As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2016 BYOC Mega Thread

DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room DeputyRegistered User regular
edited August 2016 in PAX West
Hello all!

PAX is approaching quickly and it's that time of year again, BYOC GROUP SEATING! I am running a few days behind but that wont phase you super awesome people now will it? The deal is pretty much the same as last year and every PAX before. Check out the details below and get those requests in! Last year we had a packed house and we unfortunately had to split up some groups that did not pre-register (tisk tisk) so I highly advise that if you have a group to sent in a request.

I also want to point out that we have the PC Mod showcase which sits right inside the main BYOC entrance, so if you have an awesome rig that makes others drool send me some pics (OF YOUR RIG) and if it makes us feel good in all the right places we will grant you one of these epic spots.

Group Seating Details:
GROUP SEATING OPEN DATE: TODAY!
GROUP SEATING CLOSE DATE: August 29th at midnight PDT

Group Seating Requirements:
  • Your party is considered a group if you have SIX or more people.
  • Groups must pre-register seating assignments prior to PAX, or else seats will be based on first come first serve availability.
  • Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
  • Passes for ALL 4 days of PAX! (recommended to maximize fun, but not a hard requirement)
  • If you have multiple BYOC badges, those count as seats (group members) so if you have 6 BYOC passes in your "group" (regardless the number of physical bodies) you qualify for group seating.

To request group seating, use the seating chart below to choose your seats and email pax_pc at paxsite dot com
Include the following information when requesting:
Group Name
Number of People (include handles too)
Desired Location

Seating Chart:
PAX-2015_Prime-2016-GS.png

BYOC Informational Mailer:
Hello!

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX West to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together a little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/pax-west.

--- PAX WEST Badge Registration ---

Your PAX West BYOC badges should be mailed to you shortly if you haven't received them already. Should you have questions or issues with this, please contactregistration@paxsite.com.

--- Getting There ---

Parking Directions Video - North Bound: http://www.wscc.com/find-it/3152/nojs
Parking Directions Video - South Bound: http://www.wscc.com/find-it/3153/nojs

The BYOC Room is located on the third floor of the building building technically called the ‘Conference Center' (although we just call it the Annex).

You will be allowed to enter the building early, at 8:00am on Friday ONLY, to begin checking in and being seated. Entry on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday all begin at 10:00am. BE WARNED. There will probably be a line forming in front of the building of non-byoc people. If you have a BYOC badge, walk right past them, you'll be able to enter the building early. If you haven't received your badge yet for whatever reason, you'll need to pick it up from Level 1 of the Grand Hyatt Hotel. You'll probably want to leave your computer in the car until you get the badge. If that's impossible for whatever reason, then just bring your rig to the Annex entrance and we'll try to prevent you from having to roam around Seattle while carrying 50lbs of steel.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

- BYOC Pass
- Computer
- Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
- Keyboard
- Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
- Mouse pad
- Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient)
- Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips. Maximum of two power connected devices)
- Headphones
- Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer, BYOC Help Desk, or other LANFest Representative and we might be able to help out.

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is EXTREMELY limited!

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved. We would also like to remind everyone that there is absolutely NO personal network equipment allowed (Switches, routers, WiFi AP’s, etc).

***AGAIN, PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE***

The PAX WEST BYOC schedule is as follows:

Friday: 8:00am - 11:30pm
Saturday: 10:00am - 11:30pm
Sunday: 10:00am - 11:30pm
Monday: 10:00am - 6:00pm

--- Tournament Schedule ---

The PC Tournament Schedule can be found on the PAX West website here: http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/category/pc-p
. Note these do not include BYOC exclusive events that we'll be peer pressuring you into.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in. The unofficial PAX West BYOC twitter account is @PAXBYOC, and can be followed for updates leading up to and during the show.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room….it’s for your own protection.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent phones, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Overwatch ---

You and five of your friends face off against 6 random strangers in a test of--... what? Nope! Do you like tho shoot things? Do you like to shoot things while travelling through time? Or creating a turret that kills people with light? Or leaping into the fray to the sound of a roaring gorilla? Or maybe just skating around, dropping some phat beats and keeping your teammates alive? These are all things you do in Overwatch. Or... at least, I do. Why aren't you? Come on, let's go have some fun. And by 'have some fun' I really mean 'smack down some internet randoms' or 'see how many people you can charge off a ledge as Reinhardt' or 'blast someone off of the point on Ilios as Lucio.... again'. Whichever sounds fun. Let's go!

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have Ventrilo & Discord servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the clients available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install Ventrilo AND/OR Discord before you come to the event. You can download the client at http://www.ventrilo.com & https://discordapp.com/

-=Dreggor
PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
PAX East PC Room Deputy
Dreggor on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    from Dave's thread
    If you'd like to have your own private space in our BYOC area with wired internet and power, you can get BYOC passes from here: https://www.showclix.com/event/bc38524452720250

You'll also need PAX day passes as well, of course.

• DreggorDreggor [E] PAX East PC Room Deputy Registered User regular
    Seating Chart updated.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I have placed a request for BYOmegaNauts team. D 8 to D 12 and C8 to C12

cheers!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    So I just bought my BYOC pass like last week. Will it be shipped or do I have to pick it up at will call?

XyqJPIp.png
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Email sent

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Elmnator AKA ElmyElmnator AKA Elmy Registered User regular
    Hey Dreggor! I sent you a PM. Did you have a chance to read it?

Thanks

Elmy

edited August 2016
    Hey Dreggor! I sent you a PM. Did you have a chance to read it?

Thanks

Elmy

Replied.

Dreggor on
    -=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Seating chart updated with everything I have so far.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • Elmnator AKA ElmyElmnator AKA Elmy Registered User regular
    I'm so excited!!!

Can we get an Overwatch tourney? It would be much appreciated :-)

Seating chart updated once again.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Guess I'll just have to figure out where to get my BYOC pass then since nobody seems to know...

XyqJPIp.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    havok978 wrote: »
    Guess I'll just have to figure out where to get my BYOC pass then since nobody seems to know...
    default answer for questions if someone doesn't answer you here is email pax_questions@paxsite.com

zerzhul wrote: »
    havok978 wrote: »
    default answer for questions if someone doesn't answer you here is email pax_questions@paxsite.com

Yeah I know, but I haven't gotten a response back from them yet either.

XyqJPIp.png
  • ToastedTriggerToastedTrigger Registered User regular
    This may be a bit late, but I would like to bring up three things that I saw from last year's BYOC tournaments in hopes that there might be some tweaks to some of the tournaments for this upcoming PAX BYOC. The list below are some thoughts on what last year's BYOC tournaments were lacking and what to improve this year:

1) Lack of strategy games/RTS. With FPS and MOBAs conquering the scene for the majority of last year's BYOC tournaments, it was a bit underwhelming for people who enjoy RTS games and not have one listed as a tournament. Even though some of these games may not be part of "2016's hottest game titles", it would still be nice to see these kinds of games be added back to the mix (Age of empires 2, openra, dawn of war, and starcraft are part of a short list).

2) Other popular games were not considered because of the "pay-to-win" mechanic. It is easy to restrict such things to make a fun tournament for everyone (Example: Hearthstone: "basic cards only" tournament...no money/little time necessary).

3) Doing multiple tournaments for the same game. Don't get me wrong, League of Legends is fun, but doing two full tournaments of it last year seemed to be awfully time consuming(4-6 hours last year?). It prevented other cool games from being made into a tournament, which made it disappointing for those who do not enjoy that style of game. It also stepped into the time slot of other BYOC tournaments as it crept on throughout the day, which made it disappointing to miss out on those fun events.

Take these listed items as you will, as I know, organizing these events is not the easiest thing to do. This list was pulled from what I saw and heard about from last year's BYOC. Regardless of what may happen in this year's BYOC tournaments, I will be happy to partake and enjoy BYOC nonetheless. I am looking forward to it as always!

• BlueBrigandBlueBrigand Registered User new member
    How often does the group seating map get updated? My crew are looking at spots near a group that we're friends with and wondering how likely it is they're still open.

• PrivateNewbiePrivateNewbie Registered User regular
    Where can I find the 2016 FAQ? Trying to figure out when BYOC check-in will start on Friday,

Thanks!

• fightingwhityfightingwhity Registered User new member
    couple questions, Wondering what the max monitor size is for west byoc, and will it be alright if i have my tower on a dolly when i check in

• VanusVanus Registered User regular
    I think 27" is still the max size, and dollys are fine, I've never had a problem (though I have a folding one).

Seating chart updated, sorry for the delay was on a work road trip.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • celycely Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Where can I find the 2016 FAQ? Trying to figure out when BYOC check-in will start on Friday,

Thanks!
    We haven't had a FAQ for West BYOC since 2013. I don't know why. Anyway, BYOC check-in will start at around 8am on Friday only (10am on any other day if you can't make it on Friday). However, sometimes the Enforcers and/or Convention Center staff have delayed entry for one reason or another so don't freak out if things don't happen right on time. It's a big event, complications happen.

cely on
    rqUHgCM.png
  • grouchonthecouchgrouchonthecouch senor Felony Way, WARegistered User new member
    What entrance is best? I would like to be there as early as possible with my rig. Would be kind of lame to be rolling around a dolly full of expensive computers through the crowds.

• sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    Typically the main street entrance to the Annex. There are a couple loading/unloading only parking spots right there that you can use so you don't have to carry your rig from the parking garage (that is unless a giant statue is built there like last year)

46Eamp0.png
  • BlueBrigandBlueBrigand Registered User new member
    In 2014 (I didn't make it to PAX last year) there was a thing where you could borrow a BenQ monitor for the duration of your time at BYOC. Will there be a similar program this year?

It would be nice to carry one less thing on my journey~!

I asked this question for Prime/West BYOC 2015, here was the answer:
    cely wrote: »
    @Dreggor Will BenQ monitors be loaned out again this year?

I seriously doubt it, they didn't have them at South or East this year (they had them at East 2014) and the person at BenQ I talked to last year didn't seem enthusiastic about continuing the program.
    BTW hobbseltoff was right, there weren't any loaner monitors for Prime/West BYOC 2015.

rqUHgCM.png
  • conkconk Seattle, waRegistered User regular
    I purchased my BYOC badge on 8/16, i imagine my BYOC tickets will be at will-call? Also we will be there to set up our booth / pick up our staff badges the day before PAX actually starts; can we pick up the BYOC badge then?

edited September 2016
    Will-call is supposed to be open on Thursday, Sept 1st between 8am-6pm, bring photo id that matches the name on the order.

EDIT: Will-call is open on Thursday between 8am-8pm. Bring your Order Confirmation and Photo ID that matches the name on your order.

cely on
    rqUHgCM.png
    From what I was told, being in a similar situation, yes the BYOC badge should be at will call. I was told to bring the confirmation email with me, so you might want to bring a copy of that too along with your ID. Might not be necessary, but I'm sure it'll make it easier.

XyqJPIp.png
  • grouchonthecouchgrouchonthecouch senor Felony Way, WARegistered User new member
    I've got a party of 3 so if anyone wants to join up so we can reserve some seating that would be awesome. We bathe daily, wear deodorant, and don't smoke or wear patchouli oil. So if you are looking for a good smelling group of 3 to sit close to, hit me up.

Seating chart updated, sorry for the delay was on a work road trip.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    cely wrote: »
    Will-call is supposed to be open on Thursday, Sept 1st between 8am-6pm, bring photo id that matches the name on the order.

Oh nice. My day badges are at will call (have BYOC in hand) and didn't want to deal with will call morning of.

@grouchonthecouch I have 3 others (including myself, we are also regular bathers; actually we work in the game industry) and are looking to form a byoc Voltron with 3 others. I sent you a PM; please let me know if you want to join forces and i will get you our names for the registration!

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Question, I've seen people doing this in the past but want to be sure. Is it ok to bring in a cooler with ice and nonalcoholic drinks? Probably only water in fact? Not a super giant one either it would fit under the table in front of 1 person.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

@elmofuntz i would say refer to the Wiki for any of that; it says your not supposed to bring a cooler larger then a lunch box. http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/BYOC

• CyordonCyordon Registered User new member
    Are the BYOC tournaments finalized?

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    conk wrote: »
    @elmofuntz i would say refer to the Wiki for any of that; it says your not supposed to bring a cooler larger then a lunch box. http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/BYOC

My lunchboxes are pretty big :P

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• decon61decon61 Registered User new member
    edited August 2016
    Question: so Im an enforcer and also got myself a byoc pass, is there any way I can bring in my PC early? Im planning to be there Thurs in the AM to help set up. And it would be great not to have to drive on the official first day of pax to drop off my computer.

Also I'm assuming dual monitors is a no??

decon61 on
    n49kxxdh88vn.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    It's one 24" monitor per seat.

Edit: actually 27", per the email.

mcdermott on
    Seating chart updated, this will likely be the final unless I get something in the next few hours.

I also added the contents of the BYOC mailer that was sent to all ticket purchasers today.

See you all at PAX!

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    Cyordon wrote: »

I am trying to get those guys to come over here and post all of that but it's like pulling teeth, I will try to bribe them with snacks or something.

-=Dreggor
    PAX Prime PC Room Deputy
    PAX East PC Room Deputy
    @
    Dreggor wrote: »
    Cyordon wrote: »

I am trying to get those guys to come over here and post all of that but it's like pulling teeth, I will try to bribe them with snacks or something.

@Dreggor I took a look at the new seating chart; my group is not on it :/ We are supposed to be in seats Q20-25 Group Name: AMP Voltron

This discussion has been closed.