As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect: Andromeda Announced! Featuring EVEN HOTTER humanoid ship AI!

19596979899101»

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I think I just spotted the first attempt to lower the overall threat from impossible to nearly impossible!
    Reaper Variants. That wasn't implied before! ME2's ending showed a fleet of cuttlefish, all of em looked like Sovereign or Harbinger. Now the codex says that the big, near indestructible Reapers are "Sovereign Class" and are by far the largest type, implying that the bulk of the Reaper armada is lesser, more killable kinds.

I don't really like that! I guess it was never a hard fact that the entire Reaper race was unkillable, 2km long death squids, but that was certainly implied. Knowing that most of them aren't as big and bad as Sovereign or Harbinger is disappointing.

also what did they do to my ship. Apparently 'retrofit' means turning all the fucking lights off.

And I don't think Yeoman Chambers fed my fish. They're all gone. :<

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

You still have a fish tank, so not all is lost!

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

You still have a fish tank, so not all is lost!

Also save 25k for your first visit to the Citadel

Also also fully explore the Citadel between Priority missions, things can change up.

Just dumped Liara, right into the traaaash

sorry Liara

all about dat Turian d now <3

(where can I find Garrus?)

Oh brilliant
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Vega is pretty much the best human companion in the trilogy.

Subjective opinion sure, but he's really awesome.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    The first time I played ME3, I didn't take him seriously, probably in part because of that Jersey Shore video.

The second time, I gave him a chance, and he turned out to be pretty cool.

The third, I took him along as a teammate and liked him even more.

Alas, if only you could bring more spacebros with you.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    the best human companion

Isn't that like being "the tastiest sewage"?

edited August 2016
    Doing From Ashes
    PROTHEANS! HOLY SHIIIIT

seeing a Prothean city, with skyscrapers and trees. It's surreal, seeing them as actual people rather than a myth. They even appear to have biotic equivalents? Also, was that Ilos? Or were there multiple vaults, and all were discovered and destroyed, except Ilos?

Those stompy mech Reapers, they're a smaller version? Still pretty dang intimidating...

I'm surprised Liara never did the mind meld dealie to try and get a copy of Shepherd's Prothean cypher from Feros.

ed just found a shout out to @Cambiata in here! :O

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    the best human companion

Isn't that like being "the tastiest sewage"?

Kasumi and Zaeed are pretty good, and Jack winds up being okay, after a rough opener.

So, Vega has some competition, at least. But they're all good. Unlike certain other humans I could name.

edited August 2016
    I kinda miss the ME2 cursor. In that, you scan it across a room and boom, you can see every interactable. In this one, you gotta be right on top of a thing to know you can boop it. Makes finding sidequest stuff a lot harder. I walked past a terminal three times before noticing it had a thing on it.

ed; I also miss the waypoint thing. I didn't ping it too often, and when I did it had troubles, but it was way better than this one. I'm lost, where do I go? It restates the objective with no hint as to where to go. Yes, I know I need to find a way to extend the bridge. But where do I go to do that.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    From Ashes
    wow. This guy is kind of a prick! This is awesome. He is not at all what I expected from the last Prothean. He's not some perfect specimen of this amazing race, he's just a guy. I loved his lines about being amused by how he's talking to the primitive species of his time.

"The lizard people evolved?"
    "I believe they're amphibians.
    "...they used to eat flies."

looks like the Collectors are just the Husk form of Protheans, not a designed race but an automatic process, like these Cannibal things are what Batarians turn into. That's neat. Like each race will produce a different end result Husk, some more useful than others.

The touch memory thing is some neat writing. It explains the Beacons real well, and allows for this guy to get caught up to speed instantly. It also makes sense that a race with that ability would have had the best shot at fighting the Reapers, when knowledge and experience doesn't have to be relayed and there's no need to be diplomatic or convincing when you have to warn someone, you just boop em and they know.

gotta say, this all feels crucial, I dunno what ME3 would look like without this guy? Surprised it's DLC!

Oh brilliant
    Primitives

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    From Ashes
    wow. This guy is kind of a prick! This is awesome. He is not at all what I expected from the last Prothean. He's not some perfect specimen of this amazing race, he's just a guy. I loved his lines about being amused by how he's talking to the primitive species of his time.

"The lizard people evolved?"
    "I believe they're amphibians.
    "...they used to eat flies."

looks like the Collectors are just the Husk form of Protheans, not a designed race but an automatic process, like these Cannibal things are what Batarians turn into. That's neat. Like each race will produce a different end result Husk, some more useful than others.

The touch memory thing is some neat writing. It explains the Beacons real well, and allows for this guy to get caught up to speed instantly. It also makes sense that a race with that ability would have had the best shot at fighting the Reapers, when knowledge and experience doesn't have to be relayed and there's no need to be diplomatic or convincing when you have to warn someone, you just boop em and they know.

gotta say, this all feels crucial, I dunno what ME3 would look like without this guy? Surprised it's DLC!

It's extra background. It's nice to have, but is by no means crucial.

He's still awesome.

Primitives.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    He's not essential but he adds a lot to certain areas, lore-wise. When you get a mission sending you to a particular homeworld, make sure you bring both him and the character from that homeworld along with you.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Doing From Ashes
    PROTHEANS! HOLY SHIIIIT

seeing a Prothean city, with skyscrapers and trees. It's surreal, seeing them as actual people rather than a myth. They even appear to have biotic equivalents? Also, was that Ilos? Or were there multiple vaults, and all were discovered and destroyed, except Ilos?

Those stompy mech Reapers, they're a smaller version? Still pretty dang intimidating...

I'm surprised Liara never did the mind meld dealie to try and get a copy of Shepherd's Prothean cypher from Feros.

One of the writers on the trilogy used to be a regular here, so there's a handful of shoutouts in ME3.

sig.gif
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    You absolutely have to take him and Liara to Thesslia.

Strikor wrote: »
    The first time I played ME3, I didn't take him seriously, probably in part because of that Jersey Shore video.

I thought James was gonna be total shit after his preview before ME3 came out.

Easily one of the best additions though. He's a bro for sure which would normally be a death knell but he's like some kind of weird incarnation of only positive bro traits with some of my favorite crew interaction in the game.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Easily one of the best additions though. He's a bro for sure which would normally be a death knell but he's like some kind of weird incarnation of only positive bro traits with some of my favorite crew interaction in the game.

Oh God yes, so much James hate. "Oh GOD, another disgusting human with MUSCLES here to RUIN my immersion!"

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Sorce wrote: »
    Doing From Ashes
    PROTHEANS! HOLY SHIIIIT

One of the writers on the trilogy used to be a regular here, so there's a handful of shoutouts in ME3.

takyris shall always be in our hearts, quads, and claw-hammers.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

Oh God yes, so much James hate. "Oh GOD, another disgusting human with MUSCLES here to RUIN my immersion!"

Honestly I think the biggest crime was the preview image being his derpiest costume

Then again ME3 did a great job of having some super terrible costume options. It's like they felt the urge to make sure every character had at least one Kai Leng look.

Except Kai Leng's look was atrocious.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Vega is awesome, if it was possible to have a third party member on missions i would pretty much always take him with me. And yeah, Javik is even more awesome.

Shame, that from new additions to party in ME3
    EDI dissapoints after being great in ME2 as NPC

Asthariel on
    Might want to spoiler that. I don't think DRX has met that squadmate yet!

Also, yes.

Asthariel wrote: »
    Vega is awesome, if it was possible to have a third party member on missions i would pretty much always take him with me. And yeah, Javik is even more awesome.

How does EDI disappoint?

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

How does EDI disappoint?
    That was a joke.

(I hope.) :heartbeat: EDI

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

How does EDI disappoint?
    No one asked for her being a squadmate, everyone liked her well enough in a role of NPC. I don't personally like her appearance, and although it's a subjective matter, i think it's pretty popular opinion in fandom.

My biggest problem is cliche "i want to be a real girl" storyline, made worse by repeating it with Legion, EVEN THOUGH it was specifically said in ME2 that Geth don't want individuality! AI's can be really compelling characters in SF, but please, let them remain alien in comparison to organics, there is no need to make them "more human" every time.

It's not like i hate her, or consider her a bad character - but in comparion to Garrus, Tali, James and Javik she simply doesn't impress me so much.

Asthariel on

How does EDI disappoint?
    No one asked for her being a squadmate, everyone liked her well enough in a role of NPC. I don't personally like her appearance, and although it's a subjective matter, i think it's pretty popular opinion in fandom.

My biggest problem is cliche "i want to be a real girl" storyline, made worse by repeating it with Legion, EVEN THOUGH it was specifically said in ME2 that Geth don't want individuality! AI's can be really compelling characters in SF, but please, let them remain alien in comparison to organics, there is no need to make them "more human" every time.

It's not like i hate her, or consider her a bad character - but in comparion to Garrus, Tali, James and Javik she simply doesn't impress me so much.
    ehhhhh I disagree with it being a "I want to be a real girl" story line but fair enough

• GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Guys, I just wanted to let you know that @Strikor and I have decided to get married on Nov. 7.

I assume Strikor had to fight a thresher maw before his clan was allowed to court.

How did the lad fair?

Also, super grats. Is there a registry?

Yes we do, thank you for asking!

https://www.amazon.com/wedding/mary-pekowski-zach-strawser-garland-november-2016/registry/PYZUXB9A1ORH

(Scrolls through. Sees normal house stuff. Blinds. Cooking. Camping. NVIDIA 980 GTX)

Nerds

Well I would have added Mass Effect stuff in there but I've literally already bought every Mass Effect thing I ever wanted so there's nothing to add.
    Doing From Ashes
    PROTHEANS! HOLY SHIIIIT

Wait what shoutout?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The From Ashes DLC has Ed Crabb, Cambiata, and I think one other name? Then there's a C-Sec side mission later on that's run by Jordyn.

sig.gif
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The From Ashes DLC has Ed Crabb, Cambiata, and I think one other name? Then there's a C-Sec side mission later on that's run by Jordyn.

Jordyn Knowles, E-Crimes division.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    ed just found a shout out to Cambiata in here! :O

Wait what shoutout?[/quote]

cambiata.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • morgan_cokemorgan_coke Registered User regular

Wait what shoutout?

cambiata.jpg

[/quote]

You TRAITOR!

XBL: Morgan Coke Yes, there is a space, not an underscore. I'm old school like that.
    Battle.net: morgancoke#1589

Titan's Creed: Jump first, don't ask questions, punch everything
  • GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

Wait what shoutout?

cambiata.jpg

[/quote]

No nicer person on these boards to have a shoutout, nice!

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    done

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    obviously the first thing to happen in the new thread is vsove confirming if that's a shoutout or not

This discussion has been closed.