As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Welp, I'm a consumer whore. I just joined the Dark Souls boardgame kickstarter, as well as preordered Cardborne. Especially since Dark Souls can be played solo, and therefore, NO INVASIONS FUCK YOU PVPS!

I fully expect one of the rules of Darks Souls is that if you're playing somewhere in public, anyone can walk up to your game, slam a figure down on the board, and yell "Fuck you fight me!"

I think a more accurate metaphor would be if someone can come into your home and push your board and pieces off the table.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Welp, I'm a consumer whore. I just joined the Dark Souls boardgame kickstarter, as well as preordered Cardborne. Especially since Dark Souls can be played solo, and therefore, NO INVASIONS FUCK YOU PVPS!

I fully expect one of the rules of Darks Souls is that if you're playing somewhere in public, anyone can walk up to your game, slam a figure down on the board, and yell "Fuck you fight me!"

"This is an amiibo-"
    "YOU'RE AN AMIIBO!"

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Joe Dizzy wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I think there's an important distinction to be made between emergent narrative and more directed, internal narrative.

Only in the sense that one is a boardgame narrative, and the other is not.

Any medium defines the parameters of how a story is told, and by extension what we understand as narrative (cf. McLuhan). It follows that a narrative told through the medium of a boardgame follows different patterns, manifests itself differently and is seeded differently than that of a novel or a film.

The biggest mistake in my opinon that designers do when attempting to put narrative into a game is following the narrative forms and conventions in other media. You can't just cut up a graphic novel into pretty pictures, plaster them all over cards and call the result a "narrative game". It's hacky and a waste. Imagine somebody videotaping a readthrough of a script and calling the result a "film narrative". It is that only in the loosest sense of the term, and takes no advantage of the medium's inherent strengths.

Boardgames are no different. Any boardgame that does not incorporate the medium's unique qualities (like interactivity, like the overlap of protagonist & audience, etc.) fails as a narrative boardgame. But that doesn't mean that narrative and gaming is at odds with one another. Gaming is only at odds with narratives as they are told in other, static media.

Great point. My only disagreement with you is with your bolded statement, in that you call it a "mistake". It's totally legitimate, and in fact very successful, to add book-narrative to a board game. If that makes it less "gamey", well some people like games that are not very gamey. I like it sometimes as well. Playing Arabian Nights can be incredibly fun, especially with people I know and care about. But I agree it's naturally of less interest to a board game thread like this one.

Admittedly, it's preference pure and simple. I'd rather designers tried to develop and expand what boardgames can offer, instead of simply mimicking other, more established narrative media. But then again, it took quite a long while for novels to really take advantage of what the medium offered. The same is true for film.

I'm just really impatient.

It's my strong preference as well. One reason I like Archipelago is because it really tries to merge the different types of game narrative; that is, when you tell a "game story", it actually makes sense to non-gamers, which still having the narrative tightly bound to the game mechanics. It also is an "exploration" game, where you bring out new tiles and expand the game space, but also you don't know when the end of the game is or what gives points, so you need to "explore" how to win the game as you play it. I feel like this is an example of a board game doing things only a board game can do.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Agents of SMERSH takes the basic mechanics of Arabian Nights and puts them into an actual game.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Agents of SMERSH takes the basic mechanics of Arabian Nights and puts them into an actual game.

Reminds me, I have to bone up on the rules again so I can play it with friends sometime.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Yo, is Legendary Predator as good as Encounters (Alien)? Because Encounters is fucking dope, so...

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I just wish Arabian Nights was shorter. That thing takes forever. The game we tried of it hit three hours and no one was even close to finishing.

Or, at least, for someone to make an app for it that does the management stuff. That'd be sweet.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Yo, is Legendary Predator as good as Encounters (Alien)? Because Encounters is fucking dope, so...

Slightly less good, still better than regular Legendary imo.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I just wish Arabian Nights was shorter. That thing takes forever. The game we tried of it hit three hours and no one was even close to finishing.

Or, at least, for someone to make an app for it that does the management stuff. That'd be sweet.

There is a website that makes the paragraph finding process faster and easier.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Quoting Arnold from the Predator movie never gets old so that adds alot to my enjoyment of the game. Bet I would love the Alien version as well but my copy was F'ed with missing cards and I'm to lazy to fix it.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »

Quoting Arnold from the Predator movie never gets old so that adds alot to my enjoyment of the game. Bet I would love the Alien version as well but my copy was F'ed with missing cards and I'm to lazy to fix it.

Is it that hard to get them replaced? I thought it was just an email.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    You know... eventually my group is going to play Scythe by the correct rules.

Just now discovered that Polania's "Camaraderie" ability only applies when you crush workers in combat. Stomping undefended workers is still penalized. In retrospect this is obvious ("in combat" are literally the first words written on the ability) but easy to overlook.

Not that this would have affected last night's win by Polania (would only have been relevant once and they had enough popularity for it to not matter), but they might not be the 4-0 we've experienced if we had been doing things correctly.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I guess not but I live in sweden and I also had to make a list of all the cards I had in to know whats missing.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I guess not but I live in sweden and I also had to make a list of all the cards I had in to know whats missing.

I guess they could be difficult about it. They may be cool and just eat the cost of replacing though, like Queen did for me. Cost them 20 euro (? I think it was that, approx $30USD iirc) to ship me the missing board pieces from Germany to the US.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

We really won't play with any count but three any more because of the length. It's an amazing experience and always good for laughs, but it's just too long. We also don't like playing with a much lower point total because then everyone's "tales" feel kind of half-baked. The game is great when your character has been around long enough to get turned into an ape and then get a pet hairless ape and then get a sex change (which happened to my wife).

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

It's also insanely sexist.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Fans of Paperback probably want to check out the KS for Word Domination. You're a 70s Bond villain stealing artifacts and things by making words from letter tiles, but your opponents can block your attempts to steal a given letter by also using it. Even better: you can suggest plays to other players and get rewarded for it!

Tim Fowers is only a consultant on this (and hooked the designer up with his artist), but it looks every bit as solid as his stuff.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Just now discovered that Polania's "Camaraderie" ability only applies when you crush workers in combat. Stomping undefended workers is still penalized. In retrospect this is obvious ("in combat" are literally the first words written on the ability) but easy to overlook.

Not that this would have affected last night's win by Polania (would only have been relevant once and they had enough popularity for it to not matter), but they might not be the 4-0 we've experienced if we had been doing things correctly.

We finally had a Polania win last week. It feels like the strength of that faction depends a ton on which board you get to go with it, and what your first encounter is. If neither one helps you get mechs going in a hurry, it seems like you're in a huge hole.

Also that game, I played the smurfs (blue) for the first time. That faction also feels awful to me - I literally had zero stars placed when the game ended. It was frustrating because it felt like I got off to a decent start and was Doing Things, but I didn't quite manage to get any stars placed. I was at like 5/6 upgrades, 3/4 buildings, 7/8 workers, 3/4 mechs, and was just short of finishing my secret objective (end a turn with $20 in cash).

• Options
    Fry wrote: »

We finally had a Polania win last week. It feels like the strength of that faction depends a ton on which board you get to go with it, and what your first encounter is. If neither one helps you get mechs going in a hurry, it seems like you're in a huge hole.

Also that game, I played the smurfs (blue) for the first time. That faction also feels awful to me - I literally had zero stars placed when the game ended. It was frustrating because it felt like I got off to a decent start and was Doing Things, but I didn't quite manage to get any stars placed. I was at like 5/6 upgrades, 3/4 buildings, 7/8 workers, 3/4 mechs, and was just short of finishing my secret objective (end a turn with $20 in cash).

I've won once with Nordic but it wasn't easy. Last night I was also the viking team and it looked like I was getting out to an early lead but couldn't convert that into actual points.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Nords are weird because none of their abilities are stand out crazy.

Like artillery is great but you probably wont be fighting enough for it to matter.

The ability to not need river walk is okay for your workers bu tyou still need a mech for movement efficiency and to get your character off your island.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    The Nord lake ability is one of my favorite in the game. It lets you do some nasty raids on people who think they're safe (The Red home territories, most notably... which I learned to my detriment ;)).

Edit: wait submerge is Polania, I mixed them up.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    The Nord lake ability is one of my favorite in the game. It lets you do some nasty raids on people who think they're safe (The Red home territories, most notably... which I learned to my detriment ;)).

Neah Nord Lake < Polania Lake. Like... it's best use is when losing a battle? In some very specific hexes?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Fans of Paperback probably want to check out the KS for Word Domination. You're a 70s Bond villain stealing artifacts and things by making words from letter tiles, but your opponents can block your attempts to steal a given letter by also using it. Even better: you can suggest plays to other players and get rewarded for it!

Tim Fowers is only a consultant on this (and hooked the designer up with his artist), but it looks every bit as solid as his stuff.

Yeah, I'm seriously considering dropping the $250 to get my wife in the game as a villain as a late-Valentine's Day surprise.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Neah Nord Lake < Polania Lake. Like... it's best use is when losing a battle? In some very specific hexes?

Nord lake can be brutal if you position your guys right, but yea it's a lot more situational.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

Better. And it has a competitive mode that is actually really good unlike normal Legendary.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    The real question is whether Big Trouble in Little China Legendary is as awesome as game + property has every right to be.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016

holy shit

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    We've had some Polania dominance as well

But the biggest win margins have been on Nord wins from one guy who seems to understand them really well

Somehow he manages to get the resources he needs and produce a lot and then get like 40 points by having tons of territory claimed by workers and buildings and 7+ popularity

we havent quite figured out how to stop it because it's so expensive to spend an action and a popularity sending a worker back to base and by the time you're riverwalking with speed the spot they really need requires you to walk past a worker to get to the worker you really want to send home. 2 move actions so 3 turns and will cost you 2 popularity

sig.gif
  • Options
    My group still hasn't figured out how to gain popularity efficiently, we've never had more than one player make it to the second bracket, and nobody has ever made it to the third. So punting workers isn't going to hurt anyone's score, other than the "wasted" action(s) to do it.

• Options
    I think we mostly get it from the monument and encounters. Always take the two for enlisting and depending on your bottom board you may be able to get a bunch through the uncovered bottom action. Is it build that gives the heart? Also mostly stay below six workers.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    So I took part as a volunteer/host in an office wide board game night. We had Codenames, Machi Koro, Tsuro, Sushi Go, and other quick games ready for teaching to nongamers. It's fun to watch the brains of the players suddenly shift gears as they grok everything. I think we converted more than a few people, since I hear people asking "Where do you buy this?" and "How much is this one?" and "When are you coming here again?" (the one who asked this last time thought that we were a game selling company or something).

That said, I initially volunteered 7 Wonders before I fully understood what I was going into (I thought it was a board game club thing), and the thought of strangers touching my cards unsupervised (And there was food supplied by the office! Chicken!) caused me a mild panic. (edit: and the whole time constraint thing)

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Negative components note about Captain Sonar: One of the dry erase markers included with the game went dry at the beginning of the second round. They're small, so I wasn't expecting much of an ink reservoir, but I mean goddamn.

I dropped by Target today and picked up a couple 8-packs of markers in different colors. Can't wait to see what the radio operators get up to when they can draw in two colors at once.

• Options
    I played Scythe for the first time last week and won with like double the points of the next player as Polania. With the player board I had I was able to go turn 1 Trade for 2 oil and then turn 2 Move and Upgrade to bring the cost of enlisting down to 2 grain which was paired with production. So I got all of my workers out while my character ran around getting tons of free resources from encounters and no one disrupted my engine as I just built all the things.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    fuck me Inis looks awesome. AWESOME. now to figure out whether i could actually ever get it played...

edit: also i wonder how it plays with 2... typically card drafting and area control stuff isnt the best with 2... but it looks so good... urrrrrrg

edit edit: well i preordered it, so... cmon November! :)

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Speaking of "story generation" games, I just got to play Betrayal at House on the Hill for the first time.

As an aside, why isn't it "Betrayal at THE House on the Hill"? Puzzling.

Anyway, I had a bit of a negative bias against it for some reason, and I was playing with strangers, one of whom REALLY didn't like the game, but it ended up being quite satisfactory and suitably epic, winning by skin of teeth etc etc. Nothing like rolling a skill check with 7 dice and getting a total of zero, at the worst possible time. Seems like a fun game to play if you don't take it too seriously.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    fuck me Inis looks awesome. AWESOME. now to figure out whether i could actually ever get it played...

edit: also i wonder how it plays with 2... typically card drafting and area control stuff isnt the best with 2... but it looks so good... urrrrrrg

edit edit: well i preordered it, so... cmon November! :)

This is the board game thread in a nutshell.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Speaking of "story generation" games, I just got to play Betrayal at House on the Hill for the first time.

As an aside, why isn't it "Betrayal at THE House on the Hill"? Puzzling.

Anyway, I had a bit of a negative bias against it for some reason, and I was playing with strangers, one of whom REALLY didn't like the game, but it ended up being quite satisfactory and suitably epic, winning by skin of teeth etc etc. Nothing like rolling a skill check with 7 dice and getting a total of zero, at the worst possible time. Seems like a fun game to play if you don't take it too seriously.

You absolutely cannot take it seriously. The game is wildly unbalanced, and if the Haunt occurs too early or too late one side will often just get steamrolled.

But I probably have more "Do you remember that time when..." stories from Betrayal than from any other game I've played.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    God, I want to buy Inis for the card art alone.

That game is GORGEOUS.

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    I had Inis on my radar from skimming the preview list on BGG. Then Sam Healey did a review for the Dice Tower and I was convinced that it was a dull and pointless game like many others. For budgetary reasons I am always eager to strike games off my watch list, so Inis seemed like the typical game to drop for me.

But then SUSD had to show up and piss all over my financial plans. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Merde.