As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC suddenly stopped outputting video?

kimekime Queen of BladesRegistered User regular
Hi all!

My wife turned on her computer this evening, and nothing showed up on her monitor. It was working fine a day or two ago when she last used it. The computer spins up, fans start, etc., there's just no output. I've tested the monitor/cord combo, and they both work fine on my computer. We've tried both HDMI and DVI, neither appear to be functioning. I think both ports are coming from the video card (not motherboard) but I haven't taken it apart to check or anything like that. I'd really rather not have to do so... :(

Anyone have any other things I can try?

Thanks!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
Steam profile

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Is it a laptop?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Desktop

Steam profile
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Try unplugging the power cord to the monitor for a few seconds.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Have you tried the connection between the video card and the motherboard? Make sure you turn off the PSU before testing it but it could be a situation where it has come unseated. If you're unfamiliar with the internals of your PC i'd suggest taking a quick glance at a youtube video of installing a video card first.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Siska wrote: »
    Try unplugging the power cord to the monitor for a few seconds.

Tried that, and with the desktop, no luck. The monitor is fine though, I've tested that
    Have you tried the connection between the video card and the motherboard? Make sure you turn off the PSU before testing it but it could be a situation where it has come unseated. If you're unfamiliar with the internals of your PC i'd suggest taking a quick glance at a youtube video of installing a video card first.

As mentioned, I haven't opened it up or anything yet. I'd rather avoid that, but yeah, may not have a choice :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    What motherboard is it?
    If the motherboard has visual POST codes, what are they?
    If the motherboard has audio POST codes, what are they?
    If the motherboard has video out, enable that in the BIOS and try it.

At that point you're swapping videocards.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote: »
    What motherboard is it?

I don't know. It's a prebuilt computer, and I can't turn it on to check, of course :). Is there some other way to do that without opening it up?

Steam profile
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    You are probably going to need to open up this computer.

Usually if your motherboard has onboard video, one of the slots on the back is actually going directly to it. Watch a few youtube videos to get familiar with the guts of your computer, but try not to get intimidated. If you can follow instructions you can find your way around a set up without too much pain. You're probably going to have to figure out what the parts are inside of the computer so you can look them up individually. Its prebuilt, so you may be able to start by just googling the model and seeing what info is out there.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Handgimp wrote: »
    What motherboard is it?

I don't know. It's a prebuilt computer, and I can't turn it on to check, of course :). Is there some other way to do that without opening it up?

What brand/model computer?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    If you do have to open it, you can't hurt anything by just taking off the side and making sure the video card isn't loose.

Unplug the power cord from the tower and let it sit 15 minutes.

My next suggestion is to bonk it. Give it a good thump on the top of the case near the rear where the power supply is mounted. If the fans are spinning up but you aren't getting any combination of beeps. Then it's not actually attempting to POST.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    before you open it up, see if there's an onboard video card by looking to see if there's a VGA port in the culster of ports that are attached to the MB.

If that's the case, you can maaaaaaybe connect the monitor to that VGA and get it to do something.

Otherwise, you're going to have to get in there, install a spare / cheap video card to replace the current one, and verify that everything else is working by booting with that spare connected to the monitor.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    does the monitor have an input select?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    does the monitor have an input select?

Yes, I've cycled through it. And again it works perfectly on my computer.
    spool32 wrote: »
    before you open it up, see if there's an onboard video card by looking to see if there's a VGA port in the culster of ports that are attached to the MB.

If that's the case, you can maaaaaaybe connect the monitor to that VGA and get it to do something.

Otherwise, you're going to have to get in there, install a spare / cheap video card to replace the current one, and verify that everything else is working by booting with that spare connected to the monitor.

Pretty sure there's not an external video port from the MB.

I put together my own computer, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the parts inside a PC box. I just didn't want to have to open it, but sounds like that may just be best, blah

Steam profile
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    No video can also be RAM, if you have more than one stick, pull one, test and then swap with the other and test.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041