As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    It was conceptually interesting that the giant oni with two iron balls could break your gear with ease, but as Fantastico and reVerse say, there's never really been an application of durability that wasn't either a time-wasting menu task or just some pain-in-the-ass role-playing element intended to provide a greater sense of "realism" — something that really doesn't seem pertinent to the Nioh.

Eh, Dark Souls 1 and 2 made good use of it for weapon special attacks, but otherwise...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I am down for some of that dual-katana action, yo. Give me some of that.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    In case no one noticed, there's a beta up on PSN again. Not sure how long it's available for this time Playable until September 6th. I downloaded it yesterday, got annoyed with it last night, decided to give it a second chance this morning, and now I want the damn game to be out. It's a lot of fun. I didn't realize I really needed Samurai Souls in my life, but I shouldn't be surprised!

Fawst on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I haven't had a chance to sit down with it but from what I heard the game feels really really good and has a lot of people psyched. I actually kind of like the process they seem to be going through in the development of this game

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    It's more brutal than Souls, which ... eh, not crazy about that aspect, but I do respect what they've made. It feels like you can get stunlocked far too easily with no way out. You can die in only a few (+1 or 2) hits, so it's all about being mostly perfect. That is ... not easy if you get into a fight with multiple enemies. Though I did kill 3 guys at the same time with one (final) attack, which was cool.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the reminder; I've been totally wrapped up in Deus Ex, but definitely want to play some Beta. The alpha was already rad as hell.

I played some last night.

The action feels faster than I remember? I mean, it's been a few months, don't get me wrong, but I feel like my walk speed and such are significantly faster than they were before.

The bloody graves you come across don't seem to drop the ridiculously good gear as easily as the previous beta did, but they can still drop good stuff. I've gotten a few blues and purps already. Enemies in general don't seem to drop as much of the common items like elixirs as readily either. You'll be getting a lot of those through offering up equipment at shrines, and you can increase your maximum carrying capacity through a skill in the Ninjitsu tree.

Dual katanas, matchlocks and cannons are new weapons you can play with, dual katanas getting their own skill tree. I haven't found a matchlock or cannon yet to play with.

Dual katanas move fast, but feel weak. They're very defensive oriented though, and if you're into that playstyle, you may find them a favourite weapon. They don't have the long wind-ups for defensive play that the spears have. I vastly prefer my axes/hammers, though. Crushing ki meters and then going in for the grapple never gets old.

Equipment durability is gone, which is great. Each weapon has a "familiarity" bar that gains exp. Depending on the weapon's rarity, it could have more than 1 bar, and each bar increases the stats on the weapon, including damage and all the secondary stuff. A 50 attack katana with 3% item drop on humans and yokai, will become something like 70 attack with 4.5%. There is a skill in Ninjitsu (or maybe it was Onmyo) that let you dump all that familiarity to do a burst attack, and then you could build it back up again, but I haven't taken it to see if it's worthwhile.

Ninjitsu and Onmyo skill points are earned primarily by leveling the Skill, Magic and Spirit stats, but you now earn your weapon skill points through combat, and I haven't found a way to visibly tell when you'll earn one. A little message will just appear and say "You have earned one weapon skillpoint for your familiarity with [weapon]." Weapon skill points can be used for any weapon type, meaning, you could be playing with a spear, gain a point, and choose to use it in katanas. Ninjitsu and Onmyo are exclusive, though, and their skill trees are vastly expanded. Sloth Talismans are still game breaking as hell. Highly recommend raising your Onmyo to get a few of those.

• kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    You can also find samurai, ninja, and onmyo points from consumables which has been nice.

Just played this for like 5 hours. They made some nice subtle changes to that first stage, including removing the two Ninja Oni that were presumably deemed too difficult for was seems to be the actual first stage of the game. Also like that they changed the location of some of the kodama.

Guns aren't that different from bows, but I'm guessing there will be some things that are weak to one and not the other.

And fuck those Omnyōdo dudes in the mini-stage.

edited August 2016
    How do you use Ninja skills? I can't find anything about them in the controls and the only reference otherwise is in the Learn Skills page.

Edit: Never mind, just saw that it appears at the temples after learning an ability.

Fawst on
    Fawst wrote: »
    How do you use Ninja skills? I can't find anything about them in the controls and the only reference otherwise is in the Learn Skills page.

Once you've unlocked a Ninjitsu or Omnyo skill, the Ready Jutsu menu will unlock at shrines. From there it's just a matter of "equipping" a given skill and setting it to a given item shortcut. Keep in mind that passive skills from the Ninjitsu and Omnyo pages don't have to be readied, and the number of skills that you can ready is dictated by your "capacity" stat for Ninjitsu/Omnyo; Omnyo skills require 5 Capacity each, which I think requires 8 points in uhhhhh... whichever stat is related to Omnyo.

The second level's boss isn't nearly as cool as Nue was, but it definitely requires some good thought about gear selection. The level itself wasn't that cool, but it still captures the Souls vibe a good amount.

Dodging is pissing me off in this game. I'm at the boss on the boat and dodging works 50% of the time. Sometimes I just won't move and instead eat a hit. And it's not when I am out of Ki.

Also, what's the point of doing a Ki pulse aside from the Ki refresh? It mentions something about the yokai realm, but I have yet to see anything that is affected by the perfect timing.

Dodging is pissing me off in this game. I'm at the boss on the boat and dodging works 50% of the time. Sometimes I just won't move and instead eat a hit. And it's not when I am out of Ki.

What's your equip load? Because there seems to be a variety of penalties that you can incur with high load, including reduced stamina regen, increased stamina consumption, and an invisible cooldown for evasive maneuvers. Related to all of that, it's also important to note that each stance has different evasion properties.
    Also, what's the point of doing a Ki pulse aside from the Ki refresh? It mentions something about the yokai realm, but I have yet to see anything that is affected by the perfect timing.

When fighting the Oni/Yokai, they sometimes generate a pool of black and white mist that drains stamina and slows your movement (this could also be why you can't dodge). A perfect Ki pulse while in that circle will dissipate the mist.

Also, if you look at the various weapon trees, you'll find abilities that are trigger by perfect Ki pulse.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Game is just as clunky with a funky, twitchy camera as before. The setting is definitely interesting and the gameplay mechanics are a refreshing change of pace, but just can't get over how sluggish your guy feels; movement isn't anywhere as good as Dark Souls (or perhaps Bloodborne is the better comparison in terms of dodge mechanic).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Oh man, they gave you more item shortcuts! That was honestly one of my biggest issues with the game before. Now I can use recovery items AND spell consumables! The future is now!

Beat the demo. After you finish the second stage (for the new DLC), you can do a Twilight version of the missions, which increases the level of the enemies, including changing them. Most of the humans have now been replaced by various yokai, so feel free to reforge your equipment out of "Human" stuff.

Also, re-forging? So good. I had some pretty nice elemental weapons drop throughout the demo, but they weren't keeping up in stats to some of the newer stuff as I was leveling. Enter Soul Matching and Reforging.

Soul Matching lets you take a base weapon or armor (a level 5 elemental axe, for example) and a material (a level 18 dual katana that you have capped familiarity with, and a transferable ability) and you'll fuse them into a level 18 axe with the transferrable ability from the material. Unsure if the ability will transfer without the full familiarity, but the in-game help description didn't seem to suggest it would work that way. You can only have one transferrable ability on a piece of a equipment, so if you have a +20% Close Combat damage on your base weapon, and the material piece has something like +10 Break that you don't want, don't do it.

Reforging is exactly what it says. Take one secondary stat on your weapon or armor, and reforge it into something else. Don't want +Gold Drop? Get rid of it and roll for something else like +Luck, or +Unlimited Onmyo. I have 5 pieces of Unlimited Onmyo all ranging around 12-17%, so when I use a Sloth talisman, there's a good chance it doesn't get used up. It's been a lifesaver. Also, you can't reforge transferrable abilities, or elemental properties.

Two funny things:

1. What I presume to be Nioh's version of Crystal Lizards is the illustrious Golden Kappa. I say presume, because I was not able to even touch the slippery bastard before he ran off into mobs of Oni before disappearing. And apparently you just get the one chance to kill it, as he didn't respawn.

2. There are mimic chests in the twilight version of the second mission, albeit literal mimic chests that spawn a funny mushroom critter that then takes your form, gestures at you obscenely, and then tries to kill you.

Reforging and Soul Matching could definitely use some better explaining, even if they are relatively straightforward once you try to do it. I'm guessing the Unlimited perk will be significantly adjusted in the full game, as it definitely seems to break things a bit once you get that percentage up.

The Unmatched Warrior of the West was a damn challenging fight, especially at level 22, and seems to suggest the Iai abilities will be pretty powerful if this game has some legit PvP.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Well I just got round to having a quick go today and it's heading in the right direction. Feels more fluid than before and durability gone for a hike makes this way more enjoyable to play.

Hopefully get enough time to finish the demo before it locks out.

I will say though, I was sold in the alpha but it's more a preorder for me now as I'm having some serious bushido blade/way of the samurai fun with this.

ED! wrote: »
    Game is just as clunky with a funky, twitchy camera as before. The setting is definitely interesting and the gameplay mechanics are a refreshing change of pace, but just can't get over how sluggish your guy feels; movement isn't anywhere as good as Dark Souls (or perhaps Bloodborne is the better comparison in terms of dodge mechanic).

I went with the "play the game on its own terms" method and got over the dodging. I'm now dancing around enemies, being nowhere near their attack, or getting out of the way just as a projectile is about to hit me. I seriously love this beta, even if the Twilight version of mission 2 has an absolutely infuriating monk wheel enemy in a spot that WILL kill you if you fuck up even a bit. I managed to lose 80k "souls" against him while trying to recover my corpse. Whatever, they are easy to come by in this version of the mission.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the skills for katana that have you break an enemies guard and then push them down. Is that just "attack their guard until it breaks" or something? Also there seems to be a typo in the third ability on that row. It says it triggers when "Head tide" or something similar is successful but that ability isn't even on the tree.

Has anyone been able to kill a Golden Kappa? I laughed real hard when the one by the beach in the Twilight version of level one spanked his ass and then did a flip into the ocean. But then I was all: "I wanted to kill you!"

Yes I killed one after he flipped over me a bunch of times and stabbed me in the backside. I used dual blades and lots of attacks to keep whittling him down and looks like if he gets far away enough he portals out. Also seems to autotrack to any nearest enemy to run into to cause problems.

More annoying than treasure goblins from Diablo by far.

I went with the "play the game on its own terms" method and got over the dodging. I'm now dancing around enemies, being nowhere near their attack, or getting out of the way just as a projectile is about to hit me. I seriously love this beta, even if the Twilight version of mission 2 has an absolutely infuriating monk wheel enemy in a spot that WILL kill you if you fuck up even a bit. I managed to lose 80k "souls" against him while trying to recover my corpse. Whatever, they are easy to come by in this version of the mission.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the skills for katana that have you break an enemies guard and then push them down. Is that just "attack their guard until it breaks" or something? Also there seems to be a typo in the third ability on that row. It says it triggers when "Head tide" or something similar is successful but that ability isn't even on the tree.

I still think the game is clunky a bit (and there's a few too many bullshit moments of the Dark Souls variety), but I'm definitely enjoying this more than Dark Souls 3. I think the UI is a bit overdone, but that's to be expected; FROM didn't get it right the first time with Demon's either. There definitely needs to be a better inventory system. The scrolling just doesn't fucking work.

However I will say the game needs a lot of work at least in terms of the tuning. A lot of shit feels unfair, even if you've got your moveset and Ki pulsing down (which is also clunky as fuck sometimes). Fighting the first boss, and trying to both get a hit in and stay in range to ki pulse away the debuff is not fun. Like at all. I also like how guarding with one of the heavier weapons in the game is less effective than with the piddly ass katanas. What?!

Will certainly pick the game up on release, but I hope they tone down some of the bullshit (enemies that do not poise break when you can be poise broken is absolute garbage; hyperarmor should not exist).

edited September 2016

I still think the game is clunky a bit (and there's a few too many bullshit moments of the Dark Souls variety), but I'm definitely enjoying this more than Dark Souls 3. I think the UI is a bit overdone, but that's to be expected; FROM didn't get it right the first time with Demon's either. There definitely needs to be a better inventory system. The scrolling just doesn't fucking work.

However I will say the game needs a lot of work at least in terms of the tuning. A lot of shit feels unfair, even if you've got your moveset and Ki pulsing down (which is also clunky as fuck sometimes). Fighting the first boss, and trying to both get a hit in and stay in range to ki pulse away the debuff is not fun. Like at all. I also like how guarding with one of the heavier weapons in the game is less effective than with the piddly ass katanas. What?!

Will certainly pick the game up on release, but I hope they tone down some of the bullshit (enemies that do not poise break when you can be poise broken is absolute garbage; hyperarmor should not exist).

You can have hyper armor as well though, just wear heavier armor. It's honestly the better way to play, dodge distance isn't that big a deal. And the only enemies with unbreakable hyper armor are those wheels and the annoying ass vampire boss, and even they fall over once you drain all their ki. Oh, and those cyclopses, but you can just hit them in the eye and wail on them.

Etiowsa on
    I went light build and spent most of time dual blades. Fine pretty much taking on most things, though multiple opponents is a lot tougher especially twilight missions.

I enjoying the dodging and ki evade but I'm sure a heavy build is just as fun. Looking forward to seeing what the full game has to offer.

I just have the Twilight version of the first mission to beat, now. Does beating that unlock a Twilight version of Unmatched Warrior of the West? I imagine that would be a pain in the ass.

edited September 2016
    Dont think so, thought the twilights are only the three areas. Warrior of the west is quite high level don't think there's a harder version.

I would agree a twilight version of that would be a massive pain in the ass.

Genji-Gloves on
    The healing is far too slow in this game; hell using any items is way too slow. Coupled with the recovery time of certain enemies just feels cheap being "locked out" of using certain game mechanics.

Also getting hit should not negate a heal; that is cheap as fuck.

I understand that's it cheap, it doesn't work in the players favor.

Personally spacing and dodging I use my available window to use items and more often than not it works.

Most environments seem to have a reasonable amount of blocking that you can use to create distance and heal up, like abusing the rock on the left to confuse the AI of the Unmatched Warrior. But it is true that item usage is absurdly slow, seemingly as a consequence of trying balance the various jutsu and then applying that timing speed to everything.

edited September 2016
    I wouldn't mind it if the hyper-armor (and other random bullshit) was consistent; it isn't. Same with the guard/dodging (which seems to be hit and mostly miss for me). I think the game is trying to do too much, and they've let too much cheap shit sneak through. The hyper-armor crap just should NOT be in the game. A game that is supposed to reward patience, and punish wide open shots (at least it does for you) should not have that nonsense in.

As for item usage, there are some that should not be as slow as they are. Come on let me apply this fucking weapon buff; you (the game) dumped me in this fight unexpectedly, and I've no confidence I can keep a buff through a cut-scene. The one that slows stamina recharge; fine, give that a windup. But having all the items seemingly on the same timer is just fucking dumb. Having to rely on that stupid rock on the sub-mission stage to mind-fuck the AI is not good game design.

EDIT: I also don't know why this thing isn't continuously saving like Dark Souls.

EIDT2: Yea. Just fought second boss. Recovery time is nonsense. I might give this a pass when it comes out; give reviewers/players time to put some pressure on TN to actually adjust some shit. You can not have the item lag and have bosses with bullshit recovery like she does. It wasn't rewarding at all to beat her because she has ridiculously telegraphed moves, but the clunky movement and recovery time of her attacks makes it for more tedious than it needs to be.

ED! on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Downloaded the beta on Friday and it pretty much consumed my entire labor day weekend. Soloed through the 2 missions before trying to help people with multiplayer and oh man is that actually somewhat addicting. Also not having to worry about death penalties is nice.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Crap, missed this. Even if it works today it would take forever to download.

Dracil wrote: »
    Downloaded the beta on Friday and it pretty much consumed my entire labor day weekend. Soloed through the 2 missions before trying to help people with multiplayer and oh man is that actually somewhat addicting. Also not having to worry about death penalties is nice.

I hope they polish it up though; aside from the bugs some of the mechanics are just straight up broken, especially in co-op. One guy focused on defuffs, the other on buffing themselves. I was with someone who popped the attack buff and I constantly had the slow debuff going, and the vampire was dead in 30 seconds. That needs to be addressed with other QoL changes.

They have something here; they just need to make it tight. TIGHT.

https://youtu.be/FRhGCEIB-4Y?t=1m13s

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I dunno, I sort of wonder if they sort of intend for certain builds to straight up break the game at certain points. Like the first video, barehanded generally sucks but makes Tachibana a piece of cake. A lot of the exploitable builds do seem to rely on Dex builds + Unlimited Ninjutsu armor skills like in the second video, and I wouldn't be surprised if that skill got toned down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi3Nz4q5o-4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXlm24kBFtU

That said, when I was looking for these videos, it seems like other games in the genre tends to have similar cheese tactics for bosses.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If carefully engineering builds, including team-coordinated builds, allows for game-breaking moments, then I'm more happy that the game is deep enough that such things are possible than I am worried that the game is too easy. It's not as though you get all of what's need for that for free.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    I will say this, the whole demo/unlockable DLC is a nice way to go about a demo.

Regardless you buy the game or not you get a nice bonus for trying the game. It doesn't make it an incentive to buy it but it's a very cool thing that I would like to see more often.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Looks like we finally got a release date of Febuary 2017 for Nioh. can't wait!

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    So, apparently there are more weapon types in the full game than there was in the demo. I had hoped that was the case, but it's nice to have confirmation. You can catch some chain flail action from around 17:00 in this vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqw-tuvbSLw