As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is there a baker in the house? (Homemade Frosting questions!)

ToxTox I kill threadshe/himRegistered User regular
Long story short I'm going to attempt white chocolate buttercream frosting. I've never made frosting before and am not much of a baker, but I've no problems following a recipe.

I have a Wilton recipe, I'm open to other recommendations, and I also have some general questions.

My wife (the baker, for whom I'm doing this, as a surprise), says for a white buttercream it's best to use shortening and butter flavor, since actual butter yellows it. Can I just one-to-one sub shortening for butter, and add butter flavoring (maybe instead of the vanilla? How much do I add though?)

In addition, I've looked at some other buttercream recipes (Wilton has several), and some suggest meringue powder, and some use heavy whipping cream. I'm open to these, but have no idea how they'll impact the recipe and final product, and how I should sub them in (or if I should).

So I guess mostly I'm curious has anybody ever made white chocolate buttercream frosting before, how did it go, and what if any tricks do folks recommend?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    I've made a couple buttercreams in my day, including a white chocolate buttercream; unless you're looking for a sheet white color, the confectioner's sugar plus melted white chocolate lightens it up enough

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/white-chocolate-buttercream is the recipe I followed when I made mine

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I've made a couple buttercreams in my day, including a white chocolate buttercream; unless you're looking for a sheet white color, the confectioner's sugar plus melted white chocolate lightens it up enough

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/white-chocolate-buttercream is the recipe I followed when I made mine

Pretty much this. It may be slightly off-white, but the flavor difference between actual butter and shortening is huge. You could also pick up a frosting coloring agent like this one. A good grocery store likely has that or something extremely similar. Somewhere more specialized would likely have some of the powdered colorings as well, and those would generally be my preference.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    10+2+1 ratio confectioners sugar+butter+milk. Whip it until it's fluffy. Add vanilla powder if you want it (fairly restrained. Like a teaspoon per 3-5 cups).
    1+0.5 White chocolate+whipping cream. Add chocolate to the whipping cream. Heat under heavy stirring until the chocolate has melted. Add it to the sugar+milk mixture (slowly) while whipping.

The result will be off-white, but not yellow.

I don't like shortening. Using milk&cream gives you a colour that's almost as white, but a lot creamier/tastier.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    In my experience with baking (I'm a cook not a baker) don't overcomplicate, and try the recipe out 1st before you need to deliver.

Taste beats visual appeal. Don't use shortening and "butter flavor" for your buttercream.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    It ended up working out! I just followed the recipe straight up (well, halved).

It was barely not too sweet for her, and it helped that I didn't spread it on terribly thick

https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/i8/r27exjm9svkc.jpg

woo!

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac