As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless keyboard for HTPC/light gaming

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
I have an HTPC that I use as a Steambox with Xbox controllers and for that purpose it works great.

My keyboard, however, is a problem.

I'm using an older Logitech PS3 Mediaboard Pro with a USB bluetooth dongle and the range is terrible. My couch is only about 10 feet away from the computer and there is an LCD TV blocking line of sight, but I effectively can't sit on the couch and use the keyboard. It will only register some keypresses at not others. For all intents and purposes, I have to be standing at the TV to use the keyboard.

I don't intend to do WASD or FPS gaming on a wireless keyboard. This would be for stuff like password entry or the occasional strategy game.

So what I'm looking for is either:

1) A replacement wireless keyboard with an integrated touchpad that people have been able to do use reliably at a 10-foot distance.
or
2) A reliable way to extend the range of a Bluetooth peripheral to 10 feet. (A better Bluetooth dongle, perhaps?)

TIA.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-Touchpad/dp/B005DKZTMG

This is what I use. works well. Line of sight can still fuck with their unifying stuff sometimes, but usually it's only the mouse gets delayed by 1-2 seconds instead.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    What distance do you use it at?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    What distance do you use it at?

15ish feet give or take

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    This option is higly dependent on your floor plan, but I used to run a concealed USB extension cable from the PC to bring the receiver to me.

E: "Used to" because now I just use specific control apps on my phone for the HTPC stuff and androidVNC for generic stuff requiring a keyboard (like alt tabbing). YMMV on whether that suits your use case.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I'd get a small extension cable for the USB dongle before I'd try a new keyboard. There's a good chance you'll end out with the same problem with a new keyboard.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    As an anti-recommendation, I have the Logitech MK270 combo in a similar setup, and they really don't handle broken LOS at all. I'm sitting about 5 feet away and if the coffee table comes between the keyboard and the receiver, it starts dropping keystrokes. Cheap though.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    This is all good feedback. Running a USB cable to the couch is a no-go, but using a USB cable to bring the receiver into line of sight is a possibility.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    This is all good feedback. Running a USB cable to the couch is a no-go, but using a USB cable to bring the receiver into line of sight is a possibility.

I didn't describe it very well, but I was thinking of something along the lines of placing it discreetly with double sided tape on the corner of the tv stand or tv itself. Kind of like the Wii-Bar is nice and clean and out of the way.

• Options
    Madpoet wrote: »
    As an anti-recommendation, I have the Logitech MK270 combo in a similar setup, and they really don't handle broken LOS at all. I'm sitting about 5 feet away and if the coffee table comes between the keyboard and the receiver, it starts dropping keystrokes. Cheap though.

Yeah the 270 uses the nano receiver instead of the unifying one

those bluetooth and "wifi" (nano) receivers were garbage

unifying works okay, but LoS is definitely better if you can manage that @feral

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    This one has great reviews and I was thinking of getting it for myself. Anyone have any experince with it?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-Internet-Connected/dp/B014EUQOGK

• Options
    looks like a newer version of the one I have, I really do enjoy it for HTPC uses

it's a bit uncomfortable to type on at first, but you get used to it... I might actually upgrade to that

• Options
    Thanks everybody. I went to Best Buy (cuz I have a gift card) to get a K400 Plus...

...but then the Logitech K830 called to me, so I bought that instead.

• Options
    Thanks everybody. I went to Best Buy (cuz I have a gift card) to get a K400 Plus...

you should return it and get this instead:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/landing/lapdog

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

How is the connection doing now with the new keyboard?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Shadowfire wrote: »

How is the connection doing now with the new keyboard?

Much better, thanks.

I tried it first without line of sight and it was good enough to play Cities Skylines. No missed keystrokes, occasional jumpy mouse. With line of sight, the jumpy mouse has gone away.

I will still wouldn't try FPSing on it.

BTW the keyboard came with its own USB extension cable.

Feral on