As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How long for wood tiles to dry?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
Long story short...water damage = new floor. Building is liable and had brought a flooring company in to repair. The superintendent of my building told me the repair would take a few hours and only a few hours for the tiles to dry.

I have two roommates and we have a tiny common area. Based on the super's estimates we agreed it would be OK for me to temporarily move all my furniture to the common area. Everyone had said "less than a day."

Worker comes in - he's here right now, in fact. He starts clearing the current tiles. I asked him, "about how long for the tiles to dry?"

He says "a day or two."

Mild panic sets in. First, I don't have anywhere else to sleep for the evening. Second, wtf. I was told a few hours!

I tell him this and he says "it should be OK if you are careful."

I'm really not sure what to believe.

These are rather thin wood tiles over a stone (?) floor. Stone floor isn't being touched.

I don't want to do something that I can be held liable for but I'm not sure what to do.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    Maybe overthinking - asked again, worker said it should be okay by tonight.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I have no idea what you're even asking or talking about.

Wood tiles over a stone floor? Do you live in a cave? That is bizarre? Tiles drying? What? Do you mean the grout and thin-set holding the tile to the floor?

If it's the thin-set, 24 hours at the least, 48 hours is recommended.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Though I guess you could wait 12 hours, that's when it dries enough to walk on.. but I would not want to move furniture at that point.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I don't know anything about construction. At all. So I don't know how to describe it.

I asked the builder, it's a cement floor and very thin (like 1cm) wood "tiles" laid on top. Not sure how they are set or whatever.

Here's a photo of my fucked up floor to show what I mean.

19FFFA24-6E08-4A2D-A950-2417D5541A6D_zpsaarpziep.jpg

(The white stuff is paper or glue or whatever. You can't really see the cement underneath from this photo but you can see what I am trying to describe with regard to the wood tiles.)

• Options
    I dunno, maybe tiles is the wrong word? I think of a tile as any square object comprising a floor, ceiling, wall, or mosaic/sliding puzzle.

So I asked the builder what his thoughts were. He said he would finish my room, then start on the other room (which only needs a small area replaced) and in the meanwhile he would let it "dry" and we could check later, but I should be able to sleep there no problem and that he would help me move my bed back in.

• Options
    Ah that's a parquet wood floor, a few hours should be more than enough for that, it's probably just glue.

If it was tile you'd be using thin set and grout and you'd need 12+ hours for that to set before you can walk, and 24+ before you can set things on it like heavy furniture.

• Options
    Ah thank you. Panic levels decreasing. Still getting a beer at lunch though.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    If the question is how long before the water from the water damage is going to dry out of those tiles, it could be weeks or days depending on the humidity of your location. Those little wooden lats are like tiny sponges and if you are in a cool, damp location (like a basement) could be a long time if you don't have a dehumidifier going.

If the question is about how long before the tiles set, then Bowen has all the answers you need.

• Options
    I would hope they sponged up the water and replaced them with new pieces.

knowing apartments and landlords.. probably not.

• Options
    Oh, no, they've already ripped all the old tiles out. They are putting in new ones.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You can walk on them after a few hours but you definitely need to wait a day or two before moving furniture back in on top of them. The parquet tiles are glued down with either a thunder or other adhesive and heavy items could shift the tiles and pop them out before the glue has completely dried.

• Options
    I dunno the guy is we can wait a few hours and put the bed back. I'd really like to get my TV and PC back in there too. Meh.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I dunno the guy is we can wait a few hours and put the bed back. I'd really like to get my TV and PC back in there too. Meh.
    TV and PC should be alright, just be careful not to put any horizontal movement on the tiles, Compressing them down is fine, but if you try sliding something on them, wait a day or two for the glue to set. So make sure whatever you are putting on there you put them straight down.

• Options
    So wait till Sunday to reinstall my Slip 'n' Slide, got it.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    So wait till Sunday to reinstall my Slip 'n' Slide, got it.

I meant don't drag your couch or chair. And don't flop down.

• Options
    I'm all good now - I moved almost everything back in that night and I tried not to slide anything around very much. I finished moving everything back in yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.