine makes the chocolate taste terrible.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Glad I didn't pull the trigger on that Greedo pack for $5. I wanted to throw a few bucks, but not much. Now some 3* night sister shows up with 500 gems for $4. Perfect!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    I'd never spend money on Greedo since he's a pvp reward. And he's greedo. FUCK GREEDO!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I've seen maybe 1 team in PvP that was pure Rebels, and they kind of wrecked face. Other than that, I've not seen much.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I have 3/5 required for the event. Leia, Stormtrooper Han, and Ackbar are all at seven stars. Damn, I guess I'll focus on Lando and Biggs now for when the event rolls around again. Dathcha, you're being put on hold for the time being.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    I've seen maybe 1 team in PvP that was pure Rebels, and they kind of wrecked face. Other than that, I've not seen much.

Usually the teams I skip involve Leia and ackbar, because they synergize like crazy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Yeah, I think I can get the Hoth Rebel Soldier to 4* before the event ends (RNG willing), but really need to pick a fifth Rebel that's worth getting to 7.

Leia, Luke, STHan, and Biggs I'm fine with. The latter isn't exactly a powerhouse, but getting him from the GW was easy enough, and he hits reasonably hard in my 'all double attacking glass cannons, all the time' team when I just want to blow some asshole up.

I guess Ackbar is probably the 'easiest' to farm up in that you can just buy shards at a reasonable rate (pvp rank pending), the others are a bit too RNG dependent. Lando isn't too bad on the Cantina table, but I'm already grinding that to finish up Dooku (I don't care he's falling out of fashion, I've spent too long not to finish him) and Mace. On the upside, them giving us 45 bonus Cantina energy per day will help speed up grinding those two out, and also means more Cantina points, so finishing QGJ won't take quite as long either.

Though it also means more mod farming potential, thus more people with higher mods to deal with in the arena. Ugh.

The teams I skip these days are either usually those led by Teebo (because I expect bullshit) or packing something like the RG/Rey combo. Not always, but it's enough of a red flag to get me to try elsewhere.

I ran into a team today that had Imperial guard, ackbar, leia, rey, and the flying nun jedi lady. Basically anytime I got close to almost killing one that fucking imp guard would stun fuck me and taunt while getting healed back to full and leia/rey would fuck my shit up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I haven't seen them recently, but there was a pattern of something like Dooku leading RG, Rey, Daka and another heavy DPS (often QGJ). Having 3-4 characters stunned at a time because those assholes were doing their thing was not a fun experience.

Granted, I could've skipped having Jedi on the team for Dooku to stun, but Luminara is one of the cornerstones of my usual teams on the high end.

I hate when I have dooku leading my group I don't seem to get any fucking evasions but fighting one the other team is neo from the matrix. Just like when I have phasma leading my group I get like one assist even with Kylo, but an enemy team with no first order is like QGJ all day long.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    How do you set the leader that everyone sees for you?

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    How do you set the leader that everyone sees for you?

No idea. In theory, it's the leader you use commonly for teams (which might explain light/dark, but I guess it'd flip a coin for neutral battles?), but a friend of mine has seen a character that lacks a leader ability and I don't even have unlocked as my 'ally' option, so the game seems to occasionally just be pulling things out of its ass.

How about a general character tier list? Which characters to spend pvp and guild coins on, for example.

That list is going to be very subjective, so it really depends on the type of squad you want to build. As Forar said to me earlier, he's not going to shift gears to pick someone else up, because he's already committed to another toon.

Everyone has their own set of recommendations.

An obvious glance at what is considered super powerful is to just look at the top teams in your local arena 'shard' or whatever our mini-servers are called.

You'll probably see a lot of;

- Royal Guard (who is easily the best tank in the game right now)
    - Rey (who hits like a freight train made of monster trucks full of flaming tornadoes)
    - Qui-Gon Jin, who also hits hard, has an attack that calls for an assist, is fairly tough, and can remove buffs.

From there it's about sorting out what you need for your team and want to work on. There are events that reward having Scoundrels, Jawas, Ewoks, Rebels, Imperials, Jedi, and more, but spreading out work on all of those at once is going to leave you shy of doing anything for a long time. The RNG can kind of dictate some progression (oh, through pure happenstance I'm like 4 shards from a new star on this character, might as well finish it up), others take focused work over a loooong period of time, which can be frustrating because the next nerf might be just around the corner. Sidious used to be absurdly common, and still shows up a fair deal, but he's not nearly as dominant as he used to be. Dooku is a *long* grind, and is falling a bit out of favour (at least in my experiences), but can be incredibly annoying at high levels.

In terms of the game modes, I think Luminara is one of the most valuable characters for the Galactic War. Her leader ability that grants healing and evasion is (to me) invaluable in terms of keeping people topped off without much effort. Her big heal with the extra Heal Over Time effect is very useful, she has a solid dodge chance (before including her self-buff to get it higher), she can put down an ability block, and she hits fairly hard for a 'support' character.

But Le_Goat is right; while there may be general 'tiers' of characters in a sense, there's a lot of context based on the pvp meta you're seeing, what you want to work towards, and honestly pure luck (I'm a sucker for cracking booster packs, so I've spent most of my purple crystals on chromium packs, which means I have a lot of characters and more with random amounts of shards sitting on them that I can't farm higher).

It's kind of a catch-22; the arena and galactic war will give you a sense of what is commonly considered valuable, but by the time you chase some of them up to 6/7 stars and a high level they might have seen the nerf bat and a new hotness/flavour of the month will have arrived. It's frustrating at times, and yeah, it's their business model. That's working as intended.

I'm considering going back to my Grevious hunt... I'm already almost half way to unlocking him.

Yeah Royal Guard is a bastard mixed with bastard. Like his auto taunt is ridiculous in PVP, combine that with a team that has like leia, rey, and two healers and you have to either get lucky or you go down quickly.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Sometimes you can out-damage them by getting someone down to 60-75% and then blow them up with an assist attack (or Rey, who is basically two attackers in one), but the double will often trigger his taunt anyway so then you're dealing with him all the same, but luckily they're down a character.

The fact he auto-taunts and has a semi-reliable stun is just the extra bullshit icing on the poop cake. They really have a habit of making incredibly annoying characters (Daka's rez, Dooku's evasion buff + offense up, RG auto-taunt) and then slapping a stun on them as well because 'fuck you that's why'.

It almost seems like their design philosophy is "does this bullshit character have a stun? No? Not bullshit enough, add a stun." (exception: "or have them hit for Fuck You, as being dead is like being stunned, but permanently).

If I'm fighting a team with RG, I just start by attacking him first. There's no point in attacking Rey, getting her to 30%, being taunted by RG and then having her healed back up. So I just start with RG, kill him before he taunts, and then deal with the DPS after that.

edited August 2016
    I've found that if (luck pending) you can whittle down someone like Rey just enough, you can then use someone like 86 to call an assist. If that doesn't kill her, an AOE will finish her off. As soon as HK or 88 put defense down on RG, I immediately target him to get him the fuck out of the way.

Additionally, if you have someone like QGJ or Mace, you can peel the taunt off. Sadly, my PvP squad does not possess that ability. For combating the stuns, I make sure to slow the bastard to reduce the stun opportunities.

Le_Goat on
    I've found that (luck pending) you can whittle down someone like Rey just enough, you can use someone like 86 to call an assist. If that doesn't kill her, an AOE will finish her off. As soon as HK or 88 put defense down on RG, I immediately target him to get him the fuck out of the way.

Additionally, if you have someone like QGJ or Mace, you can peel the taunt off. Sadly, my PvP squad does not possess that ability. For combating the stuns, I make sure to slow the bastard to reduce the stun opportunities.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I keep hearing about putting Qui-Gon as the leader, but it only affects jedi teams, right? So it wouldn't help with a more diverse team?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I keep hearing about putting Qui-Gon as the leader, but it only affects jedi teams, right? So it wouldn't help with a more diverse team?

Correct. His leader ability is explicitly for Jedi only.

It's a healthy boost of speed, and high speed (attack first and more often) is great, but it's predicated on a full Jedi roster, and there are a few fairly nasty anti-Jedi characters that can show up to ruin the plan/synergy.

Also there's a Credit Heist Event going for another 10 hours as of posting.

Our guild is about to go to the Tier 7 raid, as we're nailing the T6 raid in one go. I have a feeling that some of the heavy hitters are overconfident, as I've read that relying TM reduction and debuffs is not the way to go at all, since enemy tenacity is greatly elevated. Does anyone have any tips for T7? I'm trying to gather people into groups, with debuff dispellers on phase 1, then have other groups follow. Once thing I'm considering is having the lesser squads head into phase 2 to leave the other heavy hitters for the final phase.

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    so thsi game has been out for months now and i do love me star wars and i keep seeing it pop up everywhere

is it worth trying out for the first time at this stage of the game?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    so thsi game has been out for months now and i do love me star wars and i keep seeing it pop up everywhere

is it worth trying out for the first time at this stage of the game?

How much do you enjoy the level grind part of RPGs? Now imagine that as its own game with f2p options to spend large sums of money for incremental increases to your characters that otherwise would take weeks or months to get.

That's pretty much the game. The battle system is fun for a bit, but it's the daily rewards that keep you coming back because you need them to level up without spending money.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    well that sounds terrible

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    well that sounds terrible

It's probably worth a download and play for a few hours to see if you like the battle system.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    The most important thing to realize going into this game is that there is no instant gratification. Even getting 1 character to max level requires months of time investment. This game is designed to be played over a long duration.

Yes, on the day to day there is plenty to do. Battles to run, PVP, story missions, challenges, guild raids, and special events (sometimes). So there's not a lack of content. But the heart of the game is collecting, gearing, and leveling dudes. And that part takes like a million years.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The most important thing to realize going into this game is that there is no instant gratification. Even getting 1 character to max level requires months of time investment. This game is designed to be played over a long duration.

Yes, on the day to day there is plenty to do. Battles to run, PVP, story missions, challenges, guild raids, and special events (sometimes). So there's not a lack of content. But the heart of the game is collecting, gearing, and leveling dudes. And that part takes like a million years.

And then they add new gearing systems or raise the caps so that the train never stops. And then you spend each day crying in the shower pleading to get off but you can't! It's too late! The ticket masters have your soul!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    I've been avoiding this game because I knew I'd be suckered into spending too much time and money on it... but then I had a weak moment and now I'm at 48 and have picked most of the low-hanging fruit in terms of characters. Trying to figure out what to start working towards. Right now my Arena team consists of Asajj Ventress (leader) with a bunch of Nightsisters and Chewie. Liking the speed, but I don't know if this would remain a viable team at higher levels? I really like Ventress's dispel as it lets me get around taunts reliably. Sometimes I switch out the wimpiest Nightsister and bring in Ahsoka as leader, but the evasion never seems to work when I need it. Also, I wish I had Old Daka but I don't.

So I'm working on Luminara, Rey, and Princess Leia atm. From reading the thread it seems I need to start getting some stars for my RG. Anything else it would be good to start building early on?

MSL59.jpg
    edited September 2016
    The best Arena and Galactic War teams will be ones that have synergy between characters. Themed teams are often the way to go.

For example, there are a couple guys in my guild who have incredibly strong droid teams, and they completely wreck house with them. I personally do not have any strong droids, and to make the droid team work, you need a full 5. It takes a very significant time and resource investment to get there. But once everything clicks into place, it is an absolute power house.

Usually the droid teams are going to have Poggle the Lesser, Genosian Solder, IG-86, IG-88, and a 5th of your choice. I see HK-47 a lot in the 5th slot. And anyway, the synergy created by Poggle as leader and everything else just results in crazy damage output for the two IG units.

A full First Order team is also incredibly powerful. Phasma as leader, with TIE Pilot, First Order Officer, Kylo, and First Order Storm Trooper will be incredibly devistating.

The night sister team is actually pretty weak. When I'm doing my daily arena battles, I will always target a full night sister team for my attack if one pops up. Even if their listed power level is 3k-4k higher than mine, I know I can easily beat them.

If you want to run a mix team, the best characters will be Royal Guard, Rey, Phasma, Luminara, Qui-gon, Princess Leia, Fives, Sidious, Kylo Ren, and IG-86. A combination using 5 of those characters will result in a very strong team.

Lucascraft on
    Nobody really runs Luke, but he's my only seven star atm. Is it just that he's kind of a one trick pony?

Luke is not a terrible character, but he is out-shined by better characters. His snipe shot is strong. But Rey is stronger.

There's no reason to ever bring Luke to combat when Rey exists.

Glass cannon, and it seems like they specifically target weaker characters first so he doesn't last more than a round or two.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Makes sense. Luke was just easiest to farm up due to being early in the Cantina missions.

My two biggest requests for this game right now are these:

1) Allow me to set who my LS/DS friend hero are. Most used or last used are both bad ways of selecting a borrowed character. I use Phasma as my leader a lot. But everybody in the entire game has Phasma because she's super easy to unlock. So she's a bad person to set as my DS friend hero. I'd rather be able to set a rarer character who has a good leader ability that more people would benefit from.

2) Allow me to set a "defense" team for arena. The dudes I take with me to attack are not the same dudes that I want to hold my position when I'm offline. Let me set a team who will try to hold my place in line.