As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I went over to Mox Boarding House in Bellevue today (Mox and Card Kingdom are having a Labor Day sale through next week). Ended up snagging like 6 Imperial Assault packs for 50% off!

...I don't own Imperial Assault yet.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I went over to Mox Boarding House in Bellevue today (Mox and Card Kingdom are having a Labor Day sale through next week). Ended up snagging like 6 Imperial Assault packs for 50% off!

We need to get a Seattle area PA group going. There's gotta be enough of us to get some good board games going.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

We need to get a Seattle area PA group going. There's gotta be enough of us to get some good board games going.

I'm very down. I need some people to get some heavier games in with!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Finally playing Dead of Winter: The Long Night and it is pretty fun with all the modules, but it's just a mess ruleswise. Could really use an FAQ or something.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Finally playing Dead of Winter: The Long Night and it is pretty fun with all the modules, but it's just a mess ruleswise. Could really use an FAQ or something.
    Is this compared to the original game Dead of Winter? Or is this the first time you've played Dead of Winter? Because the rules are a bit scattered in the original as well.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Is this compared to the original game Dead of Winter? Or is this the first time you've played Dead of Winter? Because the rules are a bit scattered in the original as well.

Compared mostly. The rules were a bit of a mess in the other, but I think the sheer number of new interactions this one has leaves way too much debating on the rules.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Wait a second, 2016? That means it's the 30th anniversary of Fireball fucking Island!!

pic225116_md.jpg

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Wait a second, 2016? That means it's the 30th anniversary of Fireball fucking Island!!

pic225116_md.jpg

I feel old all at once. I'll just go play it with the kids then..

steam_sig.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Started off tonight light with Art of War and King of Tokyo while people trickled in. Then my friends really wanted to revisit Scythe, and we had a good game. My friends left me almost entirely to my own devices though, so playing as the Rusviets I was able to crank out all my workers and produce essential resources pretty quickly by repeating top-level actions and put myself in a good position to build and upgrade and nail my last 4 victory points in 2 turns later on, which nobody saw coming. Not a close game in the end as a result, but still fun.

Then we played a game of Trekking: The National Parks since my wife has been wanting to. Fun game, also on the light side. Obviously heavily inspired by Ticket to Ride, but with enough differences to stand up on its own. I feel like you have to be a bit more flexible as you play, and that any initial strategy can only be very general - you won't be planning things out as far in advance and in as much detail as you would in TTR. There is a minor blocking mechanic but it requires keeping your own player piece in the location you want to block off, so not too much of a hardship for others since it can only be fairly temporary.

The plan was to then play Captain Sonar before we lost our 6th player and finish up with Vast. Bad call on my part, as Captain Sonar was a huge hit and we ended up playing three games straight, until it was too late to keep going. Even just playing the turn-based Alpha scenario was a blast. One ship lost the first game when their captain couldn't stand waiting and decided to take a 50/50 torpedo shot. He chose poorly, and the opposing radio operator was able to make his final determination between 3 possible locations based on the shot, and the game was never really in doubt after that. In our second game we were in trouble with our location pinpointed and only one viable route, so I activated the Silence system and used it to move a single space in the worst possible direction rather than 1-4 spaces in the opposite direction, which appeared to be the only viable route. We followed it up by surfacing immediately, clearing all systems damage for the engineer and more importantly wiping out our route, which we were completely trapped by in the square we'd moved to. The opposing ship spent all 3 turns they got in a row trying to determine where we were to the east (while we had headed west). The route they were stuck in at that point had only one possible outlet, in our direction, and we were able to lay a mine for a direct hit shortly after and follow up with a torpedo direct hit for the win. Pretty great since we'd taken 2 of 4 allowed damage from a direct hit before our Silence shenanigans. The opposing captain and radio operator kept cursing about "crazy fucking Ivans" as they realized what was happening too late to do anything about it, and fired a desperation torpedo that took us to 3/4 damage with an indirect hit. Definitely a highlight of the night, and honestly of gaming in general this year.

Ketar on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Friends, what's a good multiplayer LCG to get into these days?

Wearingglasses on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I know we were discussing The Others somewhere back a few pages but I couldn't quickly track down the posts. Point is, I got to give it a shot last night. FAITH lost, but not super-hard, vs Gluttony mostly due to terrible luck with our rolls in the last few turns and not making much use of buildings in the first round, I suspect. I'm not sure I like it; would like another crack at it with more sense of urgency and a better idea what's going on before I pass judgment. I like the general idea of a pedal-to-the-floor paced version of Descent, though. Going in blind it took about 2 hours to get sorted out and play through, which is pretty quick for a game like that especially if you don't know it going in.

Also, nobody told me I could be a gorilla in that. You guys let me down. :?

We managed my / at least one other of the experienced players' first win at The Grizzled afterwards, as well, mostly due to the new expansion making it somewhat easier to stay afloat and our playing on the introductory mode. It was still pretty tense and I suspect we'd have had real issues with a larger deck to work through.

And then I got to try out some of the new Sentinels stuff, specifically the XTREME Prime Wardens version of Haka, partnered with Xtreme Tempest, Xtreme Captain Cosmic, and Xtreme Argent Adept. We were up against Citizen Dawn and she hit the Blood, Sweat, & Tears combo during set-up, which was rough to get rolling against. Fortunately I got to swing my Taiaha around like a maniac and clear that thanks to Cosmic and Argent throwing powers my way, at which point we were rolling along nicely until she flipped with only 24 health left due to the Dok'Thorath Defiant Looters skimming Citizens off her deck. We'd probably have won eventually barring another really ill-timed Devastating Aurora, but the store was closing so we packed up.

Xtreme Haka is not as good as regular PW Haka, but his damage-redirect power is a pretty good one vs minion-heavy villains or environments. I spent a surprising amount of the game actually using stuff like Vitality Surge and Haka of Restoration because between Dok'Thorath and Citizen Dawn there was a ton of AoE damage floating around. I've come to really enjoy Haka after initially dismissing him but he still lacks a slam-dunk "And everything is good now" card. I still think regular PW Haka is the best Haka.

Also, as I already mentioned to Vyolynce, I am super excited about Lifeline's deck now. He's got north of 30 health and solid base powers on both versions; he's probably going to be either a tank or similar to Nightmist, and I'm gonna enjoy that.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in reviews of The Others. A version of Arkham where someone gets to play the ancient one?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

As in 3+? Game of Thrones or LOTR depending on whether you want competitive of co-op.

If it's just for two, Netrunner.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

pic225116_md.jpg

You feel old? This is what the wife and I played last night...

49104211.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

SENTINELS OF THE MULTIVERSE. Easily my favorite game published in the past five years.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

pic225116_md.jpg

49104211.jpg

Yesssss my brothers and I played this game so much when we were little.

Ah_Pook on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Shadowfist!!!!

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

SENTINELS OF THE MULTIVERSE. Easily my favorite game published in the past five years.

Not, technically, an LCG? Very close (and if you're into LCG/CCGs very solid) but no actual deckbuilding elements.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Doomtown Reloaded is 2-4 players. It was recently cancelled, which means you can pick it up and all expansions for cheap. My FLGS had it at 30-40% off retail.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Almost forgot: the Wrath of Khan soundtrack is absolutely perfect background music for Captain Sonar. So was music from The Hunt For Red October. It's already a phenomenally atmospheric game with loads of tension, and both soundtracks just added to it.

I can't wait to give it a try in real-time mode as opposed to taking turns. It should only ratchet up the tension and panic that much more :D

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Multiplayer LCG brings Legend of the Five Rings immediately to mind.
    It's getting a reboot, but you'll have to wait until next year :-(

In the interim, Codex looks pretty neat.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    We played a round of Star Trek: Ascendancy this afternoon. As a strictly 3-player game, it suffers from the same problem that often plagues 3-player games: the first person to approach victory will be removed from play by the other two, and then whichever of them is ahead just wins. It's also super dice-swingy, even moreso than Eclipse. I think it will be much better once the expansion races are available, as the dynamic will change significantly when it's a four or five player game. I'm not sold on the downtime, though.

• CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

pic225116_md.jpg

49104211.jpg

Yesssss my brothers and I played this game so much when we were little.

I have my copy right next to Heroquest

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

As in 3+? Game of Thrones or LOTR depending on whether you want competitive of co-op.

I would say instead of Lotr then wait for Arkham horror which is rumored to be releaseing around Halloween this year. Obviously the theme is different but it is being designed by the same guys behind the Lotr games.

Bedlam wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

I would say instead of Lotr then wait for Arkham horror which is rumored to be releaseing around Halloween this year. Obviously the theme is different but it is being designed by the same guys behind the Lotr games.
    The problem with that advice is the same problem with most LCGs; with the base set, there just isn't that much to do in terms of deckbuilding. LotR is pretty mature, and has dozens of expansions, so you'll have a lot of cards to potentially buy and play with.

I mean, if you want to get into an LCG on the ground floor and just keep up with expansions as they come out (which is a totally valid way of doing it), then Arkham Horror LCG and the new edition of Game of Thrones LCG are pretty good.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

pic225116_md.jpg

49104211.jpg

My wife brought this home from her parents house. Amazingly all pieces intact except for the 4 player pieces.

the-amazing-labyrinth-board-game-by-ravensburger-1988-complete-fdd3883fe7751452660ca3bc846db9d9.jpg

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I've come to really enjoy Haka after initially dismissing him but he still lacks a slam-dunk "And everything is good now" card. I still think regular PW Haka is the best Haka.

I dunno, Savage Mana can be that, depending on the villain and how big they are into discard-fishing.

Tonight: July. Can't wait.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Played Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition last night via Skype. I really like it--they've sanded off a lot of the rough edges, and brought in some of the streamlining lessons they learned from Eldritch.

That said, the app does so much that I'm not sure we weren't basically tricked into spending $100 on superfluous physical materials for what is basically a video game.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »
    I've come to really enjoy Haka after initially dismissing him but he still lacks a slam-dunk "And everything is good now" card. I still think regular PW Haka is the best Haka.

I dunno, Savage Mana can be that, depending on the villain and how big they are into discard-fishing.

If there is a problem that Rampage or Ground Pound can't fix then you're really in it deep, IMO.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited August 2016

He also has Rampage (5 damage to EVERYTHING) and Ground Pound (stop all damage for a turn). He has a really good toolkit that makes him a credit to just about any team. His only disadvantage are card repeats, but all of his "Haka" cards are deck-thinners. He's pretty solid.

Edit: Beat'ed by Vyolynce! :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Ground pound is amazing for tough control tasks in the app. Get your whole deck into your hand and ground pound every turn.

sig.gif
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    anyone here play gruff by studio woe? we missed the kickstarter, well not really missed we just didn't back it, because i couldn't convince my wife in time that "tactical card game about killer mutant goats" would be fantastic. we ended up backing a different game instead but at gencon we stumbled on their booth. since they had a special going for the playmat and the base game i figured i would pick it up. we didn't get to play it until we got back home but it is awesome and she really likes it. i wish i had known there was a world champs at gencon and i would've gone just to observe.

so yeah, anyone play it? the subreddit seems pretty quite as well as BGG so there isn't really any place to discuss the game that i have found. since both the wife and i tend to lean towards hyperv competitive (and i love discussing strategy anyway) i was hoping to find a community for the game but as i mentioned not so much so far.

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Inis looks very very interesting to me... but preorder is still almost $70! Seems high for a 60-90 minute game, though I usually don't care about such price-to-length ratios.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Ground pound is amazing for tough control tasks in the app. Get your whole deck into your hand and ground pound every turn.
    Vyolynce wrote: »

If there is a problem that Rampage or Ground Pound can't fix then you're really in it deep, IMO.

See, I agree about Rampage, but it can take a very long time (or not, with Rampage) to set Savage Mana up and you may be pretty messed up by then. Lead From the Front, Flesh to Iron + Alchemical Redirection, and even Thorathian Monolith are often simpler (especially Lead From The Front) solutions to damage-distribution issues than Ground Pound although it's definitely one of Haka's best cards.

I'm by no means suggesting that Haka is bad, just that the number of situations he solves that don't have other just-as-good solutions is kind of few. Except for Savage Mana, which is really cool; Fanatic's the only one who can really compete in that arena with Wrathful Retribution and Chastise, though I'd bet Void Guard Writhe will have something to say about letting minions do things.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Sooo I think I'll go with Doomtown Reloaded.

- Netrunner: only for two players.
    - Shadowfist: cool theme (the About the Game description pegs it as "card game based on Hong Kong action movies"), nigh impossible to get here
    - Sentinels: the bit about coming in complete is nice, but not really feeling the theme
    - LOTR: It's coop, and I'm not a big LOTR fan, but my other playbuddies are, so I'ma let them get this one
    - Arkham Horror: not out yet.
    - Game of Thrones: I would've gotten this, but a friend has the first ed box (so there's a bit of an overlap), and we haven't even played that yet.

The internet tells me that for better results, I should buy the first two/three expansions to buff the Clown faction, and give some good stuff to all three. For best results though, I should buy a second core set.

Thoughts?

Wearingglasses on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Well, Doomtown Reloaded has been discontinued, that may or may not be a big deal to you.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Sooo I think I'll go with Doomtown Reloaded.

- Netrunner: only for two players.
    - Shadowfist: cool theme (the About the Game description pegs it as "card game based on Hong Kong action movies"), nigh impossible to get here
    - Sentinels: the bit about coming in complete is nice, but not really feeling the theme
    - LOTR: It's coop, and I'm not a big LOTR fan, but my other playbuddies are, so I'ma let them get this one
    - Arkham Horror: not out yet.
    - Game of Thrones: I would've gotten this, but a friend has the first ed box (so there's a bit of an overlap), and we haven't even played that yet.

The internet tells me that for better results, I should buy the first two/three expansions to buff the Clown faction, and give some good stuff to all three. For best results though, I should buy a second core set.

Thoughts?

While two core sets is going to have a lot of cards that you won't use all the time, doing so will get you 4 Jokers (enough for two decks). Other Jokers were only ever given out at events and are kind of BS. That's if you're buying cards for two people; if you're only going for yourself, one set will be enough. Some cards only had two in the core set, but I don't think they're that important.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    edited August 2016
    Guys, due to my in-laws watching the kids we were able to start early and marathon THREE Pandemic Legacy games tonight.
    July, August, and September. That's right, all wins!

We're finally back on track, but actually going to try and finish up before Thanksgiving and risk not finishing by Christmas. Plus my wife is having a baby in Sept at some point (due 24th).

July:
    So July started off well. Two faded cities with three to start,but the rest of the world wasn't bad. The nice part was that we started with enough cards to find the virologist in the first 3-4 turns. This then freed us up to work on the other objectives, which are not too bad because we have 4 military bases as permanent.
    End up finishing the game without much of an issue.

August:
    However, August was another story. It started out rough and got worse. Again, we got enough cards within the first few turns to find the immunologist, which was fantastic but we started getting cities with 3 cubes all over and a few outbreaks. Fortunately,we were finally able to get it under control after 4 outbreaks and eradicate black and blue even while waiting for red. Ended up giving black the fourth positive mutation and blue the second. It was a close game though as one more turn could have chained some outbreaks and maybe ended it.

September:
    This game started out great with no yellow and one red, but blue and black were going to need attention and fast. We didn't have the cards to search for the soldier, and despite my attempts to set us up, never drew enough yellow from the deck to find him. Had an outbreak in Atlanta for the first time due to epidemic, so now at 1 there. Had a few close calls saved by a quarantine marker or a single cube removal. This was the first time we had the cards to not only cure red, but even eradicate it! Kept it mostly under control with one faded outbreak and used the black bonus (4: remove all cubes when treating disease) to keep it from getting out of hand. Had to complete the quarantine objective for the first time to win, but that was made easier with my latest character upgrade to place them adjacent from military bases.

Sad we didn't find the soldier, as I'm sure we'll get another thing to search next month, but man the story and game and fun keep getting better!

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Well, Doomtown Reloaded has been discontinued, that may or may not be a big deal to you.

Yeah, I've heard. I figure it's the best time to get into it if ever, since everything is still available. Plus I don't have to worry about whether or not I should get new cards.
    Bursar wrote: »
    While two core sets is going to have a lot of cards that you won't use all the time, doing so will get you 4 Jokers (enough for two decks). Other Jokers were only ever given out at events and are kind of BS. That's if you're buying cards for two people; if you're only going for yourself, one set will be enough. Some cards only had two in the core set, but I don't think they're that important.

I'm planning on building playable decks for four players (probably up to six with the other two factions). Are the jokers that big a boost for a deck?